Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Plutonis posted:

If you care about a marvel netflix show you should be sent to a Cambodian rice field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Race was a flawed concept from the beginning so there's not gonna be any way to express it that everyone is going to agree with. Human migrations and physical adaptations and stuff is just way too complex to be expressed that way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

R. Mute posted:

hey guess what the latin word for black is, my bro

Ater?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nah, Americans don't call Indians Asians. We make the distinction, so there's gotta some reason the British don't.

i think you're just being weird india and pakistan and also afghanistan are in asia

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

^

the new deus ex games are competent games, fun, but they don't have their finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist like the original deus ex game did.

QFT

Though Human Revolution has a news anchor who's actually the holographic projection of an AI who spins the news

So it predicted Meygan Kelly

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I usually think of "Oriental" as kind of like "Negro" in that it was considered a polite term in the era of open slurs, but is now really awkward, dated, and still carries the association with that era.

The "m'lady" of race, if you will.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I used oriental growing up in majority Asian Hawaii growing up in the 80s. I guess it's archaic now, but i never thought of it as being derogatory.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I usually think of "Oriental" as kind of like "Negro" in that it was considered a polite term in the era of open slurs, but is now really awkward, dated, and still carries the association with that era.

It's closer to how people refered to Africa as the "Dark Continent." It undeniably has an overtly racist meaning behind the name, but it's meant to be used in a more geographical and sociological context than as a way to define someone racially.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hodgepodge posted:

this is how I've always seen it, it's how my grandparents used it and it's how the old rear end creator of Iron Fist used it.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
It's easy:

East Asia (China, Japan, Korea, etc)

South-east Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.)

South Asia (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc.)

Mid-east or West Asia (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, etc.)

So unless they've stated a preference, I usually say that a person from India is "South Asian", a person from Thailand is "Southeast Asian", a person from China is "East Asian", and a person from Iraq is "Middle Eastern".

This is just a general rule, but it seems overall fair, dunno.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

this thread is getting pretty inscrutable

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
>_<

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
baka

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

ted cruz' former mistress

Thanks.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

lmao the "alt-left's" snake is going to be way too busy eating its own tail to ever eat any frogs

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

lmao the "alt-left's" snake is going to be way too busy eating its own tail to ever eat any frogs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sorosboros

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Didn't old people lived through a time when 'oriental' was the PC word?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Kingfish posted:

Didn't old people lived through a time when 'oriental' was the PC word?

My Dad visited me in Seattle a few years ago and he commented about how many "orientals" were around and I had to explain that "Asian" is the proper term.

He thought oriental was the PC term. He was 80 years old and from a small town so :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Baloogan posted:

Sorosboros

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/samueloakford/status/843499965368451072

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

It's gonna be Benjamin Franklin's "Join, or Die" snake except all but one segments are labelled "splitters".

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Gotta get out of this warzone!

*heads towards neighboring, more violent warzone*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

twoday posted:

Gotta get out of this warzone!

*heads towards neighboring, more violent warzone*

It's the other way around. The Somalis were fleeing Yemen.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/841828790372323328

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Mar 22, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Orient is rooted in its relation to the Occident, meaning the West. It exoticizes Asians as an alien other unnecessarily.

I don't think saying east asian or western european is otherizing though, at least at this point in time those terms are standard. And Europe being called 'the west' in exactly the same terms as someone would call China 'the east' implies what, an israel centric world?

The problem with Oriental is its conflation with orientalism and the historical ignorance and curiosity about eastern cultures. Just like in modern terms there's nothing wrong with saying Obama is the first Black President, but for most people using 'Negro' instead of black would bring up a reminder of the painful historical ignorance this country once had.

Negro and oriental are reminders of our racist past so by changing the to more common equivalent words we're trying to forget that past, but it's totally caught up in history not something innate to the words.

Some young people in asia are very careful not to call caucasians residing in their country 'old foreigner' as it carries the same kind of antiquated ignorance.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Maxwells Demon posted:

East Asian. Or something to do with Han people/ethnicity.

Calling china a han nation is like calling america a white nation. majority yeah but it doesn't really feel good to say that. even hua doesn't really feel right...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

our racist past

Whew! Glad that's over!

Modest Mao posted:

Some young people in asia are very careful not to call caucasians

I'm going to start screaming racist at people who use that term. The correct term is anglo saxon. :smugdon:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/160925742031572993

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

As in "And may God have mercy on your soul?" Because I'm not really parsing that any other way.

Edit: I like to imagine Joe Pa as Prometheus, only it's a badger breaking his leg every day instead of an eagle eating his liver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qA-WjRPUvY

Sexual Lorax has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Mar 22, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexual Lorax posted:

As in "And may God have mercy on your soul?" Because I'm not really parsing that any other way.

Edit: I like to imagine Joe Pa as Prometheus, only it's a badger breaking his leg every day instead of an eagle eating his liver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qA-WjRPUvY

"God save" is a phrase for the living. It's literally the British anthem praying to God to bless their monarch lmao

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

dont even fink about it posted:

I wish I didn't have to explain this Sociology 101 poo poo, but Oriental is an extremely antiquated term that now does really nothing but otherize people. It's been stricken from use in American law, for example.

To be fair it's just a situation of "this word was used a slur, so now it is a slur, so we have to pick a new word."

I guess it's a decent shortcut to figure out how "woke" someone is, but it's not very helpful to figure out if they are actually racist.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Your daily Chelsea tweet from The Hill has arrived

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/844554782794829824

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baloogan posted:

Sorosboros

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Baloogan posted:

Sorosboros

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
She was and still is a boss in the literal sense.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Peanut President posted:

She was and still is a boss hubris-addled nepotism case that went on too long in the literal sense.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I believe what gentle poster Peanut Prez is suggesting, is that Hillary is a member of the ruling capitalist class, and thus by extension the enemy of workers.

edit: blagh no good image link

Mr. Lobe has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

found this in a sean spicer tweet thread and its something~