Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

At a guess, the quest will reset when you finish the playthrough and you'll have to do it again. You won't be able to on Play A now.

There's a small chance you will be able to go down as soon as you get to the ruins in Play B but I doubt it.

I did the exact same thing as him and can confirm that yes he has to do the whole quest over on route B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Jean-Paul was censored out? Where? I don't remember seeing or hearing it in-game.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I did the exact same thing as him and can confirm that yes he has to do the whole quest over on route B.

This can be pretty bad, I missed the last part of the Wandering Couple and had to fork over another 50k in the next play through.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RanKizama posted:

Jean-Paul was censored out? Where? I don't remember seeing or hearing it in-game.

The in-game text was changed to to just "Jean-Paul," but there's a piece of dialogue during his questline where, after visiting the NPC in the desert, 9S says his full name outloud, where it's bleeped.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Note that the Japanese audio still calls him Sartre and isn't bleeped at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This can be pretty bad, I missed the last part of the Wandering Couple and had to fork over another 50k in the next play through.

Same it was dumb. Fortunately the one other time in Route C I had quests auto fail, I noticed right away and reloaded

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And the explanation makes perfect sense, because sensorship beep feels too short to be beeping out Jean-Paul, but is probably about right for Sartre.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I imagine it's a Jojo's-style situation where Araki can get away with naming his Stands after rock/metal albums and singers, but they have to get creative trying to translate them over due to differing copyright laws.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

Because foreign people will not win in Japanese court. I took a class about IP rights last year, and the professor said that if you're not a Japanese company or a Japanese citizen, don't bother trying to protect your IP in Japan. You can't. It will be very expensive and most of the time you will still lose.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Regy Rusty posted:

gently caress. Well, at least the intermittent quest dialogue is funny. :sigh:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Vermain posted:

The in-game text was changed to to just "Jean-Paul," but there's a piece of dialogue during his questline where, after visiting the NPC in the desert, 9S says his full name outloud, where it's bleeped.
Gotcha. Thank you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, uh, I got asked by the game if I wanted to help out another player... in exchange for having my save file deleted.

Which was preceded by 15 minutes of "hacking" the credits screen in which the names shot bullets at me.

What a loving game.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 22, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

ViggyNash posted:

I don't know how to spoiler tag.

Spoiler tag. Use it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
May want to spoiler that, chief.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Don't spoil the literal capstone of the game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I got so, so very close to being done without any of you dopes spoiling anything for me. Bye until I'm finished with E I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Same it was dumb. Fortunately the one other time in Route C I had quests auto fail, I noticed right away and reloaded

Yeah I thought people in here had said that the point of no return for sidequests was very obviously telegraphed, but I didn't see it coming at all. I was just wandering around exploring a new area and then it's like, welp looks like I'm beating path A now.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Papercut posted:

Yeah I thought people in here had said that the point of no return for sidequests was very obviously telegraphed, but I didn't see it coming at all. I was just wandering around exploring a new area and then it's like, welp looks like I'm beating path A now.
Anemone tells you that if you have other things to do first then to go ahead and do them. That's as much of an announcement as you can get without the game just flashing a warning at you inguess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RanKizama posted:

Anemone tells you that if you have other things to do first then to go ahead and do them. That's as much of an announcement as you can get without the game just flashing a warning at you inguess.

She told me that but then I went and did a bunch of side quests and then was just wandering around. It's not like it's a huge deal, but I definitely prefer games that give you the "are you sure you want to go in here right now?" warning before the point of no return.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's only a temporary thing, you'll be able to do those side quests later. don't worry about it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

It didn't parse that way at for me. What she says is something like "If you have more important YorHa business to attend to first, I understand". Almost every questgiver in the game is like "well, I shouldn't bother you, but would it be too much trouble it you..."

So it just seemed like more of that. It never occurred to me until your post just now that it was supposed to be a warning that it was a point of no return.

Somewhat related, I noticed last night that most quests that "have progress saved" between playthroughs are actually broken down into separate quests. Like Father Servo. Quest progress isn't saved, but each encounter with him is a distinct quest. You can see them in your completed quest log. I'm not sure about quests like the Inventor.

edit: ^ I don't know why you keep saying this. Yes, it's true, but I think most people problems is that if you had done 90% of a questline but not finished it, you're back at zero when you come back to it. That's the annoying part. I had to do all of Jean-Paul's errand running again because I hadn't talked to the very last person. I had to go get 2 photographs I already had. Someone earlier mentioned they had to pay 50kG again because they didn't do the final checkpoint of Wandering Couple.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The inventor and the relic dude in the desert just persist over multiple play throughs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/stalkeralker/status/844601031040249856

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
reminder that "droid" is trademarked, which is bullshit.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The more I think about it the more the flip-flopping characterization during some sidequests makes sense for 9S but less so for 2B. 9S is at the same time an idealistic newbie who buys super hard into the whole "Glory for mankind" rhetoric and is the type who plays entirely by the book at the beginning but is also still not yet jaded enough by the conflict that even though he keeps repeating the stuff Command has hammered into his head about the machines he's still intrigued by them. Hence he kinda goes back and forth on being a good soldier boy and actually feeling some sympathy for the enemies he's been taught to dehumanize until he snaps from his first real trauma that is

It makes me like his character a bit more.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Wow, just watched someone on twitch fail the late game Pascal vs Engels fight. I didn't even know it was possible.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

ghostinmyshell posted:

Wow, just watched someone on twitch fail the late game Pascal vs Engels fight. I didn't even know it was possible.
Hold down machine gun and press square like, what? Three times?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any recommended LPs of the other Yoko Taro games?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I failed it the other day. He stun locked me after his animation go through marginally quicker.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/?ctp=63#c135512305397403708

The thing that might boost PC FPS rates significantly may not be too far from releasing.

Alain Post posted:

TheDarkId's on lparchive
https://lparchive.org/author/The%20Dark%20Id

They're text based which might not be what you're looking for, but he 100%'s all of them so you'll not find anything more comprehensive.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Alain Post posted:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alain Post posted:

The Dark Id's tend to be the go-tos, you can find them on lparchive.org. He's a screenshot LPer though, so if you're looking for VLPs, you may wanna look elsewhere.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I failed it the other day. He stun locked me after his animation go through marginally quicker.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/?ctp=63#c135512305397403708

The thing that might boost PC FPS rates significantly may not be too far from releasing.

TheDarkId's on lparchive

They're text based which might not be what you're looking for, but he 100%'s all of them so you'll not find anything more comprehensive.

If you use the evade button you do a guard that lets you start a hit on the enemy Engels while he's still stuck in cooldown animation. You actually can't get stunlocked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also game-play wise, is there a reason to use counter when evade exists and also lets you do the instant-launch counterattack

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alain Post posted:

also game-play wise, is there a reason to use counter when evade exists and also lets you do the instant-launch counterattack

Same reason you do anything, it looks cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Counter also lets you do that same counterattack and it reflects the damage back to the enemy, capping out at 250% of the incoming damage reflected. Until you get Overclock, it's probably better than dodging in an objective sense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I got my first Overclock chip somewhere in the forest. What does it do besides slow time down?

Also I keep doing the dodge-counter and then launching nothing into the air

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I got my first Overclock chip somewhere in the forest. What does it do besides slow time down?

It slows down time meaning you can get more windows to kill things.
Some enemies seem to poise through the dodge launcher for reasons I don't know but fewer do so with the jump+heavy launcher.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

The more I think about it the more the flip-flopping characterization during some sidequests makes sense for 9S but less so for 2B. 9S is at the same time an idealistic newbie who buys super hard into the whole "Glory for mankind" rhetoric and is the type who plays entirely by the book at the beginning but is also still not yet jaded enough by the conflict that even though he keeps repeating the stuff Command has hammered into his head about the machines he's still intrigued by them. Hence he kinda goes back and forth on being a good soldier boy and actually feeling some sympathy for the enemies he's been taught to dehumanize until he snaps from his first real trauma that is

It makes me like his character a bit more.

2B's flip-flops make sense in the context of her likely knowing the secret behind YoRHa already. As an Execution-type model whose specific purpose is to kill 9S whenever he gets too close to the truth, she'd have to know what the truth is to do her duty properly, not to mention her having killed 9S several times already. She's torn between the knowledge that machines aren't really just soulless monsters - that they can think and feel - and the knowledge that, if she lets on to this too much, 9S' natural curiosity will lead him to start questioning things too closely, and then she'll have to execute him all over again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
big ending spoilers, so has YoRHa constantly been getting destroyed and reformed, or did I not understand that bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the dodge-counter is actually weapon dependent, so if you're fighting against an enemy that doesn't get launched, use something other than a short sword.

Although being able to instantly put yourself up into the air to reposition or do a heavy slam is still useful.