Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, you wait ages for a Magic Blink and two come along at once. Selphie's and Ovelia's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh, well poo poo. I haven't looked too closely at the formulas and stuff after the attack softcap got raised, but I'm guessing I'm not capped most of the time anymore, so I might have to give Eiko a whirl.

IIRC it sets the party crit rate to 50%. It's pretty good

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh, well poo poo. I haven't looked too closely at the formulas and stuff after the attack softcap got raised, but I'm guessing I'm not capped most of the time anymore, so I might have to give Eiko a whirl.

Critical hits deal 50% increased damage, so critting 50% of the time instead of nearly never is a 25% increase in damage.

Theoretically.

If you are doing 6666 or less damage per regular hit this ends up being mostly true (discounting base crit rate that ranges from 0-3%). As you approach 9999 base damage the benefit diminishes pretty substantially.

It works well when you can't hit a boss's elemental weakness or really hard content.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I only just started playing this, but I suspect my vague feeling of disappointment from that half off healer thing is justified.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I only just started playing this, but I suspect my vague feeling of disappointment from that half off healer thing is justified.

Hello Healing Staff II friend. Let's be miserable together.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Well, when you're new, any medica is a good medica.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you just started, you probably don't need the level of healing a burst provides just yet, and you will be thankful for the convenience of an instant-cast heal.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

1/11, Ancient Lute.

I guess I'm glad I'm saving my luck for better banners...?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Like they said, it will be very useful since you don't have a medica yet.

But it's still about as bad as you could pull.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MikeSevigny posted:

If you just started, you probably don't need the level of healing a burst provides just yet, and you will be thankful for the convenience of an instant-cast heal.

OR, if he just started, like really just started, it might make more sense to reroll and pull again until he gets a healer bsb.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Combo posted:

OR, if he just started, like really just started, it might make more sense to reroll and pull again until he gets a healer bsb.

I think I agree with that. If your account is brand new and you haven't pulled on the III/IX/T Lucky Draw banner, and you don't mind stomaching a reroll, it's about the best time to bite that bullet. Past midnight PST tonight will be too late.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KPC_Mammon posted:

It works well when you can't hit a boss's elemental weakness or really hard content.

Yeah, but you know what doesn't work well in really hard content?

The white mage made of actual tissue paper who has no HP/defense boosts due to no Record Sphere.

I think she maxes at like 4300 HP.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you reroll right now, won't you get 25 free mythril from the anniversary celebration login bonus? That'd make rerolling the Medica banner really easy

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Got Asylum as my first medica BSB from Lucky Draw. Lucky indeed.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

U-DO Burger posted:

If you reroll right now, won't you get 25 free mythril from the anniversary celebration login bonus? That'd make rerolling the Medica banner really easy
Yes you will get the 25 mythril, plus two for the regular login bonuses!

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, but you know what doesn't work well in really hard content?

The white mage made of actual tissue paper who has no HP/defense boosts due to no Record Sphere.

I think she maxes at like 4300 HP.
Eiko has 4169 HP at level 80 and 5135 HP at level 99. If "no Record Sphere" is a dealbreaker for you then you value small stat boosts a hell of a lot more than I do; her sphere stuff gets her all of 475 HP and 6 RES for defensive stats.

Even at level 80 I didn't have a problem using Eiko with my physical team to beat U+ and U++ fights. I've moved on to the mage life though

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Eiko's squishiness in Torment and above content would definitely be my main concern. I'm at a weird point now where U+ / U++ fights aren't even remotely challenging, but I still gas out on some of the D200 Torment stuff and probably can't touch any of the 250s. A 25% damage increase with Eiko's BSB would definitely help in that regard, but I'm not sure if she's sturdy enough to not get gibbed by the insane amounts of AoE / piercing attacks / etc. in that content.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I've been using Eiko ever since the BSB lucky last year and yeah she squishy. I haven't touched any Torment stuff but occasionally on the Multiplayer or U++'s she can't handle it.

I just got Vanille's BSB so I'm gonna switch to her and see how that compares.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To throw my two cents in as a fellow Hamelin owner, Eiko's squishiness is definitely something you have to plan around, but it's generally not an insurmountable obstacle to using her. Making sure to prioritize giving her a synergy armor when you equip the party usually does the job, and if she's still dying a lot, there's always the option of giving her one of the 700 hp accessories. I've had to do that a few times, and you shouldn't underestimate how much of a difference it makes. It's not like Eiko really needs more mind to do her job.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Combo posted:

Tried deleting the app and it didn't seem to clear the data. I haven't linked it to Facebook or anything so I'm guessing it's hooked to my iPhone/apple account or whatever.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iPodschun posted:

Eiko has 4169 HP at level 80 and 5135 HP at level 99. If "no Record Sphere" is a dealbreaker for you then you value small stat boosts a hell of a lot more than I do; her sphere stuff gets her all of 475 HP and 6 RES for defensive stats.

Even at level 80 I didn't have a problem using Eiko with my physical team to beat U+ and U++ fights. I've moved on to the mage life though

Well, no, the deal breaker is that she's made of glass. I was kind of hoping the dive would get her more than that, more than anything.

She's fine in U+/U++ if you've got her leveled, but when you're looking at multiplayer Apoc or Torment stages she starts falling apart when things so much as brush against her; one of my non-pub friends always brings Ramza and Eiko, and it's rare that said Eiko doesn't eat dirt somewhere in the apoc fight.

Cattail Prophet posted:

To throw my two cents in as a fellow Hamelin owner, Eiko's squishiness is definitely something you have to plan around, but it's generally not an insurmountable obstacle to using her. Making sure to prioritize giving her a synergy armor when you equip the party usually does the job, and if she's still dying a lot, there's always the option of giving her one of the 700 hp accessories. I've had to do that a few times, and you shouldn't underestimate how much of a difference it makes. It's not like Eiko really needs more mind to do her job.

That's definitely something to keep in mind and I'll recommend slapping some Protective Headgear Of Adel on her if she keeps ending up in our team setups.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eiko was in the party I beat Nemesis with in Japan. She's sturdy enough to survive Ultima immediately followed by Transcendent Ultima if you get her to level 99 and dive her for HP. EDIT: And this was without any HP from gear, because you have to equip Slow Resistance against Nemesis.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Here are the numbers at level 99 for what are probably the top three healers in Global right now, per Enlir:

Vanille:

5525 HP, 105 DEF, 167 RES

Eiko:

5135 HP, 97 DEF, 194 RES

Y'shtola:

5525 HP, 108 DEF, 176 RES

There's certainly a difference but I don't know that "made of glass" is fair for a difference of ten DEF and 400 HP when compared to Vanille, not even touching her surprisingly sturdy RES stat. I mean, no offense to your friend but my non-99, non-dived Eiko has survived every Apoc I've taken her to that wasn't a failure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok so which dungeon has the best xp/stamina ratio?

Orbfest 90 stam

Sundaily 90 stam

FF6 event 100 stam

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, numerically Eiko has below-average HP and DEF for a white mage but exceptional RES, and her DEF/HP aren't like low to the point of being anomalous outliers

She can certainly do with equipment options that bolster them in exchange for losing a bit of MND or w/e, but that's true of most white mages, and her RES is more above-average than her DEF/HP are below it

I could be missing something bc I barely use her (never pulled a Hamelin rip) but just purely on paper the problem seems overstated

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Orbfest 90 stam

Sundaily 90 stam

FF6 event 100 stam

I'm pretty sure orbfest beats the current sundialy and ff6, but loses to the upcoming remix sundaily

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I mean, no offense to your friend

Nah, man, all the offense. :v: In all seriousness I'll have to check next time I end up in a group with him; he might be using a Lv80-capped Eiko which would be the entire problem with Apoc fights; I rarely if ever bring anyone to those that isn't at Lv99 already.

I was making statements based on partial evidence and anecdotal non-data, so while she's squishy, it's not as absurd as I thought.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, numerically Eiko has below-average HP and DEF for a white mage but exceptional RES, and her DEF/HP aren't like low to the point of being anomalous outliers

She can certainly do with equipment options that bolster them in exchange for losing a bit of MND or w/e, but that's true of most white mages, and her RES is more above-average than her DEF/HP are below it

I could be missing something bc I barely use her (never pulled a Hamelin rip) but just purely on paper the problem seems overstated

Like, it's not an extreme outlier like comparing Onion Knight before Level 90 or somehting, but Eiko really does have the lowest DEF in the game. She's the only one who doesn't crack 100 DEF at Level 99, she reaches 97 DEF. For comparison, the average DEF for White 5 users is 114 (120 with Beatrix, Ceodore and Minfilia included), the average is 140 and Edgar and Pencil, the DEF kings, have 209 DEF. Her RES deficient counterparts, Fran and Luneth, hit 109 and 112 RES but have significantly more HP.

Eiko almost has the lowest HP too. Palom, Porom, Echo, Vivi tie for last, and Matoya and Deuce from Type-0 have just slightly less HP then her at Level 99.

Her Record Dive won't help that much though, even if it helps a little. (475 HP/0 DEF/17 MAG/6 RES/28 MND/+9% White Healing/+6% Summon Damage/ Bard 4 -> Bard 5)

edit: doing all this research really makes me want to get Larsa's BSB when it comes out.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 22, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

Orbfest 90 stam

Sundaily 90 stam

FF6 event 100 stam
Minimum exp from an Orbfest level is 110k but tops out at like 290k with three groups of Minituars. One Cactuar spawn brings it up around 160k. Lots of orbs/materials and gil too, of course

Sundaily is 174k.

I don't plan on running the event EXP dungeon but a quick scan on Reddit had someone saying that it's better than Sundaily for VI characters but worse for everyone else.

As Mithross mentioned, the new daily EXP dungeon on Sunday and Tuesday will be better than old Sundaily but not by much. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5x2onn/daily_dungeons_will_be_revamped_very_soon/ says "6018 exp per stamina instead of 5814"

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Eiko is definitely less-squishy at 99, but she was stuck at 80 for so long that I think that negative perception of squishyness is going to follow her around for a long time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anyone else having an issue with the 120 difficulty fight in the ff6 event? Everytime he uses fiendish rage I get a system error and punted back to the start up screen

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

paperwind posted:

Eiko is definitely less-squishy at 99, but she was stuck at 80 for so long that I think that negative perception of squishyness is going to follow her around for a long time.

Yeah this is where it comes from in my mind, for sure. I am leveling her to 99 now but for most of the time I've used her she's been at 80 so at ~4k hp instead of 5500 for Ysh and Vanille. That's a big difference.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

fridge corn posted:

Anyone else having an issue with the 120 difficulty fight in the ff6 event? Everytime he uses fiendish rage I get a system error and punted back to the start up screen

Same, took 3 tries to kill it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hot diggity when did they put a learn all button for record spheres

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Just this last update.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Cowcaster posted:

bout 2 weeks ago

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't really been using Thieves much, since I hadn't pulled any relics for them. But since getting Leila's relics in the II event, along with the Poison Dagger 5* ability, I've been having a lot of fun with them. If I want to start using Locke, or crafting some better Thief abilities, what should I prioritize? I know Mug Bloodlust is good, but I don't have any job motes because I can't clear Torment yet, but outside that is there anything worth investing in?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I haven't really been using Thieves much, since I hadn't pulled any relics for them. But since getting Leila's relics in the II event, along with the Poison Dagger 5* ability, I've been having a lot of fun with them. If I want to start using Locke, or crafting some better Thief abilities, what should I prioritize? I know Mug Bloodlust is good, but I don't have any job motes because I can't clear Torment yet, but outside that is there anything worth investing in?

I've gotten some great mileage from Thief's Revenge. That life steal has saved my rear end several times in multiplayer, with decent damage as a great bonus.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

make sure to get poison leaves for free from the ff2 event before it leaves on the 26th

haha whoops i can't read; dash & slash is good too, wind is a p. common weakness from what i've seen

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I can't imagine using a character on challenging content without at least one good break. What do you already have for Locke? Having his BSB would mean honing different abilities than his SSB or OSB.

And if it is for auto attacking trash encounters it really doesn't matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't use them much either aside from Rikku, and her skillset is so good that most of the time I'm not even using thief skills on her at all, but sometimes I throw Thief's Revenge on her and it does pretty respectable damage. Also nice if you don't have a healing BSB since the self-heal takes some pressure off of your white mage in AoE-heavy fights.

I haven't tried Poison Leaves yet, but assuming it's the same as Dash and Slash, but poison instead, those aren't bad either if you've got some good daggers - though to be honest I think you might still just be better off with a spellblade most of the time (someone who knows the multipliers, correct me here if I'm wrong).

Thief skills are kinda underwhelming in general, but they usually have pretty handy SBs that let you stack debuffs. It might just be because I don't have a lot of good relics for them (especially daggers), but aside from Mug Bloodlust and Thief's Revenge, I don't see myself ever crafting / using any of the others except maybe if I end up in a really weird CM situation somewhere down the line.

• Locked thread