Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

...and the pitch! posted:

I actually thought it might be Snoop even tho I haven't seen a poster like that. I'm excited.

I don't know dick about bass amps sorry I'm not more "amped" about that part.

As promised:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's awesome.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Killbot posted:

I got this thing. For some reason the latest version (signature on headstock, I think also new pickups) is pretty hard to find. It looks, plays, and sounds terrific.

drat that is a lovely axe.

Got something new today, been waiting for it to arrive for the past couple of weeks. 2007 Classic 60s Series MIM strat, scalloped, repainted Olympic White, Lace pickups bridge/neck, treble booster circuit. All work done by a luthier in Bulgaria. loving lovely to play; bends and vibrato with no effort. :) 7.25" radius neck, so far I have not been troubled by any "fretting out" on bends either...

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
gently caress. Yes.

Did you ship it to Bulgaria or was it a local place?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bazanga posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Did you ship it to Bulgaria or was it a local place?

I bought it from a guy there who had all the work done by a local luthier. Here in Sweden the labor alone would've cost more than I paid for the entire finished guitar.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

drat that strat's nice

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Clayton Bigsby posted:

drat that is a lovely axe.

Got something new today, been waiting for it to arrive for the past couple of weeks. 2007 Classic 60s Series MIM strat, scalloped, repainted Olympic White, Lace pickups bridge/neck, treble booster circuit. All work done by a luthier in Bulgaria. loving lovely to play; bends and vibrato with no effort. :) 7.25" radius neck, so far I have not been troubled by any "fretting out" on bends either...

Looks great!
Explain scalloping to me, I've never really encountered it. My first guess would be that it would let you do bends by pushing in?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

sout posted:

Looks great!
Explain scalloping to me, I've never really encountered it. My first guess would be that it would let you do bends by pushing in?

Unless you are using ultra thin strings you would really have to push quite hard. What I like is that there's no resistance for vibrato or bends since your fingertip is not against the wood. Makes everything smoother.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Ah that makes a lot more sense.
I still need a guitar with a tremolo, I'm missing out on a lot of fun ornamentation stuff.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I bought it from a guy there who had all the work done by a local luthier. Here in Sweden the labor alone would've cost more than I paid for the entire finished guitar.

That's nuts. Looks good too.

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails

quote:

From what I've been able to find, these were only made for a couple years in the mid 90s. It's missing a string, and the rest are rusty as hell. Neck is straight, frets are good, if a bit yellow/green from never being cleaned. Whole thing is just dirty. Seriously, does no one ever wipe things down? Bridge volume pot is iffy, but seems to be clearing up the more it gets turned back and forth. Played around with it at the pawn shop and couldn't find any issues that weren't related to the lovely Line 6 amp I was using. My cost out the door was $177, which I'm pretty happy with.

Oh man, that's a steal. I picked up one of those a few years back, great guitar. I think I payed at least $100 more. The previous owner installed Gibson Firebird pickups which give it a very Neil & Crazy Horse sound.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love that Strat. The Yngwie aesthetic is perfection and I really have to try out a scalloped neck someday.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sout posted:

Ah that makes a lot more sense.
I still need a guitar with a tremolo, I'm missing out on a lot of fun ornamentation stuff.

Better yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KigM0F9heE8 :getin:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAbB1piGSk

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love that Strat. The Yngwie aesthetic is perfection and I really have to try out a scalloped neck someday.

It's worth checking out. I personally love it (for one, it makes finger placement for chords far less crucial), but it's definitely different from playing a normal neck. Honestly can't say that I see any drawbacks to it, though I imagine if you are really grabbing the strings hard things might go sharp...

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I've always wanted to play one, but that is my concern. I tend to grab the poo poo outta the neck, and I'm sure I would bend everything sharp as gently caress. Although that might be the incentive to use one, break some bad habits.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's why I'm so interested in one. The one thing I always try to focus on while playing is using as little effort as possible for my desired output. Scalloped frets would likely keep me even more mindful of that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stopped by a pawn shop while I was out today to see if I could get lucky and I did:

One of the best overdrives for guitar and a genuine analog delay with a Cool Audio V3205 BBD chip. Result!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ODB is a kick rear end initialization too.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
It's my first new instrument day in ten loving years. I'm really excited about this one.

Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar by Eastwood. Ridiculously fun. Pickups sound great. Pots are poo poo and are gonna get replaced immediately. Sounds insanely great with a slide through my 1995 '63 Reissue Fender Vibroverb (serial #1). Thinking of recording a cover of "Dark was the night, cold was the ground" with it.

And to top it all off it looks like a Fender Mustang with a little bit of Danelectro in its genetic makeup.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I've done it! I've broken the curse! The black hole is plugged, it's all full! I'm free!

Now if I can just figure out where I can fit a second rack...

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Extortionist posted:

I've done it! I've broken the curse! The black hole is plugged, it's all full! I'm free!

Now if I can just figure out where I can fit a second rack...

There's no cure you fool.
Just a brief respite until you start the next case :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just bought a friend's Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz for $200. Gonna get my Jesus and Mary Chain on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUH_kVFBlVM

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just bought a friend's Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz for $200. Gonna get my Jesus and Mary Chain on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUH_kVFBlVM

I would just be playing early Mudhoney riffs until My Brother the Cow comes home.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

I would just be playing early Mudhoney riffs until My Brother the Cow comes home.

Yea it was a coin toss which one I did first. You don't get a Superfuzz-adjacent pedal and not play Touch Me I'm Sick.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea it was a coin toss which one I did first. You don't get a Superfuzz-adjacent pedal and not play Touch Me I'm Sick.

:hfive:

Here, have an even earlier one where the fuzz is so thick they couldn't tell how out of tune they were. Also, they were probably really drunk. I mean, they say it in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBn_2LCD9Gc

(Had no idea the remaster sounded so good. Guess I know what I'm buying today.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

New poo poo day: some P90s for my Jazzmaster and a Sunn Model T in a can which will replace my orange micro terror as my recording "amp."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My buddy has been tracking solos for his LP and he's using Lollar singles in his Strats and they sound sublime. Is that a P-90 type or a soapbar? I bet whatever it is, it's fantastic and now I need yet another guitar so I can have a set of those.

P.S. That fuzz/wah above sounds nasty as gently caress. Like some alien invasion intent on liquefying the human race.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

My buddy has been tracking solos for his LP and he's using Lollar singles in his Strats and they sound sublime. Is that a P-90 type or a soapbar? I bet whatever it is, it's fantastic and now I need yet another guitar so I can have a set of those.

P.S. That fuzz/wah above sounds nasty as gently caress. Like some alien invasion intent on liquefying the human race.

They are P90s in Jazzmaster form so less chime and more growl.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, the strat I got made me hungry for more Fender necks, so the Les Paul found a new home and was replaced with this. Played a ton of teles at the music store, and this was the one that spoke to me. Even three theoretically identical Teles all sounded and felt different; this one was the brightest and smoothest. 2016 American Standard, got the Broadcaster bridge and Twisted Tele neck pickups. Also has the relief on the back like a Strat which I love since I find the "flat" Tele less comfortable. It was a store demo model so got it for 40% off list. :-)

Now I really need a guitar with humbuckers too, so considering a Dave Murray strat later this year...

edit: stuck some guitar hangers in the hobby room so it can chill with its buddy.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I'm half tempted to get a blacktop Stratocaster since it does all that neat coil splitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9v1um3M_o

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I've been thinking about getting a 335 style guitar for a while, and I found this Eastman for a reasonable sum:

It's on it's way now and I still haven't figured out how to tell my girlfriend I bought yet another guitar.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hi, new 335(ish) friend! I got a similar urge a week or two ago and bought myself this beauty.

'93 Epiphone Sheraton, Korean (Samick), in a Metallic White Pearl all-over finish that I've never seen on another Sheraton. The lighting/pics don't do it justice and make it look Natural or kinda Blonde but it's a creamy/ivory/champagne with gold flake and has an awesome shimmer.

Has a little buzz in the low E but that's easily fixable and it otherwise plays and sounds great. I'll probably take the pickguard off, may even order a custom red glitter replacement pickguard and red/gold speed knobs, but that's all I'm planning on changing near term. Down the road I may try split humbuckers with push/pull knobs like the newer Sheraton II but I'm not in any hurry.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Lawen posted:

Hi, new 335(ish) friend! I got a similar urge a week or two ago and bought myself this beauty.

'93 Epiphone Sheraton, Korean (Samick), in a Metallic White Pearl all-over finish that I've never seen on another Sheraton. The lighting/pics don't do it justice and make it look Natural or kinda Blonde but it's a creamy/ivory/champagne with gold flake and has an awesome shimmer.

Has a little buzz in the low E but that's easily fixable and it otherwise plays and sounds great. I'll probably take the pickguard off, may even order a custom red glitter replacement pickguard and red/gold speed knobs, but that's all I'm planning on changing near term. Down the road I may try split humbuckers with push/pull knobs like the newer Sheraton II but I'm not in any hurry.

That looks awesome! I used to have a '92 I think it was that I did a full upgrade on. Getting full size pots in there was a bitch and I had to Dremel part of the f hole open. I'm not sure how much more difficult that would make doing push pulls but I can't imagine it would be fun. First and last time I'll upgrade electronics on a guitar like that.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Cross posting from Bass Megathread but a Stellartone ToneStyler Bass Eleven is a rather recent purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2em8INa0jo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do any of you own a Rivera Silent Sister? It seems like the only good iso cab on the market but it's $1,000!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do any of you own a Rivera Silent Sister? It seems like the only good iso cab on the market but it's $1,000!

No, but I have a couple of the Rockcrushers with the EQ built in. Sounds pretty good so far, my iso cabs are in the storage room now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

No, but I have a couple of the Rockcrushers with the EQ built in. Sounds pretty good so far, my iso cabs are in the storage room now.

Rheostats ARE pretty good but sound off for me.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Thorpe posted:

That looks awesome! I used to have a '92 I think it was that I did a full upgrade on. Getting full size pots in there was a bitch and I had to Dremel part of the f hole open. I'm not sure how much more difficult that would make doing push pulls but I can't imagine it would be fun. First and last time I'll upgrade electronics on a guitar like that.

Ouch. You could have worked them in through rhe bridge pickup route.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

no dad im not gay! posted:

Ouch. You could have worked them in through rhe bridge pickup route.

Not on these unfortunately, Sheratons are solid core with hollow wings. It was a bitch that took forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

The Tumnus has been on my list for a while and I finally grabbed one. Also super pumped for the Chase Bliss Gravitas coming in the mail tomorrow. First of those pedals I'll have played with and there seems to be no shortage of neat things to do with the controls / parameters.