Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Considering Nick's style, it would have been perfect if he had to continually put forward increasingly absurd guesses and bluffs about Labyrinthia and the Storyteller, and to his own amazement, turn out to be right every single time. He'd have to do the sweaty face every time he realizes his bluff was on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The ideal thing would be cross examining layton himself and finding the even crazier truth out of his batshit theory.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i cried when maya died and the turnabout sisters remix played

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
The best Layton twist is from the third game - Yes they built an entire facsimile of London UNDER London, everyone is being paid for this. Also time travel DOES work.

The real bad thing about PW x PL is the lack of more series regulars. Like Don Paolo!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jetamo posted:

The best Layton twist is from the third game - Yes they built an entire facsimile of London UNDER London, everyone is being paid for this. Also time travel DOES work.

The real bad thing about PW x PL is the lack of more series regulars. Like Don Paolo!

That one is the best twist also because by the time it gets reveal it quickly becomes just not that important anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reviving this thread to post about something insignificant that I just noticed that no one else will care about.

You know how the Pursuit themes always have a variation that begins more abruptly to suit the mood of scenes where you very suddenly turn everything around? Well, I always thought the variation was limited to the beginning being cut, but turns out, they're also slightly more intense mixes of the song!

Check out AA3 pursuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1DJ_D4chA

and variation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCm4mlQi4Rc

Variation's got some more intense drums added. I've never actually noticed this, in the games or even on my countless listenings of the soundtracks! I only did now because AA6's variation is really obvious in how it's different. It's got added orchestra hits intermittently which are hard to ignore.

(Now someone's gonna tell me these are actually the only two themes that are different. Also, sorry, I care about video game music too much.)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just finished first case of Spirit of Justice and Jesus Peeslub'n Ahndistan'din is the worst pun name I've seen in the series

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Capsaicin posted:

Just finished first case of Spirit of Justice and Jesus Peeslub'n Ahndistan'din is the worst pun name I've seen in the series

What's so funny about Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet!!!

(The Khura'in names are actually good not bad)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wait until you see the Justice Minister's name.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This rakugo case is a goddamn trip

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So, what's next for English players to look forward to. I think I remember they're already working on aa7?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The remote chance of Phoenix Wright Meets Sherlock Holmes getting translated when the the second part comes out and finishes off the story and, uh... *stares off into the distance*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still want a Detective Gumshoe game where you bumble around trying to solve crimes while Tyrell Badd yells at you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, we're kinda in the doldrums over west while they finish DaiGyaku.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I should go back and finish Investigations 2, so I can find out who ruined the world's most insanely byzantine baking contest.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Rangpur posted:

I should go back and finish Investigations 2, so I can find out who ruined the world's most insanely byzantine baking contest.

Definitely finish it, it's fantastic.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm at the point where the flashback sections end, at least. Not sure how much further it goes, since a lot of these cases are way longer than I expected. Hopefully there's not much left, because I already feel like screaming "Isn't anyone in this loving baking contest an actual, loving baker?" That's not a complaint, fwiw, it's just kinda exhausting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, we're kinda in the doldrums over west while they finish DaiGyaku.

Is there any news on that front?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any news on that front?

Last we heard, there were "special circumstances" preventing us from getting a localization.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's me, I'm the circumstance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

It's me, I'm the circumstance.

🔫

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Merry Christmas.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I can think of several potential issues:
  • The main villain turns out to be Admiral Perry
  • The cameo from Sherlock Holmes references details from the handful of stories published after 1923, which remain under copyright held by the Doyle estate
  • They handed the script to their localization team without telling them it was set in the past, and they all committed suicide rather than work out how to justify it taking place in near-future California

mod edit: Use loving spoilers for a game that is literally about reveals like this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread, I'm on 3-1, Trial at the seance. I'm really dumb and bad at this stuff but I think the initial contradiction is that the footsteps aren't getting louder, which I think means that he's walking backward into the statue? What's the actual thing I'm supposed to point out, and/or when?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Rangpur posted:

I can think of several potential issues:
  • The main villain turns out to be

Um. Is this a spoiler.

mod edit: Yes, which is why I also had to spoiler it in your quote. Put quoted spoilers in spoiler tags.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rangpur posted:

• The cameo from Sherlock Holmes references details from the handful of stories published after 1923, which remain under copyright held by the Doyle estate

That would be the easiest thing in the world to localize around.

The special circumstances are probably that they don't think it'll sell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did the first AAI sell worse than the mainline games? If so that's probably the reason we don't get any spin-offs not featuring Phoenix, even though that was like 10 loving years ago and it's a lot easier for niche games to find an audience these days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AAI sold okay. The reason we didn't get AAI2 was the dev team was disbanded before the localization process could begin.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

So, what's next for English players to look forward to. I think I remember they're already working on aa7?

Phoenix Wright being added to Smash.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Argue posted:

Um. Is this a spoiler.
Wasn't meant to be, I just took a stab in the dark about controversial plot beats. It'd be hilarious if I turned out to be right though.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

Reviving this thread to post about something insignificant that I just noticed that no one else will care about.

You know how the Pursuit themes always have a variation that begins more abruptly to suit the mood of scenes where you very suddenly turn everything around? Well, I always thought the variation was limited to the beginning being cut, but turns out, they're also slightly more intense mixes of the song!

Check out AA3 pursuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1DJ_D4chA

and variation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCm4mlQi4Rc

Variation's got some more intense drums added. I've never actually noticed this, in the games or even on my countless listenings of the soundtracks! I only did now because AA6's variation is really obvious in how it's different. It's got added orchestra hits intermittently which are hard to ignore.

(Now someone's gonna tell me these are actually the only two themes that are different. Also, sorry, I care about video game music too much.)

The variation in AA3 if I remember correctly is only used once in the game, in the last case When Phoenix confronts Godot and Godot sees Mia, I think they wanted a bigger punch to the moment since it's the culmination of the three games. I really like the music in these games, so I definitely noticed it as well.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 27, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The judge likes him some balloons. Hell yeah, judge.:wink:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I love every single thing about case 2 and Roger Retinz is a real cool dude

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So AA4/GS4 is now ten years old in Japan. It's weird to think that- it still feels like a new entry in the series to me.

It's certainly remained a controversial entry among fans of the series, though personally I'm in the camp that AA5 and AA6 makes at least Apollo a more interesting character in retrospect. Y'all have any thoughts on the game, now that its about decade old?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Good first case, bad everything else. Apollo was turned into a good character in later games so I don't hold some kind of grudge against him for his debut being terrible.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Kind of a mid-level series entry?

Like in my mental rankings of the series it's somewhere above Justice for All (and honestly also the first Ace Attorney), but below Dual Destinies, Trials and Tribulations and Investigations 2. (Spirit of Justice is still unranked in my mind, need a bit longer to let that game settle in)

The first case is great, the second case is a decent second case except for the magic panties, the third case is awful, fourth case is pretty great, even if the conclusion to it is a bit weak.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked AA4 well enough, but it has the worst final case in the series and that's a pretty big mark against it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I appreciate that as the only main series game developed in its entirety for the DS rather than being a port, Apollo Justice has a really good visual style that no other game in the series has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked AA4 well enough, but it has the worst final case in the series and that's a pretty big mark against it.

This is impossible while Layton vs. Wright exists