Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Now I kind of just want a t-shirt that says "video games" in a small, lowercase sans serif font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Bioware can only write "Ancient Evil" or "Evil uses Ancient Civilization for their schemes" plots sorry

Oh, I'm well aware. I'm just dreaming over here.

There's a reason I haven't bought Mass Effect: Andromeda and probably won't.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was going to say "or like a polo shirt", but I'm pretty sure you can get polo shirts from Penny Arcade that just the little controller logo from Child's Play on them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wildtortilla posted:

Who did downstab first? Link or Scrooge McDuck?

Downward Stab and Cane Pogo are visually similar but functionally different arts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the best mass effect game would be if Sega steals most of the RPG elements and applies them to a Binary Domain sequel

poo poo just put Binary Domain on consoles again since it's weird to run on PCs for some reason

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised no one has said the best Mass Effect game would be KOTOR 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's because KOTOR 3 already came out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kotor is star wars

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Wait, KOTOR is Star Wars?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Who did downstab first? Link or Scrooge McDuck?

I checked the Hyrule Historia and it says Cranky Kong taught Link who taught Scrooge McDuck

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I'm pretty good about not clicking on spoilers, but what I hate is that when I've finished the game, I have to skim back through like 80 pages to catch up on the spoiler discussion in between posts I've already read. I wish it was just standard to make a spoiler thread for games that have heavy plot discussion. Like yeah, both threads end up being lower traffic, but it's more convenient to catch up on the lore-talk when you beat the game.

This is actually why I completely backed out of the NieR thread until I had finished the story. Loved reading the all the discussion pages

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once I learned that Nier Automata is like the original game and has multiple routes (a thing that I assume is not a spoiler to anyone at this point) I became less wary of them, but I still had a friend accidentally spoil something incredibly important and it is a bit of a bummer. Spoilers don't bother me much but knowing it's coming in this case will tint my view a bit. Someday I probably will play the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You spent like a couple thousand hours playing ME3 multiplayer, right? This isn't a callout, I'm just trying to provide some context to your post.

Nah not nearly:

Time played:
492H 13M 10S

Games played:

Leaderboards:

#4,396 (Top 1%)

So yeah I played it a whole lot but didn't get insane like some people did. I never did get that Harrier up to X.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

Nah not nearly:

Time played:
492H 13M 10S

Games played:

Leaderboards:

#4,396 (Top 1%)

So yeah I played it a whole lot but didn't get insane like some people did. I never did get that Harrier up to X.

492 hours is enough time to get a graduate degree

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Makes you think

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

So i could have almost 5 degrees if i traded my dota time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Is this really the place to judge people for playing video games a lot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just think... Instead of getting a graduate degree, you could be playing Mass Effect multiplayer

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Just think... Instead of getting a graduate degree, you could be playing Mass Effect multiplayer

Much more economic and just as useful for getting that job at the library.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm approaching 1200 hours played in Dark Souls and that's just on Steam, I probably have like a couple hundred more on consoles before it came out on PC. I couldn't be happier about it :cool:

edit: I tallied it up and in total I've played 1600 hours of the Dark Souls series. It's probably closer to 2000 if you count Bloodborne. I like the Souls games!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Help Im Alive posted:

Absolutely not, but it's important to know what games people value.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish I knew Doom was 76GB before I bought it on sale on PS4

That's like 5 breath of the wilds. Why are video games so big

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Absolutely not, but it's important to know what games people value.

The Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was really fun so I guess I can see it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

I remember wondering this about Doom being 20mb, downloading it via 14.4 on my 486 :corsair:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Doom specifically is really big because all of the textures are hand-created for each level and therefore have to be loving enormous and uncompressed in order to function.

For another game that gets absolutely gigantic due to uncompressed textures, see Fallout 4, which gets up to like 100 GB if you install the official hi-res texture pack.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

Doom specifically is really big because all of the textures are hand-created for each level and therefore have to be loving enormous and uncompressed in order to function.

For another game that gets absolutely gigantic due to uncompressed textures, see Fallout 4, which gets up to like 100 GB if you install the official hi-res texture pack.

Ironically Doom looks really good and Fallout looks like garbage

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Oh ok, I see. Maybe games should go the opposite direction and offer Nintendo texture packs that bring the filesize down to like 2GB

e: you can fit like 3D World/MK8/Smash/Splatoon/BotW on a 32GB Wii U it is insane

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

If you let Rise of the Tomb Raider run on Very High textures it chews up almost the full 8GB of VRAM on high end GPUs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

If you let Rise of the Tomb Raider run on Very High textures it chews up almost the full 8GB of VRAM on high end GPUs.

Yeah I was pretty shocked at this. Meanwhile the hair effects didn't give me any problems

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Max Payne 3 is one of the earliest examples of filesize bloat due to the devs not giving a gently caress crazy hi-res textures and repeated assets! :eng99:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ironically Doom looks really good and Fallout looks like garbage

imo that's mostly due to art style and setting. Doom has the benefit of taking place on a space station so all the non-hell textures can be sand and polished metal with scratches and stuff, which lets them do more with color grading etc. Rather than say Fallout where changing the color grading at all will affect a million different textures and some of em might look like crap so they don't bother and the whole aesthetic suffers. Wolfenstein TNO is another good example of that. The game has a pastel color filter look to it that the game takes easy advantage of because a lot of the locations are just "holy poo poo look at all this brutalist concrete and steel".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 22, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ID have also always been technical wizards at making games look cutting edge and Fallout 4 is... not, shall we say.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Even Rage looked real good though it was also lovely

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also Bethesda (and by proxy I guess Obsidian) have two living examples of making a relatively good looking game look real ugly by misusing color in the form of Fallout 3 and NV, so believe me when I say color filters can add a lot when they're done right v:shobon:v

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fallout 4 just looks dated and Doom is one of examples of the best looking contemporary games. Witcher 3 somehow manages to look good despite not consisting of metal surfaces.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They keep loving up the faces.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

Not enough hours played imo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I am certainly glad they are enjoying it but man it sounds like they are playing an entirely different game from me.

I have a friend who is in love with it who also loved DA:I a lot. And it's not like she has a serial bad taste in games outside them or is bad at them or something. She just loves Bioware soap operas a ton :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Fallout 4 just looks dated and Doom is one of examples of the best looking contemporary games. Witcher 3 somehow manages to look good despite not consisting of metal surfaces.

The Witcher 3 also has very intense color grading! And sharpening! Color filters being used properly is the wave of the future

edit: Although Velen sometimes gets so yellow in the afternoon in foresty areas that I can't actually see anything so maybe they went a little overboard

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bloodychill posted:

I have a friend who is in love with it who also loved DA:I a lot. And it's not like she has a serial bad taste in games outside them or is bad at them or something. She just loves Bioware soap operas a ton :shrug:

Glad she's enjoying the game. TBH if I could buy the multiplayer with everything unlocked forever for 60 bucks I would probably do it. Best Horde Mode on the market IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doom is also big because the mp was developed by a separate studio so it could be like 2 whole games worth of files in there.

• Locked thread