Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Delacroix posted:

I'm about to close my third VH campaign, is quick battles a complete writeoff? I jumped in for a little bit and it's welves and britonnia cav blob which is not remotely interesting or fun to deal with.

Join the discord and ask for some games. You can also just make your own MP lobby for 1v1s; I had some good games that way this past weekend and only one dude tried to spam me with minotaurs (he lost).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I'm about to close my third VH campaign, is quick battles a complete writeoff? I jumped in for a little bit and it's welves and britonnia cav blob which is not remotely interesting or fun to deal with.

Here's a link to the discord:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

You can usually find someone to fight there, there's a tournament going on so some people might want to practice. I'd recommend starting with browser battles too instead of quick battles because the browser ones aren't ranked so there's less of a reason to cheese.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I often find myself putting a very long, very thin line of melee units all along the walls to man towers, and then having the rest of my dudes stand back and fight in the streets so I can murder enemies in choke points instead of deal with the wall-fighting.

Most of the time I just let the walls do the talking, though. Often they'll use ladders which will make my swordsmen out-melee their exhausted units.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
So i don't lose the list of ancestor bonuses again

https://imgur.com/a/rAfe0

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've been burned one too many times spending a bunch of time teching into units that I ended up hating so I've started testing things out in the custom battles instead.

Holy poo poo is the dwarf flame cannon almost amazing. Its a shame that it is a T5 unit that doesn't do much in the way of armor piercing, because by the time it is available all of the non-black orcs are dead.

It has the perfect firing arc for shooting over your warriors and safely hitting enemies engaged in melee. The arc doesn't even make sense, judging from the angle of the cannon's barrel. Why aren't fire attacks armor piercing? How does plate armor protect you from flame throwers and napalm?

Irondrakes have the same problem, luckily the White Dwarf comes with a free unit so you can use them when they are still relevant.

The flame cannon is a nice addition to a line of quarrellers but it does take too long to tech towards. When you start facing multiple artillery pieces you start to wish gyrocopter production could start sooner. The irondrakes are great for continually toasting whatever the AI puts in front of a wall breach on seige maps. They may not get a four digit killcount like elephants but they can score 250-300 kills against empire and orcs.

BadOptics posted:

Join the discord and ask for some games. You can also just make your own MP lobby for 1v1s; I had some good games that way this past weekend and only one dude tried to spam me with minotaurs (he lost).

Trujillo posted:

Here's a link to the discord:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

You can usually find someone to fight there, there's a tournament going on so some people might want to practice. I'd recommend starting with browser battles too instead of quick battles because the browser ones aren't ranked so there's less of a reason to cheese.

Oh, bad interfactional balance and ranked exists? What an amazing combination. :allears: I will try browser battles over the hellhole of quick battle.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

I said net income.

OK, let it be established that I can't actually read...

I still don't remember going much above 3k net income until late game. But I suppose I suck and anyway missions and loot also add to the total.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Checking my stats I averaged about +5000/turn over my last Empire and Brettonia campaigns. Mind you I don't play on super hard difficulties.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The key to fat loot as empire is taking Brettonia. The east is spread out, hard to defend and sparse. Take Marienberg then couronne, then sweep south. You only need 2 armies to do this and empire early units beat the pants off Brettonia early units.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

But its mean to pick on my friends....

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

But its mean to pick on my friends....

They are not your friends. They are French.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

in my headcanon deathclaw and beaquis are buddies

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How hard would it be to create a mod that started the game off around mid-game? capitals level 4 and minors at 2 or 3 with some production buildings setup or larger starting cash for everyone to pump out a wider roster at the start of the game.

I feel like I'm at the point where I can regularly steamroll the map and I'd actually like to see something besides dwarf warriors/swordsmen/orc boys for the first 50 turns since the victory screen usually isn't far off.

And it might help the AI if it isn't forced to make 19 pistoliers or mortars because it's the only recruitment building the AI could afford and had the space to build.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 22, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gejnor made a mod that gave major factions L4 settlements.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How hard would it be to create a mod that started the game off around mid-game? capitals level 4 and minors at 2 or 3 with some production buildings setup or larger starting cash for everyone to pump out a wider roster at the start of the game.

I feel like I'm at the point where I can regularly steamroll the map and I'd actually like to see something besides dwarf warriors/swordsmen/orc boys for the first 50 turns since the victory screen usually isn't far off.

And it might help the AI if it isn't forced to make 19 pistoliers or mortars because it's the only recruitment building the AI could afford and had the space to build.
There's a recruitment mod on the workshop that should help with that last part.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Broguts posted:

Woah woah what? Since when is Konrad Von Carstein in?

I'm sure you could recruit another combat vampire by taking Altdorf as VC. Maybe I've gone nuts and I'm talking poo poo because I can't see it anywhere, but I swear to god I've seen a third LL for taking Altdorf and I'm sure it was Konrad. Unless it was Vlad after the dlc?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

JBP posted:

I'm sure you could recruit another combat vampire by taking Altdorf as VC. Maybe I've gone nuts and I'm talking poo poo because I can't see it anywhere, but I swear to god I've seen a third LL for taking Altdorf and I'm sure it was Konrad. Unless it was Vlad after the dlc?

That was Vlad before the recent update that added a separate playable Von Carstein faction and made Vlad its faction leader.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

John Charity Spring posted:

That was Vlad before the recent update that added a separate playable Von Carstein faction and made Vlad its faction leader.

OK I knew I wasn't loving crazy, just confused.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

John Charity Spring posted:

You mean the faction leader's husband, cause drat honey those are some nice bonuses.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kitchner posted:

In terms of empire wizards is there a consensus on the best?

I know hero sniping is still a thing, but I have no idea is the life, beast, or shadows wizards are any good.

Pretty much all the lores have their perks now.

Life goes great with elite units for the heals.

Shadow has amazing damage spells and some solid buffs/debuffs.

Beast could really use a buff to Manticores IMO, but the Beast Wizard gets a rad griffon to ride, increases your total magic reserves and Flock of Doom is still one of the most efficient damage spells in the game.

Light is all about the net.

Heaven gives you one really good aoe debuff and a good selection of damage spells.

Metal has actually pretty good damage spells now paired with good debuffs.

Fire is kinda not great but Flaming Sword of Ruin is a really good buff, especially against VC and Wood Elves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Trip report on that turn one unlimited heroes mod:

Grombrindal and the boys are loving rich and they're all about level ten. They have no means of recruiting dwarf units outside of regiments of renown (and those are back home securing Karaz a Karak from lone wolf idiots). They have been adventuring through the badlands for some time slaying 50 orcs a piece in battle and stealing things. Grimgor and a band of 1000 orcs tried to escape through the underway but they were confronted by ten dudes supported by a couple of cannons (they're like short conquistadores in my mind). Grimgor is dead now and I have all his money. It's really annoying when the enemy has a load of wolf riders and archers, but all my guys are basically impervious to ranged fire now and wade through it shields aloft. This is a good RPG.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fangz posted:

in my headcanon deathclaw and beaquis are buddies

Silvarion looks on jealously

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just had my first battle where I saw the power of a slightly upgraded Vlad. I cannot imagine how much of a beast he becomes. About 1200 vs 3300, from a counter attack on my force while I was doing a small potato siege, just to sack. The auto-resolve bar was completely red against my favor. I figure that, you know what, gently caress it, I'll make a pile of corpses and whatever happens I might get a new epic battle marker. With only skeleton warriors, spearmen and 3 black knights, Vlad and a Shadow Vampire, the three stacks just... could... not... KILL Vlad. And he did not even have his terror upgrade yet. Ended up winning with two black knights surviving and the two heroes, promptly raised everything I could and was back in full form in two turns to keep raiding.

Vampires rock.

Can't wait to see what a real army setup gets me.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 23, 2017

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think you could do this in Medieval I (iirc it was start in different years with corresponding levels of tech development) but it I've never seen it in the series again :( Pity since it would be a nice way to spice up the game

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

A dedicated end times campaign could do something like that. Just start either balls deep in a losing war against Chaos and your job is to survive as long as possible with fully developed provinces, or like 20 turns before a true Chaos assault begins. The default chaos event is some weak rear end poo poo

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ammanas posted:

A dedicated end times campaign could do something like that. Just start either balls deep in a losing war against Chaos and your job is to survive as long as possible with fully developed provinces, or like 20 turns before a true Chaos assault begins. The default chaos event is some weak rear end poo poo

Makes me wonder how much of that is going to be reworked with game 2. Do we know how it's going to work btw? Standalone expansion à la Fall of the Samurai or what?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nope only speculation. Expanded map, separate maps with a toggle button, separate campaigns. We'll see

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

madmac posted:

Pretty much all the lores have their perks now.

Life goes great with elite units for the heals.

Shadow has amazing damage spells and some solid buffs/debuffs.

Beast could really use a buff to Manticores IMO, but the Beast Wizard gets a rad griffon to ride, increases your total magic reserves and Flock of Doom is still one of the most efficient damage spells in the game.

Light is all about the net.

Heaven gives you one really good aoe debuff and a good selection of damage spells.

Metal has actually pretty good damage spells now paired with good debuffs.

Fire is kinda not great but Flaming Sword of Ruin is a really good buff, especially against VC and Wood Elves.

Metal and Fire both excel at burning up lovely/cheap units with Gehenna's Golden Hounds and Burning Skull, respectively. Moreso than other spell casters (I'm talking 500+ kills if used proper). They both also have relatively serviceable buffs, but yeah Life and Shadow are the best, with Beast/Light close behind.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

StarMinstrel posted:

With only skeleton warriors, spearmen and 3 black knights, Vlad and a Shadow Vampire, the three stacks just... could... not... KILL Vlad.

Vampires rock.

Can't wait to see what a real army setup gets me.

Vlad is every mad bastard son you couldn't get killed from Medieval II back to take the throne.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Vlad is every mad bastard son you couldn't get killed from Medieval II back to take the throne.

Only he's the father (or is it "father") of mad bastard sons rather than being one himself. But yes, he certainly is that in spirit.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Taking out the main Wood Elf faction is a decent alternative to complete genocide, right? No danger of confederation, and the various sub-factions are dickish enough to each other that they probably won't start an alliance chain?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
make sure you burn down that loving oak

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

always, my dude

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
:D it's like getting to play as Hexxus in Ferngully!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Wood elves are why dawi built flame weapons.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

There is a countdown with what looks like Lustria in the background.

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com/

holy gently caress boys

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

There is a countdown with what looks like Lustria in the background.

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com/

holy gently caress boys

My heart.

[Edit] That's definitely a Lizaztec pyramid in the background.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 23, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm too excited about this. I guess they're announcing it next Friday around 4pm GMT then.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's no reference to Games Workshop in the bottom trademark stuff, though. Maybe it could refer to the historical game?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

There's no reference to Games Workshop in the bottom trademark stuff, though. Maybe it could refer to the historical game?

They already said they were going to reveal what's next for Total War Warhammer on the 31st (which is what this is counting down to) and Grace, the community relations person, is acting like it's about Warhammer on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

At the bottom of the screen: © SEGA. CREATIVE ASSEMBLY, THE CREATIVE ASSEMBLY LOGO, TOTAL WAR AND THE TOTAL WAR LOGO ARE EITHER REGISTERED TRADE MARKS OR TRADE MARKS OF THE CREATIVE ASSEMBLY LIMITED. SEGA AND THE SEGA LOGO ARE EITHER REGISTERED TRADE MARKS OR TRADE MARKS OF SEGA CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ALL OTHER TRADE MARKS ARE THE PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.

ALSO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZh4WcdC3s

• Locked thread