Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

mojo1701a posted:

I still maintain that he wasn't bad. In a vacuum, he would've been just fine, but knowing who he replaced brings him down.

Makes sense. It was worse for me because I didn't like Jon Lovitz to begin with. But I really softened on him when I learned that he beat up Andy Dick. gently caress Andy Dick, I fully believe that Jon was right when he said Andy was to blame for Phil's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

pnumoman posted:

Makes sense. It was worse for me because I didn't like Jon Lovitz to begin with. But I really softened on him when I learned that he beat up Andy Dick. gently caress Andy Dick, I fully believe that Jon was right when he said Andy was to blame for Phil's death.

I forgot about that story. Thanks for reminding me about the time Jon Lovitz showed his true, wonderful colors. :gbsmith:

gently caress Andy Dick.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InbaU387Wl8

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Mick is good

watch it

Kaitlyn fuckin owns

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I just read about the original dee thing.

lovely situation but if I were involved in a project with a person who I was going through a nasty break-up with and no longer loved or even liked, while at the same time facing pressure to replace her for a chance at millions of dollars and a successful tv show, i'd probably do what Rob did. Maybe(probably) I'm weak.

Also, Season 12 was okay enough, nowhere near the glory years(s2-s8) imo. While still a strong show worthy of watching, it is starting to get creatively stale and probably best for them to put it to bed for a year or two to work on other things. That way they they can come back refreshed with new ideas for the last era of the series.

Personally I wouldn't mind a 2-3 year break then coming back for one last season and a movie to finish things off.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 19, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pnumoman posted:

Wait, what? I thought Phil's wife went crazy or something and killed him in his sleep.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Phenotype posted:

Wait, what? I thought Phil's wife went crazy or something and killed him in his sleep.

The story is that Brynn Hartman was a recovering addict/alcoholic, then Andy Dick got her back into it not long before she went on to murder-suicide Phil, and was found to have cocaine in her system

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 19, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

LadyPictureShow posted:

The story is that Bree(?) Hartman was off cocaine, then Andy Dick got her back into it not long before she went on to murder-suicide Phil.

Yeah, Andy Dick brought cocaine to a Christmas party that they were hosting, and then Brynn went downhill from there.

It would've ended there had Dick not run into Lovitz at a restaurant years ago, taunting him by putting "the Phil Hartman hex on you, you're the next to die." Lovitz then lost it and just started beating him up. I actually remember someone making a recursive Flash animated gif of Jay Sherman smashing Dick's face into a bar surface.

Fake edit: I can't believe I found it:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mojo1701a posted:

Andy Dick is dressed like his character from Clone High, that's adorable.

https://vimeo.com/13169503

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

mojo1701a posted:

Well, I feel so old now; I was posting in the thread about that incident when it happened, and I remember when that was created. It's still beautiful.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

The story is that Brynn Hartman was a recovering addict/alcoholic, then Andy Dick got her back into it not long before she went on to murder-suicide Phil, and was found to have cocaine in her system

I heard this story years ago and to see it being thrown around as fact to this day is hilarious. Addiction doesn't work like that. Addicts are always addicts. You're always in recovery. No one can force you to relapse. She was 10 years sober and lost it. It's akin to blaming a drug dealer for someone's overdose. Andy Dick is an rear end in a top hat for sure, but he didn't kill Phil Hartman, nor did he have a hand in his death.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bunky posted:

I heard this story years ago and to see it being thrown around as fact to this day is hilarious. Addiction doesn't work like that. Addicts are always addicts. You're always in recovery. No one can force you to relapse. She was 10 years sober and lost it. It's akin to blaming a drug dealer for someone's overdose. Andy Dick is an rear end in a top hat for sure, but he didn't kill Phil Hartman, nor did he have a hand in his death.

On it's own, sure, but the context of the fight was always the fact he brought it up to Lovitz. It's one thing to say "Well objectively it's not like he held her down and forced her to do cocaine", it's another to say that when he's joking that he got the guy killed to a close friend of the person. That's when you catch a beating and everyone cheers.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

bunky posted:

Force? No. Make it extremely easy to? Yes. Doesn't mean he's off the hook.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mulva posted:

On it's own, sure, but the context of the fight was always the fact he brought it up to Lovitz. It's one thing to say "Well objectively it's not like he held her down and forced her to do cocaine", it's another to say that when he's joking that he got the guy killed to a close friend of the person. That's when you catch a beating and everyone cheers.

Doesn't really sound like Dick was intending to be 'joking' but yeah, according to Lovitz himself he doesn't blame Dick for the murder anymore and instead it was just because AD was living up to his name:

quote:

Lovitz had joined the show, of which Dick was a co-star, after his friend Hartman was shot and killed by Hartman's wife, Brynn.

"[Andy] was just complaining and really giving me a hard time for no reason. Phil told me that they had a Christmas party and Andy was doing cocaine and he gave it to Phil's wife Brynn, who had been sober for 10 years. So Andy said to me, 'Well, you shouldn't be here,' and I said, 'Well, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place.'"

Eventually, the two worked out their differences, or so Lovitz thought.

"Later on we made up, and I said 'I'm sorry I said that,'" Lovitz said. "I realized it really wasn't his fault. Everything was fine for years."

But everything changed when Dick visited a restaurant of which Lovitz is part-owner. Lovitz said he was sitting at a table with a friend, and a group at the table next to them treated them to some peach liqueurs. Apparently, Dick and a friend came over to their table, and downed both liqueurs.

"He's standing there with liqueur dripping down his chin and he says, 'I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you're the next one to die,'" said Lovitz. "And he's smiling, and my blood just went to my head. I wanted to smash him, but if I hit him he would have gone flying into the table behind him. He was really drunk."

Lovitz told Dick's friend to take his buddy out of the restaurant and vowed never to let him back in again. He didn't see Dick again until Wednesday night, when Lovitz was performing his weekly show at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles.

"So I do my show and there's all these people there and then I'm done and the MC's up on stage and I see Andy's up on stage and I'm like 'Oh my God, what's he going to do?'" he said.

Lovitz met up with Dick in the packed lobby after the show. Lovitz wanted an apology from Dick for his "Hartman's hex" comment. But, apparently, Dick hadn't really buried the hatchet over their initial argument during their stint on "Newsradio."

"I just wanted him to say, 'Oh, I'm sorry,'" said Lovitz. "Then he leans into me, 'Well you know why I said that? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman that's the first thing you said to me when you got on the show.' I just lost it so I grabbed him by the shirt and I pushed him against the wall. And he's just smiling at me, and then I realized 'oooh, here's my chance.' So I grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him really hard and I smashed his back and his head into the bar. And I did it again. I would have kept going, but the doorman broke it up."

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I've been listening to the podcast him and Dino Stamatopoulos do and it's really interesting. It's sorta bad, but quite unique. I think Andy has the problem that he doesn't put a lot of effort into thinking about how his words and actions affect others, at least not in the short term. I don't think he should be let of the hook for lovely behaviour or anything, but I don't want to demonize him either. He's a hard guy to pin down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Andy Dick has a tendency to do things that piss people off and then complain later about the consequences he faces.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I've been listening to the podcast him and Dino Stamatopoulos do and it's really interesting. It's sorta bad, but quite unique. I think Andy has the problem that he doesn't put a lot of effort into thinking about how his words and actions affect others, at least not in the short term. I don't think he should be let of the hook for lovely behaviour or anything, but I don't want to demonize him either. He's a hard guy to pin down.

That sounds pretty easy to pin down, though? The type of person you are describing is an rear end in a top hat.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

Force? No. Make it extremely easy to? Yes. Doesn't mean he's off the hook.

Off the hook for what? Unless he threw a snowball of cocaine in her face she made a decision that night. People want a villain in the death of Phil Hartman and you don't need to search for it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

bunky posted:

Off the hook for what? Unless he threw a snowball of cocaine in her face she made a decision that night. People want a villain in the death of Phil Hartman and you don't need to search for it.

A person who encourages someone else to commit suicide can be charged with involuntary manslaughter. Not to say it's quite the same, but it's fair to say Andy Dick has some responsibility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bunky posted:

If someone is an alcoholic and you give them alcohol and they drink it and fall off the wagon, you don't get to pretend that none of it is your fault. Putting a vulnerable person in a dangerous situation is bad.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Agronox posted:

That sounds pretty easy to pin down, though? The type of person you are describing is an rear end in a top hat.

I was making a sneaky little reference to a thing on the podcast there, I think he is an arsehole to people for sure.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If someone is an alcoholic and you give them alcohol and they drink it and fall off the wagon, you don't get to pretend that none of it is your fault. Putting a vulnerable person in a dangerous situation is bad.

If someone is an alcoholic and have been sober for 10 years, they know how to avoid triggers and situations that might cause them to relapse. I'm sure a Hollywood party is not a good place for someone like that to be and she navigated that poo poo for a decade. "Giving" someone alcohol or drugs in an environment like that is a joke. It's everywhere. She relapsed, combined alcohol and drugs while on psych meds and killed Phil Hartman.

Andy Dick is an rear end in a top hat, again, but he's not culpable. The fact that no one is as mad at Brynn for murder as they are at Andy for being a twat is mindblowing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bunky posted:

If someone is an alcoholic and have been sober for 10 years, they know how to avoid triggers and situations that might cause them to relapse. I'm sure a Hollywood party is not a good place for someone like that to be and she navigated that poo poo for a decade. "Giving" someone alcohol or drugs in an environment like that is a joke. It's everywhere. She relapsed, combined alcohol and drugs while on psych meds and killed Phil Hartman.

Andy Dick is an rear end in a top hat, again, but he's not culpable. The fact that no one is as mad at Brynn for murder as they are at Andy for being a twat is mindblowing.

I was mad at her 20 years ago when I found out one of my favorite comedic actors was killed by his crazy wife. Now I'll be mad at Andy Dick for possibly being the catalyst.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Telling someone that they're an addict if they haven't used drugs for 10 years is dumb. Are you fat if you lost loads of weight 10 years ago?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You can easily tell when someone has never interacted with a true addict before. Give my dad one drink and even though he's been sober for 15 years he'd spiral right back to the bottom within weeks/months. It has happened before after his friends egged him on into "just having a drink or two once a week" with them. Some people just can't do things in moderation and are better off just avoiding it altogether.

What does this have to do with always sunny though?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Telling someone that they're an addict if they haven't used drugs for 10 years is dumb. Are you fat if you lost loads of weight 10 years ago?

You're always in recovery after getting sober. Your doofy fat analogy doesn't work.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Intervention! Intervention!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bunky posted:

You're always in recovery after getting sober. Your doofy fat analogy doesn't work.

Well there's an accumulating body of evidence that suggests that it actually does apply, just in the exact opposite way hottubrhymemachine meant.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Well there's an accumulating body of evidence that suggests that it actually does apply, just in the exact opposite way hottubrhymemachine meant.

That's another name like Stamatopoulos that I always have to copy paste from somewhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You can easily tell when someone has never interacted with a true addict before. Give my dad one drink and even though he's been sober for 15 years he'd spiral right back to the bottom within weeks/months. It has happened before after his friends egged him on into "just having a drink or two once a week" with them. Some people just can't do things in moderation and are better off just avoiding it altogether.

There is apparently someone who like Andy Dick and must defend his honor.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Agronox posted:

Intervention! Intervention!

A roast? I've always wanted to be roasted!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is apparently someone who like Andy Dick and must defend his honor.

JON LOVITZ, GET MY BACK! PLEASE! I NEED YOU!!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think because convo got to the point of discussing how different filming styles can change the format of a sit com. Phil Hartman came up when that last show he was on came up (News Radio or whatever).

Someone else brought up, too, that Titus's brother was Crickets brother this season. I noticed it too and it added some extra enjoyment to the episode.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The Sean posted:

I think because convo got to the point of discussing how different filming styles can change the format of a sit com. Phil Hartman came up when that last show he was on came up (News Radio or whatever).

Someone else brought up, too, that Titus's brother was Crickets brother this season. I noticed it too and it added some extra enjoyment to the episode.

I was the one that brought up both Titus' brother and Jon Lovitz being decent.

But rather than admit guilt, I am invoking my right to the Cereal Defence!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Someone go download me a hoagie off the internet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm sorry? Those words don't make any sense.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

emanresu tnuocca posted:

BUG!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe after 3D printers get popular we can start buying flavor packets from the store and print up plastic that tastes like real food. Eating flavored plastic would probably be better than most of our diets anyway.

Edit - Lets see how off topic we can get this thread by the time they air Season 13.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 23, 2017

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've known about the "original Sweet Dee" thing for a while but I literally just learned that they filmed multiple versions of the bird scene:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cockblocktopus posted:

I've known about the "original Sweet Dee" thing for a while but I literally just learned that they filmed multiple versions of the bird scene:

Why are you just posting a picture of Kaitlin Olson?