Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

They said "secular Buddhist", which is not a thing. Buddhism is a religion, secular means "not religious". You can't be a non-religious follower of a religion.

Counterpoint: Secular Judaism is a major thing at least in the US, i.e. not religious but into Jewish traditions and holidays for the culture of it.

tuyop posted:

Half the circumference. I'm going to try making yet another coil tomorrow and just stripping half the insulation with a knife.

Are you only stripping half for some length near the tip, or are you stripping half on tht whole wire? If the latter, I don't think it'll work, wire insulation isn't like glued on or anything.

Good luck! I'm curious about wtf it is you're trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

alnilam posted:

Are you only stripping half for some length near the tip, or are you stripping half on tht whole wire? If the latter, I don't think it'll work, wire insulation isn't like glued on or anything.

Good luck! I'm curious about wtf it is you're trying to do.

It's for a simple style of DIY electric motor. The one in the link is a pretty beefy example, they work with as little as 1 loop. I've made a couple over the years, pretty neat demonstration.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

alnilam posted:

Counterpoint: Secular Judaism is a major thing at least in the US, i.e. not religious but into Jewish traditions and holidays for the culture of it.

My father-in-law belongs to a secular Jewish group, which meets in the basement of a Unitarian church (of course it does). My husband got dragged to one of their Seders once, and they were using a special Haggadah that replaced "as Torah tells us" with "as tradition has it" and other silliness like that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

It's for a simple style of DIY electric motor. The one in the link is a pretty beefy example, they work with as little as 1 loop. I've made a couple over the years, pretty neat demonstration.

Yeah, this is it. I only have plastic insulated wire when magnet wire would make a lot more sense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

alnilam posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a corner case and a very Jewish thing, something something nexus of culture and history and something something. Would you call people that celebrate Christmas but don't go to church secular Christians? My feeling is not, but I don't know enough to say why for sure. You also hear people say "culturally Jewish" (the notion that Jewishness is a group of people as much as it's a religion), but I've never heard that used for anything else.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A question for the English vs American english experts reading:

We're often told in discussions of english vs american languages that its supposed to be said "Maths" not "Math, because its Mathematics, the study of multiple independent mathematical categories/schools. So why do britons refer to "Sports" as "Sport", as if there is only one sport?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TurboDrizzle posted:

A question for the English vs American english experts reading:

We're often told in discussions of english vs american languages that its supposed to be said "Maths" not "Math, because its Mathematics, the study of multiple independent mathematical categories/schools. So why do britons refer to "Sports" as "Sport", as if there is only one sport?

Both abbreviations for both subjects were acceptable and recorded for a long time, before people got around to standardization of the language. The choices on either side of the Atlantic for this appear to have been random, and justifications like "because there are multiple mathematics" appear to have cropped up after the fact.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

One actual difference between both examples is that mathematics is a plurale tantum while sport is not.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

They said "secular Buddhist", which is not a thing. Buddhism is a religion, secular means "not religious". You can't be a non-religious follower of a religion.

It's definitely a thing. There are a lot of contexts where these identities are more than strictly whether one follows a religion or not.

quote:

If someone asks what your religion is, and you don't actively practice any religion, just say "none". If they ask about your cultural background then say "I was raised <whatever> but I'm not any more." It's not complicated.

It is more complicated than you seem to think. Religion and cultural background are not completely separate things and often times when someone is asking about religion they are asking about cultural background. Personally I'm a secular Jew. My partner is a secular Buddhist. In both cases our backgrounds have had a huge impact on our values and who we are, even though neither of us is actively practicing these religions. So if someone asks I usually say I'm a "non-religious Jew". Most people find that pretty understandable, as it's fairly common.

dupersaurus posted:

Would you call people that celebrate Christmas but don't go to church secular Christians?

I haven't heard it for Christians in general but the term and concept of a "non-practicing Catholic" is very common in the US, and it's more or less the same thing as what I'm talking about above. Someone who grew up under Catholic traditions and may still be part of a Catholic community because of national or ethnic family background etc, but not actively religious. I also have known a few Mormons who called themselves "non-practicing" in exactly the same way but I don't know if that's as widespread. Again though these identities go beyond strict belief or non-belief.

also "following a religion" is itself a pretty wide spectrum of behaviors and mindsets not a simple on/off that can be easily categorized

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 21, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Is there a "Recommend Me A Game" thread where I can go and post what kinda game I'm looking for?

Yep, in Games. Recommend me a game, again

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Would you call people that celebrate Christmas but don't go to church secular Christians? My feeling is not, but I don't know enough to say why for sure.

My guess is you wouldn't say that because Christianity​ is the cultural hegemon in the USA, i.e. people's default assumption, so to most people "i celebrate Christmas but don't go to church" would be functionally equivalent to "I'm not religious and don't really believe" - if you said the latter they probably assume you celebrate Christmas, fairly or not. Whereas "celebrate Hanukkah and passover with my family but don't go to temple or even believe" would probably have to be specified as culturally Jewish.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Cultural Catholics" are absolutely a thing, as well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Cultural Catholics" are absolutely a thing, as well.

Yeah, people who go to fish fries during Lent because their grandma did and feel entitled to make Catholicism jokes but haven't been to church since their baptism.

Anyway I do enjoy this discussion, but I still think the original question was about "how do i say I'm an atheist without making someone think I'm an rear end in a top hat internet edgelord" and to that my response is still to just say "I'm not religious," imo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just say you're an atheist. It's not like people stop calling themselves Christians because the Westboro Baptist Church exists. (Or maybe they do, but if so that's even worse.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah but Christians is an enormous group that most people are already familiar and comfortable with. On the other hand, some people may have never met an atheist (that they knew of) other than that one edgelord guy in high school who always made a big deal about it. And sometimes you don't want to get in a debate or have to defend yourself you just want to answer the drat question about what religion you are and move on, so you give the vague non confrontational answer.

I'm not saying it's right for people to get confrontational or assume certain things about you if you say you're an atheist, but sometimes they do and sometimes you just want to avoid that quickly and easily.

To use my other example again: Before I learned to say "I don't eat meat" instead of "I'm a vegetarian," I was getting dragged into half hour long debates all the loving time when all I wanted to say was "no thanks I don't want to go to the BBQ place with you but if you want to go grab lunch somewhere else more veg-friendly I'd go"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

alnilam posted:

Before I learned to say "I don't eat meat" instead of "I'm a vegetarian," I was getting dragged into half hour long debates all the loving time

This could also be an issue with the people you are talking to, rather than with the term itself.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Earwicker posted:

This could also be an issue with the people you are talking to, rather than with the term itself.

It absolutely is and that's my point. There's nothing wrong with the word and my friends don't make a thing of it either, but friendly acquaintances, people at work, random strangers? I don't know if they have dumb confrontational opinions about vegetarianism, and much of the time I don't care. I happen to have found a practical shortcut to avoid them getting defensive and spending half an hour reciting the same "what's wrong with eating meat" poo poo I've heard a hundred times when all i want to do is turn down a lunch invite.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I have a 2010 macbook running Sierra with a dying hard drive, a windows pc, flash drives, and network connections. What's the easiest and cheapest way to take a complete image of the mac and reinstall it on a working HD?

e: Oh apparently its super easy from built in tools, that's nice.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 21, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Are people who get motion sickness less likely to be alcoholics?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

alnilam posted:

Yeah but Christians is an enormous group that most people are already familiar and comfortable with. On the other hand, some people may have never met an atheist (that they knew of) other than that one edgelord guy in high school who always made a big deal about it. And sometimes you don't want to get in a debate or have to defend yourself you just want to answer the drat question about what religion you are and move on, so you give the vague non confrontational answer.

I'm not saying it's right for people to get confrontational or assume certain things about you if you say you're an atheist, but sometimes they do and sometimes you just want to avoid that quickly and easily.

To use my other example again: Before I learned to say "I don't eat meat" instead of "I'm a vegetarian," I was getting dragged into half hour long debates all the loving time when all I wanted to say was "no thanks I don't want to go to the BBQ place with you but if you want to go grab lunch somewhere else more veg-friendly I'd go"

Where you live sounds extremely depressing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Say you want to bring some empty bottles and cans to a recycling center? Can you do it without violating open container laws? Is there some sort of specific rule about putting them in the trunk or something, or are you putting yourself at risk by doing it in the first place?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Post the text of your state open container law.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the original documentary Lemme Smash uses? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TcLxlkc2pA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the original documentary Lemme Smash uses? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TcLxlkc2pA

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9TyXiXM2k

Turns out Ron is hitting on an underage boy whose nest he later destroys for no reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blackchamber posted:

Are people who get motion sickness less likely to be alcoholics?
That is an odd question. What prompted it?

veni veni veni posted:

Say you want to bring some empty bottles and cans to a recycling center? Can you do it without violating open container laws? Is there some sort of specific rule about putting them in the trunk or something, or are you putting yourself at risk by doing it in the first place?
Aren't open container laws about not drinking in public? I don't think anyone cares if you have a bunch of empty bottles/cans you're taking to recycle.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

Aren't open container laws about not drinking in public? I don't think anyone cares if you have a bunch of empty bottles/cans you're taking to recycle.

This was my thought too. I mean, yes, if you want to be technical, you would have to open the container to empty it. If you really think it's going to be a problem, do what public drinkers do and put your bottles into a bag (or box or crate or sack or other opaque container) and throw that in the back of your car.

The only way this is possibly an issue is if you insist on emptying the bottles on the way to the recycling center, in which case, yeah, you could be in for a citation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought open container laws included not allowing open containers in cars at all. Like, I'm sure there are exceptions so I am just wondering what they would be.

Edit: 2 seconds of google could have answered my question I guess.

quote:

Colorado Drivers (and Passengers) Should Keep Open Containers in the Trunk. Denver is one of the nation's top beer cities and is renowned for it's many breweries, pubs, and unique varieties. ... The laws regulating the transport of alcohol in vehicles are known as “open container” laws.

I still wonder how much this varies state by state. I'm sure you can't just pile empty beer cans in the passenger seat.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

veni veni veni posted:

I still wonder how much this varies state by state. I'm sure you can't just pile empty beer cans in the passenger seat.

Sure you can, but you have to do it in a fashion (like in a trash bag, older cans, etc.) that convinces a police offer that you were cleaning up empties rather than X number of beers into your bender.

...a can that contains no alcoholic beverage is not an "open container" whether open or closed.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Do we have a "translations" thread? I'm looking for how to say "I visited the Lisboa Oceanarium on November 8, 2016." Google translate says "Visitei o Oceanarium de Lisboa em 8 de novembro de 2016," which I'm sure is close, but I wouldn't mind getting confirmation from someone who speaks it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

jackpot posted:

Do we have a "translations" thread? I'm looking for how to say "I visited the Lisboa Oceanarium on November 8, 2016." Google translate says "Visitei o Oceanarium de Lisboa em 8 de novembro de 2016," which I'm sure is close, but I wouldn't mind getting confirmation from someone who speaks it.

Science, Academics and Languages › Spanish Learning/Discoursing Thread

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That's not likely to help correct Portuguese, though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hwoops

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Tiggum posted:

That is an odd question. What prompted it?

Drinking can give you a feeling of dizziness aka the spins, which would be undesirable for someone who gets motion sickness.
Since drinking can cause a feeling of disconnect from what your eyes see and what your body feels, another trigger of motion sickness, it seems logical to me that someone who gets motion sickness wouldn't enjoy drinking as much when you are more likely to encounter the negative effects (feeling sick) possibly before even getting completely drunk moreso than someone who doesn't get motion sickness. If true then wouldn't sufferers of motion sickness less likely be alcoholics?

I guess I was just curious if any actual studies had been done on the subject but whenever I google it I just get hammered with homemade motion sickness remedies.

edit: I got invited to take a cruise, a booze cruise, and I already know I get sea sick and have motion sickness and I really didn't like the prospect of adding being drunk to that, especially since I don't think you are supposed to drink while taking dramamine. It got me to thinking...

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 22, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

jackpot posted:

There's a Portuguese thread somewhere in the depths of the science forum. That sentence is correct except that the word is Oceanário.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did a science demonstration yesterday that didn't work, possibly in a very bad way.

I added 5g magnesium ribbon (just magnesium, impurities are zinc, copper, iron, aluminum, all at <0.02%) to 20ml hydrochloric acid quickprep (37%, 12.1M) and quickly attached a balloon to the top of an apparently clean Erlenmeyer flask (no odour in the flask, no residue). The mixture bubbled and produced a visible white gas, which was odd but I popped the balloon with a lit boiler stick and there was no flame or explosion, just a popped balloon.

There was a very strong sulphuric odour, like rotten eggs, that burned my throat and irritated my eyes a little bit. I opened a window without taking another breath and left the room for a little while. When I came back, the room still stank of sulphur but it wasn't irritating and I moved the flask to a sink and left the water running for awhile to clear out the mixture.

This is in a junior high science lab. I think I made H2S but there's nothing here containing sulphur and hasn't been for at least a year. The HCl bottle is in good condition and doesn't seem to have been relabeled. The magnesium ribbon was opened by me. What happened here? I'm now loving terrified of doing any more chemistry demos here until I personally clean all of the glassware and get new chemicals of known provenance since I feel I can't trust the containers anymore.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Ras Het posted:

There's a Portuguese thread somewhere in the depths of the science forum. That sentence is correct except that the word is Oceanário.
Great, I'll look around over there. It's for a poster in my kid's room, so it's not exactly vital, but I'd like it to be right. And thanks, you're totally right on Oceanário - I had it right in my design but wrong in the notes I'd copied it from.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The current Portuguese thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812329

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

tuyop posted:

I did a science demonstration yesterday that didn't work, possibly in a very bad way.

I added 5g magnesium ribbon (just magnesium, impurities are zinc, copper, iron, aluminum, all at <0.02%) to 20ml hydrochloric acid quickprep (37%, 12.1M) and quickly attached a balloon to the top of an apparently clean Erlenmeyer flask (no odour in the flask, no residue). The mixture bubbled and produced a visible white gas, which was odd but I popped the balloon with a lit boiler stick and there was no flame or explosion, just a popped balloon.

There was a very strong sulphuric odour, like rotten eggs, that burned my throat and irritated my eyes a little bit. I opened a window without taking another breath and left the room for a little while. When I came back, the room still stank of sulphur but it wasn't irritating and I moved the flask to a sink and left the water running for awhile to clear out the mixture.

This is in a junior high science lab. I think I made H2S but there's nothing here containing sulphur and hasn't been for at least a year. The HCl bottle is in good condition and doesn't seem to have been relabeled. The magnesium ribbon was opened by me. What happened here? I'm now loving terrified of doing any more chemistry demos here until I personally clean all of the glassware and get new chemicals of known provenance since I feel I can't trust the containers anymore.
Try asking in the chemistry thread.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are some high-end furniture stores, similar to Design Within Reach?

I'm looking for like Herman-Miller levels of furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thanks, did that.