Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Holy poo poo, I almost forgot how tedious those funny115 articles are until I read that one.

I started reading it and felt like I must be almost finished when I hit, "Day Two." I get where they are going with it. All done with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It'll be interesting to see how the TCs go next episode. Since only one tribe can escape elimination and all three tribes have a one-member minority, it seems like it'd be easy eliminations for two of Hali/Troyzan/J.T. But Troyzan has an idol, J.T. might swing things against Sandra, and Hali's so non-threatening there isn't much of a reason to get rid of her - even if you want to keep the tribe strong, Hali is at least a decent swimmer and seems to have some puzzle ability, so you could just axe Tai instead - he's an active detriment to almost any alliance he's in.

Honestly if I had to guess, the vote-outs might be Tai/Andrea/J.T., because I'm not sure J.T. can effectively swing things enough, and if Troyzan had to idol out somebody, if he's smart he'll take out not one of the big threats, so he can keep a shield if he has to. So it'd be between Sarah/Andrea/Zeke. I think Sierra might be able to take charge of her tribe - the guys are in the minority, Sierra wants to do all-girls, and it'd be good on her resume to make a flip.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 18, 2017

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
the troyzan idol thing got me thinking. has there actually ever been a time where someone was swapped into a minority but found an idol and got someone else voted out with a vote of 1? i can't seem to think of any occurrences of this.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Adus posted:

the troyzan idol thing got me thinking. has there actually ever been a time where someone was swapped into a minority but found an idol and got someone else voted out with a vote of 1? i can't seem to think of any occurrences of this.

Nope, according to the Survivor wiki the lowest number of votes remaining after an idol was play was 2, a couple of times.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Adus posted:

It's not in anyone's best interest to ever let this happen. If someone is literally on their own with an idol, they know they're going to be targeted. It's much better in that situation to say "hey, I have an idol, who wants to align with me" and try to fracture the group targeting them than it is to try and make a surprise idol play and be the sole opposing vote.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite use of that was when Mike thretened playing an idol to see if anyone would flip off Shirin. His little "Someone voted Dan" at the end was so petty but so satisfying.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Interesting scenario if troyzan pulls idol in play and the votes go 3 on him 1 on someone else and 1 someone other. Can't troyzan force the remaining 2 voters to go for rocks?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nexal posted:

Interesting scenario if troyzan pulls idol in play and the votes go 3 on him 1 on someone else and 1 someone other. Can't troyzan force the remaining 2 voters to go for rocks?

Yes, which is why (assuming people play rationally, which...) he can potentially split the tribe quite dramatically, because people have an incentive to go along with his vote.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Max posted:

My favorite use of that was when Mike thretened playing an idol to see if anyone would flip off Shirin. His little "Someone voted Dan" at the end was so petty but so satisfying.

I remember this. A hilarious tribal. I loved watching Mike scramble.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just listening to Caleb's exit interview on RHAP. Apparently Sierra made comments at Tribal about Tai going to Caleb's wedding as a reasoning for why they're close. Caleb responding by saying Sierra and Hali have matching tattoos from their experience in World's Apart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nexal posted:

I would love that and that would singlehandedly propel Troyzan (or whoever came up with that plan) to the top of my list for this season. It's almost a shame Kass isn't there, that's the kind of chaos she would thrive on.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Nexal posted:

Troyzan's tribe is 6 people, so it'd be 4-1-1, but same idea holds. Specifically, it might be a good idea for him to say "I have the idol and am playing it no matter what. Tonight I'm voting for Zeke. Zeke, the only way to save yourself is to vote for someone other than me, of your choosing. Then, the rest go to rocks unless someone else flips their vote."

If Troyzan does intend to threaten the others with the idol, he'll actually need to do something creative like that though. A generic "I have the idol everyone, let's all vote Ozzy because I'm voting for him anyway" at Tribal won't really work because the others can just lie and say they are voting Ozzy and actually vote Troyzan, so either Troyzan goes out 5-1 or Troyzan plays the idol and Ozzy goes out with 1 vote and the next round they just vote out Troyzan anyway. He could try the Survivor Russian Roulette thing that Mike tried and announce at Tribal that he has the idol and is voting for someone at random, but then he risks an inner alliance of 3 (say Andrea, Ozzy, and Sarah) putting votes on Cirie and then just voting Troyzan out next time.

An alternate idea to actually build a solid alliance of 3 going forward might be to threaten 2 specific people that are extra paranoid. Lay out the following scenario in private, to say Cirie and Zeke: "I have the idol and my target is any one of the other three of Sarah, Andrea, or Ozzy. Because I have no way to trust you until the votes are read, I'm voting for one of you two at random and playing my idol. If you want to work with me, vote one of the other three tonight and make sure the other three vote for me, and it'll be a 2-1 vote and your safe. Otherwise, if you vote for me, one of you two will be out with 1 vote. Or, if you spoil this plan to the other 3, they'll just target one of you two to save themselves." If he's daring, he could approach two others (say, Andrea and Sarah) with the same plan, and then potentially risk sitting on the idol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Just listening to Caleb's exit interview on RHAP. Apparently Sierra made comments at Tribal about Tai going to Caleb's wedding as a reasoning for why they're close. Caleb responding by saying Sierra and Hali have matching tattoos from their experience in World's Apart.

Man, Caleb came across as such a whiny baby in that interview.

Also, Johnny Fairplay is incredibly boring when he's sober.

I didn't make it all the way through either of those shows. Hopefully Nicole was good on the feedback show, I haven't listened to it yet.

Oh gently caress, and next week is the live Know-it-Alls, can't wait to hear Eliza shrieking like a drunken idiot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Maybe RHAP just isn't for you? :shrug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Adus posted:

It would take someone in this three tribe situation getting an idol, and being so socially inept that they think the idol can only be used to save themselves.
Unless they're right before the next swap/merge, or feel comfortable that the tribe won't go to tribal again, it's only delaying the inevitable. a 5-1 idol play just means a 4-1 vote out next time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Maybe RHAP just isn't for you? :shrug:

RHAP is actually pretty good??

Kass was great last week, and (non-Live) Know-it-Alls are always good. Most of the non-alumni voice mail guests are pretty good. I like the Wiggle Room too.

"Why [blank] lost the game" and "This week in Survivor history" are pretty terrible though.

It's just this week was two straight dud guests, and Vytas last week sucked too. Sometimes they just have bad people on, but it's less often than not.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Spatula City posted:

It would take someone in this three tribe situation getting an idol, and being so socially inept that they think the idol can only be used to save themselves.
Unless they're right before the next swap/merge, or feel comfortable that the tribe won't go to tribal again, it's only delaying the inevitable. a 5-1 idol play just means a 4-1 vote out next time.

There might not be a "next time" if they get merged or re-shuffled again.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lone Goat posted:

There might not be a "next time" if they get merged or re-shuffled again.

True, but you can't bank on that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The live Know-It-Alls are very bad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Spatula City posted:

You're the one that said "inevitable". Sometimes one week is all you need to turn a game around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spatula City posted:

You can bank on it if you pay any attention at all to Survivor. Like if they follow just about every other Survivor season, they will go back to 2 tribes at 14 then merge at 12.

Plus with it being early in the game still, getting someone from the main alliance voted out and having another 3 days is enough time to find those not comfortable with the alliance that might flip.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You can bank on it if you pay any attention at all to Survivor. Like if they follow just about every other Survivor season, they will go back to 2 tribes at 14 then merge at 12.

Plus with it being early in the game still, getting someone from the main alliance voted out and having another 3 days is enough time to find those not comfortable with the alliance that might flip.

The Legacy advantage seems to pretty much confirm they'll be merging at 13. That and the double TC means that we'll hit the merge in four episodes. They could still do a re-merge (Gabon did a second swap that lasted a very short time before the merge), but it'd be pretty tight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My thinking with Troyzan is if he ends up at tribal before a merge he should just announce he has the idol pre-Tribal and force everyone to start scrambling. That could create some divides if a clear bottom of the alliance emerges and then Troyzan could theoretically work on turning someone else and forming a small alliance.

He should play it no matter what because one week could get him to the merge but I think you want to force everyone out of their safe alliance and hope cracks start forming. Especially in case the merge doesnt come right away. Announcing in Tribal is great TV but it doesn't take full advantage of paranoia and scrambling.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

RHAP is actually pretty good??

Kass was great last week, and (non-Live) Know-it-Alls are always good. Most of the non-alumni voice mail guests are pretty good. I like the Wiggle Room too.

"Why [blank] lost the game" and "This week in Survivor history" are pretty terrible though.

It's just this week was two straight dud guests, and Vytas last week sucked too. Sometimes they just have bad people on, but it's less often than not.
Caleb's exit interview was great actually, because he admitted that "someone" not playing this season had told him Tony and Sandra sucked and that "someone" had pressured him to vote out Sandra. He was talking about Russell obviously and it's really funny what a huge baby Russell is. Speaking of huge babies if you listen to "This week in Survivor history" it seems like Rob has a recurring gag where he whines about the quiz whenever he doesn't do well.

I find myself not that often listening to Wiggle Room or Why X Lost because KIA, recap, and voice mails is already so much content. Wiggle Room really has no reason to exist except Rob wanted to do a show with Wigler.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Caleb just has generally never shown an ability for introspection and that's really the thing that makes exit interviews interesting.

Plus in BB he showed a propensity to lie constantly to fluff up his own image so its hard to really take any one sided stuff like "Brad Culpepper was scared of me because I'm such an alpha male" or "I called out Sierra and it just didn't make air" at face value without wondering if Caleb's just comforting his own ego a little.

And like, the whole "its not my fault I was against Sandra and trashed her before the game, someone told me she was" thing kind of feels like more of the same to me. Although I totally buy that Russell was feeding Caleb poo poo and Caleb was fully buying into it.

I also fully admit I just don't like the guy.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Have they ever done a merge, un-merge, the remerge? I know they've done 2-3-2 before but did they ever go 2-1-2 or something similar?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Capsaicin posted:

Have they ever done a merge, un-merge, the remerge? I know they've done 2-3-2 before but did they ever go 2-1-2 or something similar?

No, the closest was the fake merge in Thailand

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Caleb's exit interview was great actually, because he admitted that "someone" not playing this season had told him Tony and Sandra sucked and that "someone" had pressured him to vote out Sandra. He was talking about Russell obviously and it's really funny what a huge baby Russell is. Speaking of huge babies if you listen to "This week in Survivor history" it seems like Rob has a recurring gag where he whines about the quiz whenever he doesn't do well.

I find myself not that often listening to Wiggle Room or Why X Lost because KIA, recap, and voice mails is already so much content. Wiggle Room really has no reason to exist except Rob wanted to do a show with Wigler.

I thought I made it quite clear I am not interested in listening to huge babies.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rewatching Survivor China. How were these people talking about selecting a 'leader for the tribe' in season 15? Isn't that some season 1 stuff?

Anyway, I forgot about the other tribe without Courtney/Todd/James/John R. Jamie and Frosty ftw!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Frosti was seriously awesome, especially for having played at age 18 and being as insightful as anybody else on that season; he just got left in a lovely position. I'd love to see him come back, even if I doubt he will at this point. Fingers crossed?

I thought, if I recall correctly, Jeff kind of forced that whole leader business in the tribals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't China kind of a rough environment? The whole "pick a leader" thing seemed to be largely rooted in the whole "someone has to actually get us organized so we don't starve and sleep on the ground with rats." The concept seemed to go by the wayside along with the show kind of abandoning the whole "survival" aspect of the show (except when it rains hard) so it would make sense for it to pop back up if things get tough, and I thought China was tougher because it wasn't the typical tropical setting.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Zhan Hu was just a disaster of a tribe. People were argumentative and got sick, sometimes both. Save for Frosti, they got all of the contentious strong personalities (Chicken, wrestler lady, alpha male, Peih Gee, Shirea riding the work horse until its legs fell off​). Fei Long only had Courtney and Genre Bear going at it. I think Jeff enforced the leader thing from his wit's end.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

If there was one season I could watch for the first time again it would be China.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Previously on Survivor...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hope people actually post in the thread this week!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll shitpost as much as I can

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
West coast feed :(

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lmao someone get deceived by Debbie

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
bowling on Wednesdays :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Feeling very confident that Debbie's firm statement at 8:02 will hold true.

• Locked thread