Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have a cheap reel from Aldi, and it works just fine. Definitely the best/neatest option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

rdb posted:

Keep in mind that if you buy one of those boxes second hand that there could very well be a lien on it. In most states snap on can repossess a box just like they would a car. So even if you paid someone off Craigslist for it, snap on could and will still take it from you. It's best to check with your local snap on dealer before you pay.
That's loving intense.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

That's loving intense.

I should just put an engine on a toolbox and drive it around and skip the car entirely

edit: lots of special NASCAR commemorative editions on craigslist

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

-Inu- posted:

That's loving intense.

how would they even find your toolbox? lojack for toolboxes? lol

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

shovelbum posted:

I should just put an engine on a toolbox and drive it around and skip the car entirely

I think this is the general concept behind a contractor van.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The 'toolbox repo' rabbit hole is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bOeyqwuL4k

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

BraveUlysses posted:

how would they even find your toolbox? lojack for toolboxes? lol

Most of the time it's when you try to order keys for it or if you resell and post the serial number. If you just have it in your garage than no they won't find it. It still pays to put in a phone call before you fork over $$$$ for a used box.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I used to be a partsman at a shop the Snap on guy repo'd a techs entire tool set chest and all. It was pretty sad. The other techs teased him incessantly after that.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

shovelbum posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a thing. They are meant for A&P techs to move them between hangars.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

Keep in mind that if you buy one of those boxes second hand that there could very well be a lien on it. In most states snap on can repossess a box just like they would a car. So even if you paid someone off Craigslist for it, snap on could and will still take it from you. It's best to check with your local snap on dealer before you pay.

IIRC, you can call Snap-On with the serial and check with them. Wise investment if you're buying a big box.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I mean you can lease dogs now so I guess a lien on a toolbox isn't that surprising.

Capitalism, catch the fever!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I went to school with a guy who was the only one of us who'd been an actual mechanic, and he rolled in with a cardboard box full of jumbled name brand tools, the bottom busted open and there was Snap On everywhere.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I mean you can lease dogs now so I guess a lien on a toolbox isn't that surprising.

Capitalism, catch the fever!

My only sympathy is for the animals. But maybe this will make people think twice going to a pet store and instead take on a rescue animal.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
You need to reevaluate your life if you need a payment plan for a loving dog in the first place.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

-Inu- posted:

You need to reevaluate your life if you need a payment plan for a loving dog spanner in the first place.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

-Inu- posted:

You need to reevaluate your life if you need a payment plan for a loving dog in the first place.

So much this. Or are unwilling to care for it properly

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

When Stanley buys an established tool line, do they maintain the quality level that existed pre-acquisition? I've heard people say they decline but those people are dubious sources.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

-Inu- posted:

Have you seen the price of a brand-new Samoyed these days?! How am I supposed to outdo Becky and her labradoodle with a used dog?? Ugh

Had a girl show disdain for 'used dogs' on a date once, there was no second date.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hard to say, probably depends on the brand and where they are currently made and how those locations will play into the brand's image going forward.

Craftsman will be a good one to watch as Stanley takes them over--currently it can be kinda hit or miss brand since sears has been colossally loving it up while they have switched some production overseas and kept some here at home.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Slow decline over the years that might have happened anyway with management changes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Slim Pickens posted:

Had a girl show disdain for 'used dogs' on a date once, there was no second date.

BraveUlysses posted:

Hard to say, probably depends on the brand and where they are currently made and how those locations will play into the brand's image going forward.

This one two post combo confused me for a second.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slim Pickens posted:

There is a risk of them having serious temperament/personality issues you only find out about once you've got them home.

I'm sure you can fill in the :iamafag: part of the joke for yourself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys, it summer is approaching, and the wife and I want to fight and argue about stupid loving shades of blue and grey paint our interior.

What's the skinny on "airless paint sprayers"? I don't have a compressor; I don't have other painting gear. I want to spend correctly on choosing the right sprayer and paint, so I can avoid doing lots of mixing.

Should I just stick to rollers? I've always been bad at painting with rollers, and I get impatient; I can prep well, but I could not loving stand brushing and brushing and brushing all goddamn day for huge walls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i saw an instructional video a while back where the guy painted his whole apartment by wrapping everything he didn't want painted and putting fireworks in the paint bucket. Maybe try that? seems easier.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

i saw an instructional video a while back where the guy painted his whole apartment by wrapping everything he didn't want painted and putting fireworks in the paint bucket. Maybe try that? seems easier.

That was a Mr. Bean episode, not a documentary. Hth (I'm a giant prick!)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

THANKS THAT WORKED PRETTY GOOD I THINK IT BROKE MY CEILING FAN THOUGH AS IT'S MAKING A HIGH PITCHED WHINE EVEN WHEN IT'S NOT ON.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

What's the skinny on "airless paint sprayers"? I don't have a compressor; I don't have other painting gear. I want to spend correctly on choosing the right sprayer and paint, so I can avoid doing lots of mixing.

Should I just stick to rollers? I've always been bad at painting with rollers, and I get impatient; I can prep well, but I could not loving stand brushing and brushing and brushing all goddamn day for huge walls.

Airless paint sprayers are absolutely fantastic, and the one I bought from harbor freight a few years ago has been one of the best things I've ever bought.

... For outside. You're going to get some overspray, and unless you want to prep the entire room with plastic sheeting, I'd stick with rollers. Also, interior paint is expensive, and sprayers aren't the most efficient, especially with the set up, priming, and cleaning process. Taping trim and using rollers would be way faster for interiors.

Just for how awesome airless sprayers are though, I spent about six hours hand painting one side of my garage, figured there was no way I'd ever finish by the time winter set in, so I caved and bought the sprayer, and managed to get the entire thing done in less than forty five minutes. Thing is absolute magic. Paint has held up well, and with good cleaning the sprayer has worked every time I've needed it since. Biggest downside is the clean up and set up take longer than the actual painting, but it's worth it if you've got a lot of area to cover. What's even better is you can run regular latex primer and paint through no problem, and cleanup is just hot soapy water.

E: Make sure you've got a full respirator and goggles, droplets can and will catch the wind and come back to cover everything on your face

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 22, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
About 12 to 14 years ago (jeez, that long?) I used a Wagner paint sprayer to paint my parents' bedroom. They spent all afternoon doing the prep work and I had it painted in no time - like half an hour. It went very well and has lasted all this time.

You do have to do a LOT of prepwork, though, as there is a lot of overspray, and you do need a good respirator. I don't mind the prep and would just tape everything off with plastic sheets, spray, and touch up as needed. I hate rolling, and the overspray isn't bad as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

When Stanley buys an established tool line, do they maintain the quality level that existed pre-acquisition? I've heard people say they decline but those people are dubious sources.

Mac went right into the made in China poo poo hole in the last few years with Stanley running it. So there's that. Everything I've had warrantied from old mac to the new stuff has been straight garbage.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

shovelbum posted:

What's the deal with automotive-oriented toolboxes being so expensive? I keep seeing big Matcos or whatever on Craigslist, and I feel like for $8000 I could buy a lot of Vidmars that I have seen take a real beating.

All the big players do this thing where they list a tool box at twice the price they will actually sell it for. Go to snap on's web site and cut those prices in half. So everyone thinks they got the deal of the century when they score a box so cheap, and then try to sell it for full list. They also probably have liens on them too. Not that it matters till you try and warranty a slide or something.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Guys, it summer is approaching, and the wife and I want to fight and argue about stupid loving shades of blue and grey paint our interior.

Even with sprayers you have to back roll the walls with a roller to even it out. Cutting in corners and around windows is the part that takes the longest. Once that's done rolling the paint on the walls takes no time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

slidebite posted:

Reels kick rear end but do yourself a favor and get a quality one. A lovely reel sucks and will drive you up the wall. Reelcraft makes good stuff.

shovelbum posted:

... but I do know that lovely Korean/Chinese ones are maddening

Ok, thanks. Reelcraft is more than I want to spend even though I'm sure it's worth it and I understand the value of a good tool.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Thumposaurus posted:

Even with sprayers you have to back roll the walls with a roller to even it out. Cutting in corners and around windows is the part that takes the longest. Once that's done rolling the paint on the walls takes no time.

Whenever I need to do this kind of stuff, I always take cues from the professional plasterers/painters that I have met. Drink steadily, perhaps pausing to smoke pot when "waiting for the paint to tack up", and wear clothing that is improved in appearance and perhaps smell by the addition of paint.

Actually, buy really good and paint appropriate brushes, and rollers. Good brushes will last ages, and can both carry and flow paint better; you'll need less masking too. Cheap rollers can loving shed lint. Go to an actual paint store (not a big box place), and talk to knowledgeable people. Buy a brush/roll spinner for cleanup or color changes and/or saran wrap tightly and refrigerate between drinking sessions.

I rather like painting, now that I think about it!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Airless paint sprayers are magical and I really want to pick one up to use for painting my beaters. I figure if I could make a rattle-can job look good, I can make an airless sprayer job look great.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

QuarkMartial posted:

About 12 to 14 years ago (jeez, that long?) I used a Wagner paint sprayer to paint my parents' bedroom. They spent all afternoon doing the prep work and I had it painted in no time - like half an hour. It went very well and has lasted all this time.

You do have to do a LOT of prepwork, though, as there is a lot of overspray, and you do need a good respirator. I don't mind the prep and would just tape everything off with plastic sheets, spray, and touch up as needed. I hate rolling, and the overspray isn't bad as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing.

I know it's counter-intuitive but I don't get annoyed with prepping; but thinking about it, I have a lot of loving prep to do regardless.

This is an example of the horrible living room colors the PO did.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I spray painted like 18 full sized fence panels in the time my wife painted 1 by hand last year, mine looked better too. This year I'll be painting all the interior doors outside with the same sprayer.
E: £40 from aldi, I'd definitely try spraying a beater with it.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Between my dad and I we have 2 of the harbor freight sprayers (decent and compatible with graco parts) and 2 Graco's. Great for exterior, and pretty good for interior, if you have good ventilation setup. That said, we rarely use them indoors for anything other than cabinetry. Simple fact is rolling is faster. There is so much prep time to setup to spray inside, better to just roll it.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Also don't forget to use paint modifier so the paint can flow and smooth out before drying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rectal Placenta posted:

Also don't forget to use paint modifier so the paint can flow and smooth out before drying.

Honest to god question, I've used Flotrol when painting with a small nap roller...not really sure it made a hell of a difference. Does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Poisonlizard posted:

Between my dad and I we have 2 of the harbor freight sprayers (decent and compatible with graco parts) and 2 Graco's. Great for exterior, and pretty good for interior, if you have good ventilation setup. That said, we rarely use them indoors for anything other than cabinetry. Simple fact is rolling is faster. There is so much prep time to setup to spray inside, better to just roll it.

what about power rollers especially for my really high ceilings?