Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I want to punch whoever coined "transexuals" for crossdressers instead of people who want sexual reassignment, because it's loving up the gender discourse.

i thought everyone called them transvestites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

you realize that "gay" meant "happy" and "lesbian" meant "person from lesbos" until the 20th century and that transgender was coined in 1965, right? why do you favor that terminology besides it being the terminology you're used to?

sexuality and gender are a complicated mixture of biology (which is messy and inexact), cultural values, and environmental influences (which are in a state of constant and increasingly rapid flux), not a set of inviolable divine strictures

how about instead of hating weird young people trying to figure out who they are you hate the fascists who use them as scapegoats, i.e. the people this thread is about

you know in a way milo is brilliant bc he's trying to prove his theory about transwomen being molesters by dressing like a woman and molesting children

that's commitment to an ethos

This is probably not the thread to hash this out in, but I'll just say I don't have to choose. I can hate both the fash who hurt trans people because they're evil fucks and the stupid confused kids (and 20somethings) who are painting a giant target on trans people's backs because they provide a perfect example for how howlingly crazy they think actual trans people are.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

i thought everyone called them transvestites

the most common terminology ya is that transvestites are crossdressers (sometimes w/ paraphilic implications as opposed to just saying "crossdresser"; i.e. "transvestic fetishism" is the psych term for a dude who gets off on wearing womens' clothes or w/e)

but everybody including within the medical/psychological community uses these words slightly differently, sets slightly different barriers between them, and is in the process of having a conversation to figure out what they should and shouldn't mean and what we do and don't understand about sex, sexuality, and gender

it's a really heady topic with little consensus and has been for decades

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with taking people identifying as demiboys or neutrois (or any of the myriad of other made up genders) seriously. I find their insistence on being included in the LGBT community offensive and I guarantee you in 10 years the vast majority of them will be cisgendered heterosexual housewives ruining their children's lives.

Like wizard just said, they are just kids figuring out their identity in a completely harmless way.

The gender binary isn't real get over it mate

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

the stupid confused kids (and 20somethings) who are painting a giant target on trans people's backs

People who hate trans people think that "ordinary" binary gendered conventional trans people are hosed up freaks, that's nothing to do with the "transtrenders". Similarly, it isn't the outlandishly-dressed people in the gay pride parade who are responsible for homophobic assaults, and it's not the "thugs" who are to blame for racist abuse, despite what some people insist.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's actually way weirder to vote for Bush in 2004 but not 2000. I mean, what the gently caress?

Maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else on this.

ACTUALLY YOU'RE RIGHT: MORE INEXCUSABLE

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Montasque posted:

4chan assures me when a white man mates with a non-white woman he is 'bleaching' her genetics and 'colonizing' her womb.

You see it's only bad when women do it.

I guess 4chan doesn't know how dominant and recessive genes work.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Also, some trans people are old. Even more shocking, they were trans before we had tumblr :eyepop:

Speaking of this, but is the character that kills themselves in " and Justice for All" who Al Pacino is suppose to be representing a drag queen or Trans?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pantsuit posted:

Like wizard just said, they are just kids figuring out their identity in a completely harmless way.

The gender binary isn't real get over it mate

You will never convince me that canisgender is a thing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line here is that the problem isn't the legitimacy of transgender struggle, but its exploitation by liberals whose only interest is in bougiefying it so they can move on to some other marginalized class until they run out of real victims and have to invent new classes to liberate. Like furries.

But this exploitation is a two way street. The CHUDs are only insanely mad about trans issues because they've accepted gayness as a reality, and they need something new to hate and be reactionary about. And they are murdering transgender people.

The point that progress is achieved through universal emancipation, and that we should be creating a society where anybody can be what they want within ethical bounds.

All the liberal acceptance in the world isn't going to give homeless queers food and shelter, for instance. Everyone is being ruthlessly exploited, and when we're considered no longer of use then we're discarded onto the margins of society like trash, or killed.

This is some abyss gazing back poo poo

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
Came here to laugh at Nazis and instead I get some navel-gazey poo poo about the difference between transvestites and transsexuals

What the hell C-SPAM

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, cspam owns

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I guess 4chan doesn't know how dominant and recessive genes work.

4chan is Liquid Snake?

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Montasque posted:

For people who are really concerned about the future of the white race almost none of them have kids.

A ton of racist white guys have Asian wives/girlfriends/fetishes, and see them as "whiter" in values than actual white women.

https://longingfordeath.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/racist-white-men-love-asian-women%E2%9D%97%EF%B8%8F/

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

goodog posted:

A ton of racist white guys have Asian wives/girlfriends/fetishes, and see them as "whiter" in values than actual white women.

https://longingfordeath.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/racist-white-men-love-asian-women%E2%9D%97%EF%B8%8F/

They like the perceived traditionalism and submissiveness of Asian women compared to spoiled western sluts who have their own opinions and won't rub my feet when I tell them to. :mad:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
As a man who dated an imaginary asian girl from canada in high school, let me tell you, they are not like that at all and if you start pouring too much mental energy into them they become independent of your will and sow mischief in your small town until you and a rag tag team of unlikely allies band together to stop them once and for all.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Whenever I hear a guy say some poo poo like "I got yellow fever" it sends intense douche chills up and down my body. It also allows me to peek deep into their soul - I see all their insecurities manifest in dehumanizing and fetishizing an entire race of women because of animes.

Also judging from Richard Spencer and 4chan it's obvious that video games and anime are a big influence on the alt-right. It's time we ban video games and anime once and for all.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Fascist Yooka Laylee has removed Jontron from their game for speaking his mind!

https://techraptor.net/content/playtonic-games-jon-jafari-yooka-laylee

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Montasque posted:

It's time we ban video games and anime once and for all.

or just use them as weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCSNa38MQrI

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Montasque posted:

Whenever I hear a guy say some poo poo like "I got yellow fever" it sends intense douche chills up and down my body. It also allows me to peek deep into their soul - I see all their insecurities manifest in dehumanizing and fetishizing an entire race of women because of animes.

Also judging from Richard Spencer and 4chan it's obvious that video games and anime are a big influence on the alt-right. It's time we ban video games and anime once and for all.

haha fat loving chance woke

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Uncle Wemus posted:

Fascist Yooka Laylee has removed Jontron from their game for speaking his mind!

https://techraptor.net/content/playtonic-games-jon-jafari-yooka-laylee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELRgkRMkj6w

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no one should give a gently caress about via what mechanism you gently caress with and who you gently caress and how as the aforementioned loving is consensual(giant asterisk here for :aatrek: and creepy creepy poo poo)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Chemzes/status/845049349566550016

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wow what an idiot

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

saying BLM are thugs is just a difference of opinion guys

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Further proof that 'empowerment' means whatever the gently caress you want it to mean, and is therefore useless.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Self-destructive spiral spotted

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/845054081441959937

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

"The Odyssey Online" is literally the worst, it's not a real like news place though
it's really just livejournal for college kids who think they can be hotshot thinkpiecers

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what is it with some promiscuous gay guys and far right politics
i feel like im missing something. lucian is like someone xeroxed milo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sexual fetishization of domination/submission, and failing to recognize that reality is not the same thing as fantasy. That leads naturally into a politics that justifies power inequality, which leads into racism because that's what racism is.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rudatron you rarly have useful insight into things so "gay people like bdsm thus are super-republicans" ain't gonna fly

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol wow he's cool

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

the self-destructive death spirals are more interesting to me.

anyways you can set your watch to that ending badly.

one of several unfortunate lessons Christopher Hitchens left for young writers (especially young right-wing writers) is that being a raging drunk is cool and will make you better at your job. but Hitchens was so practiced at writing in his particular style that he could churn it out despite being hammered. getting sloshed in your spare time is one thing but doing it professionally isn't going to work out for most people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

lot of stuff

affluence enables them to isolate themselves from most of the social and political consequences of being lgbt by living in places like nyc and sf

gays can also avoid social consequences by living in the closet unlike a lot of minorities

internalized self-hatred is very common among gay men and transwomen, bc most ppl who grow up as queer boys are the targets of constant ridicule and abuse

they're just as capable of being misogynist dickheads or racists as straight white men

a lot of gay dudes are into theories of masculinity and poo poo, which is a gateway into things like mens rights advocacy, which is a gateway into the far right

etc

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
basically I don't think there's a simple answer to that question, and I think it's also worth noting that the money people and idea guys on the far right are into propping up uncle toms these days because it's slightly harder for liberal pundits to knock them down with softball arguments (so you're prolly perceiving more far-rightism among gay men than actually exists)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

rudatron you rarly have useful insight into things so "gay people like bdsm thus are super-republicans" ain't gonna fly
I didn't say gays are republicans, or even that they're all into bdsm, its just that the far right ones get off on power, then fail to compartmentalize

There's a reason Spencer liked depeche mode (who then told him to gently caress off)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Not sure I agree with everything in the article, but this points out that it's a common trend across the far-right internationally: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/02/01/trumps-support-of-gays-is-right-out-of-the-european-far-right-playbook/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i have a wild-rear end theory that people are reacting on the right and left against changes in the mainstream gay culture in recent years. or at least the outward facing of it that is presented to the public. the public image of gay men (in particular which i will use as an example) were either as sexual deviants or richard simmons. now it's better in some ways but i think a lot of people find it stifling.

the new image is like... NOT deviant. NOT clownish. but also NOT threatening or subversive. you are supposed to be a well-adjusted Good Gay with the Lifetime Achievement Award teaching everyone what it all means. and this is tied up with liberal politics. but individuals are complicated and what if i have a bad day and don't want to be the Good Gay, huh!?!?

so the reaction is happening on the right, and it's kind of a throwback to an earlier era. and it's also happening on the left with the alt-pride festivals now, which is reacting against white Happy Gay man who works in an office, but also tend to really explicitly frame themselves as recapturing the carnal hedonism of the queer past that has been forgotten and etc. etc.

also i really loving dislike lou reed. oh he poo poo on people during an eightball orgy: how transgressive and liberating. he really redeemed the world with that

basically I don't think there's a simple answer to that question, and I think it's also worth noting that the money people and idea guys on the far right are into propping up uncle toms these days because it's slightly harder for liberal pundits to knock them down with softball arguments (so you're prolly perceiving more far-rightism among gay men than actually exists)
i would say there's a lot of them. not most. but probably like the general public. (which is a lot)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wikkheiser posted:

i would say there's a lot of them. not most. but probably like the general public. (which is a lot)

yeah. I don't know if a larger percentage of gay white men than straight white men are into neo-fascism; it's probably even a smaller percentage. it's just that the psychology is different, and people find it weird and interesting that the percentage is non-zero (and very useful to fascists trying to prove their movements aren't based primarily on bigotry and aggrandizing heterosexuality, whiteness, and traditional masculinity)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also what i mean by the lou reed example is that carnal hedonism, while inspiring, is probably not going to save the world. it has its limits as a political philosophy

yeah. I don't know if a larger percentage of gay white men than straight white men are into neo-fascism; it's probably even a smaller percentage. it's just that the psychology is different, and people find it weird and interesting that the percentage is non-zero (and very useful to fascists trying to prove their movements aren't based primarily on bigotry and aggrandizing heterosexuality, whiteness, and traditional masculinity)
yeah i'm like you and not shocked by it being a non-zero. though how right-wing gays are presenting themselves as sexual deviants specifically -- that is interesting