Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

hell has frozen over, I found an ok deal on an old game at a thrift store in a major metropolitan area in 2017

e: they also had a camo blue NGPC for $15 but I already have one and don't want to be a hoarder so I guess if someone in south florida wants one it's at American Thrift in lauderhill, also a couple of the pokemon n64 games like snap and some other one also for $5

tbh go pick up the NGPC for me thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

hell has frozen over, I found an ok deal on an old game at a thrift store in a major metropolitan area in 2017

The Best One

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I actually like both the SNES one and cube one better but tbh theyre all good

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

So Ikaruga is a very hard, very awesome game. I've never played the Dreamcast or GameCube versions but the Steam release is solid.

What are some other shooter's should I try? PC releases, preferably.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

XYZ posted:

So Ikaruga is a very hard, very awesome game. I've never played the Dreamcast or GameCube versions but the Steam release is solid.

How much do you like gothic lolita anime characters?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Even if you don't do Deathsmiles like this guy is gonna say there's always Dariusburst, Raiden, Mushihimesama...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Caitlin posted:

Even if you don't do Deathsmiles like this guy is gonna say there's always Dariusburst, Raiden, Mushihimesama...

I was going more indie, but sure.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was going more indie, but sure.

There's that too I guess it's just "gothic loli shmup" screams Deathsmiles to me :toot:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

XYZ posted:

Mobile Light Force aka Gunbird

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379370/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Was there ever an arcade (or other console/computer) release of Blazing Lazers/Gunhed perhaps under a different name? This game rules.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XYZ posted:

If you're completely unfamiliar with modern shmups then I recommend trying the original Dodonpachi in MAME, it's very straightforward and set the standard for bullet hell games (and if you like it you can buy one of the sequels on Steam).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Was there ever an arcade (or other console/computer) release of Blazing Lazers/Gunhed perhaps under a different name? This game rules.

For arcade you can play Mahou Daisakusen which is the closest thing there will ever be to an arcade Compile shooter as it has much of the same staff from when they left the company to form Raizing. If you want similar console games by the same dudes play Space Megaforce/Super Aleste on SNES (this game is very similar to Blazing Lazers), Musha on Genesis, Robo Aleste/Musha Aleste on Sega CD, Spriggan and Sylphia on PCE-CD, Zanac and Gun-Nac on NES, Power Strike and Power Strike 2 on Master System

edit: also play Guardian Legend on NES which is by the same team but mixes in Zelda style action RPG elements, it's an absolute classic

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 23, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XYZ posted:

Get Crimzon Clover on steam

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XYZ posted:

Most of the obvious stuff has been mentioned, though I will point out that the people who made Ikaruga had an earlier shooter called Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn. Now copies of that go for :retrogames: ... hang on that's not quite right. Saturn copies of Radiant Silvergun go for

However, there was a re-release for the Xbox 360 which can still be purchased on Live Arcade.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
In a similar vein, are there any shooters on steam or for PC that should be avoided?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XYZ posted:

Ya'll have failed to mention a true classic; Motherfuckin' Tyrian 2000!. It's even free on GoG.com!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

In a similar vein, are there any shooters on steam or for PC that should be avoided?

yeah like 90% of them. you can pretty much ignore everything that got released directly to steam without being doujin or arcade first

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ya'll have failed to mention a true classic; Motherfuckin' Tyrian 2000!. It's even free on GoG.com!

I always felt like the people who made this game never actually played shooters because everything about it feels really bizarre and off but hey different strokes

e: actually a good rule of thumb is to avoid any shooter with money or a shop that isn't called gun-nac

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

d0s posted:

I always felt like the people who made this game never actually played shooters because everything about it feels really bizarre and off but hey different strokes

e: actually a good rule of thumb is to avoid any shooter with money or a shop that isn't called gun-nac

Even Jets N Guns?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Even Jets N Guns?

I've never played it because it sets off like every one of my avoid alarms but probably

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ed Fries, who writes great long-form articles about restoring ancient arcade games, put up a new article: Chasing the First Arcade Easter Egg

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We're re-organizing, here's the new layout for the consoles not under the TV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mariooncrack posted:

"Avoid anything not made in Japan" is the lazy answer.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Chainclaw posted:

We're re-organizing, here's the new layout for the consoles not under the TV.

Can you even fit a cart in that N64?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Can you even fit a cart in that N64?

This shelf is in a different room than the TV, it's display/storage. When we play a system we'll grab it off the shelf, grab the associated box of controllers and cables, and hook it up to the TV.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

actually I'm gonna use the jets n guns steam page to kind of explain what makes me avoid a shooter

the absurd amount of levels and weapons and the "upgrade" feature suggests this isn't a game to learn and beat on a credit, it's a game to grind for cash in, pimp your ship out and sleepwalk through. it's like the exact opposite of the structure of every good shooter

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

Dunno man, Fantasy Zone and Forgotten Worlds rule.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Avoid anything not made in Japan" is the lazy answer.

there are plenty of downright awful japanese shooters too but yeah this does help narrow it down and get you started

falz posted:

Dunno man, Fantasy Zone and Forgotten Worlds rule.

I actually don't like fantasy zone but yeah forgotten worlds is good. like it's not impossible to do shops right it's just so incredibly rare

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jets n' Guns is good and fun, it's just different from your normal-rear end coin-op shmup.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

d0s posted:

e: they also had a camo blue NGPC for $15 but I already have one and don't want to be a hoarder so I guess if someone in south florida wants one it's at American Thrift in lauderhill, also a couple of the pokemon n64 games like snap and some other one also for $5

Any chance you could sell me the NGPC, I had a camo blue one and it got stolen from my bag on the train back in 2000 or so

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

XYZ posted:

The Tale of Alltynex is a collection of three decent shooters. They don't really scratch the best in the genre, but they're solid and worth buying when a sale hits. I like Reflex best.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39160/

Also, Astebreed is on sale right now. It's kinda fun, though it's sometimes hard to make out your character in the flashy bullet storms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also Lords of Thunder has a shop and is good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ESCHATOS is a great shooter on Steam that is criminally underappreciated.

The Wonderswan prequels, JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD - Resurrection -, are also on Steam, and are pretty good as well!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

The Tale of Alltynex is a collection of three decent shooters. They don't really scratch the best in the genre, but they're solid and worth buying when a sale hits. I like Reflex best.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39160/

Also, Astebreed is on sale right now. It's kinda fun, though it's sometimes hard to make out your character in the flashy bullet storms.

The Kins posted:

ESCHATOS is a great shooter on Steam that is criminally underappreciated.

The Wonderswan prequels, JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD - Resurrection -, are also on Steam, and are pretty good as well!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also Lords of Thunder has a shop and is good.

this is all true

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are more than a few arcade/Japanese shmups with shop systems but they've become synonymous with euroshmups, so if you're a diehard fan of traditional shmups you'll instinctively duck anything that touts a shop/upgrade system as a selling point because it tends to indicate the game is poorly balanced, poorly paced or both.

Tyrian, Jets 'n Guns, Sky Force, etc are all fine euroshmups if that's your thing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I always felt like raptor played a lot better than tyrian, as far as PC euroshmups go. there's something about the way tyrian controls that enrages me tho

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

d0s posted:

I always felt like raptor played a lot better than tyrian, as far as PC euroshmups go. there's something about the way tyrian controls that enrages me tho

Do you feel like the ship is kinda floaty? No pun intended. Maybe it's just me but there is the slightest little delay from input to ship movement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got my first Dreamcast in 2012.

I've still never owned a Dreamcast. Somehow its just one of those consoles I've avoided. I had a couple friends who had em back in the day, so I'm not massively missing out.

Wamdoodle posted:

So I was listening to some gaming music on Youtube at work and this came up on the auto playlist and I'm wondering how I've never run into it, maybe it came up before!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM

That :krad: guitar intro :rock:

The original for comparison just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw

When did Eddie Van Halen do video game covers?!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Do you feel like the ship is kinda floaty? No pun intended. Maybe it's just me but there is the slightest little delay from input to ship movement.

yeah it's floaty and I think I remember there being inertia which is kind of a huge nope unless you're taito and making a game with "ray" in the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

so I'm not massively missing out.

yes you are

• Locked thread