Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just curious which weapons did everyone go with? I mostly stuck with dual small swords I couldn't get the hang of the other weapons actually.

I'm on my first playthrough atm but primarily I've been using Virtuous Contract and Fang of the Twins in slot one and I just slotted Virtuous Dignity and Beastlord in slot two to try them out.

Also I saw someone mention ZOE-style dash-skiing but I have no idea how to do that other than mashing my right trigger over and over again rather than holding it down to run.

Graphics Related: What the hell is the reason behind the game having a black border over an inch thick all the way around the screen in fullscreen mode? It's irritating as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

Graphics Related: What the hell is the reason behind the game having a black border over an inch thick all the way around the screen in fullscreen mode? It's irritating as gently caress.

PC bug present only in fullscreen mode. Use this to fix: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thank you kindly, fair and gentle goon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Route C I fell in a hole as corrupted B2. Can't jump. Waiting to die alone.

Edit: went into the alien mothership to die looking at the graves of my ancient foes.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 23, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Only sell if you really need money, becuase the sell for more later in the game.

I got 17 jf them and the price is 15000. Sell or wait?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snak posted:

Route C I fell in a hole as corrupted B2. Can't jump. Waiting to die alone.

Edit: went into the alien mothership to die looking at the graves of my ancient foes.

That part is really weird. It took me several tries to do get to where I supposed to get to and I still felt like I didn't do what the designers wanted me to do.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I got 17 jf them and the price is 15000. Sell or wait?

Max is around 22k, so not yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Continuing my story: foubd drugs in my inventory, so I took em. Went out trippin.

Edit: wow and it doesn't checkpoint you at all. I guess Im redoingna whole bunch.

I don't mind this game's save system at all. I don't like its spastic and inconsistent checkpoint system. There was a major cutscene. That's almost​ always meant a checkpoint.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 23, 2017

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just finished Ending E. I have one question at this point: So, if you choose not to salvage the memories (or give up when you gently caress up), does that delete your save like it did in Nier 1?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Continuing my story: foubd drugs in my inventory, so I took em. Went out trippin.

Edit: wow and it doesn't checkpoint you at all. I guess Im redoingna whole bunch.

I don't mind this game's save system at all. I don't like its spastic and inconsistent checkpoint system. There was a major cutscene. That's almost​ always meant a checkpoint.

it says at the very beginning that there aren't autosaves

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I went back and checked, and the YoRHa ladies at the desert oil field and oasis don't disappear after the big event in Route C's opening.

:unsmith:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I went back and checked, and the YoRHa ladies at the desert oil field and oasis don't disappear after the big event in Route C's opening.

:unsmith:

But they're all addicts now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not talking about that. If you die in a bossfight or during a set piece, you're checkpointed.

Unless that death turns out to be an ending.

I tried to save. right after the credits sequence. It said "save available" so i hit the menu button, and it was greyed out, and then I was infected with the virus. And then I fell in a hole.

I have died during plenty of setpieces and bossfights before and jyst been checkpointed. I would rather there just be no checkpoints if it's going to be crazy inconsistent.

Also, I don't know why you've been a huge condescending dick in this thread. I always liked chatting about Bloodborne with you. But here you mostly reply with some snarky poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah but there are, there are several times in boss fights where you get spawned in the middle of the fight if you lose

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As someone who didn't play the first Nier can anyone clarify how the routes work? Is it a clear direct progression from A through to E or what?

I'm only at the beginning of the game still, having just conquered the boss in the desert you encounter after chasing a machine through an apartment complex. Digging the music though.

Also I'm worried from the Steam thread that I'm not gonna want to play this, since I'm on something fierce of a sadbrains downturn and Yoko Taro is a jerk I guess? :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Also, I don't know why you've been a huge condescending dick in this thread. I always liked chatting about Bloodborne with you. But here you mostly reply with some snarky poo poo.

I'm not trying to be? idk what I'm doing that you find condescending tbh

Ciaphas posted:

As someone who didn't play the first Nier can anyone clarify how the routes work? Is it a clear direct progression from A through to E or what?

when you beat a path, there's a credit scroll and you go into the next one when you load your save again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ciaphas posted:

it's pretty much explained during the game, but basically yes, if you load a cleared route A save, you start on route B

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Snak posted:

I'm not talking about that. If you die in a bossfight or during a set piece, you're checkpointed.

Unless that death turns out to be an ending.

I tried to save. right after the credits sequence. It said "save available" so i hit the menu button, and it was greyed out, and then I was infected with the virus. And then I fell in a hole.

I have died during plenty of setpieces and bossfights before and jyst been checkpointed. I would rather there just be no checkpoints if it's going to be crazy inconsistent.

Given that this is the hole that leads to the alien mothership, didn't the hole have a ladder. Because I'm pretty sure that hole got a ladder added after you entered the mothership way back when.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Also I'm worried from the Steam thread that I'm not gonna want to play this, since I'm on something fierce of a sadbrains downturn and Yoko Taro is a jerk I guess? :ohdear:

You are going to be a very unhappy gamer.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ahahahaha, that Romeo and Juliet production

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Given that this is the hole that leads to the alien mothership, didn't the hole have a ladder. Because I'm pretty sure that hole got a ladder added after you entered the mothership way back when.

Yeah, but once you get to the top of the ladder you have to jump to get out of the pipe, and you can't jump will corrupted

@ManateeCannon don't worry about it, I'm just projecting. I'm sorry.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 23, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

...! posted:

As a trophy hunter, I find it a bit bullshit that you can just straight up buy most of the trophies. It makes the trophies in this game completely meaningless. If you don't care about that kind of thing then you could argue that it doesn't matter. That's a valid opinion but still. :(

Nier and Nier: Automata both make fun of you for caring about these things at various points. You just found how Automata does it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I finished Automata yesterday. Fuckin' adored the game.

Combat is definitely not on par with MGR/Bayonetta, but I wasn't expecting it to be - partly because that wouldn't gel with Nier, partly because the developers said they weren't aiming for that level of complexity. Even then, it feels good to mash buttons, improvise combo strings and customize your character to do what you like doing better. Wanna perfect dodge everything a la Bayonetta? There's a chip for that. Would you rather just smash robots with a big-rear end sword? Pump up attack/crit and go to town. It's just right for an ARPG, and I wish more games gave you that freedom. Like, I've tried getting into Witcher 3 again recently and everything about that game feels plodding and stiff compared to how Nier does things. I mean, Witcher 3 feels like that compared to a lot of open-world games but I'm not here to throw shade on the overrated series Witcher. Just sayin' perfect dodges are cool and feeling good when hitting enemies is also good even if you're in no real danger during combat. Like, even people that found the game to be easy like myself were using completely different movesets and programs than I was.

Another thing I've always felt was a strength of the original and didn't get lost in the sequel was the writing for the sidequests, more specifically how they work towards developing characters or themes in the game. I feel like lots of RPGs don't quite get that right, you get your mission, you do your mission, sometimes ~things aren't as them seem~ and you get a moral decision. Nier always had banter between the characters, either complaining about how stupid it is that they have to go fetch five rat pelts or considering what happened/most likely has happened, which makes the PCs feel more like...people. It's a chance to show off their personalities, motives, even foreshadow future events, and Automata does that extremely well IMO, better than Nier even. Nier hid a lot of cool sidestories under rare item scavenging BS, while I can count on one hand the number of Automata side-missions I couldn't finish in one go. I'm not a completionist and still I finished most sidequests just for the banter or whatever punchline the game was setting up.

As for the main plot, it's strong, full of "what the gently caress" moments and some legit emotional blows. I can point to at least three times where I kinda sorta teared up or lost my wind for a bit: the first one was of course the start of Route C, which Microwave Corridors your main character so far while establishing that the bittersweet note A Route ends on isn't worth anything. Second time was Pascal losing his memories, and you meeting him at the village selling the core of robot children. Ooof. Last but not least, Ending E does something I loved Undertale for and maybe does it better. I wasn't expecting to finish a Yoko Taro game feeling uplifted and happy with myself, but here we are.. I'm a bit scared of people hearing that the game gets better on the later routes and taking that as a rationalization for playing 10-15h of a bad game, but from the get-go I was enjoying myself, it's just that it really ramps up on Route C. If I were to spoil people on something, I'd say don't worry about missing out on quests, there's always an opportunity to do it again and you really shouldn't get burned out before finishing the main story. Pace yourself.

I wouldn't say this is a perfect game, but I think that's why I like it so much. Is the main character a goth loli bot with gratuitous panty shots? Yeah, she is. Does it maybe try out a lot of stuff that you might dislike - and I've seen people disagree on what that stuff is, by the way -? Yeah, it does. Is it basically a polished version of Nier's weirdness when you get down to it? Pretty much. Is it gonna be one of, if not the, best games I've played this year? For sure. Also I think I'm gonna be very upset when the end of the year comes and no one seems to remember this game because they were busy playing BOTW and Mass Effect: Andromeda. "Ah, I heard about it, didn't go past the first ending because I had to gently caress an alien, sorry".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

s'alright. if you think I'm being condescending or w/e in the future, just let me know

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I'm only at the beginning of the game still, having just conquered the boss in the desert you encounter after chasing a machine through an apartment complex. Digging the music though.

Route A -> Route B -> 3rd Route which has the C, D and E endings.
Once you beat the 3rd route once you get chapter select so you can go right to the end and pick the other option for the other ending. That takes you directly into ending E.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You are going to be a very unhappy gamer.

Already there, just wish I could not be bored alongside :v:

Oh well, it is what it is, NieR will be around when I'm feeling better.

(e) Also thanks for the route explanations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nier: Automata is both sad and very hopeful.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't worry Yoko Taro promised you an "ultra happy ending"

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 23, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

Don't worry Yoko Taro promised you an "ultra happy ending"

That's the face of a man you can trust to deliver something happy. :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't really know Yoko Taro from Uncle Jim but I feel deeply like I should not trust that quote :ohdear:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

I don't really know Yoko Taro from Uncle Jim but I feel deeply like I should not trust that quote :ohdear:

Oh, c'mon, look at that smiley face. He would never lie to you. Remember that Yoko Taro is with you always and don't give up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, this poo poo's fuckin hard. I was close this time, but I stopped to try and ride a moose, which did not work and wasted like 30 seconds...

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 23, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

If you really are anxious about this, open this spoiler. I'll keep it vague. The game is dark and honestly? It's an absolute roller coaster that you'll get off of with a giddy head spin after route E. There's up and downs all over the place and the way the machines and YoRHa act in certain places cuts through like a knife for some great laughs. Be ready for some real lows, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Intoluene posted:

If you really are anxious about this, open this spoiler. I'll keep it vague. The game is dark and honestly? It's an absolute roller coaster that you'll get off of with a giddy head spin after route E. There's up and downs all over the place and the way the machines and YoRHa act in certain places cuts through like a knife for some great laughs. Be ready for some real lows, though.

Thanks. It's annoying as hell to have to worry about this sort of thing, believe me, but it does help :)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Got all 5 endings and that last bit was great, this game is a masterpiece but now i just feel kinda sad and empty lol

Also holy crap the voice actor for 9S deserves a video game oscar. What a performance.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Snak posted:

Yeah, but once you get to the top of the ladder you have to jump to get out of the pipe, and you can't jump will corrupted

You can jump while infected with the virus, and in fact the intended path requires you to. While infected 2B switches between a state where she can't run and jump and she can, you just have to wait until the part of the cycle where you can again. When coming out of the flooded city, head to the left and go up the ramp, then when you can jump again leap across the gap. From there it's a straight shot to the ruined mall.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can you even die from the infection before getting to the end? I got smashed a couple of times, once down the hole, but I just spammed healing items until I could move away and gained enough distance every time to keep moving forward.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dias posted:

Can you even die from the infection before getting to the end? I got smashed a couple of times, once down the hole, but I just spammed healing items until I could move away and gained enough distance every time to keep moving forward.

Yes. There's an ending for it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it seriously takes like 20 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dias posted:

that's one of the optional endings