Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bolocko posted:

Who says the atheist Left lacks religious faith? See it here, a shining city on . . . somewhere just past the horizon.

We take what is built by men for the glorification of all men, and we replace it with something else built by men for the glorification of

wait

I can't help but laugh if you think that churches were built for the glorification of all men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Bolocko posted:

Who says the atheist Left lacks religious faith? See it here, a shining city on . . . somewhere just past the horizon.

We take what is built by men for the glorification of all men, and we replace it with something else built by men for the glorification of

wait

The "great" churches of europe were built for the glorification of a ruler or a state. That's it.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I can't help but laugh if you think that churches were built for the glorification of all men.

I suspect we don't share a definition for the term.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bolocko posted:

Probably not.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The grandiosity of cathedrals represents extreme amounts of approproated surplus labor, from a population whose standard of living was so incredibly low, that it would be regarded as inhumane today. Yet, functionally, these buildings serve no other purpose than to aggrandize both the religion they were built for, and the ego of the of the people that paid for them.

Every stone of that building represents an unfed mouth, an unpaved road, or the unclean water peasants had to drink. It represents wasted effort, that could have improved real lives, that instead satisfied the pride of the aristocratic class.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rudatron posted:

The grandiosity of cathedrals represents extreme amounts of approproated surplus labor, from a population whose standard of living was so incredibly low, that it would be regarded as inhumane today. Yet, functionally, these buildings serve no other purpose than to aggrandize both the religion they were built for, and the ego of the of the people that paid for them.

Every stone of that building represents an unfed mouth, an unpaved road, or the unclean water peasants had to drink. It represents wasted effort, that could have improved real lives, that instead satisfied the pride of the aristocratic class.

all_of_civilization.txt

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

And yet destroying them won't undo the harm done in their construction. Some might call it a wasted effort.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

all_of_civilization.txt

I vote we blow up every church and use the material to construct Tatlin's tower

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm usually not so hot on this "atheism is like a religion" thing, but a bunch of you guys sound like the loving Taliban.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Bolocko posted:

Can you please explain how a church is a celebration of humankind?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you believe in god I fail to see what else a thing which represents the height of human artifice at its time and used by countless people in acts of community and as a source of comfort could possibly be.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

rear end struggle posted:

Can you please explain how a church is a celebration of humankind?

Nah

Come and see.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Bolocko posted:

Nah

Come and see.

Can i bring my boys in black and red? We'll show you humanity.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Yep, bring whomever you wish.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Wipe the slate clean, eject us into a blank new characterless world bereft of built heritage. Year zero will commence again.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Jokes aside, I've been to church. It was a celebration of delusion and self-righteousness. It offers the same comfort that heroin does.

Unless you are a UU or something, I fail to see how any of it would celebrate humanity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How many fedoras did you have on at the time?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

How many fedoras did you have on at the time?

ad hominem is cool

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure you get to complain about that when you literally just posted about wanting to string someone up and burn down their church with your band of really stupid anarchists.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure you get to complain about that when you literally just posted about wanting to string someone up and burn down their church with your band of really stupid anarchists.
It doesn't help if your argument doesn't progress beyond
"ur dumb u dumb anarchist haha u redditor"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

History is not stones sitting on the ground or stained glass or whatever's engraved on an old ceiling. History is what we do as human beings.

It's kinda funny watching people go on about how the worst thing ISIS ever did was blow up some stones in Palmyra.

Actually if you destroy those stones can anyone tell that such a place ever existed? Also I was referring to the secularists ignoring the racist history that has accompanied those who declare that reason is why they commit their actions.

Also if the rationalization for colonialism was made by the men who are the prophets of the enlightenment and many in fact did well through such exploitation that calls into question their whole reasons for all their reasoning.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually if you destroy those stones can anyone tell that such a place ever existed? Also I was referring to the secularists ignoring the racist history that has accompanied those who declare that reason is why they commit their actions.

Also if the rationalization for colonialism was made by the men who are the prophets of the enlightenment and many in fact did well through such exploitation that calls into question their whole reasons for all their reasoning.

Lol the rationalism for colonialism was spreading the glory of the crown. They came up with secular arguments to try to justify their royalty (Divine right) driven genocide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uh I think that maybe there might be more people primarily at fault for colonialism than the monarchs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you believe in god I fail to see what else a thing which represents the height of human artifice at its time and used by countless people in acts of community and as a source of comfort could possibly be.

It's a rallying point for reactionary scum, a place where they are revered and worshipped, and these places always have been.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RasperFat posted:

Lol the rationalism for colonialism was spreading the glory of the crown. They came up with secular arguments to try to justify their royalty (Divine right) driven genocide.

The third Republic had a monarch?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Panzeh posted:

It's a rallying point for reactionary scum, a place where they are revered and worshipped, and these places always have been.

Yeah, when I go to my church with its dwindling congregation of 16 or so folk to receive the latest batch of papal orders in our neverending war against secular society I can't help but think, lord above, what reactionary scum we are, how revered we are, how worshipped we feel. As we symbolically cannibalize our dead saviour's flesh and blood all I can think is how important it is to me, to us as a faith, that the revolution is strangled in its crib and that human liberation is forever fettered and hamstrung by me and the 15 other people singing hymns and afterwards shaking hands with the priest, maybe inviting him back for a cup of tea before he takes the ferry to the mainland.

I remember the horror of witnessing weddings and christenings and funerals in these great stone follies and think yes, this is sinister and terrifying and all these people are surely evil servants of a monstrous cult, drawn together by a deep, atavistic compulsion to sow terror and disarray across the world and forever retard the growth and prosperity of mankind.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Bolocko posted:

Nah

Come and see.

I would rather not. They're full of whack jobs who believe that some invisible man in the sky made everything that you see, and suddenly two thousand years ago sent his brown son down here to be ravaged by his creations in order to give flawed people an excuse to never work on their flaws.

Yes, if jesus was real, he was brown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tonetta posted:

woaaaaah

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Tonetta posted:

I would rather not. They're full of whack jobs who believe that some invisible man in the sky made everything that you see, and suddenly two thousand years ago sent his brown son down here to be ravaged by his creations in order to give flawed people an excuse to never work on their flaws.

oh ffffuu

no way?

like next you're gonna tell me he was
a JEW
A SEMITE

who else have you told???

EDIT:

quote:

an excuse to never work on their flaws

In all seriousness though, this is nuts

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 23, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tonetta posted:

Actually, Jesus is God.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

RasperFat posted:

Capitalism drove colonialism. But you're right besides that.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Kingfish posted:

Actually, Jesus is God.

I think you mean Gay. He was a closet gay

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

God is radically egalitarian and was executed for dissent. He could have been gay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably if God is benevolent then he would be pansexual.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

God the Son could have been gay or straight or transsexual and it wouldn't change anything theologically.

God the Father is something radically outside of our ability understand.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Garden of Eden is a metaphor for insentience.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The metaphor explicitly casts the attainment of knowledge as a bad deed deserving of punishment. The snake is the good guy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

TomViolence posted:

And yet destroying them won't undo the harm done in their construction. Some might call it a wasted effort.
Yeah, that's true, but they should be seen for what they are, products of excess, and not whatever you want them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rudatron posted:

The metaphor explicitly casts the attainment of knowledge as a bad deed deserving of punishment. The snake is the good guy.

I would find it rather difficult to disagree given the primary function of sapience appears to be a grotesque overdevelopment of the human capacity to suffer.

• Locked thread