Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

No, I don't see what you meant.

Please explain how someone saying "it looks cool and badass" to you could possibly be taken as "the worst kind of comment".

Add "but I don't mind it" to the last comment and it's all the clarification I care to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dias posted:

See what I meant? Not worth discussing. Move on.

It's just a series of "but ~I~ like it" and that's garbage, I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

Vermain posted:

It is incredibly important to the overall themes of the game, and the game would've been worse without the character designs it does have.

This, honestly. There's a reason that 2B is somewhat sexualized in a game where she will actively knock the camera away if you try to do a creep shot and where she constantly tells a male character trying to get close to her that emotions are prohibited

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well it's been a while since I was the one who inadvertently opened a can of worms on here.

Surprised there isn't a frilly lace parasol skin for the Pod though, given the YoRHa uniform requirements. Maybe top brass is run by someone who found a stash of pre-war Rozen Maiden comics and thought "THAT'S THE LOOK!"

edit:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This, honestly. There's a reason that 2B is somewhat sexualized in a game where she will actively knock the camera away if you try to do a creep shot

:laffo: what

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And considering Simone, the opera boss and her backstory, and then the visual difference between 2B and another similar character later, I feel like it's included in the themes of the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This, honestly. There's a reason that 2B is somewhat sexualized

Yeah Yoko Taro like big asses and admits to being a pervert.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All of you are loving wrong in liking the thing but save your breath because it's not like any of you have anything worthwhile to say on the topic anyways.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hexenritter posted:

Well it's been a while since I was the one who inadvertently opened a can of worms on here.

That wasn't inadvertent as much as it was "maybe it's out of the system by now". I'm stupid, but not stupid enough to engage in a discussion leading nowhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jack Trades posted:

All of you are loving wrong in liking the thing but save your breath because it's not like any of you have anything worthwhile to say on the topic anyways.

I mean he isn't wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hexenritter posted:

It's an understandably contentious topic. I feel like I ought to just write up a big ol' post discussing the game's themes/ideas surrounding sex, love, and violence, because it is easy to assume the outfits are just cheesecake pandering on a casual glance. It's only once you start getting near the end of route B that you get a broad enough picture to understand how the character design fits into the larger narrative.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean he isn't wrong.

It's just a series of "but ~I~ think he isn't wrong" and that's garbage, I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vermain posted:

It's an understandably contentious topic. I feel like I ought to just write up a big ol' post discussing the game's themes/ideas surrounding sex, love, and violence, because it is easy to assume the outfits are just cheesecake pandering on a casual glance. It's only once you start getting near the end of route B that you get a broad enough picture to understand how the character design fits into the larger narrative.

Nah dude you just want to **** 2B

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It's just a series of "but ~I~ think he isn't wrong" and that's garbage, I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

Agreed especially when the creator has said why he did it, it's just pointless justification.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Agreed especially when the creator has said why he did it, it's just pointless justification.

Bad news: the creator is dead. All that remains of Yoko Taro is the work in front of us.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dias posted:

That wasn't inadvertent as much as it was "maybe it's out of the system by now". I'm stupid, but not stupid enough to engage in a discussion leading nowhere.

Fair point, and in hindsight my post does sort of look bait-y. I just happen to like the aesthetic and I have no idea how it apparently fits into the overall narrative unless the overall narrative is "the only surviving humans were the employees and families of a sexbot factory on the moon."

Vermain posted:

I'm curious to see how it all fits in and ties together and also intrigued and fascinated by how many people have been afflicted by sadbrains by the game in the few pages of this thread I've read.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

King of Solomon posted:

I just finished Ending E. I have one question at this point: So, if you choose not to salvage the memories (or give up when you gently caress up), does that delete your save like it did in Nier 1?

Does anyone have an answer to my question? It got lost in the other discussions

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Dias posted:

I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

apology accepted

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I don't think many would do that instead of the other, more obvious path to more content, which is why nobody has replied, I guess.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

This is all I'll say about the subject, because the reason WHY I don't wanna engage is exactly this "but you missed ~the themes~" conversation and nah, I really didn't. I just think everything the game could have achieved doesn't necessitate BOTH main female characters - and actually just them - to be scantily clad. I think the game hits on those themes just fine even if you ignore the costumes, and I think them conversations about "we wanted boobs but the other guy wanted rear end so..." aren't as tongue-in-cheek as people pretend it is. I also think this leads to derails where no one is gonna change opinions on the topic, and the costumes really didn't bother me that much. It's just a quirk that I had to get over.

edit: add a short underneath 2B's skirt and you hit all them points still because it's okay to like goth loli fashion, really.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I feel like this is what got a lot of people to even get this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

This is all I'll say about the subject, because the reason WHY I don't wanna engage is exactly this "but you missed ~the themes~" conversation and nah, I really didn't.

What are the core themes and ideas of Nier: Automata, in your view?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

it kicks you back to the title screen like it did after the first ending you reached at that point, it doesn't do anything to your save aside from adding another ending letter (C or D) to it if you don't already have it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

2Butt or not 2Butt.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dias posted:

This is all I'll say about the subject, because the reason WHY I don't wanna engage is exactly this "but you missed ~the themes~" conversation and nah, I really didn't. I just think everything the game could have achieved doesn't necessitate BOTH main female characters - and actually just them - to be scantily clad. I think the game hits on those themes just fine even if you ignore the costumes, and I think them conversations about "we wanted boobs but the other guy wanted rear end so..." aren't as tongue-in-cheek as people pretend it is. I also think this leads to derails where no one is gonna change opinions on the topic, and the costumes really didn't bother me that much. It's just a quirk that I had to get over.

edit: add a short underneath 2B's skirt and you hit all them points still because it's okay to like goth loli fashion, really.

Wait do people really believe Taro is lying? He is a rather straightforward dude.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The butt is good for those who can either lol, move past, or enjoy it. I dig it but am also a pervert so w/e

Is bad for people who feel some odd reason that looking at a group of pixels arranged into an rear end is an affront to them. That's why the camera goes so low by default! That's why the camera is so low!

What about A2? She is literally skintight booty shorts with her gstring pulled high.

Which is also good

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Vermain posted:

that i miss gary busey

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lets hang out posted:

it kicks you back to the title screen like it did after the first ending you reached at that point, it doesn't do anything to your save aside from adding another ending letter (C or D) to it if you don't already have it.

Well, that's boring, but I guess it would be pretty rude if it did delete your save. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

The butt is good for those who can either lol, move past, or enjoy it. I dig it but am also a pervert so w/e

Is bad for people who feel some odd reason that looking at a group of pixels arranged into an rear end is an affront to them. That's why the camera goes so low by default! That's why the camera is so low!

What about A2? She is literally skintight booty shorts with her gstring pulled high.

Which is also good

For some odd reason, lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
beep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dias posted:

You can get 9S to take his pants off too,if that makes it any better?

Anyway, some route B stuff; So the factory is the junk heap from the first game, right? And that god that you see the cut-away to when you first go to the housing complex, was that beepy? Or does that get explained?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

To be fair I don't think A2 is wearing any clothes at all?
Or more specifically it seems like she's wearing a quarter of an burned apron and rest of the "clothes" are just painted/grafted on.

Nuebot posted:

You can get 9S to take his pants off too,if that makes it any better?

YOU CAN?!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I bought some of the more tedious trophies (gently caress fishing), but a platinum is a platinum, and ending E by painstakingly deleting the evidence of my experience for the purpose of helping someone else is just perfect. What a great game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlestheHammer posted:

For some odd reason, lol

Oh no an rear end! This is affecting myself as an adult! I suffer nothing from this but the simple thought THAT SOMEWHERE someone got a boner over it ahhh!No!Help!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Or more specifically it seems like she's wearing a quarter of an burned apron and rest of the "clothes" are just painted/grafted on.

YOU CAN?!

There is actually an achievement for that, to be fair.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I liked the designs of all the characters in the game. Especially Eve's half-tatted form.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, there ya go.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait do people really believe Taro is lying? He is a rather straightforward dude.

Yoko Taro is a clever, pretty sincere and kinda broken dude. I think that's how everyone should read him. Also Drakengard 3 did the sex thing better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jack Trades posted:

YOU CAN?!

2B's leggings do actually affect her model so yeah that seems accurate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Oh no an rear end! This is affecting myself as an adult! I suffer nothing from this but the simple thought THAT SOMEWHERE someone got a boner over it ahhh!No!Help!

Lol, my dude go outside

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

A2 literally wears painted on lingerie, but I'm not sure that it's worse than the other standard YoRHa fetish gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm not writing an essay on themes I just think it's a cool design, but seeing the human form doesn't make me uncomfortable. We are beautiful creatures designed by god of course.

But I also thought every Raiden design (MGS2 > MGS4 > MGR:R) got progressively cooler and cooler which is prob a much more goon-harmful opinion :frogbon: