Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

beep-beep car is go posted:

My Dad was a tree trimmer (with Asplundh, the orange guys) for 30 years before nerve damage of running a vibrating chainsaw 8 hours a day 5 days a week got to him, and he used the saw on a stick thing all the time. They handed them out in the 70s, It's a hydraulic saw with a 12" blade on the end. Faster, cleaner and safer (once you know how to use it) than the chainsaw on a stick that you see around now.

Yeah those are pretty great. This was literally a Stihl gas-powered weed whacker with a Mitre saw blade on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

beep-beep car is go posted:

My Dad was a tree trimmer (with Asplundh, the orange guys) for 30 years before nerve damage of running a vibrating chainsaw 8 hours a day 5 days a week got to him, and he used the saw on a stick thing all the time. They handed them out in the 70s, It's a hydraulic saw with a 12" blade on the end. Faster, cleaner and safer (once you know how to use it) than the chainsaw on a stick that you see around now.

Yeah, they call them "pole pruners" around here. I have an electric one, and it's tits for pruning my Apple trees and such. Don't need to even get on a ladder in an OSHA disapproved manner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I got the pruner attachment for my Ryobi line trimmer a few years ago and it's loving astonishing how good that tiny chainsaw is at cutting through poo poo.

With the expandable bit, I can cut through tree limbs 30cm thick a good 4m above me.

EDIT: unlike the stock image I found, you should probably put some bar oil in it before doing anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Somebody edit this with Vince thx.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rC42egLl5E
I realize Hydraulic Press Channel is easy mode for this thread but I really had to just stare in shocked silence when he got to the circular saw.
The second time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zedprime posted:

Sounding out a level or sounding his aggression?

Little bit of both. The level wasn't showing correctly in the control room and he thought there was a float cell inside the tank. Apparently, SOP for a stuck float cell is to beat it up a little bit.

Turns out that tank actually had a differential pressure cell instead :downs:

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Structural-grade saran wrap will revolutionize the industry.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Little bit of both. The level wasn't showing correctly in the control room and he thought there was a float cell inside the tank. Apparently, SOP for a stuck float cell is to beat it up a little bit.

Yeah, floats have a tendency to stick, which is why most boiler codes require two different low water cutoff switches of different types (one float, one probe, for instance).

I don't know what industry you're in, but some things carry over regardless.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neutrino posted:

Structural-grade saran wrap will revolutionize the industry.

If that's just plaster covering a beam, then the plastic wrap is fine. I imagine it'd hold it mostly together so it doesn't make a mess until someone can come in and fix it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would watch this sport.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Those are Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pod Racers

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The best part is the second guy zooming by in the background, meaning this isn't some one-off Vietnamese Billy Bob contraption that he thought of five seconds ago. This poo poo has organization.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Platystemon posted:

I would watch this sport.

You fucker, this is exactly what I thought when I saw this. What the gently caress is this contraption? It seems similar to the stand-up riding lawnmowers that all the lawn care companies use, but uhhh I doubt it's just some more dangerous rice field version.

Maybe some sort of tiller or aerator? I see what looks like a rotating blade on the bottom.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 22, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

MF_James posted:

You fucker, this is exactly what I thought when I saw this. What the gently caress is this contraption? It seems similar to the stand-up riding lawnmowers that all the lawn care companies use, but uhhh I doubt it's just some more dangerous rice field version.

Maybe some sort of tiller or aerator? I see what looks like a rotating blade on the bottom.

Yea I don't have the context for it, but I'm pretty sure it's for preparing a rice paddy.

Side note, do you guys know why rice is typically grown in water like this? It's not because the rice requires it, but because not much else will grow in the water. That means less weeding and higher yields.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MF_James posted:

Yeah it's a power tiller, a variation on the single axle two wheel tractors you see all over the third world.

They've got a bit of pick up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmcEDeouN4g

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, floats have a tendency to stick, which is why most boiler codes require two different low water cutoff switches of different types (one float, one probe, for instance).

I don't know what industry you're in, but some things carry over regardless.

chemical manufacturing

Good to know

this rules

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Turns out that tank actually had a differential pressure cell instead :downs:
dPs can plug with sediment or entrained vapor so hammering can still be indicated. Depending on the piping though it might be looked down on by instrumentation guys or safety guys or both if its lovely rear end tubing or something and not a big old line of pipe.

Most wet instruments have something that can go wrong that will be fixed by hammering. The only thing noone dared hammer was coriolis flow meters. Which is heartwarming in a way, because coriolis flow meters do their own hammering.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tumble posted:

Yea I don't have the context for it, but I'm pretty sure it's for preparing a rice paddy.

Side note, do you guys know why rice is typically grown in water like this? It's not because the rice requires it, but because not much else will grow in the water. That means less weeding and higher yields.

Yep, and then you can just throw some ducks in there to eat the water borne insects that can gently caress your rice up. Bonus fertiliser as well.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How water intensive is it growing Rice like that compared to "Dry" method?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmR4B4vr_nE

"Huh... it says we've got zero amps on phase C now..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJsWJzqz6A

Lift the ladle up and... whoopsiedaisy!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Here's the US version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQjRZ84nG4&t=30s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bring back motorcycle chariot racing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We already have this crazy sport:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Not gonna lie, that looks awesome.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Platystemon posted:

Is this real or a photoshop?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mds2 posted:

Is this real or a photoshop?

100% real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU5Uz-FYO0A

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

alright, who let a postmodernist chef into a chop shop?? fess up

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not osha, I just thought it was a cool machine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Imagine how horrifying that video must be to any trees watching it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Boogalo posted:

If you want a good read, this thread is a goon play by play of his house building process.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767040

not gonna lie, was hoping for groverhaus

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Say Nothing posted:

Totally hearing this song as I watch. The part starting at 1:15, if the time embed doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY&t=75s

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine how horrifying that video must be to any trees watching it.

As a resident tree-murderer I want to point that even if a tree falls in the forest nobody cares.

420 boil trees erryday.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

How water intensive is it growing Rice like that compared to "Dry" method?

Extremely. Only use this method if your main water-related problem is how to get rid of it all.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fx4-TT9Vng

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Sormus posted:

As a resident tree-murderer I want to point that even if a tree falls in the forest nobody cares.

420 boil trees erryday.

A log cannot be boiling. That is incorrect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Segmentation Fox posted:

A log cannot be boiling. That is incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a company called Musical Targets that makes tuned steel targets you can play on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up0_3Cm-VBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Would I be correct in assuming that's a BB gun? I've not fired a gun but I understand they're... quite loud.