Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I bought both Reaper kits when starting to get back into minis a few months ago. I didn't really know anything about the Bones range of minis, but they are really soft, cheap plastic. They arrived really warped and bent out of shape.

That said, the paints and brushes are good and you get a good selection of each. Still worth it and the Bones minis are fine for practice. Recommended!

Also, I primed them with Krylon white and they came out fine. I let them dry for 24 hours, though, so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

One very minor thing that annoys me about him is that he's Dunning-Krugering so loving hard. This is literally the most skilled painter I've ever seen work, but he seems to think that he's sloppy and mediocre. It's pretty intimidating for someone who really is sloppy and mediocre. :downs:

"Okay... if you want to make great looking, realistic model? Go learn from some other painter, yes? I want to paint models fast, to have fun with. If you want great looking, learn from someone else <nervous laughter>"

*proceeds to loving freehand pretty much photorealistic paint chipping and rust streaks in under five minutes while talking and gesticulating to audience*

Grimdark Spanish Bob Ross? Sign me up.

"And now we're gonna make some happy little pestigors."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
In the newest episode of the 40k Badcast, we have a segment on staying motivated while painting, which is a companion piece to our previous episode's segment on painting. Come for the painting advice, stay for the erotic Fulgrim fanfic:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/03/20/40k-badcast-06-the-erotic-adventures-of-coldgore-hack-canker/

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

I've only ever tried painting one Bones mini, and that was at a paint-and-take at PAX. The material seemed extremely hydrophobic, and thin coats were quite difficult to do.

Do Bones minis take primer from an airbrush fine?

The trick is that you don't thin your paints for the basecoat. So long as you've washed them to get rid of mold release, they'll generally take the paint fine.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Bones will paint like anything else once it's primed. You can go straight to a thick basecoat, but I never saw a reason not to just wash and prime them like for every other mini. Either way, once the first coat is on it's normal painting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Geisladisk posted:

One very minor thing that annoys me about him is that he's Dunning-Krugering so loving hard. This is literally the most skilled painter I've ever seen work, but he seems to think that he's sloppy and mediocre. It's pretty intimidating for someone who really is sloppy and mediocre. :downs:

"Okay... if you want to make great looking, realistic model? Go learn from some other painter, yes? I want to paint models fast, to have fun with. If you want great looking, learn from someone else <nervous laughter>"

*proceeds to loving freehand pretty much photorealistic paint chipping and rust streaks in under five minutes while talking and gesticulating to audience*

That's not Dunning Kruger, that's imposter syndrome, FWIW. Dunning Kruger is basically 'stupid/unskilled people don't realise that they're stupid/unskilled'. Imposter syndrome is 'clever/skilled people overemphasise their flaws and don't see how skilled they are.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

thespaceinvader posted:

That's not Dunning Kruger, that's imposter syndrome, FWIW. Dunning Kruger is basically 'stupid/unskilled people don't realise that they're stupid/unskilled'. Imposter syndrome is 'clever/skilled people overemphasise their flaws and don't see how skilled they are.

Wikipedia posted:

[Dunning and Kruger's] research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.

Having read the paper (I don't have access to it anymore unfortunately), I can confirm this. But then again, nerds on the internet just use the Dunning-Kruger effect to act superior to other people so...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Avenging Dentist posted:

Having read the paper (I don't have access to it anymore unfortunately), I can confirm this. But then again, nerds on the internet just use the Dunning-Kruger effect to act superior to other people so...

This is some Dumbing Cougar poo poo right here

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whats the game with a Dungbeetle Luger? I'm confused.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lethemonster posted:

Bones will paint like anything else once it's primed. You can go straight to a thick basecoat, but I never saw a reason not to just wash and prime them like for every other mini. Either way, once the first coat is on it's normal painting.

Yeah, I got a Bones dumpster, primed it, and it painted like anything else. I don't know why people have so many questions about Bones when all you have to do is prime it like anything else.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Just spit mouthfuls of paint at all your models and say they're inspired by Pollock

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Yeah, I got a Bones dumpster, primed it, and it painted like anything else. I don't know why people have so many questions about Bones when all you have to do is prime it like anything else.

Most of their line is made with an unusual kind of soft, tacky plastic and the box says you don't have to prime it so I get people being weird about it. The dumpster is one of the things made of their hard plastic.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the bright side, while their soft plastic leads to more bent parts you need to boil, they're also pretty resillient to damage as far as plastic miniatures go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HebrewMagic posted:

Just spit mouthfuls of paint at all your models and say they're inspired by Pollock

I recommend Spitadel brand saliva for your paint thinning needs

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I find that Bonesium takes really well to the polyurethane airbrush primers, like Vallejo Surface Primer or Badger Stynylrez.* The soft plastic ones need to be washed first, of course, but most of the ones I've painted took the primer okay without soap, after just boiling and ice-watering them to reshape bent parts.

* shout out to my phone's spellchecker for remembering how to spell that, jeez

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
At one point there was a Bones thread that listed what primers and paints worked on them. I don't know what happened to it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Over time it peeled away.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I've only had difficulty priming the translucent orange bones from kickstarter 2; the primer was gummy to the touch and did not adhere, so I've boiled and cleaned them and am hoping for a day with less humidity to prime them again. Other than that they've been great with brand name and discount primers, and have worked well with varnishes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The vast majority of the time I've had no issue priming Bones with Army Painter black. Only issue I've had is on a handful of models I primed and let sit for a few months before getting around to painting, some long-term reaction made the primer shiny and slightly tacky. Still took paint fine though.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I think their error was a rooted in a misinterpretation of the third sentence found on the wikipedia article: "Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others."

Thinking you're sloppy and mediocre comes with the territory of being competent in—or caring about—any artistic endeavour.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Over time it peeled away.

:haw:

I don't understand the Bones attraction, every painting thread seems to have 'So, how are you meant to actually work with this stuff'

Is it just because it's cheap?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yeast posted:

I don't understand the Bones attraction, every painting thread seems to have 'So, how are you meant to actually work with this stuff'

It's inexpensive, mostly good to great sculpts, and insanely huge and diverse product line.

Speaking of Bones, I want to do a Dark Souls mimic kit bash. Reaper has a great mimic but does anyone know a spindly, creepy body to stick it on? Body doesn't have to be Reaper.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yeast posted:

It's cheap, (supposed to be) easy to paint, doesn't require assembly (comes on a base, even), and doesn't chip as easily as metal models. Basically, geared towards being good "new characters/enemies for next week's RPG session" material.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

The vast majority of the time I've had no issue priming Bones with Army Painter black. Only issue I've had is on a handful of models I primed and let sit for a few months before getting around to painting, some long-term reaction made the primer shiny and slightly tacky. Still took paint fine though.

Reminds me of when I primed a couple of raging heroes models with AP Black primer. Looked fine and then the thing just started flaking off like crazy to the point I could just rub a finger over it and it would slough off without issue. Not sure if that was me not properly cleaning their funky resin or the primer being shonky.
Need to retry with Citadel Black primer at some point and see if it produces the same result or not. Which is annoying because the ones I bought are kind of massive pains to remove the release agents from.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HebrewMagic posted:

A post by someone that doesn't know anything about Pollock.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

Basically, depends on the primer you use. A lot of rattlecan primers have weak solvents in them that don't really do anything with hard plastic or pewter, but can react weirdly with the Bones plastic. The Army Painter ones are pretty much universally good with Bones, and at least one of the Rustoleum primers works well, but it's generally worth doing a test spray if you insist on priming them. Brush-on or airbrush primers pretty much never have issues, mind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Progress!

I touched up the fire some more, redid the banners and symbol, shaded, and started highlighting.

I also tried to do a thing on the spear tassle to look like it was dipped in blood.

I'm pretty satisfied with the look. I'm trying to get the tip glossy like it's still wet, but I just realized once I seal it I'll have to redo that effect with some brush on gloss laquer anyway.

My next step before I go back to highlighting is gonna be figuring out what I want to write on the banner.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Looks great. Your skin also looks excellent!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I haven't had primer problems with bones, but I have had an issue where my matt varnish was going through the future floor polish and several layers of paint to make the mini tacky, like people have had with some rattle cans. Solved it by switching to an artists matt resin as the top layer and not had a problem since.

There's just some particular additives in some varnishes and spraypaints that cause Bonesium to melt.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Is there a dece US friendly place for 28mm modern or futuristic accessories? Looking for some bags and/or little tech baubles.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Is there a dece US friendly place for 28mm modern or futuristic accessories? Looking for some bags and/or little tech baubles.

What materials are you comfortable with, and what is the application? Are you using this as scenery, on a base, or on the model itself?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

signalnoise posted:

What materials are you comfortable with, and what is the application? Are you using this as scenery, on a base, or on the model itself?

Any material is fine. These would be for Infinity miniatures and to identify certain units as paramedics or carrying the devices for expanding infowar range. Medic bags for the miniatures, tech baubles for the bases.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

mango sentinel posted:

Progress!

I touched up the fire some more, redid the banners and symbol, shaded, and started highlighting.

This turned out really well! As did the rest of the model, but the fire in particular.

Babbys first army painting update:

Neither models are finished yet, but the basic idea is there. I wanted the cooling unit on the broadside to be frosty, and I tried to convey depth in the windscreen of the devilfish. Also, the devilfish is modded with gundam parts.

I realized while painting the devilfish that I have to really pay more attention to mold lines and such. I am still trying to get better at thinning paints, and reeeeeealy want an airbrush for base coats now. I am trying to do with a brush what most do with air, because it feels like it will help me in the long run with details.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

. Also, the devilfish is modded with gundam parts.

I thought I recognized the Heavyarms shoulder lines. You did a pretty great job with the bashing and the painting :)

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
The first of my new shock army.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Tentacle Party posted:

Is rad.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Neurolimal posted:

I thought I recognized the Heavyarms shoulder lines. You did a pretty great job with the bashing and the painting :)

Thanks! I wish I could find the guns and wing zero's wings. :( I'm using heavy arm's leg missiles as missile pods for my Riptide. Still unsure if I want to go with leg mounts or just magnetize them.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Tentacle Party posted:

Yeah, I love this. Really pops.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Star Man posted:

A post by someone that doesn't know anything about Pollock.

dude's dead so I can misrepresent his work all I want in a random-rear end thread in the corner of the net about painting tiny plastic soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Not while wild art (history) majors lurk these hills, no sir.