Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

so you are a troll and should not be engaged? poo poo i lost
Up to you dude but if you don't get a little joy about a 50 year old bible thumper sharing a meme made of Mao quotes because it shits on liberals I don't know what to say

also its simply a matter of historical record that most of the Latin American insurgencies for instance read the 'Two books', though they generally favoured the local boy for obvious reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

I doubt they are getting piled up by competitors, they are just getting in the way and they need to go somewhere.

The system simply doesn't work. It treats any and everywhere as parking when they are common areas for everyone. The companies is externalising storage costs on to everyone and the broken bikes are left to rot as most companies don't bother doing any maintenance and just pump out more bikes as that start-up money allows. Straight up tragedy of the commons.

That's assuming they aren't just siphoning off the start-up money.
LOL, has "Abuse me" written all over it. I can't believe they expect people to use the bikes in good faith in China.

It's the other end of Uber who externalise all the costs to the driver who effectively take out a reverse mortgage on their car and any change in costs is also burdened on to the driver.

For every bike that gets rented they log six trips, go out to the provinces to collect venture money from factory running hicks, move as much of it as they can into Canada, etc

In a year or so people will be talking about the "bike scams" of 2017

raton fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 23, 2017

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeah, you better run egg (made from crushed shell, seaweed extract and a bouncy ball)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Can anyone tell me the gist of this article?

The spearfisher "big jim" is a mutual friend who just started getting a ton of asian followers but he can't tell if the article is negative or benign.

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20170308/880776.htm

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The bike share works pretty well in Chengdu, I haven't seen any of these problems here. The only problem is I think it's getting pedestrians to incompetently ride bikes more than it's getting people out of cars, and getting people out of cars should be a top five priority here because lol gently caress every single person who drives in China.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Can anyone tell me the gist of this article?

The spearfisher "big jim" is a mutual friend who just started getting a ton of asian followers but he can't tell if the article is negative or benign.

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20170308/880776.htm

It's pretty benign.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

The Great Autismo! posted:

what's even more infuriating than this is when you ask the person "why are you driving to work?" they say "its so convenient to drive the car" when in reality it is the exact opposite of convenient, it's a major pain in the rear end. but people have been told how convenient cars are for so long, and in usa they have cars and usa life is so convenient, do you know? so driving the car to work is convenient!

i tell people the first thing i did when i moved to chicago was i sold my car and they say "because the city is so expensive and you can't afford it?" and its like "no because driving in a city is loving terrible" and they look at you like "wat"

People sort of think this in Japan too but understand the pains of cars more. Outside of times when they actually need the car for like, taking their dog to the vet, their kids someplace, etc, lot of people will just drive their box Nissan in the countryside on the weekends because "driving is fun! I love driving!" At this point I always say "Driving is not fun for me. Where I'm from you have to drive everywhere. Before I moved to Japan I did enough driving to last me for the rest of my life."

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Dr.Radical posted:

People sort of think this in Japan too but understand the pains of cars more. Outside of times when they actually need the car for like, taking their dog to the vet, their kids someplace, etc, lot of people will just drive their box Nissan in the countryside on the weekends because "driving is fun! I love driving!" At this point I always say "Driving is not fun for me. Where I'm from you have to drive everywhere. Before I moved to Japan I did enough driving to last me for the rest of my life."

Weekend road trips through the Japanese countryside sounds amazing. Why do you hate fun?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I asked my boss to order me some lentils I had chosen on Taobao. She says they look interesting and seem to cook quickly, and wants to order her own bag. I tell her how to cook Western-style lentil soup, and then Indian dal because those packs of various curry cubes are everywhere here.
The next day she messages me that she cooked the lentils and I should come try. I get there and see them in a pot. There's way too much water, and I don't see any vegetables like mentioned. I scoop out a bowl and take a sip. So much sugar that it's practically dessert. My boss is a very good cook, but I guess old habits die hard.

I asked here where her husband's racist grandparents were, since usually they are parked in front of the TV and scowling. She said they will be going home after their trip.

Me: "Where did they go?"
Her: "My husband bought them a tour trip. They went to Thailand!"
Me: "Wow. Have they ever gone abroad before?"
Her: "No, the most away they went from China is to Hong Kong."
Me: "Holy poo poo. That must be really surprising for them. Where are they going in Thailand?"
Her: "Just Bangkok and Pattaya."
Me: LMAO
Her: "Why?"
Me: "Why Pattaya? Why would the tour go there and not Chiang Mai or one of the islands?"
Her: "I don't know, Chinese love Pattaya."
Me: There are a lot of prostitutes there. Many people go just for that reason. It's why it became famous."
Her: "What?! Why prostitutes? They will see that?"
Me: "Chinese are big customers for the prostitutes there, maybe that's why Chinese love Pattaya."
Her: "OMG. They said the men all went out at night in a group and didn't bring their wives!!"
Me: "NOW THEY HAVE AIDS!"
Her: "OMG!!!"

We talked more about it. It must be pretty weird to be a sponge of propaganda and then your first time going out into the world is past age 80. They weren't the type where it was a dream of theirs to go abroad and see the sights, as their son has been making bank for a few decades now and could have gone ages ago. They just had no interest as they they thought China was the best country in the world and everywhere else was living in squalor and didn't know how to cook. They have been born and raised Party supporters and knew in their hearts that China was the best.
Usually those kinds of people just whine and complain about how everything is different and not as good as back home, so it will be interesting to hear their opinions once they get back and call.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If they're anything like 90% of Britons it will just be whining about how the food was different and the language was different and this and that wasn't exactly like ol' blighty and they'll have learned absolutely nothing, no horizons expanded.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
e: nvm

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what is the book on the great leap forward y'all were reading

maos great famine

i think its been mentioned by name 3-4 times lol

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
it looks like gently caress KOREA mode is still going strong

quote:

This month, the Century Star Elementary School in Yali township, part of Hebei province, organised a rally attended by about 400 students and staff. In a video posted online, students no older than 12 pledged to boycott South Korean products and “resist” the deployment of a US-operated Terminal High Altitude Area Defence system, or Thaad.

At the rally, a school teacher painted a grim picture of the potential consequences of the Thaad deployment. “South Korea is our neighbour,” the teacher said. “In the event of war, the US will turn China into a slaughterhouse. For China, [Thaad] is a fatal threat.”

The teacher urged the students to boycott South Korean trips, television programmes, cosmetics and any products sold by Lotte, the South Korean retailer whose parent company relinquished some of the land needed for Thaad’s deployment.

“Students, can we do this?” the teacher asks. “Can! Can! Can!” the students reply.

China counters that the Thaad deployment could alter the regional balance of power. Analysts believe Beijing ultimately fears the anti-missile system could be the basis of a future trilateral defence alliance uniting the US, South Korea and Japan.

Such complex arguments may be beyond the comprehension of most seven-year-olds but the principal of Century Star Elementary School believes he did the right thing in organising the rally. “Patriotic education should start when children are young,” Xing Xiaofeng told the Financial Times. “The students’ parents support me.”

Qiao Mu, professor at Beijing University of Foreign Languages, said such rallies could backfire. “Schools should not organise activities to agitate students,” he said. “What are they going to tell those children if Sino-South Korean relations improve?”

i enjoy the professor at the end, speculating whether rally organizers have considered more than 8 minutes into the future and the consequences of brainwashing children.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
"We've never not always entirely completely been at war with Korea."

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Korea, Japan and the US already have a trilateral defence alliance in all but name and has been for decades via US. Sure they don't run war games with each other but if it went hot on Korea the Japanese would be called in by the US to conduct home water patrols to restrict movement/screen CBGs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

what's even more infuriating than this is when you ask the person "why are you driving to work?" they say "its so convenient to drive the car" when in reality it is the exact opposite of convenient, it's a major pain in the rear end. but people have been told how convenient cars are for so long, and in usa they have cars and usa life is so convenient, do you know? so driving the car to work is convenient!

i tell people the first thing i did when i moved to chicago was i sold my car and they say "because the city is so expensive and you can't afford it?" and its like "no because driving in a city is loving terrible" and they look at you like "wat"

This is another 'I really can't believe people over there are so unable to logically. It must be a very vocal minority' thing because I can't believe theres a significant amount Chinese society that would think like this.

I'm trying to come up with a western corollary. 'I'm miserable so I'll drink and be happy, being an alcoholic isn't loving up my life' or 'I'm poor and my life sucks because society sucks so I'll vote for Trump who will make it better'. Maybe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Having a car demonstrates you are rich. Not having one is for poors. Suffering is irrelevant.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Haier posted:

Usually those kinds of people just whine and complain about how everything is different and not as good as back home, so it will be interesting to hear their opinions once they get back and call.
Here, I'll save you the wait: https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2013/dec/22/chinese-tourism-changing-the-world

The Article posted:

"She is sporting a beehive hairstyle she has had done specially "to last for the whole trip" to avoid having to visit a foreign salon."
. . .
"Also, the local food smells bad and the flavour is wrong. It's not suitable for Chinese people,"
All that's missing is complaining about how they don't make a decent cuppa like back home. As I said back in one of the other China.jpg threads, certain Chinese tourists have teched up from 'idiot hillbilly' to 'insufferable Englishman'.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

big time bisexual posted:

Weekend road trips through the Japanese countryside sounds amazing. Why do you hate fun?

Having done it a few times....yeah its fun.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Grand Fromage posted:

Having a car demonstrates you are rich. Not having one is for poors. Suffering is irrelevant.

'I'm rich enough to be able to afford a taxi everywhere. What kind of a poverty stricken imbécil operates their own car?'

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The other expats I know who have been out here for a long time all yearn for the days of the loud Americans. The way I heard it described is that Americans, though often unintentionally rude and uncultured were often just happy to be alive and wanted to share that with everyone in the room.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

big time bisexual posted:

I'd rather take a train where I can have a few beers, eat some food, not have to pay attention to gas/other cars/elderly drivers

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

In one of my never-ending delirious half-sleeps I've been having (I am still sick, somehow), it somehow popped into my head that Scientology and modern Chinese culture (and government) are very similar.

Both have a set of levels that one must attain to or else they can't properly show their true potential.
Both require a large amount of money to reach each level and milestone, and if you don't have this money then tough luck, you're not a whole person.
Both seek to dig up personal dirt and info on each member and then black mail them if they try to escape.
Both celebrate tattle-telling, spying, and suspiciously watching your neighbor.
Both have a system where people can get locked up for no crime at all and stay in a limbo camp forever, or killed.
Both don't believe in modern medicine, and that all mental problems are just made up because you're too much of pussy to handle life (and maybe just get more money and raise your level to solve everything).
Both work on a foundation of lies and public Face, where nothing said matches what is done, and speaking out otherwise is an extreme act of harm that can never be made up for.
Both have a policy of "Fair Game" on dissenters or those reject their bubble society, and will kidnap you no matter where you go.
Both have preset answers that the people must give when asked certain questions, regardless of how they feel.
Both force the people to learn and accept unlimited propaganda that only matches their worldview.
Both had a series of total retards create their philosophical ideas, strict systems, and lovely policies of control.
Both have leaders at the top that do whatever they want and don't believe anything they preach.
Both require you to confess for your sins, crimes, and poor decisions.

Anything else?

Tupperwarez posted:

Here, I'll save you the wait: https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2013/dec/22/chinese-tourism-changing-the-world

All that's missing is complaining about how they don't make a decent cuppa like back home. As I said back in one of the other China.jpg threads, certain Chinese tourists have teched up from 'idiot hillbilly' to 'insufferable Englishman'.

quote:

Reports abound that Chinese tourists are loud and rude, or that they refuse to queue or give tips. Other complaints range from the practical to the surreal. In July, residents of the small Swiss city of Lucerne protested that up to 120 Chinese tour buses a day were paralysing local traffic, as they deposited tourists who wanted to buy luxury watches. Then there were bizarre reports, picked up by the Chinese media, of competing Chinese honeymooners brawling in French lavender fields over the best spot for photos to capture a "Monet moment". A group travelling to North Korea drew scorn for throwing sweets to children as though they were "feeding ducks", while a number of Chinese tourists in the Maldives were reportedly caught giving fake marriage papers to upmarket resorts in order to get free dinners offered to newlyweds.
Haha...aaahahahahahahaahaha

Haier fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 23, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

'I'm rich enough to be able to afford a taxi everywhere. What kind of a poverty stricken imbécil operates their own car?'

taxis in china are cheap af

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im also really sick today so i am hoping to get some opinions on if my logic perception is hosed up, or if these 3 statements from the school teacher genuinely dont make sense to anyone other than a chinese person who takes all random statements of emotion as fact rather than trying to prove a point through arguments

1:“South Korea is our neighbour.”
2:“In the event of war, the US will turn China into a slaughterhouse."
3:"For China, [Thaad] is a fatal threat.”

These all came sequentially, no language was clipped out.
-What does #1 have to do with #2?
-Does either #1 or #2 support #3 at all?

The only way the above statements fit together for me is if THAAD is some type of Stargate teleportation device that bloodthirsty Americans can use, and that placing it adjacent to China allows these American savages to easily warp in and invade China and kill everyone.

What am I missing?

Edit: Or is #2 blaming the enabler rather than the perpetrator? Like I sell a skeleton key to a guy, and that guy uses it to get into your house and murders your family, then I'm the one that turned your house into a crime scene?

LentThem fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 23, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

LentThem posted:

The only way the above statements fit together for me is if THAAD is some type of Stargate teleportation device that bloodthirsty Americans can use, and that placing it adjacent to China allows these American savages to easily warp in and invade China and kill everyone.

What am I missing?
Reverse that, and we could have a new DOOM game.

"Space Marine, the Chinese are warping into our reality and spitting on everything and tearing all of the garden plants. It is your duty to clean up this hive of scum."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't see the chain of logic either and also lol at the honest admission/self-own of saying in a war the US will slaughter China.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My girlfriend just called.

Her: How do I say I wrote the JD?
Me: What's a JD?
Her: How do I say I wrote it?
Me: I don't know what A JD is.
Her: Every HR in China knows what a JD is.
Me: How wonderful for them.
Her: How do I say I wrote it?
Me: I don't know what you are talking about.
Her: How do I say I wrote the JD!
Me: I wrote the JD?
Her: NO!
Me: 我写了JD?
Her: You are too lazy!

and then she hung up.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
JD like Jedi? Use the force, Harry.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
A) Why does she say rode like wrote?

B) JD is Jumbo Dick.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The lollest part is that everything in that statement has been true for decades and Thaad doesn't change anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also have no idea what a JD is other than the shopping site. Is it a kind of law degree too? That sounds familiar but I have no idea what wrote would mean in that context.

THAAD is only useful against missiles in their terminal phase so unless China is planning to attack South Korea with medium range missiles it changes literally nothing. It can't attack anything, it's just defensive and SK has a pretty drat good reason to be worried that a neighbor might flip their poo poo and start lobbing medium range missiles at them.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Turns out it means job descriptions. She is writing a resume and wanted to put that she wrote job descriptions for her company, I was going to ask why she is putting that on a resume but I figured it was best to avoid an argument.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What do the chinese call THAAD?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

THAAD is only useful against missiles in their terminal phase so unless China is planning to attack South Korea with medium range missiles it changes literally nothing. It can't attack anything, it's just defensive and SK has a pretty drat good reason to be worried that a neighbor might flip their poo poo and start lobbing medium range missiles at them.
China and NK have been going "Nice trade partner you have there, would be a shame if something happened to it." And now they're upset that the trade partner is getting a bodyguard because it weakens their bargaining position.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't see how it actually changes anything. North Korea attacking South Korea in any force means Seoul likely gets wrecked and North Korea's utter annihilation, which everyone is aware of and has been the status quo for a while. They can get away with the border skirmishing they've been doing for decades but that doesn't matter anyway. China doesn't give a gently caress about or like North Korea at all they just don't want the refugee crisis or another American ally on the border.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

Reverse that, and we could have a new DOOM game.

"Space Marine, the Chinese are warping into our reality and spitting on everything and tearing all of the garden plants. It is your duty to clean up this hive of scum."

since you got into video games or whatever this reminds me, get the new doom game it's really good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

and i said "but why not go to south africa or australia, why USA?" and he was like "why would i go to australia" and i just had to stop the conversation

As an Australian I can understand his reasoning.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Just lol if your driver doesn't pick you up in the Rolls

• Locked thread