Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
4 hours till football :siren: :siren: :siren:

Work needs to gently caress off already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Breust re-signed til 2021 :D

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

2017 AFL WOMEN’S ALL AUSTRALIAN SQUAD (40 players)

Adelaide
Erin Phillips
Chelsea Randall
Ebony Marinoff
Courtney Cramey
Sarah Perkins

Brisbane
Sabrina Frederick-Traub
Emily Bates
Kaitlyn Ashmore
Tayla Harris
Emma Zielke
Jess Wuetschner
Kate McCarthy
Leah Kaslar
Sam Virgo

Carlton
Brianna Davey
Darcy Vescio
Alison Downie
Danielle Hardiman

Collingwood
Emma King
Nicola Stevens
Alicia Eva
Sarah D'Arcy
Jess Cameron

Fremantle
Kara Donnellan
Ebony Antonio
Kirby Bentley
Dana Hooker

GWS Giants
Jess Dal Pos
Erin McKinnon
Emma Swanson
Renee Tomkins

Melbourne
Karen Paxman
Elise O'Dea
Daisy Pearce
Mel Hickey
Lily Mithen
Jasmine Grierson

Western Bulldogs
Ellie Blackburn
Emma Kearney
Hannah Scott

Rhiannon Metcalfe a bit stiff to miss out, I thought she was the second best ruck in the league after Emma King at Collingwood, looks like they just picked the two with the highest total hitouts, even though Erin MccKinnon at GWS really did nothing more than be taller than everyone else, kind of like Sandilands before he learned how important and easy it was to take and hold marks 15 feet in the air.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
GWS
Swans
Crows
Eagles
Dogs
Cats
Saints
Dees
--------------
Hawks
Pies
Port
Tigers
Freo
Suns
Dons
North
Blues
Lions

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I might do a tally of ladder predictions during tomorrow nights game, just a simple 1st = 1 point, Carlton = 18 points , sort by fewest points total thing

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

The Bombers haven't played competitive footy together in a year (you could make the argument it's been at least 2). They need time to gel and it's gonna cost em games.

This is why I can't fathom people thinking we will return to finals this year. First half of the season we will have to deal with a team gelling together to play with each other and a new coach and new style. Woosha said last year he purposefully didn't even really try to start imposing the style he wanted them to play given the circumstances. So it's all going to be really new. Second half of the year you'd hope they would be more settled with each other and the plan, but with kids and a bunch of players returning from a year off match fitness will get us. So I think we will still struggle overall but hopefully show some nice patches and glimpses of where it could go once things return to normality. People say the drug saga is behind us and this is the first year we are playing without it effecting us since 2011 (if you consider that 2012 it was affecting us because it was going on behind closed doors then). But I still think this year will be one you could count as disrupted and unorthodox because of how many returning players there are. 2018 for me will be the first "normal" year since 2011 for us.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The people saying Essendon will play finals are almost certainly the people who believe James Did Nothing Wrong

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In depth analysis of tonight's game:

Judging by the people in the city wearing footy clothes, there are far more attractive Richmond fans than Carlton fans therefore Richmond will win tonight. Give me David King's job.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
You'd have to talk to Robbo once a week though?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

The people saying Essendon will play finals are almost certainly the people who believe James Did Nothing Wrong

I've actually heard it more from non-Essendon supporters. There were also a lot of non-Essendon supporters last year who seemed to think that because we were getting superstars like Kelly, Ballantyne and Jamar that we would be a surprise finals contender. I'll be the first to admit that as much as I love footy, there are people who know so much more about it than I do. But it blows my mind the way some people must see the game.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

thepokey posted:

I've actually heard it more from non-Essendon supporters. There were also a lot of non-Essendon supporters last year who seemed to think that because we were getting superstars like Kelly, Ballantyne and Jamar that we would be a surprise finals contender. I'll be the first to admit that as much as I love footy, there are people who know so much more about it than I do. But it blows my mind the way some people must see the game.

Zach Merrett thinks you can win the flag.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

Ah, in that case maybe it's the "KICK IT! KICK IT! KICK IT!!! WHO WAS THAT TO YOU USELESS PRICK, HOLD ONTO IT FOR GODSSAKE" crowd that manage to be sat right behind your eardrum no matter where your seat is.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

glasnost toyboy posted:

Zach Merrett thinks you can win the flag.

Zach Merrett is literally 3 years old

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah, in that case maybe it's the "KICK IT! KICK IT! KICK IT!!! WHO WAS THAT TO YOU USELESS PRICK, HOLD ONTO IT FOR GODSSAKE" crowd that manage to be sat right behind your eardrum no matter where your seat is.

That, plus they idolise Stephen Rowe and the 5AA match call, though less swearing because they're elderly ladies.

Any other time, I get the loudest and most obnoxious opposition supporter in the game, who simultaneously is totally unable to take any top banter back.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

thepokey posted:

In depth analysis of tonight's game:

Judging by the people in the city wearing footy clothes, there are far more attractive Richmond fans than Carlton fans therefore Richmond will win tonight. Give me David King's job.

i am using similar logic for tayla harris and kaitlyn ashmore which is why i am going for brisbane to win the AFLW grand final

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

thepokey posted:

i think the other thing to is that every player needs to play a role on the field, and not every one gets to play the superstar even though they may actually end up being pretty good at it once they get the opportunity. so in the instance of essendon they had guys brought in to play a highly visible role who maybe wouldnt have earned it otherwise and although they may have acquitted themselves reasonably well, its a bit of a false indicator because the pecking order at the club has been shuffled around all again.

merrett had a great year, but would he have had hit the same heights if heppell and watson were on the park? he would have been good for sure, but certainly wouldnt have had the same level of opportunity and responsibility put on his shoulders with those other two there.

i think its reasonable to expect that they will come back without a lot of team synergy across the middle and backline, and backlines in particular take a long time to gel together. regardless how it has happened, the sheer destabilisation to the side says they won't be making finals.

freo are the really interesting team this year, they are such an unknown quantity and could really throw up some wildcards

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
beep beep boop computer says

ADE 16.3
SYD 16.0
GWS 15.0
GEE 14.8
WCE 14.2
WBD 13.0
HAW 12.8
NME 12.6
PAD 11.9
COL 10.8
MEL 10.2
STK 9.1
RIC 8.4
CAR 8.1
FRE 8.1
GCO 7.4
ESS 4.8
BRL 4.4

Myself, I don't the gently caress know.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Teams are out! http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think people who say stuff like that have never spent time at an actual footy club and think you can just slot people in and out like they're chess pieces.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I do hope Carlton win tonight just so the melts can begin one day into the season

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

i think the other thing to is that every player needs to play a role on the field, and not every one gets to play the superstar even though they may actually end up being pretty good at it once they get the opportunity. so in the instance of essendon they had guys brought in to play a highly visible role who maybe wouldnt have earned it otherwise and although they may have acquitted themselves reasonably well, its a bit of a false indicator because the pecking order at the club has been shuffled around all again.

merrett had a great year, but would he have had hit the same heights if heppell and watson were on the park? he would have been good for sure, but certainly wouldnt have had the same level of opportunity and responsibility put on his shoulders with those other two there.

i think its reasonable to expect that they will come back without a lot of team synergy across the middle and backline, and backlines in particular take a long time to gel together. regardless how it has happened, the sheer destabilisation to the side says they won't be making finals.

freo are the really interesting team this year, they are such an unknown quantity and could really throw up some wildcards

Agreed. But not just that, I mean, possibly I could see people's point if we were recruiting players like Kelly and Ballantyne when they were in their prime but we were picking up basically retirees. Not that Kelly wasn't good and Matt Dea turned out good too. But it was bizarre hearing people last year think Essendon were being "handed a finals berth" as if we were given Dangerfield, Franklin and Goldstein or something.

Our backline is going to be a worry this year. It just seems slow to me and smaller quicker forwards will carve us up at times so I think you're right with that taking more time to gel but even when it does I think it'll be lacking.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Why isn't Dom Tyson playing for the Dees this week?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A bunch of the players with the funny names in the Bye team have actually been selected to play round 1 :psyboom:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

the dees would rather pick a former cat B rookie in joel smith (good size and athleticism but rough skills) and a gws castoff we picked up in the off season instead.

but actually josh mahoney said that tyson and kent both need more match fitness because they both had interrupted pre-seasons

also we are destined to lose to st kilda regardless so this week is as good as any to kick off player management

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

2015 Bombers weren't great.
2016 Bombers weren't great, although putting some legs into the kids certainly wouldn't have hurt - the year off for the lab rats probably won't have hurt either (at least no injuries) but they're still gonna be a year older.

I think the 2017 Bombers will be a bit better but they're looking at best a 8-10 win team, because they'd in the queue behind teams like St Kilda and Melbourne (maybe even Carlton or Port) that seem to have started to gel last year and could bolt in.

Because Adelaide kind of bungled their centre rebuild I think they'll slip a bit, but on balance they should still make the finals.

Similar dealy with Hawthorn, although I do rate Tom Mitchell, but the simple fact we've lost Sam, no matter how old he was getting, means there's going to have to be a different approach, because he was just so reliable. But having Roughy back is going to be good for us.

Having said that, from the middling teams I mentioned, only 1-2 of them would have to improve by 3-4 goals into the top half and you're looking at teams like Adelaide, Hawthorn, Geelong suddenly looking a bit vulnerable if they get on the skids early.

The two Sydney teams ought to finish Top 4. Don't know how the Doggies will go, actually, they'll either be confident as gently caress and play like it, or they could do the hangover thing. I hope they don't, they played a lot of fun footy last year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Hume, can your computer easily figure out how many teams drop out of the 8 on average each year?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It'd be nice if this was a Friday Night game, then I'd be able to go.

Thursday footy is bad footy.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the Carlton membership site said my international membership package got sent a month ago and should be there in "10-14 working days"...A MONTH AGO.

yeah, yeah, international shipping and all, but still, I want my hat!

(also I've got beer and had a few margaritas watching the World Baseball Classic final while playing NFL Blitz at a barcade in downtown St Louis. let's do this.)

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
No hovercraft :(

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

2015 Bombers weren't great.
2016 Bombers weren't great, although putting some legs into the kids certainly wouldn't have hurt - the year off for the lab rats probably won't have hurt either (at least no injuries) but they're still gonna be a year older.

I think the 2017 Bombers will be a bit better but they're looking at best a 8-10 win team, because they'd in the queue behind teams like St Kilda and Melbourne (maybe even Carlton or Port) that seem to have started to gel last year and could bolt in.

Because Adelaide kind of bungled their centre rebuild I think they'll slip a bit, but on balance they should still make the finals.

Similar dealy with Hawthorn, although I do rate Tom Mitchell, but the simple fact we've lost Sam, no matter how old he was getting, means there's going to have to be a different approach, because he was just so reliable. But having Roughy back is going to be good for us.

Having said that, from the middling teams I mentioned, only 1-2 of them would have to improve by 3-4 goals into the top half and you're looking at teams like Adelaide, Hawthorn, Geelong suddenly looking a bit vulnerable if they get on the skids early.

The two Sydney teams ought to finish Top 4. Don't know how the Doggies will go, actually, they'll either be confident as gently caress and play like it, or they could do the hangover thing. I hope they don't, they played a lot of fun footy last year.

i think adelaides forward line and back line is enough to keep them in top 4 contention but theyre a bit like geelong, their best is good enough to get them there, but not good enough to do any damage once theyre there

i also think hawks 6 wins by a kick papered over a lot of cracks last year

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Abolish the bounce!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

He had a really poo poo JLT so needs to actually prove some form in the midfield since that's one spot we're decently deep now

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh my god the idiocy over Nankervis is going to be unbearably

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Kicks a 5m pass. Mark. Ball bounces on the ground. Mark. loving umpball already.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

Hume, can your computer easily figure out how many teams drop out of the 8 on average each year?
I could work it out with a few minute's work, sure. But watching footy at the mo'. You might have to remind me.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

richmond for the flag imo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

WatchAFL, at least overseas, is working great. HD quality and very little interruptions.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good minute for Gibbs!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Advertising in the goal squares now? Awesome...

(I know AFLW had it but I assumed it was because they only had the one sponsor and it is cheaper than painting on the wings and removing after the game, how wrong was I)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Advertising in the goal squares now? Awesome...

(I know AFLW had it but I assumed it was because they only had the one sponsor and it is cheaper than painting on the wings and removing after the game, how wrong was I)

Yeah, it looks like poo poo and needs to gently caress off.

• Locked thread