Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Clarste posted:

I like the idea of being able to automate fleets with simple tasks like "protect this area" or "keep invading enemy planets". That seems fundamentally similar to the Sector system, and a good way to prevent the need for constant micromanagement while still allowing you to take direct control and presumably do things better than the AI would. Maybe they could be tied to new technologies so you don't just automate everything from the beginning.

Yeah these are good ideas tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not super fond of researching techs that let me stop playing the game.

I would prefer a more organic solution like limiting war fronts a bit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What gives me hope is that although wiz obviously isn't going to specifically implement any of our dumb ideas, he's on the same page when it comes to agreeing that a lot of the systems in the game aren't quite working out. 3 travel modes sounds good on paper but it's implementation isn't really adding much to the game, if anything it's detracted. Troop management is a pain and attachment management in unbelievably shockingly bad. Wars tend to be a lot of ships just zooming all over with no real sense of fronts or "terrain". These are all things Wiz (and team!!) have said they don't like and want to do something about. I don't care if he makes things better by gutting whole systems and replacing them with something radically different that makes even me step back and say "woah that's a severe change", or finds the one weird trick to make the currently implemented "feature meta" suddenly work nice and be a joy to manage. But either way there's a lot of work to be done and I'm really curious how it's going to pan out and what direction they're going to take. They probably already have a lot of it planned for the next DLC anyways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's obvious room for improvement but I think the game is pretty good as stands and the smaller scale elements are pretty key to my enjoyment of it. I bought it precisely because it doesn't look like what I assume a paradox mapgame to be, none of those have interested me at all. I like it because it's a pretty good 4x and I would prefer to see it developed more in that area but ideally not towards either MOO or other paradox mapgames.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Bholder posted:

I don't think removing what little strategic choices we have already is a good idea

that's literally the opposite of what "strategic" means

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I like the intra-system movement and variation in FTL models.

Hyperdrive only is my preferred way to start, because it creates space terrain, with strategic chokepoints. But then it's so much fun to tech up to jump drives mid-game and start clowning the gently caress out of my rivals with my jump-capable war fleet, using dog-leg jumps to choose where I enter the system so I can emerge right next to the target so the enemy fleet can't escape.

I also like how it changes my fleet basing priorities: when using hyperdrive the fleet base/rally point is whichever system is the fewest lane jumps from the primary threat, but with jump drives it changes to whichever system has a spaceport closest to the FTL radius.

Sure, I play most of the game from the galaxy map, but the game would be severely lacking in character if that's the only view you could play from.

PS if you hate planets, use sector AI or this mod

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For planet tiles I quite like what Alphamod does with adding some non-removable blockers and also adding adjacency modifiers to most blockers, actually gives you a choice what to do with tiles, more buildings, or more output per building, as well as getting you to plan layout a bit more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GunnerJ posted:

If we're gonna do radical Hot Takes on how Stellaris needs to be changed: get rid of ship power. I can kinda see why people don't like the ship designer even though they're wrong because of the pure unrewarding tedium that managing ship power adds. Juggling power requirements and ship parts means you can't reliably automate straight upgrades from L1 to L2 lasers or whatever if your power tech can't handle it, which in theory makes for an interesting logistics choice but in practice results in a lot of busywork. If power plant modules were just straight boosts to ship speed or damage or whatever without being a requirement, there'd still be an interesting tradeoff between defense and offence in choosing power plants over shield or armor.

This would be kinda nice. Or just give a ship one dedicated reactor core that can still upgrade with technology if you want, but have it be a separate thing from the shield/armor slots.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

PittTheElder posted:

This would be kinda nice. Or just give a ship one dedicated reactor core that can still upgrade with technology if you want, but have it be a separate thing from the shield/armor slots.

As you might expect, there's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776095610

Oddly enough, it doesn't change as much as you'd expect-the extra shield or armour pieces you can put on don't(to me) change that much.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On another note, I'm not sure how much slavery is really worth it in the end. It's only a +10% bonus most of the time because you'll probably have to pass regulation, and while that's nice, I'm not sure it's worth the headache with regard to the nightmare of trying to integrate anyone who isn't collectivist or just generally pissing off individualist factions and giving one of the Fallen Empires a reason to attack you. Funnily enough, if one of your native pops diverges away from collectivism and starts getting pissy about their place in life, the best thing to do about it is usually to keep them in chains to avoid the huge happiness hit from being previously enslaved and their general discontent with the way things are run.

I thought Decadent was pretty much a freebie for a collectivist nation, but it turns out being bound to slavery can put you in some uncomfortable positions.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bloodly posted:

As you might expect, there's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776095610

Oddly enough, it doesn't change as much as you'd expect-the extra shield or armour pieces you can put on don't(to me) change that much.

I'd say it makes a fair bit of difference. By the time you're halfway up the tech tree you can run maxed-out weapons on your warships and still have enough juice to give them shield capacitors and enough shield points to match the hull. After knocking over the enigmatic fortress and researching all its tech my battleships have 2400 hull points, 3600 shields, double shield capacitors, and 82% armour.

The AI uses these plants too, but pre-made ships (crystals, space amoebas, mining drones, fallen empire fleets) don't.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Voyager I posted:

On another note, I'm not sure how much slavery is really worth it in the end. It's only a +10% bonus most of the time because you'll probably have to pass regulation, and while that's nice, I'm not sure it's worth the headache with regard to the nightmare of trying to integrate anyone who isn't collectivist or just generally pissing off individualist factions and giving one of the Fallen Empires a reason to attack you. Funnily enough, if one of your native pops diverges away from collectivism and starts getting pissy about their place in life, the best thing to do about it is usually to keep them in chains to avoid the huge happiness hit from being previously enslaved and their general discontent with the way things are run.

I thought Decadent was pretty much a freebie for a collectivist nation, but it turns out being bound to slavery can put you in some uncomfortable positions.

I mean you are sort of right, but like this whole system is changing in like 2 weeks and it looks like you can invest in a large ground military across your empire to prevent rebellions so then you just need to deal with dudes trying to invade you.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

People want to abstract the surface combat onto just rolling up with spaceships. They want to abstract the spaceship movement to be only between mapgame provinces where each one is a system. They want the surface construction taken out as it is unecessary. They want ship design removed and simplified as ship classes.

Like I can understand some of it, but once you've done all this what game is even left? A phone puzzle game of 'spend 2 minerals to gain this +3 mineral system'?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
We're not going to tear out half the game to satisfy the wishes of one Something Awful poster, relax.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

We're not going to tear out half the game to satisfy the wishes of one Something Awful poster, relax.

What if another one joins in?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

What if YOU were that Something Awful poster though?

Makes you think.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wiz posted:

But Wiz, according to your retelling of this game's development

you already have :tinfoil:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

Shhh, you'll spoil the illusion that this thread matters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This thread totally matters though, watch this:

Wiz posted:

That's a great idea actually. Will do.

In before goons trying to steal our game like they stole eve online.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
what if the goon was inside us... all this time?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

Gross

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Phobophilia posted:

You have confused a goon with a skeleton, which is a joyous thing and longs to be free.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol if your skeleton hasnt been distorted and crushed by your 400 pounds of body weight

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Unique Systems Spawn 100%

All the special systems/content spawns every game - this includes guardians (drake. horror, fortress, etc), all the enclaves, and some other unique systems such as Sanctuary (abandoned ringworld with a bunch of primitives on it and an active and very hostile defense system).

Note that if you don't have Leviathans DLC they won't show up.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GotLag posted:

Unique Systems Spawn 100%

All the special systems/content spawns every game - this includes guardians (drake. horror, fortress, etc), all the enclaves, and some other unique systems such as Sanctuary (abandoned ringworld with a bunch of primitives on it and an active and very hostile defense system).

Note that if you don't have Leviathans DLC they won't show up.
Heh, I'd like to see it on a tiny map.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wiz posted:

Your game is really good! HOWEVER there is a major problem. You still haven't added Trappist-1. :colbert:

e: Correction, I am dumb!

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/834763517194534913

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 23, 2017

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Strategic Tea posted:

Like I can understand some of it, but once you've done all this what game is even left? A phone puzzle game of 'spend 2 minerals to gain this +3 mineral system'?

Empire management!

Stellaris always excited me because it was a Paradox 4X game. Politics, diplomacy, borders, factions, edicts, migration, I love all that poo poo. I love the big picture, big scale stuff.

Jumping from that to managing your little fleets or (my other pet hate) tile management I find super frustrating. It's like the two ends of the scale are too far apart.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I think it would be cool if we had more science fictiony technologies like cloaking or growing organic ships etc etc. More diversity!!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Tile management, you say?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

I've not actually used this yet myself. My style is to colonise, build up at least the basic version of what I want in each tile, then hand it off to a 75% export sector that is not allowed to redevelop.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why are people still yammering on about nothing when there is a new dev diary to read? Guess as we get closer to the release of the expansion they're running out of things to talk about but I'm sure at least one of you will be happy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GotLag posted:

Tile management, you say?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

I've not actually used this yet myself.

It's pretty great. I might not want to get rid of tiles entirely, but I deffo don't want to spend time going around doing upgrades on all my planets myself.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

Wait isn't that literally your job description, noted SA poster Wiz?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's time for Wiz's reign of goon terror to end!!!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I kind of understand why people love ship design even though they're wrong but I'm pretty confused by people who think that having a bad UI is fundamental to the game experience

I like ship design. I think it needs to focus more on specific tactics instead of rps though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
After Utopia releases I still plan on trying my hands at a combat and tech overhaul.

Its gonna be great mark my word.

Missile salvos changed to point weapons that frontload damage at the cost of empty tubes. Kinetics are reliable damage dealers with a moderate power cost. Energy weapons are the best but power hungry so good luck filling a ship with them unless you want to give up on shields.

Energy costs for ships that DONT increase from upgrading weapons but weapons themselves having wildly different energy costs.

Spinal cannons being vastly superior damage dealers but very expensive and energy hungry.

FTL drives removable and making up the vast bulk of the cost of a smaller ship, making the construction of system defense fleets viable and desireable. And also loading a ship with powerful energy weapons on a budget.

I will probably remove damage types because its dumb and obtuse, except in special situations like disruptors dealing a massive damage to shields but none to health.

Sounds great right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 23, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Most of it seems pretty cool yeah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its gonna wind up terrible somehow though

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I generally like the idea of each weapon type having a much more distinct role than they do now. I'd also want all of them to be available at start with the preferred starting type to be something your empire gets a bonus to (starting with the level 2 tech maybe?) rather than the only type you start with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I will see what I can do there. I wouldnt mind starting everyone with kinetics and missiles and then letting them pick an additional tool in the form of fighters/lasers/shields. I am also gonna do the start with destroyers and corvettes being a high dodge sidegrade thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GlyphGryph posted:

Its gonna wind up terrible somehow though

Honestly, without wanting to sound harsh, it sounds like you'll take something broken and break it in a different way.

Its like the Star Trek Mod guys saying "oh tech is pretty samey and dull, let's add loads of interesting techs!". They add a bunch more techs, remove reverse engineering, and then don't change anything else and you end up as the Federation with galaxy class starships with type 1 phasers because RNG.

Some of the stuff you suggested individually is a good start (like why do spinal mounts suck) whereas others, like removing damage types and focusing purely on energy as a restriction, I think would be a mistake.

High DPS and lower defence is always better than low DPS and higher defence, because every ship you kill reduces incoming DPS, so as long as I'm killing you reasonably faster than you're killing me, I'll still win as my defence is lower but I also reduce damage more quickly.

Maybe you could get it so a low damage high defence fleet and a high DPS low damage fleet do about equal, but then there's literally no point in being in between (as you won't kill fast enough or tank hard enough), and the two options you do have are relatively meaningless.

You might as well just remove the ship designer all together, because unless there is some element of rock, paper, scissors style differences, there will be a "best" build or all builds will basically be the same.

I think one of the issues right now is that I find myself struggling to care about what my fleet design is because other than maybe fighting an FE it's too much of a pain to tailor your fleet and instead its easier to just out blob them. Changing the way weapons work won't really change that I don't feel.

• Locked thread