Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I'm liking this game a bit more the further I get into it. I think it is a good game, but with another 6 months or a year in the oven it could have been a great game. There is enough good in the game that I'm having fun, but there are lots of little annoyances that add up to an engaging but occasionally frustrating experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What was the organization in the opening in ME3 with all the VIPs then? Honest question, all I know is I saw Reapers destroy my neighbourhood.

lol no you didn't because the only recognizable landmark was loving Canada Place for some goddamned reason

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it's mostly that Infiltrator is much more well suited to tightly designed encounters and set pieces than open world gameplay. The original trilogy had almost exclusively the former, Andromeda has a lot of the latter. Infiltrator still does quite well in MP for this reason.

That is an entirely valid point that I hadn't considered. Definitely going to play it in Multiplayer though, once I get around to it, that is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

Yeah, without commenting on mass effect andromeda itself, decent games with numerous problems shouldn't ever really rank above a 5.

I think a grading scale of 1-10 works, if you save the bottom four for poo poo that doesn't work at all, and then use the 5-9 for blandy meh, decent, solid, really good, is the best of its modern kind or does something crazy new and interesting, and then the mysitcal and never obtainable 10.

So like Andromeda could get a 6.5

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Alright, it's released in Australia and I've had chance to play a bit. I've just landed on Eos.
First impressions, holy crap there is some atrocious voice acting and some atrociously scripted dialogue too. Some is good, some is even well done, but the bad stuff is really. really bad.
Performance on my older comp is ok (i2500k, gtx 970, 8g ram), some stuttering just after transitions but smooths out after that. Preset put it on high and that'll do me.
Like the combat I've done so far, feels fluid and Ryder's movement feels good.
Planet scanning animations will get old very fast.
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this, I think I'm pretty much at the point where it will open up, so we'll see what's in store.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
God drat, how can they gently caress up a character creator this badly in TYOOL 2017.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm liking this game a bit more the further I get into it. I think it is a good game, but with another 6 months or a year in the oven it could have been a great game. There is enough good in the game that I'm having fun, but there are lots of little annoyances that add up to an engaging but occasionally frustrating experience.

That's about how I'm feeling with it too as I play around on my fiance's copy for now. While I've enjoyed the other games in the franchise to varying degrees with and without mods, if this one had a bit more time for some polishing up, it really would've made a hell of a difference.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid posted:

God drat, how can they gently caress up a character creator this badly in TYOOL 2017.

You get to pick from about 10 haircut options, including three different types of fauxhawk, a pompadour, an afro, the jimmy darmody undercut™, and whatever you call this one;

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Decius posted:

Why is there the need to dismiss Mass Effect 1-3 now that MEA turned out to be not really that great? Not only here, but often when people try to find something positive in MEA they apparently have to do it on expense of ME in general, assuring everyone that wasn't that great a story/gameplay/writing to begin with and it's just as bad, but with more jank. Like that makes it somehow better?

It's mentally easier to accept that prior entries in the series were never All That Good to begin with rather than see the thing you're playing now as an obvious downgrade. Because how could I acknowledge that I'm enjoying myself while at the same time acknowledging that it's clearly an inferior product? I know, I'll call it all bad! Bulletproof.

Every entertainment product with a widely recognized subpar sequel has its people who will come out of the woodwork to say the more beloved originals were never good in the first place. Star Wars, Trek, MGS, Final Fantasy, Sonic, countless others. It's just a thing people do.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Please stop grading things on a ten point scale if "entirely average-to-bad" is a 7

Thanks

It isn't for me. It's good with some issues (7) and currently also sever bugs and errors (6). If they don't fix it, it is a 6/10, if they fix it it is a 7/10. A average game would be a 5/10.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

RatHat posted:

Oh the Dhan looks like a cool shotgun. It's basically a crossbow(single projectile with an arc).

Enemies are usually near dead after a charge, melee is just to finish them off. Not much use freezing them.

It's handy when you charge at a kett mini-gunner and don't kill him after blowing all your powers.

On the other hand, Annihilation is really handy if you take the level 6 evolution that lifts unshielded/unarmored enemies. Early in the game, at least.

Decius posted:

Why is there the need to dismiss Mass Effect 1-3 now that MEA turned out to be not really that great? Not only here, but often when people try to find something positive in MEA they apparently have to do it on expense of ME in general, assuring everyone that wasn't that great a story/gameplay/writing to begin with and it's just as bad, but with more jank. Like that makes it somehow better?

I don't know who exactly you're referring to, but while they were good games, there's no need to put them on a higher pedestal than they deserve. Sometimes they were buggy and awkward, too. Part of the criticism of Andromeda is because people expect Bioware to be on par with other recent roamy shooty talky games, not necessarily because ME1-3 had the greatest animations on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkAlRy50FR4

In other news, I really hope "get the conversation camera sorted" is on their short list to fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPbgyXWDY4

Also, I'm fiddling with videos because I walked off a cliff in an enemy base, and the game couldn't figure out how to respawn me. Why exactly did they think turning off saving was a good idea again?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I don't know who exactly you're referring to, but while they were good games, there's no need to put them on a higher pedestal than they deserve. Sometimes they were buggy and awkward, too. Part of the criticism of Andromeda is because people expect Bioware to be on par with other recent roamy shooty talky games, not necessarily because ME1-3 had the greatest animations on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkAlRy50FR4

Interesting choice of examples, considering that the Omega DLC was the first singleplayer content by the Andromeda team.

Mass Effect 1-3 had famously jank animations sometimes, but they still beat Andromeda's standard at a walk. Generally, the expectation for a sequel is improvement, not reversion.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Lucid Dream posted:

there were many, many years between ME3 and this one

mass effect was presumably the 'BIG MONEY' franchise of the bioware wing, so youd think that in that time they would produce something good without needing yet another year?

Decius posted:

It isn't for me. It's good with some issues (7) and currently also sever bugs and errors (6). If they don't fix it, it is a 6/10, if they fix it it is a 7/10. A average game would be a 5/10.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Game good

I decided to be a sisRyder because the gay options for broRyder are loving atrocious. I'm gonna get me some cat

Exploring the Nexus now

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Score based reviews are way way worse than Mass Effect Andromeda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The non-numerical reviews (AV Club, RPS) are all a lot harder on the game.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I use the scale I've grown up with, which is basically the second one, maybe a bit stricter (German video games magazines were generally rather stingy with anything above 86 % up until about 2008):
The scale seems to rate games that are technically sound, and only considers gameplay, story, graphics. If I ignore the many technical issues MEA currently has 7 (= upper end of good) indeed seems to be a quite reasonable number. Although I wouldn't consider a 7.5 already "Really Good" at all, that's at least 8. A game gets a 7.5 if it is good overall, but has some interesting ideas, that aren't completely fleshed out (or a really good game that has one really poo poo aspect - think ME 3).

To put it onto the scale:
ME 1 - 8
ME 2 - 8,5
ME 3 - 7,5
MEA - 7 (assuming stuff gets fixed) 6 (lol, they won't fix poo poo).

Serf
May 5, 2011

I love how every time you go to talk to your squadmates on the Tempest, they do this turning around animation that would slam their faces into Ryder's but they cut at the last second and the models are now standing a few feet apart. And then when you exit, you have to watch them turn around again. Peebee seems fond of doing a full spin before talking to you.

I built a Remnant gun and I'm really enjoying it. I'd forgotten how much I missed the overheat-based shooting of ME1.

Career
Mar 27, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm liking this game a bit more the further I get into it.

The game seems front-loaded with awfulness, especially with how much of the uninspired main plot is dumped on you from the beginning. Once I hit Aya and especially Kadara--which had quests with enough meat that it actually started to feel like a real Mass Effect game--my opinion of the game improved quite a bit. I know that I'll have to go back to Direct Object Badguy and his vague villain babble before too long, and that's a shame.

Bioware circa ME2 knew plotting wasn't one of their strengths--and it sure as hell wasn't one of the strengths of the Halo 4 guy they brought in for this one--and they made the plot as slender as necessary in order to hang a bunch of character-focused quests off of it. Their (or EA's) refusal to play to their strengths, or at least to duplicate what brought them critical and commercial success, drives me nuts.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do I have to craft to get better weapons and armor? I don't think I've seen anything dropped and I've avoided R&D because there were too many options and I was paralyzed

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Lakbay posted:

Do I have to craft to get better weapons and armor? I don't think I've seen anything dropped and I've avoided R&D because there were too many options and I was paralyzed

From what I understand, R&D and resource gathering is the primary method of obtaining new weapon and armor upgrades as the drops for either of those are very sparse.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Lakbay posted:

No but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JawKnee posted:

lol no you didn't because the only recognizable landmark was loving Canada Place for some goddamned reason

Mac Walters: Now you're in the Canada Place.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know where the artifact for "Forgotten History" is on Voeld? There's no marker or any kind of hint for it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Holy poo poo I am never leaving Kadara. Every time I think I'm done, some other quest sends me back.

Lakbay posted:

theSpokeyDokey posted:

From what I understand, R&D and resource gathering is the primary method of obtaining new weapon and armor upgrades as the drops for either of those are very sparse.

Sorta. Some crafting opens up for free just from leveling - usually the level after the researchable upgrades become available (example - new N7 armor tier can be researched at level 10, so the equivalent Pathfinder bits open up at 11).

isk fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 23, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lakbay posted:

You don't need to, except if you want a specific thing or build. You regularly get items if you search a bit around. For example once you get to Voeld, you get the whole Angaran armour mk3 set by simply walking around in Angaran bases and opening containers/talking to people. Enemies regularly drop weapons and you find them in containers. On Normal you can easily get by with the stuff you find. But if you want to play a unkillable tank with Drack's shotgun you might want to craft both shotgun and the Remnant armour set for example.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I'm away in Vietnam for another five weeks so what's the Apex app about? I'm sending away teams to do missions and stock up boosters for the single player but what else can I do on this?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This is the first ME game I have played not on insanity from the start. There will always be some restarting at that level, until you figure out how to beat the mobs. But holy poo poo who thought it would be a good idea to make you respawn 60 seconds or so away. There are so many bad design decisions in this game I think they must have all been high while making it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RatHat posted:

What shotgun do you guys recommend for a Vanguard? There are so many guns to choose from it's hard to pick.[/spoiler]

I've tried a few (still need to try the Krogan one and the electric one) but keep falling back on the Disciple. It's just a really solid, ordinary shotgun. The Dhan (single-slug Kett shotgun) is super powerful but for whatever reason I didn't like using it. The Piranha is really good DPS but I wanted more punch per shot so it didn't do it for me.

The other Kett shotgun (Hesh I think?) and the Remnant one were a waste of research points, don't make my mistake.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 23, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alec full memory spoiler:

So, who is the silent benefactor?

Also, It doesn't look like Alex would never pass the Pathfinder duty to Cora due to the secretly stashed frozen wife in the cargo bay. That's pretty lovely of him. Good thing COra is kind of dumb. Poor Cora, she was kicked out by her former CO too.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

JawKnee posted:

i feel like it still looked like vancouver geographically. i vaguely remember looking around and thinking that, at least. its been too long since ive played me3 to remember much else

Collateral posted:

This is the first ME game I have played not on insanity from the start. There will always be some restarting at that level, until you figure out how to beat the mobs. But holy poo poo who thought it would be a good idea to make you respawn 60 seconds or so away. There are so many bad design decisions in this game I think they must have all been high while making it.

yeah, the difficulty of combat is fine, but the auto-saving being complete bullshit in 100% of cases is aggravating. off the top of my head ive fallen through the world/tempest, spawned inside a pack of enemies, loaded 3 minutes of travelling prior to an obvious fight coming up and loaded up and had the pack of enemies i fought last time just not exist

isk
Oct 3, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Alec full memory spoiler:

So, who is the silent benefactor?

I'm at the same part you are, but I'm reasonably confident it is The Illusive Man. Ridiculously wealthy and resourceful, premium on anonymity, knowledge of the then-incoming Reaper invasion, not to mention the willingness to murder... it adds up.

quote:

Also, (Alec full memory spoiler): It doesn't look like Alex would never pass the Pathfinder duty to Cora due to the secretly stashed frozen wife in the cargo bay. That's pretty lovely of him. Good thing COra is kind of dumb. Poor Cora, she was kicked out by her former CO too.

It's more or less resolved in the Cora loyalty mission - she says she's had a history of finding leaders with a vision, then serves as their adjutant. Wasn't the nicest thing Alec's done, but it fits her profile and her preferences.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Verviticus posted:

yeah, the difficulty of combat is fine, but the auto-saving being complete bullshit in 100% of cases is aggravating. off the top of my head ive fallen through the world/tempest, spawned inside a pack of enemies, loaded 3 minutes of travelling prior to an obvious fight coming up and loaded up and had the pack of enemies i fought last time just not exist

Inquisition would have enemies spawn on top of you sometimes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This game does a terrible job of making a first impression on the player. Think about the first 3 worlds it sends you to:

Desert world - Ugh, deserts are generally just the worst, and while Eos does get a lot easier on the eyes after the Vault, it still has the worst excesses of lovely open-world design. Scattered enemy outposts with no reason to go to them and far-flung fetch quests.

Ice world - Really just another kind of desert. Blizzards are cool visually, but everything is white on grey and the ice that makes you skid and slide around is just an annoying pain in the rear end.

Jungle world - Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Havarl has the coolest look of the planets so far, and no Nomad means the lovely open-world stuff is kept to a minimum. However, they filled this dark jungle planet with dark sniper enemies who are hard to pick out of the background. Of all the games that I thought would evoke the Vietnam War, Andromeda was not on that list.

Also the people who designed the areas where you fight should be put down. Cover is scarce, and sometimes just finding a way to approach an enemy position is an exercise in frustration. Open world Mass Effect just does not loving work, and I can't believe they decided to do this.

Aya is the first time the game actually feels like classic Mass Effect, while the Nexus and your outposts feels like what I wanted out of this concept.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Rinkles posted:

Inquisition would have enemies spawn on top of you sometimes.

yeah that's basically happened, ive attacked an outpost, died, and the the auto-save put me directly int he middle of the outpost i just attacked but with its full complement of bad guys. i spent like 10 reloads praying i could charge a guy on the periphery and get into cover before being shot up

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Serf posted:

Also the people who designed the areas where you fight should be put down. Cover is scarce, and sometimes just finding a way to approach an enemy position is an exercise in frustration. Open world Mass Effect just does not loving work, and I can't believe they decided to do this.

The lack of control with the squad takes some getting used to. Enemies flank a lot and not having an extra Singularity/Cryo Blast/etc. hurts when you're surrounded. My solution was to embrace Charge and load up on cooldown reduction.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the best bullet hose? I want to aim my gun in an enemy's general direction, hold down the trigger, and watch a health bar drain. I was eyeing the Cyclone and that full-auto shotgun but I'm out of Milky Way points. I've researched some full-auto ARs and SMGs but I don't have enough materials/credits yet to actually make them

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

isk posted:

I'm at the same part you are, but I'm reasonably confident it is The Illusive Man. Ridiculously wealthy and resourceful, premium on anonymity, knowledge of the then-incoming Reaper invasion, not to mention the willingness to murder... it adds up.

It's more or less resolved in the Cora loyalty mission - she says she's had a history of finding leaders with a vision, then serves as their adjutant. Wasn't the nicest thing Alec's done, but it fits her profile and her preferences.

I don't think that was resolved. First of all, Cora's own personality shouldn't matter. Secondly, if you are Scott Ryder and start dating Cora, would you tell her Alec Ryder's plan of making either children the next Pathfinder in order to abuse the position and resources to save mom? If you have a hard time telling her that, then it was lovely thing to do.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my god I just met Vetra and now I don't know who to romance anymore :negative:

She's so... tall! I want to climb her like a ladder :shlick:

Anyway the Nexus talkity talk part was a pretty rough slog (even though I liked Tann and Kesh) but now I'm on my ship and I finally get to go to a world to do stuff now! Phew.

Compared to the Citadel section at the start of ME1, where you get to go to council meetings and seedy bars and everywhere in between, the Nexus section was super dull and sterile. Doesn't help that it's over-lit and there's no music :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hedrigall posted:

She's so... tall! I want to climb her like a ladder :shlick:

Just don't ingest and get some ointment for the rashes.