Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Saw Logan tonight. Wow; that was a wonderfully made and acted movie. Goddamn.

Some thoughts:

1. Every bit of praise showered upon Dafne Keen is justified. I am still trying to parse how an 11 year old girl could so accurately portray feral rage and deeply rooted PTSD, let alone the quiet isolation that comes from understanding that she's different from regular people but not really understanding why. I was also pretty surprised that they really showed the same girl getting impaled on a harpoon. Like, that level of explicit violence towards a preteen girl was... intense.

2. Since the X-Men franchise started, we've all been braying for a "proper" Wolverine movie where the claws come out and we see some poo poo go down. I love that Mangold said "Okay, that's what you wanna see? gently caress you, here you go" and made the movie we all asked for, but none of the violence is cool Matrix romanticized violence. Nope, that was visceral and upsetting and draining and dehumanizing. In a lot of scenes, the violence took on a more horror movie quality, giving them more impact and also working with the character.

3. Attn studios: here's more proof that you should stop loving around with movies. Leave the writers/directors/etc the gently caress alone, and you get Logan and Deadpool and Civil War. gently caress around a bunch and you get Amazing Spiderman 2 and Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and Apocalypse.

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

I'm gonna say it right now. If Maguire pops in to be Ben and Garfield is...I dunno, Kaine I guess, I'll be there opening night. I'll go see it 10 times at full price.

Yeah this would seriously kind of loving own.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

pee out my butt posted:

Alright, but we don't have the budget for any good Summers brothers, so Jason Mewes as Adam X.

Wait, mother%//&% Adam X is a %&$§/ Summers brother?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Saw Logan tonight. Wow; that was a wonderfully made and acted movie. Goddamn.

Some thoughts:

1. Every bit of praise showered upon Dafne Keen is justified. I am still trying to parse how an 11 year old girl could so accurately portray feral rage and deeply rooted PTSD, let alone the quiet isolation that comes from understanding that she's different from regular people but not really understanding why. I was also pretty surprised that they really showed the same girl getting impaled on a harpoon. Like, that level of explicit violence towards a preteen girl was... intense.

2. Since the X-Men franchise started, we've all been braying for a "proper" Wolverine movie where the claws come out and we see some poo poo go down. I love that Mangold said "Okay, that's what you wanna see? gently caress you, here you go" and made the movie we all asked for, but none of the violence is cool Matrix romanticized violence. Nope, that was visceral and upsetting and draining and dehumanizing. In a lot of scenes, the violence took on a more horror movie quality, giving them more impact and also working with the character.

3. Attn studios: here's more proof that you should stop loving around with movies. Leave the writers/directors/etc the gently caress alone, and you get Logan and Deadpool and Civil War. gently caress around a bunch and you get Amazing Spiderman 2 and Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and Apocalypse.

Civil War is probably one of the more hosed around with movies.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, mother%//&% Adam X is a %&$§/ Summers brother?

No, but it was strongly hinted that he was in his early appearances.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

rantmo posted:

No, but it was strongly hinted that he was in his early appearances.

Nowadays that would be more of a threat than a promise of interesting character development. Find out you're a Summers and it's pretty much a given that you will get sucked into time travel shenanigans and/or bone your mother's clone from a different dimension.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Nowadays that would be more of a threat than a promise of interesting character development. Find out you're a Summers and it's pretty much a given that you will get sucked into time travel shenanigans and/or bone your mother's clone from a different dimension.

And that's your best case scenario.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd say best case is dying before anything happens to you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Cable's mission in Deadp2l is to kill his mother and father before they make him because he's so done with this poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Cable's mission in Deadp2l is to kill his mother and father before they make him because he's so done with this poo poo.

I think you mean Dead2l.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No matter how many parents he kills his origin story keeps changing so he exists. For a brief period in the middle of the film everyone calls him Bishop.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Aphrodite posted:

The last "round" was 1 movie.

I was referring to the "Amazing" movies

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Summers brothers never die, they just get retconned.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Summers Brothers, have optic blasts
Met their son who was sent from the past,
Met some girls with some telepathy

Tell me less, tell me less, I am sick of these guys

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

parallelodad posted:

Civil War is probably one of the more hosed around with movies.

I don't know if it was due to mandates but they probably had to work with Marvel and other producers/directors just due to the sheer number of other characters they were using. My impression is the Russo's genuinely wanted to include Spidey/Panther in it but had to wait for clearance from the higher ups. Probably the only big change is they originally had a smaller part for RDJ but he negotiated to get a big part.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/deadpool/deadpool_2/deadpool-2-concept-art-featuring-cable-domino-and-more-seemingly-leaks-online-a149839

Deadpool 2 concept art with Pitt as Cable, likely where that rumor stemmed from

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That's an...inspired pick? :confused:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Oh god, how did I never make the robot arm connection between Winter Soldier and Cable until that concept art? For a hot second even I was like "wow what a rip off"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

JordanKai posted:

That's an...inspired pick? :confused:

It works really well in that concept art

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FAT BATMAN posted:

Oh god, how did I never make the robot arm connection between Winter Soldier and Cable until that concept art? For a hot second even I was like "wow what a rip off"

True story. Dan Slot had a comic where Cable goes back to World War 2 to fight a time traveler who is giving Nazi scientist Trask advice on how to make Nazi Sentinel.
Cap, Bucky and Cable wreck dudes.

At the end, Bucky is like "I'd give my right arm to have a cool robot arm like that dude. "

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dan Slot is the worst.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does he give a giant wink to the camera in the next panel

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Who needs Black Cat in a Silver Sable movie? I get that they only have characters from the Spider-Man roster to pull from but surely there's someone better for a mercenary story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdPV-mh1js&t=29s

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, Pitt as Cable looks pretty cool, but it seems a little...miscast?

Don't get me wrong, I like Brad Pitt as an actor, but he seems a little "big" for a comic book movie where he plays the straight man second banana

Pitt strikes me as a guy who would rather be the goofy fun character, or the crazy one. Fight Club, Burn After Reading, Snatch - those are some of my favorite rolls of his. And it's not like he can't do gruff or serious, but I see him more as a lead, where he can break a little more loose, rather than the tired old guy with the stick up his rear end who has to share the screen with the likes of Deadpool.

I mean, Pitt is handsome, he's smooth, and you can't really help but like him, even if you wouldn't want to be close friends with him. Like you don't really trust most of his characters. He can do accents, he's done a Boomhauer voice on KOTH so he could probably do a Creole...Wait

Wait...

gently caress it.

Brad Pitt for Gambit, 2020. That would make me go see it.

There. I don't care if the script is a garbage fire and the effects are from circa 2000 TV movies. I would go see Gambit in theaters with Brad Pitt as the lead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like Brad Pitt as an actor, but he seems a little "big" for a comic book movie where he plays the straight man second banana

That's pretty much his Ocean's 11 character. He also seems like the type of actor who will do something just because he thinks it's fun, so I could see it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvoyDcwMg4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving love* teasers for trailers.

*hate

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, Cable by way of Aldo from Inglourious Basterds is something I could gently caress with

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah a teaser for a movie is fine but we're going way overboard when we're having teasers for the trailer itself

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
they should do it like F For Fake where it's ten minutes long and still doesn't tell you anything about the movie.

or Citizen Kane where it's just Affleck hyping up the movie and introducing all the cast members.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
we live in an era that has teasers for teasers of trailers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKgRecPi1I

pretty sure it's not actually Reynolds but i didn't think it's be a good fit for the marvel thread

site fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 23, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dacap posted:

Sony is apparently developing a Silver Sable/Black Cat movie alongside their Spidey-free Venom movie showing they learned NOTHING from the last round of movies and will gently caress up whatever goodwill Homecoming regains them almost immediately.

I'm really surprised Disney did not insist on some level of creative oversight for potential spinoffs so Sony doesn't gently caress their brand up. You would think the MCU movies would've done a movie with Venom eventually if they weren't rushing this and then it would've made sense to do a spinoff.

I think the craziest thing about the Sony developments is that they want this poo poo out by 2018. Regardless of how optimistic you might be about them (lol), that gives you like a few months to write, produce, and direct this thing. I mean that's insane. Who's going to crew this? It's not like they have a successful creative team ready to jump in.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Shageletic posted:

I think the craziest thing about the Sony developments is that they want this poo poo out by 2018. Regardless of how optimistic you might be about them (lol), that gives you like a few months to write, produce, and direct this thing. I mean that's insane. Who's going to crew this? It's not like they have a successful creative team ready to jump in.

It really shows how desperate their movie division is for a hit.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

You mean another hit, after the Emoji movie 👍👍💵💵💵

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/iamthatroby/status/845029535573692416

:goonsay:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Who is that and why should I care about his bad opinion

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I think that might have been the point, actually.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat WB is going all out for this teaser for the trailer. My FB feed is just full of poo poo. Oh look Batman is standing on a building, wow, that's not like how he's been shown every single time they've put out a poster with Batman on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bruce shouldn't need to hold on to anything for balance. NOT MY BATMAN :colbert:

• Locked thread