Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I miss having a not brain dead pres :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Shageletic posted:

Maybe I exaggerated but apparently a few Dems in the Senate were blabbing about allowing Gorsich (a man more conservative than Scalia) in, to preserve the filibuster for the next judicial appointee.

It might be bullshit, but it did make me ANGREEEEY

some unnamed dems allegedly did this, but it was only six and with no leadership support so they couldn't actually break the filibuster anyway

I'm still going to be calling my D Senators to yell at them to filibuster Gorsuch, but there were a ton of hot takes based on an intentionally click-baity headline yesterday.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm glad we elected an illiterate coke head to destroy our dumb (or bad) country.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey guys apparently the entire Trump administration is in some sort of trouble?

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Perfectly Safe posted:

Are there Rs opposed to the AHCA for good reasons (causing people to lose insurance) rather than bad ones (doesn't go far enough)? I've heard a lot about the latter. I feel like/seem to remember that there are some who are opposed to it for good reasons as well, but team evil are getting a lot of attention at the moment.

Charlie Dent and some of the Tuesday Group

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Might've meant something if he wasn't such a spineless neolib.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

We can't filibuster because then we might not be able to use the filibuster.

Awesome

This doesn't matter at all. Either they filibuster and the republicans immediately go nuclear or they filibuster later when the republicans immediately go nuclear. There is no mechanism where we can stop or even delay/change the nominee for a supreme court justice unless we get another 5 senators.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

make our healthcare better instead of worse? perish the thought!

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
If what Manafort is accused of is true (it is) how exactly did he think he'd get away with it

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/TeenVogue/status/844913642869002240

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/844916009857376257

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

deathbysnusnu posted:

This doesn't matter at all. Either they filibuster and the republicans immediately go nuclear or they filibuster later when the republicans immediately go nuclear. There is no mechanism where we can stop or even delay/change the nominee for a supreme court justice unless we get another 5 senators.
Can't imagine how symbolic actions could be important in politics. No sir.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

:discourse:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/844911124948635649

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

deathbysnusnu posted:

So why not try it now anyway and at least go down swinging? Besides, 2016 showed that anything can happen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

We can't filibuster because then we might not be able to use the filibuster.

Awesome

Not seeing anything else alluding to it, but it can't hurt if I yell at one of Schumer's poor aides about it. Her ear drums I suppose.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

If what Manafort is accused of is true (it is) how exactly did he think he'd get away with it

by the power of nothing matters

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

their morphing tool is another goddamn flip phone

but its also a magic wand somehow

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

CortezFantastic posted:

he has so far

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CortezFantastic posted:

i think his thought processes ended while he was rolling around on his money bed

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/844682114901721088

https://twitter.com/Christiana1987/status/844780397175095297

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

fart blood posted:

Hey guys apparently the entire Trump administration is in some sort of trouble?

we drifted into a mattering nebula yesterday and everyone went apeshit

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Democrats, less effective then the literal American Nazi Party.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lmao gently caress NYT

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

docbeard posted:

I assume that the next version of the AHCA is going to just flat-out make health insurance illegal.

That's what needs to happen though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

wtf theyre horse thieves

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The NYpost kept on killing the killer dapper, and the dead man a career criminal.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Augus posted:

make our healthcare better instead of worse? perish the thought!

gently caress that, I don't want the government taking all my hard-earned money when I finally hit it big on the $5 scratchers

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Serf posted:

by the power of nothing matters

If there's no smoking gun on Trump himself, Trump could pardon manafort and get away with it. Like immediately after charges were announced. Hell Trump might be able to self pardon for collusion with the Russians if it's only proven that it was to help himself win the election as opposed to I will support a breakup of NATO. Impeachment takes 66 senators, no way that enough republicans will break ranks if FOX decides the narrative is "global elitists frame Trump".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im tentatively calling this one watchable as h*ck, tune in

https://m.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

deathbysnusnu posted:

If there's no smoking gun on Trump himself, Trump could pardon manafort and get away with it. Like immediately after charges were announced. Hell Trump might be able to self pardon for collusion with the Russians if it's only proven that it was to help himself win the election as opposed to I will support a breakup of NATO. Impeachment takes 66 senators, no way that enough republicans will break ranks if FOX decides the narrative is "global elitists frame Trump".

i thought that actively being under investigation for related crimes limits him somewhat

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Democrats, less effective then the literal American Nazi Party.

its easy to be effective when you control the house senate and oval office

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's awesome the way that white guy was not murdered by police

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

deathbysnusnu posted:

Don't care. Republicans voted a billion times to repeal the ACA despite it being pointless.

The Dems need to fight and more importantly show they are willing to fight and if not than to be punished for rolling over.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also trump is holding like 40 smoking guns

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yinlock posted:

i thought that actively being under investigation for related crimes limits him somewhat

I also think if he starts dropping pardons there would finally be some riots

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

its easy to be effective when you control the house senate and oval office

not for republicans, apparently

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

well hold them anyway, maybe not control

and on the other hand, maybe not as easy as we thought??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CortezFantastic posted:

Nothing matters comrade, when you are in power.

• Locked thread