Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OldTennisCourt posted:

Going in on this topic, what's everyone list of hardest MST3K episodes to get through? Aside from the very early stuff where you could argue the show was finding it's footing, I've ever watched the KTMA stuff for that reason.

After having not seen it in forever, I'm starting to think all of them put me to sleep :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are Neptune Men and Prince of Space related to each other, like as a sequel or whatever, or are they just weird semi-remakes of each other? They're like the same drat movie.
They're only really related in that they're both tokusatsu genre (read: live action filming heavy on special effects, like sci-fi and superheroes) releases from Toei. Prince of Space came a few years before Neptune Men and was more noticeably imitating the successful Super Giant (Starman in America) series a few years prior. In the end the less well-regarded entries into the genre probably just feel familiar because someone was trying to make a quick yen following established conventions, mostly. Copies of copies of copies.

(One notable thing about the translation of Prince of Space - his "Your weapons are useless against me!" was elaborated upon in Japanese in that he meant he could dodge them, not that he was invulnerable to them.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I'm probably alone on this, but I really like Ring of Terror as an episode. It's such a great example of those old movies trying to set up a "world" with side characters and subplots and stuff.

Hogama posted:

They're only really related in that they're both tokusatsu genre (read: live action filming heavy on special effects, like sci-fi and superheroes) releases from Toei. Prince of Space came a few years before Neptune Men and was more noticeably imitating the successful Super Giant (Starman in America) series a few years prior. In the end the less well-regarded entries into the genre probably just feel familiar because someone was trying to make a quick yen following established conventions, mostly. Copies of copies of copies.
Fun Fact: Space Chief was actually played by by a very young Sonny Chiba.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I find skydivers incredibly boring, even the riffs can't save the absolutely non existent plot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

lenoon posted:

I find skydivers incredibly boring, even the riffs can't save the absolutely non existent plot.

I used to love Skydivers. I haven't watched it in a few years, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't the major issue with Ring of Terror that the film was absurdly short and that's why they had to cram in a second short at the end to pump up the running time?

It's weird they put it at the end since there was a previous episode with a super short movie where they just had two shorts back to back at the start.

Are Neptune Men and Prince of Space related to each other, like as a sequel or whatever, or are they just weird semi-remakes of each other? They're like the same drat movie.

Not at all.

Prince of Space is much older, from 1958, and was actually a TV series, Planet Prince. WHen that proved successful, Toei made two movies based on it, which Sandy Frank grabbed to make this wonderful piece of art.

Invasion of the Neptune Men is an actual honest to God movie from 1961 and was as it appears.

That's why Prince of Space has such a weird pacing problem and a near schizophrenic plot- it is literally two different short movies chopped up and edited together.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had never seen a full Joel episode before yesterday, so I decided to start with Mitchell, and was a little disappointed by how much of it was just pop culture references (particularly riffs that were just shouting the name of a reference), especially ones that are now incredibly outdated. As a comparison, I decided to watch one of my favorite episodes, Werewolf, and while there's still some of it, the references are generally a lot more accessible. Kind of a bummer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I had never seen a full Joel episode before yesterday, so I decided to start with Mitchell, and was a little disappointed by how much of it was just pop culture references (particularly riffs that were just shouting the name of a reference), especially ones that are now incredibly outdated. As a comparison, I decided to watch one of my favorite episodes, Werewolf, and while there's still some of it, the references are generally a lot more accessible. Kind of a bummer.

I think that this is also the natural evolution of pop culture. More recent episodes have more recent jokes and references to pull from.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Mitchell is a good episode but I don't get all the reverence for it because a. I don't find it THAT funny and b. I don't know how anyone else feels, but some of the audio in that movie is absolutely indecipherable cause of how bad the sound is recorded. Kinda kills the vibe.

As to truly bad eps that put me to sleep, I think even great episodes inevitably put me to sleep but I don't know, maybe I'm narcoleptic.

Hamlet is definitely an awful ep. I watching it when it first aired and just be dumbfounded as to how a single piece of film could be quite so boring. I feel that way kinda to about Jack Frost and those other weird russian finnish movies, but thats just me.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Mitchell is a good episode but I don't get all the reverence for it because a. I don't find it THAT funny and b. I don't know how anyone else feels, but some of the audio in that movie is absolutely indecipherable cause of how bad the sound is recorded. Kinda kills the vibe.

Mitchell is incredibly funny to me, I just really enjoyed the riffs on how poorly the movie actually is (Crow noticing the sound of a car door shutting before it actually shuts) and on how incomprehensible the plot is (Servo losing it when Mitchell screams at the child). It's definitely a bad movie, but it's one that is still watchable. I'm with you there on the audio, though, I have to listen on headphones just to understand what anyone is saying.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This is my favorite riff of all time, and it's not even a riff - it's just them laughing at how bad the movie is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKiaRUKgmA

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Has anyone ever actually eaten a hamdinger?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

John Murdoch posted:

As I think I've mentioned in these threads many a time, I think I've only made it the whole way through Manos all of about once.

I've seen Manos enough that I'm in "seeing the good movie buried underneath it all" mode as I watch it nowadays.

That Paste listicle hit the nail on the head with Manos. As an episode of MST3K, it's merely average, but the movie itself is such a once-in-a-lifetime bad movie that people can't help but deify it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Gavok posted:

I've seen Manos enough that I'm in "seeing the good movie buried underneath it all" mode as I watch it nowadays.

That Paste listicle hit the nail on the head with Manos. As an episode of MST3K, it's merely average, but the movie itself is such a once-in-a-lifetime bad movie that people can't help but deify it.

I saw the remastered Manos in theaters and it isn't that bad of a movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The child bride ending to Manos makes it all the more bizarre, especially since she looks like she's on the spectrum.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

2. Holy poo poo do I love Kinga's Robot Monster henchmen.

I can't unsee the batch on the tall one, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gavok posted:

We watched Future War the other night and I have to admit, someone on that production crew had a minuscule inkling of how to make a movie.

Not to say anything was particularly better done than the rest, but someone at least had seen good movies and was trying, incompetently, to ape them. For example, the opening credits with them walking through the barn with the light blasting through the slats, they were actually trying to do something interesting beyond just pointing the camera at the actors.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Franchescanado posted:

The child bride ending to Manos makes it all the more bizarre, especially since she looks like she's on the spectrum.

There are flashes of actual creativity in that ending. The abrupt end to the scene when Mike shoots the Master, and the reveal of what happened to Mike and his family being delayed until the last few seconds of the film, are genuinely suspenseful. The quick montage of the brides inserted into Mike's final appearance is downright chilling.

It's a bleak emotionless ending in a time when horror movies were expected to have the heroes escape and the villains die or at most vanish. The rest of the film is garbage, but I've always thought they deserved more credit for those last few minutes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We Know Catheters posted:

It's one of the most poorly made movies they watch, and that's saying a lot for MST3K. The way all of the voices are dubbed in afterward, the way the credits were clearly supposed to go over the driving scene from the beginning, the fact that nobody told poor Torgo he was doing the satyr thing backwards. The plot is fairly average (at least, for an MS3K movie, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination and a whole lot of is just dead air), but the actual construction of the movie is worse than the other vanity projects they watch.

It reminds me of the last episode of the Twilight Zone, in which they discovered sound quality issues after filming, and had to dub over the girl who played Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird with (literally, I'm not riffing) the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel. It doesn't matter how good of a plot the episode had going for it (although admittedly the story was not one of the show's best anyway), those kinds of technical difficulties destroy your sense of disbelief and your ability to follow the plot as a story so much that you're drawn to assess the technical aspects, which, if they're bad, make the whole thing laughable.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There's a new Kickstarter update out with info about when different people will get access to the episodes. If you backed at the $25 level or higher you will get streaming access to the first episode (on VHX) on April 8th (for 24 hours) and there will be an official simulwatch with Joel and the rest of the cast followed by a Q&A.

On the 11th backers who pledged at a level that includes digital downloads ($85+) will get streaming access to the whole season which will be upgraded to download access on the 13th (the day before it goes live on Netflix).

Joel is also strongly encouraging people to watch it on Netflix (both the classic and new eps) since how many people watch (and how much they watch) is one of the key metrics Netflix uses when deciding to renew a show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a new Kickstarter update out with info about when different people will get access to the episodes. If you backed at the $25 level or higher you will get streaming access to the first episode (on VHX) on April 8th (for 24 hours) and there will be an official simulwatch with Joel and the rest of the cast followed by a Q&A.

On the 11th backers who pledged at a level that includes digital downloads ($85+) will get streaming access to the whole season which will be upgraded to download access on the 13th (the day before it goes live on Netflix).

Joel is also strongly encouraging people to watch it on Netflix (both the classic and new eps) since how many people watch (and how much they watch) is one of the key metrics Netflix uses when deciding to renew a show.

What a welcome update. I am definitely going to order Netflix streaming, if only for a month. Is there any other Netflix Originals I should check out? I'm already planning to see Jessica Jones and Sense8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It looks like the reason they don't show a ton of riffing in the trailer is that Joel asked Netflix not to give away too much about the movies they'll be riffing.

It's also nice to see that MST3K and Rifftrax are working to promote each other. Maybe if they get a season 12, Mike and Trace will reconsider stopping by for cameos.

That backer rewards thing is such a difficult tightrope for them to walk. I hope they can pull it off without losing views on Netflix or angering people that they're only getting the downloads like a day beforehand.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ringu0 posted:

What a welcome update. I am definitely going to order Netflix streaming, if only for a month. Is there any other Netflix Originals I should check out? I'm already planning to see Jessica Jones and Sense8

Stranger Things is an obvious answer, but honestly they have produced so much original content now that it really depends on your taste. I really liked Wet Hot American Summer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gozinbulx posted:

Hamlet is definitely an awful ep. I watching it when it first aired and just be dumbfounded as to how a single piece of film could be quite so boring. I feel that way kinda to about Jack Frost and those other weird russian finnish movies, but thats just me.

Do you get bored?

Gavok posted:

I'm actually on board with that take. Just doesn't make the episode particularly easier to watch for me. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 23, 2017

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

wa27 posted:

Stranger Things is an obvious answer, but honestly they have produced so much original content now that it really depends on your taste. I really liked Wet Hot American Summer.

Thank you, I forgot about this one.

Yeah, they produced a ton of content, and it was a silly question to ask anyway. I was sort of keeping track of what I wanted to see, but then the list became too long. In any case, here's the list of what people might want to see on Netflix after they finish Season 11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From the update:

Joel posted:

Then, on SUNDAY, APRIL 8th

:raise:

But seriously, this is all kinds of awesome. I'd been wondering how they were going to navigate the netflix vs. downloads thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

Love and Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are essential.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Franchescanado posted:

Love and Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are essential.

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real. Stranger Things is a popcorn thriller that borrows liberally from Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. It ranges from "pretty cool" to "amazing," depending on who you ask. Don't overestimate it, but don't write it off either.

I also recommend Easy if you're into the whole mumblecore thing, and Sense8 if you want to see something different and bugfuck crazy, though you should give it until episode 4 before you make up your mind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

We Know Catheters posted:

It's a badly-made movie and an unlikeable movie, but the general story and even motivations hold together well enough, especially for the time. But that's just my take.

Franchescanado posted:

It's extra gross knowing that she was played by the granddaughter of the guy who played the Master.

ringu0 posted:

Daredevil is pretty rad and is much easier to binge than Jessica Jones.

While not a Netflix Original, I highly recommend Lucha Underground. It's basically a grindhouse Mortal Kombat wrestling show produced by Robert Rodriguez.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real. Stranger Things is a popcorn thriller that borrows liberally from Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. It ranges from "pretty cool" to "amazing," depending on who you ask. Don't overestimate it, but don't write it off either.

I also recommend Easy if you're into the whole mumblecore thing, and Sense8 if you want to see something different and bugfuck crazy, though you should give it until episode 4 before you make up your mind.

The biggest thing about Bojack is, if you suffer from depression, it gets really rough, BUT it has an amazing payoff in the last episode of Season 2 for the depressed audience.

Bojack is really funny. It captures many many types of humor well

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you! BoJack and Daredevil definitely were on my radar until they somehow fell off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Luke Cage is pretty great if you're looking into the Netflix Marvel stuff. I'd avoid Daredevil season 2 though, everything that doesn't deal with Punisher is boring and poorly written.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DivisionPost posted:

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real.

Can't stress this enough. First time through, the opening scene of season 2 triggered a loving flashback for my wife, who said she had that exact same conversation with her mom, almost word for word, when she was a child. Too real is an understatement, man. :smith:

Having said that, it's a great show and you should definitely check it (and Stranger Things) out. Netflix is great to also visit or revisit some non-original shows. I think Breaking Bad got much of its fanbase from Netflix, and It's Always Sunny is our go-to "watch when nothing else is on" show.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm super excited for the MST3K reboot, that I'll actually camp out in a TV IV thread again.

As for an old episode I can't sit through or even listen to in the background, Monster A Go-Go and Last of the Wild Horses. I still have no idea what the plots for both of those are about.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Monster A Go-Go's ending is basically "and at this point we ran out of money." Last of the Wild Horses was about horse rustling on a protected park, if I remember right.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

A lot of the Season 1 episodes are hard for me to get through, Slime People is probably the worst of those.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

HMS Beagle posted:

A lot of the Season 1 episodes are hard for me to get through, Slime People is probably the worst of those.

Not Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy? Or does your brain just block that one out?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Luke Cage is pretty great if you're looking into the Netflix Marvel stuff. I'd avoid Daredevil season 2 though, everything that doesn't deal with Punisher is boring and poorly written.

I was into it (and Jessica Jones) and disliked Daredevil entirely. It was a really well choreographed, extremely boring overdone story. If you want to watch some well choreographed fight scenes, though, Daredevil might be for you.

Jessica Jones, though, has a compelling lead and and even more interesting idea for a villain, and is watchable even if you're not into the superhero thing (I found myself wishing that the villain was the only one in the story with superpowers, but I realize that was unlikely given the source material). Luke Cage has its flaws and flounders a bit at the end of the season, but it's a timely story to tell. Stranger Things is just a unique, fun show, that's like the Netflix original version of Stephen King's It. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is basically just more seasons of 30 Rock. Everyone suddenly hates Orange Is the New Black, but it's actually good. Seconding that Bojack Horseman takes some time to get into (the first couple episodes make it seem like a boring and weird Simpsons rip-off with an unsympathetic protagonist), but it gets better and better and better. The third season in particular was really great. Love feels like a season of episodes of an indie Sundance movie that's sweet, awkward, but a little self-indulgent and directionless - if you're into that "slice of life" kind stuff, it's a pretty good watch, and it feels genuine, which is something we're often missing these days. Sense8 is one of those things you want to love just because of the intriguing concept, and it's well-made and well-cast, but we'll have to wait until season 2 before we see if it becomes Wachowski groan material. I really liked season 1, but it sort of needs a follow-up to be properly good, so hopefully they don't drop the ball.

Black Mirror's third season is as good as its first two and, of course, if you're into Arrested Development, Netflix is where season 4 lives. I think it was okay, and I liked it better on a second viewing.

Those are my, the Bicyclops's, view on Netflix originals. You can trust me - I'm as smart at Leonard Maltin!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Arrested Development Season 4? :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

John Murdoch posted:

Arrested Development Season 4? :corsair:

It should be mentioned that Season 4 is designed to be watched in one or two sittings. They couldn't really shuffle cast schedules around to get them all there at the same time, so each episode focuses on one or two characters. Punchlines to jokes established in prior episodes occur in the background all the time and it's easy to forget stuff if you don't binge it. Still absolutely worth a watch though.