Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mega agreedo that half life 2 is a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

just got shut down by facebook after flubbing online whiteboard interview #2, which was probably easier than online whiteboard interview #1. I rushed and choked

it's garbo!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i like your upgraded avatar stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you

nmn found the source and some kindly goons avatar-sized it for me (i can't remember exactly who, unfortunately)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Spime Wrangler posted:

just got shut down by facebook after flubbing online whiteboard interview #2, which was probably easier than online whiteboard interview #1. I rushed and choked

it's garbo!

Facebook strikes me as the kind of place that asks the smuggest whiteboard questions where you either know the trick or you're an idiot.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i aced the first interview with my potential boss, and she gave me some homework (reading, not even making a document) and said next steps would be either talk again very soon or talk with another person soon, as there is urgency.

i might not even take it anyways, since my own company thing is doing well enough.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The Management posted:

Facebook strikes me as the kind of place that asks the smuggest whiteboard questions where you either know the trick or you're an idiot.

yeah there were definitely questions where you either already had a workflow nailed for solving that category of problem or you'd be up poo poo creek (data science stuff). I don't think any were unreasonable, though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

process still blows and i'm sure has a super high false negative rate

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fyi gmail now blocks javascript in attachments (including inside archives) so good luck turning in your coding exercise i guess

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
have you ever gotten so exasperated with an employer that you told them "good luck in your search"? I think that would be fun to do, once.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

have you ever gotten so exasperated with an employer that you told them "good luck in your search"? I think that would be fun to do, once.

I did once by email after a super unpleasant interview

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

fyi gmail now blocks javascript in attachments (including inside archives) so good luck turning in your coding exercise i guess

if it's like anything else you can just password protect it to keep it from blocking anything

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

anybody fishing for director+ level positions? this is some bullshit, especially when people post roles for identity and access management asking for 10+ years of experience when saml has only been finalized for ~12, and god's own oauth with openid connect has only been launched in the last 2.5. sheeeit, i was in the room when we started talking fastfed. ffs.

and thanks to the goon who posted this - http://www.boomertechnologygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2017SalaryGuide_Tech.pdf - this is great. run through the calcs for variance for region when you start negotiations. or use it to fight with hr as to why you need more money.

stack paper erryday

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gazpacho posted:

oh hell yeah. seriously you should try it. you haven't lived until you've done it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rot13 your JavaScript files and attach a script to undo it

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Came back tonight and kicked the rear end of the homework that had kicked my rear end last night.

Just submitted. Feels pretty great.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, thinking back about a whiteboard question I did today, I realize that I did the hard part decently but forgot to do the easy part at the end. the interviewer didn't say anything so I'm not sure if he noticed and wasn't telling me or didn't see it. I'm very annoyed by it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

mega agreedo that half life 2 is a bad game

yeah i started playing it with my kids and realised how train tracked it is. they kept asking to play it but god what a bore
actually the boat part was ok and the scary part was scary

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Eh, if he didn't say anything he probably didn't care. Usually the ones I think I bombed I get offers on, the ones I think I killed it at I never hear from again.

Heading to an on-site tomorrow. No idea what I'm walking into. In the phone screen it sounded like they wanted to hire me for iOS dev and creating an API in Go, so the white boarding (and job) is going to be pure chaos?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
submitted an application two days ago in the morning, had a call scheduled within an hour, and now I have a code test this evening.

but I'm totally not stressing about it

:derp:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

upside that you don't have enough time to get properly stressed out about it, trying to prep or such silliness, just have to leap in now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some interviews are going to go well, some will just be a disaster. it doesn't even matter what your skill level is, there is an interviewer out there who is your antimatter and you will come out looking like an idiot. it happens, accept it and move on. now that you know it's a possibility you don't have to stress out. just show up, you will do well or you won't.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah it's a real bummer when that happens with a job you really want but thems the breaks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
got an interview coming up for a project management role, anybody have any good intro book suggestion so i can at least understand the lingo?

i'm more of an SME type myself but hey

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FrozenVent posted:

got an interview coming up for a project management role, anybody have any good intro book suggestion so i can at least understand the lingo?

i'm more of an SME type myself but hey

become a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) ®, op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you see, a PMP®'s love is very different from that of a square...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
what's the difference between a recruiter and a "member of the candidate experience team?" these are two separate people i'm fielding emails from before I actually get to talk to a technical person.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

member of the candidate experience team

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

what's the difference between a recruiter and a "member of the candidate experience team?" these are two separate people i'm fielding emails from before I actually get to talk to a technical person.
external recruiter & the person in HR who hired them

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bhodi posted:

external recruiter & the person in HR who hired them

nah, they're both internal recruiters to the company. lol at talking to an external recruiter, i direct applied to their careers site.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
oh, than it's the recruiting guy and the extra layer of management put there to oversee why qualified candidates weren't agreeing to work for the company

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bhodi posted:

oh, than it's the recruiting guy and the extra layer of management put there to oversee why qualified candidates weren't agreeing to work for the company

the place i'm working at just has really high turnover instead because they do a good job of looking OK from the outside and then you step in and BAM the bear trap closes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Twerk from Home posted:

member of the candidate experience team

mods, the needful is needed

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

the place i'm working at just has really high turnover instead because they do a good job of looking OK from the outside and then you step in and BAM the bear trap closes
the oversight will continue until morale improves

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

this isn't me at all but i thought i'd eq it anyway

(our place is more like "holy gently caress this tiny company is a dumpster fire that burns blue why would any person sane or insane ever work here")

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
my company can't find a talented JS dev to lead frontend work on some teams so there's a bunch of backend devs doing UI work and it's just sadface for everyone involved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

a lot of times it's "person who gets a commission for finding people" vs "person who schedules appointments and travel"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LinYutang posted:

my company can't find a talented JS dev to lead frontend work on some teams so there's a bunch of backend devs doing UI work and it's just sadface for everyone involved

ouch

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LinYutang posted:

we are all "full stack" and everyone is expected to own all aspects of whatever their project is, so if you make the infrastructure then you're writing that fuckin javascript. its horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao, I hope you like fixed width text-only amberpos because that's the UI you're getting if I'm doing it.

• Locked thread