Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If we're talking about deaths due to the interface, the number of times I ended up eating poo poo because I ended up accidentally selecting harvest arrows instead of precision arrows was a lot higher. The wheel works fine when you only have a handful of ammo types, but it really breaks down when you have 4x3 to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If we're talking about deaths due to the interface, the number of times I ended up eating poo poo because I ended up accidentally selecting harvest arrows instead of precision arrows was a lot higher. The wheel works fine when you only have a handful of ammo types, but it really breaks down when you have 4x3 to deal with

That's my loving point, thanks

And yeah, I deffo have dead zone issues on my DS4 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never had a problem with it. You don't have to select quickly. You have like, ages to make your selection. Like, as someone who has always hated radial menus and never been able to use them for poo poo in previous games, this one gave me zero trouble.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah as long as you're on the radial menu in Horizon you have all the time in the world to double check that you've got the right ammo type selected unless the machine is literally on top of you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The camera is at its worst in the cauldron boss rooms but I don't think I took more than 3 tries on any of them, including robot types I had never fought before and the thunderjaw.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Take your time in the menu. Time is at a near stand-still, you don't need to snap to a different ammo type immediately in it. Also add me to the list who has never had trouble with the camera. Unlike other games where you face multiple enemies, things are really easy to manage because just before they attack you'll see an !!! icon appear on the side of the screen they are attacking from, so they're easy to dodge.

I was surprised how easy those battles were to manage, even on the highest difficulty. Only thing that'd throw me off was the timing of the different attacks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So them designing a menu that takes you out of the action instead of a snappy quick one makes it good? Okay.

If you never got killed from behind after an enemy did one of those stupid flailing charges, maybe we played a different game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would have preferred a faster system and more foolproof one for something I do dozens of times during a long battle rather than having to "slow myself down" to deal a with finicky interface.

Like it wasn't a deal breaker but I'm not going to defend it as being optimal

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So them designing a menu that takes you out of the action instead of a snappy quick one makes it good? Okay.

If you never got killed from behind after an enemy did one of those stupid flailing charges, maybe we played a different game.

Radial menu snapping to super slow-mo seems to be the new standard, and I'll definitely take it over the AC inventory screens that take forever to load and make my PS4 sound like a pod racer. At least they made the camera stick the selector instead of the move stick like ghost recon, THAT radial menu got me killed a lot. Also, you get a handy warning about robots charging--their icon changes from a red dot with an exclamation mark to a super excited exclamation mark (that maybe flashes? I can't remember), letting you know its time to spam roll.

edit: not to say you won't get crushed instantly with little recourse by a thunderjaw doing a tail spin, but the ease of dying in HZD just means that you priorities should be distance from your enemy, THEN dealing damage

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 23, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sounds like you played a different game than everyone else. Must be everyone else who is wrong.

Not that picking the wrong arrow type doesn't happen because that is an annoying thing that happens. But most of your complaints are basically a non issue for everyone else so I dunno man.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

But I did dodge the charge. I couldn't see the follow up because of the camera. Maybe I just didn't spam dodge enough. I still think it falls in all the quality of life aspects , down to the fact that quicksave makes the screen go black(????)

I do have no love for most open world games, this was praised to high heaven and.. It fell flat for me. I won't argue tho.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Try rotating the camera towards what you want to be able to see. Maybe you're spamming dodge too much? Dodges are pretty great big windows of evasion, but you an still eat attacks in between them. Dodging once with the correct timing is worth way more than hammering dodge and hoping for the best...

I think that the screen fading dark when you save at a camp fire is a stylistic choice to indicate resting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quick switching arrow types for the currently equipped weapon would have been nice, sure. Not exactly a deal-breaker for me. But no, I've never been killed by enemies doing the flailing attack from behind because of those indicators helped me out a lot. They exist because enemies fan out and surround you. That said if you run in and get surrounded it's your fault for not culling the herd from afar. In this specific case, the fight is supposed to be hard because you're fighting the strongest enemy in a smaller arena than where they roam around.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

But I did dodge the charge. I couldn't see the follow up because of the camera. Maybe I just didn't spam dodge enough. I still think it falls in all the quality of life aspects , down to the fact that quicksave makes the screen go black(????)

I do have no love for most open world games, this was praised to high heaven and.. It fell flat for me. I won't argue tho.

I hate FPS games. No matter how much they are praised I always hate them. The genre just doesn't appeal to me, no matter how good the game is and regardless of how many people praise them I never really have fun with them so I don't buy them. Maybe you're just the same way with open world games and that's ok. The PS4's library is stupidly large, so just play something else.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I kept dying after dodging to the side to avoid the tunneling robots even though the hitboxes shouldnt have intersected but then i tried dodging away from them towards the camera and survived even though they clipped through aloy so qed its a poop game that i also really want to play more of cause its good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Morby posted:

I hate FPS games. No matter how much they are praised I always hate them. The genre just doesn't appeal to me, no matter how good the game is and regardless of how many people praise them I never really have fun with them so I don't buy them. Maybe you're just the same way with open world games and that's ok. The PS4's library is stupidly large, so just play something else.

Did you try Resident Evil 7 or Alien Isolation? Is it the FP or the S you don't like? Out of curiosity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

I think that the screen fading dark when you save at a camp fire is a stylistic choice to indicate resting.

Yeah, it's a momentary hat-tip to what the fiction says is supposed to be actually happening there. Same reason the fast-travel consumable looks like a sleeping bag and provisions- how do you think Aloy gets across the world while you're looking at the load screen?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

how do you think Aloy gets across the world while you're looking at the load screen?

I don't think she physically moves, I'm pretty sure the game assets are just reloaded with her character model instantiated at a different position :goonsay:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Morby posted:

I did finish it. I think it's a good but flawed game. I presented my issues with it. But apparently black and white is the norm.

For me, HZD is a strong 8.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I did finish it. I think it's a good but flawed game. I presented my issues with it. But apparently black and white is the norm.

For me, HZD is a strong 8.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

I personally would give HZD a 10/10, with the understanding that 10 doesn't mean perfect, it just means "must-play". It definitly has its flaws, but I don't think I've ever been happier with a single player gaming experience (as happy, sure), which is why I give it a 10/10. But 8/10 is a pretty fair score for someone who takes points off for the type of things you are. Cool deal.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I do admit, I don't play console shooters. Stick aiming isn't my thing. A lock on probably would've alleviated my camera issue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you try Resident Evil 7 or Alien Isolation? Is it the FP or the S you don't like? Out of curiosity.

Speaking of genres you don't normally like, I don't usually like survival horror and totally bounced off Alien Isolation, but man, I had a lot of fun with Resident Evil 7, that was really well done. It really nailed the atmosphere and got me a few times not just with jump scares but overall creepiness. I appreciated that there was gameplay beyond insta-death hide-and-seek

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I do admit, I don't play console shooters. Stick aiming isn't my thing. A lock on probably would've alleviated my camera issue.

That'll do it.

I was actually really surprised that I didn't miss lockon. I guess I've been aiming with a stick long enough now...

I absolutely need lockon (or at least a soft lock) on my 3rd person character action games. Which is like, opposite of how it should be. 1s/3rd person aiming with a stick should be harder than pushing in the direction of enemies. I have hundreds of hours in soulsgames and in all that time I've probably played unlocked for like 20 minutes. Maybe an hour or two.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Awhile back I did a 100% Rise of the Tomb Raider run on Survivor difficulty, which has no aim assist or lockon. I feel this best prepared me to no-scope bots in Horizon on very hard.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/834054241379573760

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Do any of you use PlayStation Vue? My mom has a PS4 and a Roku and is looking for ways to save $ on cable. Do you like it? Any caveats?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

Do any of you use PlayStation Vue? My mom has a PS4 and a Roku and is looking for ways to save $ on cable. Do you like it? Any caveats?

Does your mom play Bloodborne?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Does your mom play Bloodborne?

That would be neat, but no, she bought it for the grandkids to play while visiting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best grandma.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Snak posted:

The best grandma.

Right? She had a Wii first and then about a year after the PS4 launched she noticed the kids weren't playing the Wii anymore so she asked me which one to get next. She had one before I did!

But anyway, Vue..

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ineffiable posted:

Do any headsets actually connect to the ps4 wirelessly without a dingle? Just curious.
Nope. There's been rumbling about them patching it in, but that's been going on since launch.

Imagined posted:

I only did the free trial but it was ok. I just don't watch enough tv to justify even $20/mo for it. Has a programming schedule like any other cable, price was reasonable and you can add channels ala carte.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i know i'm late to the party but nier is blowing me the gently caress away. it's so goddamn good. everything about the amusement park is loving pin point perfect

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagined posted:

I like it, I got rid of cable for it. It's improved a lot since I started using it, the cloud DVR is cool and since I live close to NYC I get the network channels as well. And it lets you use specific channel apps like with any cable provider

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Imagined posted:

Have her try the free trial and see if it works for her. May not have local channels in her area. Change in interface requires some adjustment, and some of the concepts in how the guide, channel selection, show selection, DVR etc works. Sometimes the cloud DVR can be a bit glitchy and not want to play back, some shows may block fast forwarding/back. Some previous episodes it will want to play as 'on demand' which again works differently sometimes depending on the network provider. You can't start watching a show midstream, have to start watching when it actually starts, or wait until it is finished and on the cloud DVR. Channels can disappear with no warning (e.g. Viacom channels like Comedy Central all disappeared presumably over a payment dispute a few months ago, not unusual for these kinds of disputes with cable but usually there will be warning and eventually they'll come to an agreement, none on that in this case).

Some of those may be fixed of course. Right now it's like 90% there to being acceptable for me and my wife but that last 10% of annoyances keeps us from cutting the cord.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:laffo: at Horizon having long load times. Fast travel in HZD is like 3x quicker than something like Witcher 3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It probably has some of the most inoffensive load times of any open world game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember the load times of Hitman at launch? :stare:
Holy poo poo

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just bought a ps4 pro for Nioh and Bloodborne. I'm pc gaming master race, but poo poo looks decent so far. It's also nice playing on a 42" TV. We will see how things play out.

Those games will probably both be released for pc within a month, just for the universe to spite me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sony co-developed bloodborne and published it, so you don't have to worry about that one

nioh idk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mini games in Yakuza 0 are so hilariously complex. I just did my first Majima runs a club game and I gave literally no idea what just happened.