Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Game genres can be really tough to define in neat packages.
So many transcend the normal rules we would define that I love it and the depth which video games can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Really when you think about it all games are RTS games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah for instance my real time strategy for dragon age inquisition is: turn this off as soon as possible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Really when you think about it all games are RTS games

Whoa...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames posted:

So many transcend the normal rules we would define that I love it and the depth which video games can have.

These are confusions that only 30-year old men on the internet can have, meanwhile thine 10-year old self could look at any modern game and say "Oh, that's X" and be right 100% of the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You play a role if every game, my favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard and I don't even think the driveway/parkway dichotomy is that crazy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

The best RTS is actually Pikmin

Actually it's Men of War

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its C&C red alert

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I already told you it's pikmin

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The Pikmin short animations also owned

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

These are confusions that only 30-year old men on the internet can have, meanwhile thine 10-year old self could look at any modern game and say "Oh, that's X" and be right 100% of the time.

We grow up too fast.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I do not remember that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im a 30 year old man on the internet and im still right about everything 100% of the time

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There are some genre-defying games but XCOM isn't one of them and those other games are pretty rare and 90% of them only feature some borrowed mechanics and gimmicks. What is the main thing you spend your time on in the game? That's its genre, it's really not that confusing. Games that truly successfuly blend different genres usually start defining a new genre (like mobas).

Games (especially the mainstream ones) are way more limited by genres than what is happening in other media which is the actually interesting thing to confront instead of going 'woah, AC: Revelations features a moba minigame, now you can't define it'. There really isn't some incredible genre-defying world of games out there just waiting to be discovered. Sadly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Palpek posted:

There are some genre-defying games but XCOM isn't one of them and those other games are pretty rare and 90% of them only feature some borrowed mechanics and gimmicks. What is the main thing you spend your time on in the game? That's its genre, it's really not that confusing.
alright, mass effect is a dating sim. glad we've sorted that out

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Endorph posted:

You're not wrong though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All game genres are actually just Doom with certain elements added or taken away.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Xcom has two discrete game modes which are themselves pretty easy to identify. The combat is straight up turn-based tactics. The planet view is real-time base building and threat management. You don't move between the two modes at will any time; you do one until you have to do the other. It's kind of like two games in one rather than a blend of genres.

Total War is interestingly an inverse. The two discrete game modes are a turn-based base-building and threat management with a Risk-like map and real-time tactics combat. Similarly, I'd say it's also two games in one instead of a blend of genres.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, that's why I love early games that tried weird hybrid experimentation, like Live a Live or Hybrid Heaven or Actraiser.

It's funny though that certain genres only became defined by removing hybrid elements. A loooot of old games used to be "fighting games" but incorporated platformer elements that didn't mix well at all. It took until Street Fighter for devs to realize people would buy a game that was just the boss battles in those games. I mean yeah there are technically some 1v1 fighters that came before it, but they worked so drat weird. It's interesting to see how an entire genre came to be formed through experimentation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

Is it a dating sim with a combat mini game or a combat game with a dating sim minigame? Maybe the people treating it like one over the other are enjoying it more.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The best RPGs for me are just collections of minigames

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All video games are good regardless of genre classifications.

Smoke weed, play games, that's about all you need to do.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Any game genre that doesn't end in "-em-up" is not a valid genre.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Also this post is perfect as well. In addition to my post.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There are bad video games

I mean I can't think of any but there must be at least...5 bad video games out there somewhere

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone (rope kid maybe?) once posted in YCS a good rant about how the term RPG is a totally inaccurate label for what you actually do in those games and how we should make up a new label for character evolution games and apply the "role-playing" label to wide-open freeform sandboxes like Hitman. Always kinda regretted not saving it somewhere.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

Any game genre that doesn't end in "-em-up" is not a valid genre.

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

Platformers are now Jump-em-ups :D

Also Jumping Flash is the best doom clone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh right, Pikmin, I guess I really should buy a Wii U.

In terms of RTS games I am hopeful for Dawn of War III

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you think a game you played wasn't good it only means you weren't young enough when experiencing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

haveblue posted:

Someone (rope kid maybe?) once posted in YCS a good rant about how the term RPG is a totally inaccurate label for what you actually do in those games and how we should make up a new label for character evolution games and apply the "role-playing" label to wide-open freeform sandboxes like Hitman. Always kinda regretted not saving it somewhere.

Well sure, the term doesn't really mean anything and never really has in video games, but it came about because people needed a shorthand to say "this game is ripping off donjons and dragons really blatantly" when Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy came out.

bloodychill posted:

Role-play-em-up
Real-time-strategy-em-up
Character-action-em-up
Date-em-up

Works.

I heard someone call Helldivers a "strat-em-up" and that's such an accurate term for the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just kidding because holy poo poo there are some bad games out there but it sounded observant enough to seem wise so I posted it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

haveblue posted:

rpg owns as a term because its a great example of how language evolves based on common usage and not exact definitions and hey how come they call it reality tv??

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

Just kidding because holy poo poo there are some bad games out there but it sounded observant enough to seem wise so I posted it.

Name even a single bad video game, I dare you

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
:can:MOBA:can:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Name even a single bad video game, I dare you

Godzilla 2015 is the mendoza line for bad. If its less fun than that its trash if its the same amount of its still trash but maybe somebody needs it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

rpg owns as a term because its a great example of how language evolves based on common usage and not exact definitions and hey how come they call it reality tv??

At this point I suspect there's a significant minority of gamers who don't actually know what "RPG" stands for and just know it means "game where you gain levels and skills and get stronger and stuff."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Galactic Civilizations II: The Dread Lords
American McGee's Bad Day LA*

*I was gonna just say "Bad Day LA", but then I had a sudden memory and realized its "title" is so much worse

The best RTS is Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

edit: ^ Got in an argument on reddit with some kid who said that Witcher 3 wasn't really an RPG and being able to make role-playing choices interacting with other characters isn't roleplaying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MOBAs are good games. They're good at taking over the parts of your brain responsible for empathy and patience and replacing it with jungling strats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh I meant the vitriol about MOBA being a genre when the word was being first thrown around.

Like someone would fly into a rage if you called something a MOBA

• Locked thread