Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

shortspecialbus posted:

I stand by my opinion. I'm a sucker for ridiculous space operas and I just enjoyed the heck out of that game.

FWIW I absolutely love Jupiter Ascending despite it being categorically bad in every conceivable way, so you shouldn't pay any attention to my opinion when it comes to bad space things.

I believe Jupiter Ascending may be a very good movie and eddie redmayne should have won the oscar for that role. I also believe it could have done with another hour on the running time.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

iajanus posted:

Odd question

It's not switch exclusive, but in a lot of pause menus for games I get a weird sound from my speakers on my 5.1 system. Sounds almost like the sound from an old record player when it encounters dust on the groove. Only happens in pause menus (likely when sounds are minimal) and happens in all systems I own.

The dock is plugged into an hdmi hub into a Samsung audio system (then via hdmi into the TV).

Any clues? Been happening for years.

Bypass the hub and plug straight in and see if it still happens. In some cheaper hubs/DACs/etc you get some low level static that can be heard when the volume is on but there isn't much going on.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I believe Jupiter Ascending may be a very good movie and eddie redmayne should have won the oscar for that role. I also believe it could have done with another hour on the running time.

Honestly, he's so over the top and utterly insane that it almost makes up for the scene where Stinger is talking about "I'll say it because you can't" and then some ridiculous bullshit about her being his pack.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xenoblade Chronicles is a good but flawed game. Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't entirely bad, but it abandons the stuff that made the first game good and doubles down on its weaknesses. I'm really interested in what lessons, if any, the team took from the two games and what XC2 ends up being like.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Regarding the conductive foam fix: yesterday I found an old CPU in my closet that was packed in conductive foam, so I cut off some small squares and put them in as shown at that link. (Also, I'd completely forgotten I ever owned an AMD Duron.)

Previously, my left Joycons would work fine unless I sat on the couch and let my left hand drop to my side such that my legs were blocking the signal path, in which case I'd then notice the occasional brief disconnect while playing Zelda. When using the stick controls calibration screen, I could also see it dropping signal when by my leg or cupped in my hand.

Since adding the foam, I notice far less skipping around on the stick calibration screen, and I played over an hour of Zelda with zero connection drops despite both legs blocking the signal path. I want to play with it more before I declare it completely fixed, but it does seem much improved.

I saw someone mention a different antenna fix a few pages back. If, like me, you're too impatient to mail it off to Nintendo, I'd suggest trying the conductive foam fix before you resort to soldering.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thank you for not banning me videogames i am not trying to troll i am just genuinely interested in why you guys are so excited for ARMS :shrug:

I love my switch, but that doesn't mean i can't not like Zelda axzs much as everyone else. And I wish ME was on it because even if it was a "bad" game, i still would perfer ot do all my gaming on the switch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm just gonna mail mine in, both of them if they'll allow it. I already spent the money on packing materials, so why not. My left one is total poo poo, but the right one isn't impervious to skipping if I try.

I don't use the Joy-Cons on their own hardly at all right now, but that may change when Mario Kart 8 comes out and my roommate wants to play. Also, ARMS, if that turns out to be any good. I'm just gonna really miss portable mode Binding of Isaac for however long the Joy-Cons are in transit. That poo poo instantly became my bedtime ritual.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Wendell posted:

That is legitimately the first time in history anyone has praised the Xenoblade X story.

The story is bad but the setting was amazing and I want to see other planets or other areas of Mira and figure out what the heck is going on.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Empress Brosephine posted:

thank you for not banning me videogames i am not trying to troll i am just genuinely interested in why you guys are so excited for ARMS :shrug:

I love my switch, but that doesn't mean i can't not like Zelda axzs much as everyone else. And I wish ME was on it because even if it was a "bad" game, i still would perfer ot do all my gaming on the switch.

I feel you my man, Arms is pretty much as far as possible from something that looks good and fun. And I TOO! Love my perfect Switch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Can you see how there's a fairly large gulf between " I don't get the appeal of ARMS" and " Everyone who has played it says it is bad."
?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I was annoyed that everyone kept saying to use Prime Now when mine said it could never find any Switch items. Now I have a Pro Controller for delivery this morning. Yay!

I wish I could have got it from regular Amazon so I didn't have to tip, but whatever. I've been looking for this loving thing for weeks.

So yeah, try Prime Now in the morning. Apparently.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Welp, I just bought some Nintendo stock to try to ride the Switch launch euphoria. If I had jumped in at the start of March I'd already be up like 20%, but who's counting?

Come onnnnnn, daddy needs a new Joy-Con! (not really, everything on my Switch works perfectly so far)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I feel you my man, Arms is pretty much as far as possible from something that looks good and fun. And I TOO! Love my perfect Switch.
I'm not particularly excited about ARMS but I'm also not thinking "JESUS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE" because I acknowledge that different people like different things.

But yeah a few people played it at some the Switch demo sessions and said it was fun so no, not everyone has said that it's bad.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

The story is bad but the setting was amazing and I want to see other planets or other areas of Mira and figure out what the heck is going on.

Mira was gorgeous, I liked the cheesy characters, and I'm probably one of 5 people on the planet that utterly loved the soundtrack. I'm with you on wanting to know wtf is going on. I guess when I say I like the story, I mean that I ended up caring about some of the characters and wanting to know more. A lot of the story was nonsensical but I guess I just kind of ignore that part.

I think it's one of those games that if you look for flaws, you'll find a trillion of them. If you just try to enjoy it, it's fun as hell and honestly the terrain progression from having to go everywhere on foot, then getting a wheeled skell, then finally a flying skell was great. I think you appreciate the world more because you had to spend so much time in it. If they'd given you flying skells from the start, it'd be a lot more meh.

I also utterly love playing dress-up barbie in games, and this game had a trillion options for that, and the fashion gear system meant you didn't have to worry about what the armor with the right bonuses looked like.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So I have a 128gb sd card showing up tomorrow. I've got Fast RMX, Snipperclips and BoI downloaded to my Switch.

Do I have the ability to transfer these games directly to the card?

Do I need to uninstall the games and then reinstall them to the card? Am I correct in assuming that my saves won't make it?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Got Neo Turf Masters on the Aus E-Shop.

Finally, the consoles Zelda killer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Beastie posted:

So I have a 128gb sd card showing up tomorrow. I've got Fast RMX, Snipperclips and BoI downloaded to my Switch.

Do I have the ability to transfer these games directly to the card?

Do I need to uninstall the games and then reinstall them to the card? Am I correct in assuming that my saves won't make it?

You should wait for the next update, rumors are (from refurbs getting back with bonus features) that cloud saves are coming. The ability to transfer is inevitable. but nobody knows. At least wait for cloud saves.

I don't know why you'd NEED the stuff on the SD card.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I have a 128GB sdcard coming today as well so hopefully it shows up around the same time as the switch. I was just going to format it and let the switch do its thing with it. Is there any compelling reason to try to take a more hands-on approach to this?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: ARMS and the like

I'm not sure the Nintendo Switch is really designed for people who do not, with some level of frequency, game with other people. A lot of the Switch's games and overall appeal work best in the company of others, and if that's not for you, you're probably going to be very confused as to why people are looking forward to multiplayer party games.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

enojy posted:

I don't use the Joy-Cons on their own hardly at all right now, but that may change when Mario Kart 8 comes out and my roommate wants to play.

Having played MK8 on WiiU, playing it with a single Joy-Con sounds a little iffy. There aren't a ton of controls, but it just seems like your hands would be so close together and cramped that it takes away from some of the racing / driving feel and more like you are texting on a tiny cell phone.

Deltron 3030 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 23, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bombadilillo posted:

You should wait for the next update, rumors are (from refurbs getting back with bonus features) that cloud saves are coming. The ability to transfer is inevitable. but nobody knows. At least wait for cloud saves.

You're absolutely right, I don't need it on the sd card at the moment. I'll wait for the update. I hope we get it in early April.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I had fun for like 40 hours in XCX before the cracks showed too deep. I spent like 10 more hours trying to get through before bailing. It has gorgeous landscapes that feel handcrafted with lots of neat nooks and crannies, which is what you want in open world games. It's primary flaws are:

1) Plot Pacing. The story itself moves at a glacial pace and, rather than naturally encouraging exploration, it straight up forces you to meet arbitrary exploration and resource requirements to unlock the next chapter. Through 50ish hours I had done 9 of 14(?) chapters, I had seen who I think was the antagonist twice, in confusing cutscenes in which he interacted with other characters who I didn't know, talking about things I didn't understand. I still have yet to interact with him or what seems to be his primary henchman, although I did fight another henchman.

2) Gameplay Pacing. The game has a rich and deep ground combat system that I spent a lot of time learning and mastering. Then I got skells and all that got chucked out the window in favor of a similar, less interesting system. It's baffling.

3) The world, while pretty and well made, is mostly devoid of interesting goals. You're pretty much always going to find a generic treasure chest with uninteresting "stuff". Sometimes you'll see a space trailer.

4) The way party members and missions are handled is loving insane. I found, out in the world, a quest marker to start a mission. However, I couldn't start the mission because it had a pre-requisite. That pre-requisite was that I needed to pick up a mission from a mission board back in the city, that did literally nothing except tell me to return to the spot I was already standing at, to start the mission. Also, I couldn't actually do the pre-requisite because it has a random chance to appear on the mission board, and I was never lucky enough to see it appear.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your saves will be fine. Go into the game menu (+ with game selected on home screen) and "archive". This will delete the game but keep it on your home screen and keep your save. Next time you open it it will start downloading again.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

There is so much poo poo in Zelda I honestly doubt most people will encounter or figure out half the systems in it. 60+ hours into it and I just now figured out that during bad weather merchants will sell rare goods and slash prices on their normal goods in order to get business because of people staying inside cause of the weather

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also in XCX to swap characters you had to actually go find them, and they all have their own daily schedules and move around. Everyone has a phone! Why?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There is so much poo poo in Zelda I honestly doubt most people will encounter or figure out half the systems in it. 60+ hours into it and I just now figured out that during bad weather merchants will sell rare goods and slash prices on their normal goods in order to get business because of people staying inside cause of the weather

What. The. gently caress.

What kind?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

That was a misunderstanding/hoax.

E: Not to say that it's not coming eventually.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Does anyone have a loose fitting Joy-Con? My left one is attached to the Switch with zero wiggle or play. The right one feels like it's bending backwards on the Switch. It makes this annoying creaking sound when I pick up my Switch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

What. The. gently caress.

What kind?

A big one for me was the ancient parts traveling merchant. I was having problems getting ancient cores and when it rains he'll put some up for sale to drum up sales

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah I have like 110 hours in Zelda and never noticed this.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I had fun for like 40 hours in XCX before the cracks showed too deep. I spent like 10 more hours trying to get through before bailing. It has gorgeous landscapes that feel handcrafted with lots of neat nooks and crannies, which is what you want in open world games. It's primary flaws are:

1) Plot Pacing. The story itself moves at a glacial pace and, rather than naturally encouraging exploration, it straight up forces you to meet arbitrary exploration and resource requirements to unlock the next chapter. Through 50ish hours I had done 9 of 14(?) chapters, I had seen who I think was the antagonist twice, in confusing cutscenes in which he interacted with other characters who I didn't know, talking about things I didn't understand. I still have yet to interact with him or what seems to be his primary henchman, although I did fight another henchman.

2) Gameplay Pacing. The game has a rich and deep ground combat system that I spent a lot of time learning and mastering. Then I got skells and all that got chucked out the window in favor of a similar, less interesting system. It's baffling.

3) The world, while pretty and well made, is mostly devoid of interesting goals. You're pretty much always going to find a generic treasure chest with uninteresting "stuff". Sometimes you'll see a space trailer.

4) The way party members and missions are handled is loving insane. I found, out in the world, a quest marker to start a mission. However, I couldn't start the mission because it had a pre-requisite. That pre-requisite was that I needed to pick up a mission from a mission board back in the city, that did literally nothing except tell me to return to the spot I was already standing at, to start the mission. Also, I couldn't actually do the pre-requisite because it has a random chance to appear on the mission board, and I was never lucky enough to see it appear.

I don't exactly disagree with you on any of this except point 2, which I'll get to. I think they just didn't bother me vOv

As far as skells and ground combat, the thing is, yeah, skells are different, but if you do a decent ground build, you can massively outdamage any skell in a lot of situations. You don't have the single hit killing power that the skell will have with a good G-Buster or the quick AOE kills like a good Phoenix, but with say, a Blossom Dance build (one of the easier ones to master) you can out-dps the skell by a good margin in the long term and pretty much ignore damage taking if you manage your arts properly.

It's easy to just nonstop use skells once you get them, but the ground game only goes out the door if you let it.

Edit: I will mention that to get the ABSOLUTE BEST ground builds, you need to grind like loving crazy to get gear with the right bonuses. You can still do pretty darn good without it, but there's a ton of gear grinding for the post-game stuff. Even the post-game skells. I would just listen to audiobooks while I did that so it didn't bother me really but it is kind of lovely drop rates, especially for a single player game.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 23, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A big one for me was the ancient parts traveling merchant. I was having problems getting ancient cores and when it rains he'll put some up for sale to drum up sales

That would have been useful. The armor that upgrades breaks the game. If you save and reload before a guardian fight you get new drops, you can get 2 cores to drop from one!

But I would have happily bought them with my infinite money and gems.

glassyalabolas posted:

Does anyone have a loose fitting Joy-Con? My left one is attached to the Switch with zero wiggle or play. The right one feels like it's bending backwards on the Switch. It makes this annoying creaking sound when I pick up my Switch.

Did you put your strap on backwards? That gives you permanent wiggle. #gooddesign

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever put the straps on, ever. Buy these.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Grip-Joy-Con-Grips-Thumb/dp/B01MT9RSST

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Also if you have Link be shirtless and leave him to idle he gets a unique idle animation that only plays when no shirt is equipped: he'll start flexing

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Also, I couldn't actually do the pre-requisite because it has a random chance to appear on the mission board, and I was never lucky enough to see it appear.

I was looking into this myself recently, and you can just re-look at the mission board while you're there to reload in different missions to select from, and you'll eventually get the mission you're looking for. It's still a dumb and unnecessary system, but it's not that bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also if you have Link be shirtless and leave him to idle he gets a unique idle animation that only plays when no shirt is equipped: he'll start flexing

Trying this when I get home from work

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever put the straps on, ever. Buy these.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Grip-Joy-Con-Grips-Thumb/dp/B01MT9RSST

From what I understand, 1-2-Switch will straight up not start certain games if the Joy-Con Straps aren't on.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:same:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you put your strap on backwards? That gives you permanent wiggle. #gooddesign

I never took the Joy-Con grip or straps out of the box. Pro Controller or handheld mode for me only.

I'm going to ride it out until they address this save transferring issue. My dock is a little hosed too. It's curved in like a banana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glassyalabolas posted:

I never took the Joy-Con grip or straps out of the box. Pro Controller or handheld mode for me only.

but what about when all your friends come over

• Locked thread