Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chris Farley was great as part of an ensemble, like on SNL or his smaller parts in movies. I liked Tommy Boy but I'm not sure he was ever "carry an entire movie" funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It just kinda feels like he got pushed because people missed John Candy.

Nah, he got the rub because comedy needs big fat guys, and a big fat guy willing to throw himself through tables for laughs is a gold mine.

And say what you will of Chris Farley, he's a better big fat guy than any of the modern big fat guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kevin James is the stuff of nightmares.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hell for that matter outside of Wayne's World Mike Myers and Dana Carvey don't have a single funny movie between them. It's not like Farley was any worse than his costars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

purple death ray posted:

Hell for that matter outside of Wayne's World Mike Myers and Dana Carvey don't have a single funny movie between them. It's not like Farley was any worse than his costars.

:colbert:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

purple death ray posted:

Eh, I'll give Mike Meyers the first Austin Powers movie, it was fun.

Edit:

I actually almost mentioned this too, I remember enjoying it well enough, but I also haven't seen it in 15 years, so I kind of assumed it didn't hold up so well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Who are you now?

I am the grim spectre reminding you of how you're so so old, apparently. :ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYM00rolrU&t=30s

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Yeah outside of those two timeless classic Wayne's World comedies, they didn't have any good comedies.

Except Austin Powers, which people still quote to this day, and So I married an Axe Murderer, which is a cult classic. So aside from those 4 insanely funny movies, Mike Myers wasn't in any good comedies.

Dan Carvey's career is indeed very sad, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ouch

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was a typo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I will grant half a chuckle at the first Austin Powers, but the axe murderer movie is bad, sorry.

And averaged out over his entire career you have to include the Love Guru and Cat in the Hat which almost cancel out the Wayne's World movies on their own, and that's before you even get to Shrek or the Austin Powers sequels.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 23, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thaddius the Large posted:

I actually almost mentioned this too, I remember enjoying it well enough, but I also haven't seen it in 15 years, so I kind of assumed it didn't hold up so well.

I haven't seen it in a long time, but it's the only time Mike Myers's Scottish accent has been hilarious.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

but the axe murderer movie is bad, sorry
There are a few good individual scenes, but there are huge stretches of the rest of the movie that are completely snoozeville.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He shouldn't have refused to do that Church Lady movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I will grant half a chuckle at the first Austin Powers, but the axe murderer movie is bad, sorry.

And averaged out over his entire career you have to include the Love Guru and Cat in the Hat which almost cancel out the Wayne's World movies on their own, and that's before you even get to Shrek or the Austin Powers sequels.

Oh come on, you can't start counting bad movies against a comedian's career, Steve Martin and Leslie Nielsen were in a ton of awful poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Oh come on, you can't start counting bad movies against a comedian's career, Steve Martin and Leslie Nielsen were in a ton of awful poo poo.

Yeah, you judge an artist by their best work.

(Which is why Frank Miller is still aces in my book. :colbert:)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

prefect posted:

I remember liking "Tommy Boy", but "Black Sheep" was blah and "Beverly Hills Ninja" was fuckin' terrible.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Christian-Bale-Calls-Chris-Farley-Beverly-Hills-Ninja-His-Favorite-Movie-All-Time-118417.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

But neither of them did a Master of Disguise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah outside of those two timeless classic Wayne's World comedies, they didn't have any good comedies.

Except Austin Powers, which people still quote to this day, and So I married an Axe Murderer, which is a cult classic. So aside from those 4 insanely funny movies, Mike Myers wasn't in any good comedies.

SomeBODY once told me that Mike Myers was in an excellent series of Smash Mouth music videos.

That person was a liar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh if you quote Austin Powers in 2017 you're an rear end in a top hat who should be punched in the goddamned mouth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Oh if you quote Austin Powers in 2017 you're an rear end in a top hat who should be punched in the goddamned mouth.

Rhyno is exactly like me in every way, except 1/8th as good at posting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I tend to judge by an average. I'm not saying Mike Myers isn't a funny guy, I'm saying he's got a similar track record to Chris Farley, who you said was never funny. I think they're both funny but have still been in mostly bad movies. God only knows what garbage Farley would be starring in if he was still around.

And Steve Martin along with Eddie Murphy make me so sad to think about the movies they did vs the movies they are doing now

Or not now per se but like, recently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I tend to judge by an average. I'm not saying Mike Myers isn't a funny guy, I'm saying he's got a similar track record to Chris Farley, who you said was never funny. I think they're both funny but have still been in mostly bad movies. God only knows what garbage Farley would be starring in if he was still around.

Well for one thing, he'd be Shrek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

1/6th!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Quoting Austin Powers? That sort of thing ain't my bag, baby!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

purple death ray posted:

Love Guru is one of those movies that is, in a perverse way, a sign that you've made it. Some company thought that Mike Myers should be allowed to write, produce, direct, and star in that piece of poo poo and I guess the people overseeing the process thought he could drag the material up to his level.

Compare how Johnny Depp almost singlehandedly showed that you can build a blockbuster movie around a character actor in a character actor role, and the end result of that was Mordechai.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Quoting Austin Powers? That sort of thing ain't my bag, baby!

:punch:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

Compare how Johnny Depp almost singlehandedly showed that you can build a blockbuster movie around a character actor in a character actor role, and the end result of that was Mordechai.

From what I've read, the books that movie was based on sound pretty good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

:punch:

I think you mean :judochop:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Hold still.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prefect posted:

From what I've read, the books that movie was based on sound pretty good.
Never read them, but AFAIK they were pretty good over-the-top takes on Wooster & Jeeves.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

Never read them, but AFAIK they were pretty good over-the-top takes on Wooster & Jeeves.

I love me some Jeeves & Wooster, so that's right up my alley. :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, it was 1/8th wasn't it. Well that just shows that I haven't watched that poo poo since it came out.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's bizarre to me that "he'll never be head of a major corporation" is the Austin Powers quote I see the most on SA, but that might be because I've got the OHSA and schadenfreude threads bookmarked.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Or a manager in a call centre.

Or am I being redundant?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I forget which one it was, but the opening to the one Austin Powers movie where Tom Cruise is playing Austin is still pretty funny.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Anyone want to do a short write up on the time when Grant Morrison tried to link Aquman to King Arthur of the Round Table?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyone want to do a short write up on the time when Grant Morrison tried to link Aquman to King Arthur of the Round Table?

Do you mean a literal in character "we're totally related you guys" link, or just a thematic link? Because Aquaman has pretty much always been King Arthur Under the Sea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*glub glub*
Guys, why are we trying to sit around a table underwater? It'd be just as comfortable just floating in a circle. More so, probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*hand rises up out of the water holding Excalibur*

Hey uh, "Lady"? I'm in here with you. And you should put on some clothes maybe. I can see everything.