Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

edit - for comparison's sake I think the V-2 project cost around $2bn

This is one of the Gayest of Gay Black Hitlers, but I wonder what the V-2 project would've cost if it had been an American project run by a not-at-all-dead Alt-History version of Robert Goddard or even an American-born Alt-History version of Von Braun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I have the Haynes B-29 'Owners' Workshop Manual' (really a technically-focused overview of the entire program and operational history) sitting next to me and couldn't resist tapping out this (rather lengthy, whoops) quote about the experience of maintaining it as an illustration of the price of performance:

quote:

"To all of us who worked on it, the Wright R-3350 radial engine was an object of consuming hatred. Basically, it was two nine-cylinder engines mounted on a double throw crankshaft. Voila! Instant eighteen-cylinder engine--and a mechanic's nightmare. The aircraft itself was bad enough to maintain, but those engines! The two banks of cylinders created by the double mounting were so close together that the mounting bolt flanges on the cylinder bases had to have the edges planed down in order to fit next to each other on the engine housing. This engine had a reputation of being a voracious eater of valves and rings, as well as a prodigious swallower of oil, and cylinder changes were almost as common as engine changes. There was seemingly a Rule that allowed only those cylinders on the bottom of the engine to fail. This is so that the oil can run out of the engine housing and drip ceaselessly into the mechanic's hair, ears, nose, and down the back of his neck.

So, you have pulled the cylinder, gotten your oil bath of the day, and held the cylinder in place while your fumble-fingered partner got the mounting bolts started. You've run the bolts, all twenty of them, in tight and torqued them down to Tech Order requirements. Are we done yet? Hell, no! You still have to safety wire those twenty bolts. Picture the rough-cast, quarter-inch thick aluminum cooling fins projecting from the bodies of each cylinder. Picture the cylinder mounting bolt heads three quarters of an inch away from each other and only an inch and a half away from the mounting bolts of the cylinders in the other bank. Picture the safety wire that had to be strung and pulled tight through each bolt head. Picture the bloody mess where hands used to be after you finished safety wiring twenty bolts and repeatedly dragging your knuckles across those cooling fins on each and every one of them.

[...]

Difficult as the job of safety wiring the cylinder mounting bolts was, it did not even come close to the sheer frustration and muscle cramps that were the lot of any mechanic who had to change a fuel injection pump. [...] The forward edge of the pump mounting flange was no more than three inches from the firewall separating the power section from the accessory section of the engine. When a pump was replaced it was not the bolts on the rearward half of the flange that were a problem. It was the bolts on the forward side that were bad news. Because of the spacing involved, to reach the forward-side bolts you had to reach around both sides of the pump, rather like putting your arms around a horizontal log. In order to do this, the mechanic had to lean in through the main access hatch on the side of the nacelle and feel for the holes on the forward side of the pump. With no more than three inches of total clearance back there, you were reduced to the use of fingertips just to start the threads on several of the bolts. Once the bolts were started by finger (and you were reasonably sure they weren't cross-threaded) it was juuust possible to get a socket with a universal drive on the bolt heads. Forget the torque wrench; no way. Unfortunately, there was barely enough room to move the ratchet one click. Turn one click, fingertip it back one click, forward one click, back one click ad nauseum.

Finally, with cramps in every finger, the bolts were tightened down with what you hoped was sufficient torque to prevent any gasoline leakage. With the easy part of the job finished, those rotten bolts that couldn't be seen and could barely be touched needed to be safety wired. This was strictly a feel job, and the accepted practice on my crew was to cut off a piece of wire about three feet longer than you really needed. The wire had to be run through each bolt head from the upper right quadrant to the lower right quadrant to prevent bolts from vibrating loose. The technique generally used was to feel for the appropriate wire hole with the tip of the wire. When you found it, you pushed a minimum of twelve inches of wire through the hole. This brought the end of the wire below the pump, where it could be grabbed with a pair of pliers and carefully drawn tight without kinking the wire. If it kinked, you ripped everything out and started again. All of this was going on while the mechanic was bending sideways and the edge of the hatch was digging into his ribs."

R.A. Mann, mechanic, 54th WRS

The 25-flight-hour maintenance checklist includes inspecting and adjusting all 144 spark plugs and running a cotton pad along all ~11 miles of control cabling to check for fraying.
Plus, this is Saipan or Guam, so the weather alternates between tropical torrential rain and sunlight that heated exposed aluminum enough to burn unprotected skin. Crew lockers had constantly-burning 100 watt bulbs fitted to keep spare clothes from rotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8B7oYVtNY

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Being a German in Stalingrad was really awful. Completely surrounded, below freezing temperatures, slowly starving to death. Then fewer and fewer planes start to show up as the German front gets pushed back and they lose planes and airfields. You will probably be killed in combat, but if you don't you will probably die of starvation or exhaustion after surrendering. If you survive that you are still probably going to die in a Gulag. If you don't you still aren't going home until the 1950s. I think in Beevor's book he said only 5% of the ones who surrendered ended up surviving until release.

To be honest, being a Red Army soldier in Stalingrad was even worse.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
E: on the subject of superguns, didn't Saddam try to build a massive modern artillery piece in the eighties?

Cythereal posted:

Yup, and Iron Dawn talks a bit about the Crimean War - not a lot, but a number of officers in the ACW had been observers during the Crimean War and that war also saw some proto-ironclads used.

Marinier, apparently, though I haven't found the expression a lot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

To be honest, being a Red Army soldier in Stalingrad was even worse.

Being in Stalingrad sucked for everyone involved.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tias posted:

E: on the subject of superguns, didn't Saddam try to build a massive modern artillery piece in the eighties?

Massive, yes. Modern? Debatable, since IIRC Project Babylon was largely a reenactment of the V3 idea. In any case, it was possibly designed to fire satellites into orbit rather than actual barrages, since it could not actually be aimed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hunt11 posted:

Being in Stalingrad sucked for everyone involved.

Rats?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Did the guy behind the idea die in a suspiciously Mossadic way, or is that just internet conspiracy garbage?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Did the guy behind the idea die in a suspiciously Mossadic way, or is that just internet conspiracy garbage?

Oh, Gerald Bull was assassinated. Most likely Mossad, but the Iranians were also contenders.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, Gerald Bull was assassinated. Most likely Mossad, but the Iranians were also contenders.

Probably more for his work on SCUD improvements than the supergun.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I know this is utterly subjective and dependent on definitions, but was WWI "worse" than WW2? I know a bit about WW2 and very little about WWI, but every story I ever hear about WWI makes me feel just dread and hopelessness and sorrow for the people involved. I dunno how much of that is down to how WW2 is almost celebrated here in the US and we're constantly told about various individuals and units heroics and so on. I don't want to denigrate the impact of the various intentional atrocities committed during WW2, obviously when you factor in the Holocaust and the fire bombings of Japan and Japanese atrocities against the Chinese and so on that absolutely adds a legitimate "worse" aspect to it, but I feel like if a malicious genie ever captured me and forced me to pick whether to fight in WW1 or WW2, WW2 is the no brainer.

Well, if you're American it's very unlikely you'd end up having to fight in World War 1 anyway and if you did it wouldn't be for long and it mostly wouldn't be trench warfare. WW1 for the win if you want to live, really.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

The Kaiser would like to dispute this. So too would his good friend the Emperor of Austria-Hungary. Right behind them are the Tsar of Bulgaria, the King of Romania, the King of Italy, the King of Serbia, the King of Greece, the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, the Sharif of Mecca, and some dude called Abdulaziz ibn Saud, who's rather peeved by this "Sykes-Picot agreement"...

Also, y'know, Russia the Soviet Union; Nicholas II would love to dispute this if he hadn't been shot in the head. World War 1 had an absolutely loving huge effect on the polities of Europe. It upended the continent's politics in a larger way than World War 2 did, in my opinion. We went from a 19th century world where monarchies were pretty much standard (with France as an outlier, after 1870 anyway) to the brave new world of republics for everyone. It redrew maps worldwide to a much greater extent than WW2 did.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Well, if you're American it's very unlikely you'd end up having to fight in World War 1 anyway and if you did it wouldn't be for long and it mostly wouldn't be trench warfare. WW1 for the win if you want to live, really.
you get the flu though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

*Ignores European experience of war, flails retardedly at Germans*

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Plutonis posted:

Oh yeah the Korean Turtle Ships were some real monsters as well.

Korean Super Turtle Ships complement nicely the Korean Super Admiral.

Honestly Yi Sun-Sin is hands down the most amazing military commander's story I've encountered despite wasting more time than is healthy on wikipedia.

Wikipedia posted:

Outnumbered 133 warships to 13, and forced into a last stand with only his minimal fleet standing between the Japanese Army and Seoul, he still managed to leave 31 of the 133 Japanese warships either destroyed or impaired, without losing a single ship of his own.

Despite never having received naval training or participating in naval combat prior to the war, and constantly being outnumbered and outsupplied, he went to his grave as one of few admirals in world history who remained undefeated after commanding as many naval battles as he did (at least 23).

(after defeating Japan's invasion fleet 4 times) Yi was relieved of command, placed under arrest, and taken to Seoul in chains to be imprisoned and tortured. Yi was tortured almost to the point of death by using simple torture tactics such as whipping, flogging, burning, the cudgel, or even the classic technique of leg breaking torture.

Yi died at the Battle of Noryang on December 16, 1598. With the Japanese army on the verge of being completely expelled from the Korean Peninsula, he was mortally wounded by a single bullet. His famous dying words were, "The battle is at its height...beat my war drums...do not announce my death."

Nelson may be a better known admiral who died during a decisive battle at the end of an illustrious career, but he certainly wasn't Imprisoned, tortured, and demoted to common infantry twice.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tevery Best posted:

Massive, yes. Modern? Debatable, since IIRC Project Babylon was largely a reenactment of the V3 idea. In any case, it was possibly designed to fire satellites into orbit rather than actual barrages, since it could not actually be aimed.

Uh... Isn't it impossible to just shoot things into a stable orbit? The projectile's orbit will include having to go through Earth, which doesn't exactly bode well for it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Good ever-loving God, you guys need either someone to edit/update the first posts, or you need to terminate and start a new thread. I'm interested and all, but that's out of date AF. Not a good way to bring new people into the thread.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
J K Rowling has brought this letter to my attention:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/844886895809216512

How accurate was this assessment?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fangz posted:

Abot as accurate as Hitler's "One kick" assessment. Probably less actually, as this came a week or so after the German high-water mark in the BoB, and well past any theoretical window for Sealion in 1940.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
JFK's dad was Mel Gibson levels of Anglophobic, but he had a good reason at least to be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

JFK's dad was Mel Gibson levels of Anglophobic, but he had a good reason at least to be.

Was it just because what England had done to Ireland or did the nation do something in particular against him?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is cool at how far people are pushing Total War style engines.

If you can get 30,000 characters+animations on screen that can conceivably cover a majority of either classical/pre-modern historical battles or perhaps sections of a front line for more modern battles?

Over a larger map if the characters are spread out along trenches/redoubts/fox holes how many of WWI/WWII/Vietnam/Korea could be simulated at that limit? What size of a map would we need and would we also get rear echelons to fit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

front line for more modern battles

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of how a battle happens all the way up to WWI. Like, I get what the disposition of forces would look like, how the armies would maneuver and engage, basically how a pitched battle happens. (massed lines of dudes shooting/stabbing each other) I gather WWI is typified by its lack of maneuver, so that's not to hard to understand, but say in WW2, how would two armies engage one another? Is it just assault of fortified positions? It's even more muddy in the modern era, like I have no idea how a battle between two US-peer armies would fight it out on the field. Is a pitched battle even possible anymore? Is it just a long line of small unit vs. small unit engagements?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If I understand the Airpower/Cold War thread right, it sounds like a (near) peer war would consist mainly of anything that moves and/or broadcasts a radio signal getting pasted by precision munitions fired from a bajillion miles away.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 23, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Was it just because what England had done to Ireland or did the nation do something in particular against him?

I think this is a question somebody of Irish American descent from the east coast that could maybe answer better, but from what I understand this was a thing a lot of men like him at the time felt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

my dad posted:

Uh... Isn't it impossible to just shoot things into a stable orbit? The projectile's orbit will include having to go through Earth, which doesn't exactly bode well for it.

Yes, which is why what you'd be shooting would also include a rocket motor for the circularization burn at the top.

My reading of the Iraqi supergun is that Hussein didn't really give a poo poo about it for its own sake, but it's a project that Bull sold to him so that Bull could continue his research. Hussein only agreed to fund the project if Bull assisted with the effort to modify his Scuds for extended range, which he did, and that's why the Mossad killed him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

WW1 was loving rough for American troops who fought in it. You had 100k dead and 200k wounded in what was really only about six months of fighting. It was the most American wartime deaths up to that point except for the ACW.

I mean, maybe if you're just talking about "if you were a male in the country at this time" your argument holds, but if your'e talking actual combat troops deployed abroad WW2 is a much easier slog on the whole.

Of course this is highly dependent on what your'e doing and when you get in. The dude in the 8th AF in 1942 has a significantly worse than average life expectancy and the guy who shows up on the American sector of the front in October 1918 probably isn't hosed.

WW1 was also intensely traumatic for that generation of Americans, and not just the soldiers. Shell shock and horrible deformities became culturally significant for the first time since the ACW. People thought it was entirely pointless and just a horrific waste of money and life. By the 1930s 70% of the public thought that American involvement in the war had been a bad idea, which was a big part of what drove the isolationist sentiment pre-WW2.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think this is a question somebody of Irish American descent from the east coast that could maybe answer better, but from what I understand this was a thing a lot of men like him at the time felt.

I can ask my dad (as in my actual father) about it then.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Fangz posted:

Wrong in that the BoB was never going to force the British to surrender. Correct in that the UK had absolutely no hope of invading Europe and ending the war. Their main plan was convincing the US to join the war and do their fighting for them and the anti-war faction in the US was very aware of that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Wrong in that the BoB was never going to force the British to surrender. Correct in that the UK had absolutely no hope of invading Europe and ending the war. Their main plan was convincing the US to join the war and do their fighting for them and the anti-war faction in the US was very aware of that.

Britain had 383,700 soldiers killed fighting in World War 2. The US had 407,300 killed from about three times the total population. Sure you don't want to reword that a little bit?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

feedmegin posted:

Britain had 383,700 soldiers killed fighting in World War 2. The US had 407,300 killed from about three times the total population. Sure you don't want to reword that a little bit?

Ok, "do roughly half of their fighting for them". I'm not saying they were cowards, they just had no hope of pulling off alternate universe d-day on their own, they didn't have the manpower or industrial capacity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

feedmegin posted:

He said Americans did their fighting for them, not that they did their dying. :911:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doesn't matter either way, in the end it was the Soviets doing the vast bulk of the fighting and dying anyways.

All getting the US in was ensure that France wouldn't become an SSR.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Sure but nobody knew that in 1940 when Kennedy was writing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of how a battle happens all the way up to WWI. Like, I get what the disposition of forces would look like, how the armies would maneuver and engage, basically how a pitched battle happens. (massed lines of dudes shooting/stabbing each other) I gather WWI is typified by its lack of maneuver, so that's not to hard to understand, but say in WW2, how would two armies engage one another? Is it just assault of fortified positions? It's even more muddy in the modern era, like I have no idea how a battle between two US-peer armies would fight it out on the field. Is a pitched battle even possible anymore? Is it just a long line of small unit vs. small unit engagements?

Yeah basically there's so much about how the fighting for WWI/WWII/Korea are abstracted and I'd love some massed total war engine simulation gaming of it that includes more of the overall fighting. Large enough for air cover to matter and for artillery to be present, pelting supply lines.

WarGame comes close, but I want more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mantis42 posted:

He said Americans did their fighting for them, not that they did their dying. :911:

Britain will never stop fighting Napoleon until the last drop of Prussian blood has been spilled.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cyrano4747 posted:

Doesn't matter either way, in the end it was the Soviets doing the vast bulk of the fighting and dying anyways.

And the entirety of germany and basically all of continental europe becoming a soviet client state surely.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Britain will never stop fighting Napoleon until the last drop of Prussian blood has been spilled.

Trust me, the Prussians didn't need to be encouraged to fight Napoleon. They just needed money and time to assemble the greatest staff officers of the age.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

And then they go socialist on us anyway, the ingrates :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Trust me, the Prussians didn't need to be encouraged to fight Napoleon. They just needed money and time to assemble the greatest staff officers of the age.

The Prussians and Austrians were gigantic assholes and Napoleon had no trouble finding German allies.