Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Bad Nations Worse Magic thing I just discovered:

Ramc got some gem income over there. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
TC gets just about every path other than D+B at 2, and with ME there's probably a ton of new ways to get Death magic for them.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Trip report from MoMagic: Pelagia has cast Poison Earth, causing the land to wither and die. Mighty Ermor has of coruse responded with the Acid Seas global. And with two S9 pretenders, it's only a matter of time before the meteor shower starts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Poison Earth is from Magic Enhanced - here's what it does:

Magic Enhanced v1.35 posted:

-- POISON EARTH

#newevent
#req_ench 451 -- Poison Earth
#rarity 5
#req_land 1
#req_indepok 1
#req_pop0ok
#msg "Land DeathScale increase"
#nolog
#notext
#incscale 3 -- Death
#kill 1
#end

#newevent
#rarity 5
#req_rare 50
#req_land 1
#req_commander 1
#nation 2
#req_pop0ok
#msg "Earth Assassin"
#nolog
#notext
#assassin -5152 -- Earth Assassins
#end

#newevent
#rarity 5
#req_rare 15
#req_land 1
#req_indepok 1
#nation 2
#req_pop0ok
#msg "Earth Assault"
#tempunits 1
#nolog
#notext
#com 561 -- Earth Gnome
#1d3units 493 -- Size 6 Earth Elemental
#1d6units 496 -- Size 3 Earth Elemental
#end

#newevent
#rarity 5
#req_rare 5
#req_land 1
#req_indepok 1
#nation 2
#req_pop0ok
#msg "Major Earth Assault"
#tempunits 1
#nolog
#notext
#2com 561 -- Earth Gnome
#1unit 1099 -- Poison Golem
#1d3units 493 -- Size 6 Earth Elemental
#2d6units 496 -- Size 3 Earth Elemental
#end

Killing the world I'm actually ok with, the game needs world ending Globals that require an answer in order to break stalemates. Unfortunately, Poison Earth causes assassination attempts on dozens of everyones commanders every turn - much like vengeful waters but everywhere on land and in your own dominion, and causes some quite beefy attacks on land provinces every single turn. Dealing with Poison Earth is a colossal and tedious time sink. I'd strongly recommend that anyone playing with Magic Enhanced in the future removes it. Or deletes underwater nations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bug Squash posted:

Or deletes underwater nations.

So say we all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Believe you me, the next Mo Magic Mo Problems game will not have underwater nations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How are u posted:

Believe you me, the next Mo Magic Mo Problems game will not have underwater nations.

Wow, rude :(

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Corbeau posted:

Ramc got some gem income over there. :stare:

Like Jbrereton said, TC gets like almost every path and I am site searching all over. It's ++magic sites too so well ok.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I searched D pretty hard, and he's eating me and has zotz.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Corbeau i am begging/pleading with my life to please not use super squished up 3/4 perspective-style maps in the future. Anyone who is on the fence about this please log into me in nosnek and look at how miserable it is determine where my borders are to get a taste of why this is a very bad thing to do with your maps in a strategic game. I have no PW just log in and look

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's meant to be a toggleable option. Nobody else seemed to care about the toggle, so I've let it slip while tackling other sections of the program, but the functionality is still around and can be brushed up for the eventual release.

Though if everyone else wants perspective maps when making games, I can't help you there.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Actually, the toggle still works. Guess I was keeping up with the compatibility after all.

Don't mind the splotches under/around mountains; that's a debug visualization that I'm using to test what I'm currently working on.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
thats so insanely better

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

except for the presence of underwater provinces

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think both of them look great :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

except for the presence of underwater provinces

i'mma start lobbying for more uw nations just to annoy you.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Mukip posted:

Trip report from MoMagic: Pelagia has cast Poison Earth, causing the land to wither and die. Mighty Ermor has of coruse responded with the Acid Seas global. And with two S9 pretenders, it's only a matter of time before the meteor shower starts.

this game owns

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ramc posted:

this game owns

Since Pelagia has an income of just over infinity astral pearls each turn from Astral Nexus, you can guess how long Acid Seas lasted before it was dispelled.

By my estimation Pelagia now has Wish researched, a high S pretender,and no harmful global to dispel. Watch out Ermor, and the whole rest of the world. Hope you don't have human hp mages, either.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I tested some techniques on rivers and coasts. They're nicer now. Mountains still WIP.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rivers look like they could actually be A Thing instead of the tiny little crap ones you get on in-game genned maps. Nice work.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why did the Germans never try this

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Corbeau posted:

I tested some techniques on rivers and coasts. They're nicer now. Mountains still WIP.

Rivers are effectively mountains in Heat domains, correct?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. Amphibians and poor amphibians can still cross them in summer, like mountain survival.

Vampires cannot, though it rarely matters because they have flying and can trace around the ends.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It'll be really interesting to see how these longer mountain ranges and rivers affect the strategic play of the game. Temperature and seasons may become really important considerations when planning a war.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Can you guys link me your fav Dominions LPs? I really enjoy reading them, shame the Roland Jones' one never finished.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

General Dire posted:

Can you guys link me your fav Dominions LPs? I really enjoy reading them, shame the Roland Jones' one never finished.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790658 - Currently running

There's a pair (or more) of them in the LP Archive.

2nd post in this thread has a few links, too

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

General Dire posted:

Was that the draft game that exploded multiple times before finally biting the dust? If yes, let me give you a hint, Roland was going to win.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
Is the Gabriel Pope monstrosity saved anywhere with working images?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

I ride bikes all day posted:

Rivers are effectively mountains in Heat domains, correct?

Keep in mind that the river sections without a dark "core" to them in my map gen count as normal province connections. Otherwise rivers would be absurdly obstructive. And rivers themselves are more akin to mountain passes - can move through, but with restrictions - than solid mountains.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Corbeau posted:

Keep in mind that the river sections without a dark "core" to them in my map gen count as normal province connections. Otherwise rivers would be absurdly obstructive. And rivers themselves are more akin to mountain passes - can move through, but with restrictions - than solid mountains.

Oh. So that set of provinces isn't the isolated pass I thought it was. Cool.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

I ride bikes all day posted:

Oh. So that set of provinces isn't the isolated pass I thought it was. Cool.

No, though it's still quite restrictive in practice. Not so much in peace, but when you need to be somewhere yesterday, well...

I might have to darken the deep river color to make it more obvious at a glance.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Personal opinion, but I'd say adding lines on the edges of all provinces, instead of just along borders with the same terrain, would probably look better. I have no difficulty differentiating between the forest province and the plains next to it, but for visual consistency there should still probably be a distinct border line there.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Corbeau posted:

No, though it's still quite restrictive in practice. Not so much in peace, but when you need to be somewhere yesterday, well...

I might have to darken the deep river color to make it more obvious at a glance.

You could also draw a little bridge, I've seen that done on long rivers in hand made maps.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Barono posted:

You could also draw a little bridge, I've seen that done on long rivers in hand made maps.

Much easier in a hand-made map, though I would prefer to do bridges if I can. For the moment, I'm moving on (back to mountains, then to the unfinished terrain types).

e: If I ever do peliwyr-esque roads - purely a visual thing, but cool - then it would be relatively easy to add bridges to that. But it's a significant chunk otherwise.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 23, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Not positive that I'll be able to finish this tonight, but mountain passes are finally approaching proper implementation (after about three failed iterations). I'm planning to slot Mukip's mountain pass sprites (depending on orientation) into the gaps you can see below:

There's a game jam that I'm planning to participate in starting tonight and running through the weekend, so I won't be doing map gen coding during that time frame. It's why I'd really like to finish this part first...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

"Bug Squash" posted:

By my estimation Pelagia now has Wish researched, a high S pretender,and no harmful global to dispel. Watch out Ermor, and the whole rest of the world. Hope you don't have human hp mages, either.

Trip report from MoMagic:

The lands have risen and fallen, causing devastation. Then the skies did likewise. In an instant nearly half the world lies dead. The pretender of Ermor sits clutching his precious pearls to his chest. How many of his mages died in the cataclysm? But he will wait. Wait until the caster of the Nexus has died somehow, so he can steal it's power.

Other nations of the land desperately invade the sunken castles of Atlantis to root out this evil. Will there even be anything left if they succeed?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Newbie question: in what order does reinvigoration and falling unconscious from fatigue apply? That is, if I cast a 100 fatigue spell with 1 encumbrance but have 3 reinvigoration will I fall unconscious that turn? If reinvigoration applies after, do I e.g. get a bonus 4 (I heard that is the number) reinvigoration cleaning up the fatigue of casting Summon Earthpower the turn I cast it, I assume that the same holds for the blood spell Reinvigoration, I get to 0 after cast no matter what?

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008

MF_James posted:

Was that the draft game that exploded multiple times before finally biting the dust? If yes, let me give you a hint, Roland was going to win.

Yeah that's the one haha. Wonder why he just stopped updating though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MF_James posted:

The server died after the host disappeared, but Roland was undoubtably the winner, only being held at bay temporarily by my sustained horror spam.

Highlights of that game: causing a grown man to have a tantrum and quit the game forever with seeking arrow, and handing out astral and blood boosters like I was a goddamn arms dealer to turn everyone except Roland into a horror spam engine.

Endgame was nightmarish. Good times.

• Locked thread