Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Zaphod42 posted:

Worst case, create a new uplay account?

Please do not spend $46 for the base operators holy poo poo.

Spend $46 on fancy costumes for the base operators :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I have all the base operators I want (everyone except Glaz, Tachanka, Doc, Blitz and Smoke) and I'm saving up renown for the DLC operators. It's one hell of a grind, to the point where I'm considering whether filling in surveys for cash and buying R6 credits with it might be a faster way to unlock poo poo than playing the game.

Anyway, the DLC operators look either kinda meh, or I'm not confident enough in my ability yet to use the map dependent ones (Valkyrie and Mira look fun). Obviously I'd try them all out if I had the time and money but I'm going to have to be picky. Which DLC operators would you recommend as the most interesting for a rookie player?

But I'm also considering saving up for a universal weapon skin instead, preferably as gaudy as humanly possible. I actually got the Valentine's day skins unlocked via the challenges but forgot to cash them in because I didn't know you had to do that for the uplay weekly challenges, so I'm bummed about that.

Anyhow, if I understand it correctly, I can buy a Seasonal skin like crossfader or El Dorado and apply it to all operators forever, with the exception of new DLC operators coming out after Velvet Shell? In that case I'm tempted to buy one cool seasonal skin and put that on every gun while I slowly grind out more year 1 DLC operators.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

So I have all the base operators I want (everyone except Glaz, Tachanka, Doc, Blitz and Smoke) and I'm saving up renown for the DLC operators. It's one hell of a grind, to the point where I'm considering whether filling in surveys for cash and buying R6 credits with it might be a faster way to unlock poo poo than playing the game.

Anyway, the DLC operators look either kinda meh, or I'm not confident enough in my ability yet to use the map dependent ones (Valkyrie and Mira look fun). Obviously I'd try them all out if I had the time and money but I'm going to have to be picky. Which DLC operators would you recommend as the most interesting for a rookie player?

But I'm also considering saving up for a universal weapon skin instead, preferably as gaudy as humanly possible. I actually got the Valentine's day skins unlocked via the challenges but forgot to cash them in because I didn't know you had to do that for the uplay weekly challenges, so I'm bummed about that.

Anyhow, if I understand it correctly, I can buy a Seasonal skin like crossfader or El Dorado and apply it to all operators forever, with the exception of new DLC operators coming out after Velvet Shell? In that case I'm tempted to buy one cool seasonal skin and put that on every gun while I slowly grind out more year 1 DLC operators.
Some rookie fun DLC operators would be Buck, Capitao, Valkyrie, and Caveira, to name two attackers and defenders.

As for skins, it's a loving mess. In theory, year 2 seasonal universal skins should apply to all year 1 and year 2 operators.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Jackal is pretty good imo if you're inexperienced. You can literally see footsteps of your enemies on the ground. It can be distracting and things like jammers or getting hit can seriously gently caress up your vision but it'll teach you how to toggle abilities on/off on the regular and take out roamers before moving in on the objective.

Also is rifle is cool even if they patched it recently.

Echo is the hardest to use probably but cool if you like an operator like Twitch.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Aight, super. Buck seems a bit meh honestly (not that different from sledge) but I was eyeing Jackal and Valkyrie.

As for the skins, I think I'll buy one if they apply to year 1 and Y2. Crossfader seems underwhelming in videos so it's probably going to be El Dorado. Hopefully I can grind renown fast enough for it before the season ends.

EDIT: I can't actually access the in-game store because it's not installed on my laptop. Is the ratio of renown-to-R6 credits different for operators and cosmetics, or is it constant? I'm wondering if I'd be better off using my credits for one or the other and getting the rest with renown.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Zaphod42 posted:

Worst case, create a new uplay account?

Please do not spend $46 for the base operators holy poo poo.
:nallears: It's $30 for the base game anyway so I'm paying close to non-sale price either way and I'm not going to go through the hassle of making a special account just for this game

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Aight, super. Buck seems a bit meh honestly (not that different from sledge) but I was eyeing Jackal and Valkyrie.

As for the skins, I think I'll buy one if they apply to year 1 and Y2. Crossfader seems underwhelming in videos so it's probably going to be El Dorado. Hopefully I can grind renown fast enough for it before the season ends.

EDIT: I can't actually access the in-game store because it's not installed on my laptop. Is the ratio of renown-to-R6 credits different for operators and cosmetics, or is it constant? I'm wondering if I'd be better off using my credits for one or the other and getting the rest with renown.

Buck has the edge over Sledge that his gadget has range (same with Hibana/Thermite), meaning you can blow the floor from under some poor fucker and get a kill. Works well on low maps like Skyscraper when defenders are in Work Office.

I got 27k in the bank right now, but I think I'm gonna wait until April for the new ops to drop.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Some rookie fun DLC operators would be Buck, Capitao, Valkyrie, and Caveira, to name two attackers and defenders.

As for skins, it's a loving mess. In theory, year 2 seasonal universal skins should apply to all year 1 and year 2 operators.

I'd recommend against Cav if you are new and don't know the maps very well.

Roaming and roaming+cav requires good map knowledge.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Insert name here posted:

:nallears: It's $30 for the base game anyway so I'm paying close to non-sale price either way and I'm not going to go through the hassle of making a special account just for this game

The base game drops down to $15 regularly. It's around $16 if you don't care about ~grey market~

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 23, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

diapermeat posted:

I'd recommend against Cav if you are new and don't know the maps very well.

Roaming and roaming+cav requires good map knowledge.
Yeah, second DLC defender was a far stretch for me, in all fairness. Valkyrie is cool+good, you just throw down cameras in sneaky spots/outside, and do your thing. For Caveira you need to know map, Frost is lame, Echo is unlikely to be worth the trouble, and I don't have an opinion on Mira solid enough to recommend her to a newbie either.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Man its not exactly the safest or smartest tactic, but going "HERES JOHNNY" on people as buck is so god drat satifying. That and Koolaid manning people as sledge.

Though it feels my job as both operators is mainly making ways for Glaz to kill people right now.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, second DLC defender was a far stretch for me, in all fairness. Valkyrie is cool+good, you just throw down cameras in sneaky spots/outside, and do your thing. For Caveira you need to know map, Frost is lame, Echo is unlikely to be worth the trouble, and I don't have an opinion on Mira solid enough to recommend her to a newbie either.

Bruh frost rules. Its just a better Kapkan in my opinion. I don't see kapkan traps getting many kills but I get people in my mats constantly. You just gotta get tricky with your placements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Bruh frost rules. Its just a better Kapkan in my opinion. I don't see kapkan traps getting many kills but I get people in my mats constantly. You just gotta get tricky with your placements.
I don't see many people fall in either traps. Not to say Kapkan or Frost is useless, but I struggle to think of a realistic scenario where I'd intentionally want either on my team, over some other defense operator.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
HAAAAARRRRD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGfQwPfYI-E

(mainly, I'm just laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing.)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Frost rules on a lot of dark maps. I see people getting hit in that engine room hall and a lot of weird corners in favelas at night.

Also Buff Castle by letting him castle the hallways and poo poo .Not door ways but right on the middle of hallways

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Castle just being able to make deployable cover anywhere he wants might be kinda cool, like a shield but standing height.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't see many people fall in either traps. Not to say Kapkan or Frost is useless, but I struggle to think of a realistic scenario where I'd intentionally want either on my team, over some other defense operator.

Frost is great on any point where you hold windows. When someone vaults, they have the choice of trying to kill you and fall in the trap, or kill the trap and die to you. Same for holding the hostage point if you force them to vault over a shield. Especially now that rounds are only 3 minutes too, people often don't have enough time to methodically clear them out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Frost and Kapkan are good against rushers. If nothing else the trap wastes time as they disarm it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Frost needs a can of spraypaint to blend her traps in with the flooring. As it stands the only place it really blends in is dark matting like in between the cargo containers on Plane.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Yeah she's more of a player counter than an operator counter. But if you're up against one of those teams that just likes to storm the point then you're gonna break a lot of ankles.

I like to put one trap at the very top of a staircase, like all frost's do. but then another one immediately around the first corner. The traps also blend pretty well with some carpets and dark cements on some maps.

Oh and in the objective room just to the left or right of the main entrance. No one ever runs into the middle of the room, they come in and hug the wall.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The best is to just waste the window or whatever the trap is at so they can't afford to look down it get shot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Yeah she's more of a player counter than an operator counter. But if you're up against one of those teams that just likes to storm the point then you're gonna break a lot of ankles.
It's this. The better the opponents get, the less impactful Frost is, on average.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:jerkbag:

besides anything else we're talking about a pick for a newbie

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

This glaz thing is stupid.

Fuze the room, smoke it, hop in with glaz and start securing. Anyone that even attempts to peak and spray and pray the area is a dead man. You don't even need another operator with smokes, hell, you don't even need all 3 of glaz's smoke grenades to finish the secure. It literally works every time. We stopped doing it out of boredom.

I think a cool down timer on the thermal would fix it without ruining it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

:jerkbag:

besides anything else we're talking about a pick for a newbie
Fair enough, I guess, I didn't think of that.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

bobua posted:

This glaz thing is stupid.

Fuze the room, smoke it, hop in with glaz and start securing. Anyone that even attempts to peak and spray and pray the area is a dead man. You don't even need another operator with smokes, hell, you don't even need all 3 of glaz's smoke grenades to finish the secure. It literally works every time. We stopped doing it out of boredom.

I think a cool down timer on the thermal would fix it without ruining it.

They fix his hit reg yet? I've smoked into a room, put 4 bullets into someone's chest from across the room and that didn't put him down.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Beverly Cleavage posted:

HAAAAARRRRD...

Well this is going to get abused a lot in the four weeks until it gets patched. Although looks only useful when you can use it to clip through a ceiling?

Can't use it with skylights as there's no way to "fall". I sort of got it on clubhouse but rubberbanded with the roof.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 23, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

My opinion of Frost is a little higher lately since the last time i was playing with my (newbie) friends we had an enemy team that was just rush hardcore with recruits on offense and defense.

Won in overtime with a wellplaced mat that the dude coulden't see because of all the smoke in the way :black101:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

It's ubisoft publisher weekend on steam so a bunch of the cosmetics are on sale http://store.steampowered.com/app/359550/

although the new dope rear end smoke skin isn't on sale http://store.steampowered.com/app/603510/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

diapermeat posted:

They fix his hit reg yet? I've smoked into a room, put 4 bullets into someone's chest from across the room and that didn't put him down.

"his" hit reg? That sounds like lag dude.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

HAAAAARRRRD...

Hahahaha

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

"his" hit reg? That sounds like lag dude.

Hahahaha

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/60gfzg/anyone_else_experiences_hit_reg_issues_with_glaz/df6d23f/

^^ That thread

My ping hovers around 60-80 tops.

diapermeat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Just spent, I kid you not, 5 minutes as myself and two other tried to take down the last enemy, Montagne. Secure area and he goes into a corner, shield up. None of us have nitros. Granted, there was nothing he could and it was pretty funny, but I wish there was maybe even the tiniest spot where you could hit him when people do that. Maybe not big enough that it would screw him over on the move, but just when he corners himself. Or maybe he can only hold it for so long before it goes back down.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Nickname Pending posted:

Just spent, I kid you not, 5 minutes as myself and two other tried to take down the last enemy, Montagne. Secure area and he goes into a corner, shield up. None of us have nitros. Granted, there was nothing he could and it was pretty funny, but I wish there was maybe even the tiniest spot where you could hit him when people do that. Maybe not big enough that it would screw him over on the move, but just when he corners himself. Or maybe he can only hold it for so long before it goes back down.

I've seen a few people that would go prone and that would allow them to crawl into his shield enough to shoot his legs..

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Echo can force him to retract, and you can sometimes get an angle from above or below. Seems fine, tbh, since it's not completely impossible for Monty to clutch those situations. It's not a problem in Hostage or Bomb either.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Caffeine IV posted:

Echo can force him to retract, and you can sometimes get an angle from above or below. Seems fine, tbh, since it's not completely impossible for Monty to clutch those situations. It's not a problem in Hostage or Bomb either.

https://streamable.com/4zv75

Just shows how annoying the randomness of the floorboards are at times.

https://streamable.com/cc2u3

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 23, 2017

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Aim for his foot at 90 degree angle. His shield is a bit slated, one of you can get his ankle if he is camping in a corner.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Space T Rex posted:

The less time left on the clock the more effective frost is, that goes for pretty much all but the best players and even then you can have them slip up, because people focus more on looking for mans with guns than poo poo on the floor in the dying seconds of the game.

She's a good newbie pick, for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ah sounds like it isn't hit reg so much as a bug with glaz bullets not penetrating certain surfaces/openings that they should. That makes more sense.

Nickname Pending posted:

Isn't there like one tiny pixel of helmet that goes over the shield you can sometimes get lucky and hit?

pedro0930 posted:

Aim for his foot at 90 degree angle. His shield is a bit slated, one of you can get his ankle if he is camping in a corner.

Or this yeah

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Party Plane Jones posted:

The base game drops down to $15 regularly. It's around $16 if you don't care about ~grey market~
So I guess my question is if I buy the game again on uplay (which would be cheaper than getting the R6 bux to unlock the operators) or apply a key to uplay would that "upgrade" my account to standard?

E: Actually I don't even know if you can rebuy the game like this so it might be a moot point

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Insert name here posted:

So I guess my question is if I buy the game again on uplay (which would be cheaper than getting the R6 bux to unlock the operators) or apply a key to uplay would that "upgrade" my account to standard?

E: Actually I don't even know if you can rebuy the game like this so it might be a moot point

I guess just login on uplay and see if the store will sell you the standard edition and see what happens. Contact customer support if it gets screwed up but it should probably work??? That or it will just say you already own it and not sell it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beverly Cleavage posted:

HAAAAARRRRD...

Would this work on the Kafe skylight? You can drop off that but I can't remember if you can repel.

• Locked thread