Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

What the gently caress is with the awful cinematography in this game?

Like you could have made that badly animated fight look better with some more appropriate camera angles and better editing...

game bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Ryder's face during the fight is a little too on point

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Why are the Salarians and Turians squatting so much it looks like they're pooping?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My favorite facial animation in the game is when Ryder samples a drink at the bar and then starts having war flashbacks

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

lmao

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Is this game as good as The Bureau?

Not Joking, but The Bureau was a legit good loving game. I'll defend it until the day I die.

Also, someone mentioned there was a deeper discount on Greenman, so I went there to check (it's not deeper, it's just the VIP price went global, still only 20% off bleh) and saw GMG sellling Horizon Zero Dawn and I almost instabuyed it, but then I looked around the page for half a second and realized they were just selling the PS4 PSN version.

:mad:

That poo poo's not cool Greenman Gaming. I thought it had been released on PC so gently caress you getting my hopes up like that.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

solar energy panel posted:

Why are the Salarians and Turians squatting so much it looks like they're pooping?

They're Slavic

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
why does morda sound like a drag queen doing a krogan on the snatch game?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Holy poo poo, the Architect fight. :black101:

gently caress yeah dude! That poo poo was a blast. I am really loving the game but I can absolutely agree that it doesn't make a good first impression. Which really backfires with their trial thing.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

widespread posted:

Well boy I hosed up. Can I at least train in other weapons or am I just stuck with Pistols and Shotguns for the playthrough? Because I found a lot more ARs/Snipers than I did Shotguns.

Check out this link.

Once you kill 150 targets with a weapon, or use a given power 75 times, you unlock an achievement. Then:

quote:

Once you unlock a weapon or ability Achievement, you may add the Talent for that weapon/ability to any subsequent character by selecting it as a character's "bonus talent". The option to select a bonus talent appears during the character creation process after unlocking talent-related achievements. You do not have to finish a play-through after acquiring an Achievement, as you get the bonus immediately upon the unlocking. Only one bonus talent can be assigned to a character and no additional talent points are awarded to a character with a bonus talent.

This doesn't help you, though, unless you want to create a character just to farm an achievement, then create a new character with that bonus power.

As others advised you, just be patient, early weapons are kind of bad all over, you'll eventually get something good and once you have lots of money (be sure to sell your stuff once you hit higher level weapons/armor, early ones are too cheap and are better broken into omnigel) you can buy Spectre weapons at the Citadel and you're set.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Not Joking, but The Bureau was a legit good loving game. I'll defend it until the day I die.

Agreed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Just in case it fits your budget and morals to do so, Greenman gaming has their 20% discount standard for MEA, but you can also add on voucher "ANDROMEDA5" for a total price drop down to $45.50

ANDROMEDA5 is a 5% discount on top of what's there already.

The game will very likely be cheaper or same priced in a month, but with some bug fixes and poo poo, though.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I'm a little confused by the Strike Team missions. I looked at them and I'll see that their chances for success are like 5%-- why the heck would I send anyone on those? Is there some way I can change who I send for a better chance or something I can do to increase that? Sometimes I find the UI a bit confusing, I clicked around but didn't seem like I could change it from "Lucky" or whoever the hell that is. I don't want to play multiplayer right now. Is it ok to just not do those missions? I'm on PC.

Had my first game freeze and some error message about Direct X--- couldn't read what the error was because it froze up the game (shot of the co-pilot while I was in a conversation with them) and I couldn't alt tab out to check. I tried using my second monitor to see what the issue was, but just get those little windows that pop up when hovering over the task bar. Ugh. I had just installed the new update with Nvidia. Ended up having to do a hard reboot of my computer. Otherwise, I've been bug free. I have been taking a lot of screenshots using Shadowplay.

Also, has anyone noticed their cpu and video card seems to work just as hard on the Tempest as it does on world missions? That seems really weird to me. I have a 970 4GB, i7-6700k, and 16gigs of ram...seems it wouldn't need as much processing on the ship as it does on the planets.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Nomad bad, so what. I'll tell you what.

The toggle on/off of the 6 wheel drive is dumb (and necessary at absurdly small inclines), but what really makes it bad is how clumsy it is to drive. I hated the wonky driving in ME1, where moving the aim of the cannon for some reason also adjusted your driving, now we don't have a cannon but still have the direction of travel adjusted by both sticks. As far as I can figure out one is supposed to aim the vehicle, the other just chances your POV, which also fucks up an otherwise straightforward directional command. Triggers to go forward and back are also dumb.

2/10, maybe 4/10 once I get some upgrades.

Syzygy Stardust fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 23, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my custom shep got a handsome dad

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I do this and it's fun as hell.

I've been running Throw/Singularity/Overload (to deal with shields and also it's a detonator) but I'm wondering if there's other stuff I could/should be doing instead. I miss warp :(

I've got the same three as my initial lineup (after getting eaten by shield guys while playing with Pull, Throw, Singularity) and am loving them Especially since they both detonate Singularity and if you are fast enough, Throw detonates Overload. I solved the Hardcore problem by using the Sentinel profile. It gives more survivability for zipping in and out of cover. Later, as biotic gets more bonuses that eat shields, I am wondering if I'll move off of Overload.

I know we can switch favorite profiles during combat but I really wish we had 4 powers not 3 to hand at any given time.

Also, it is just me or does Ryder have half as many shields as the squad mates?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What was the organization in the opening in ME3 with all the VIPs then? Honest question, all I know is I saw Reapers destroy my neighbourhood.

Wow, thread moves fast. I don't think they ever say what the Vancouver building is... military tribunal I guess?

Udina even talks about all his friends being dead because they were all government people he worked with on Arcturus. Which got blapped by reapers :fuckoff:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kurtofan posted:

:same: I was like drat. my dad is kinda hot and drat nice hair pops

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why does the Krogan sound like the "You're days are over, Mister" guy from Kung Pow

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
so apparently the woman who voices Nakmor Kesh is the same one who voices Josephine Montilyet from DAI?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Svanja posted:

I'm a little confused by the Strike Team missions. I looked at them and I'll see that their chances for success are like 5%-- why the heck would I send anyone on those? Is there some way I can change who I send for a better chance or something I can do to increase that? Sometimes I find the UI a bit confusing, I clicked around but didn't seem like I could change it from "Lucky" or whoever the hell that is. I don't want to play multiplayer right now. Is it ok to just not do those missions? I'm on PC.

There are Bronze, Silver and Gold missions. Your teams will gain experience over time. If they do well they might gain positive traits that make them better about some missions. If they fail, they'll get negative traits that make them weaker in some areas. Your teams gain experience whether they succeed or fail.

So generally: Send them on bronze missions or silver missions. Don't worry about sending them on missions they'll fail if you can't find good ones.

This is like those countless lovely mobile 'strategy' games.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

so apparently the woman who voices Nakmor Kesh is the same one who voices Josephine Montilyet from DAI?

Honestly, I thought it was the same woman who played Urdnot Bakhara in ME3. Sounded really similar.

doingitwrong posted:

There are Bronze, Silver and Gold missions. Your teams will gain experience over time. If they do well they might gain positive traits that make them better about some missions. If they fail, they'll get negative traits that make them weaker in some areas. Your teams gain experience whether they succeed or fail.

So generally: Send them on bronze missions or silver missions. Don't worry about sending them on missions they'll fail if you can't find good ones.

This is like those countless lovely mobile 'strategy' games.

Ok, thank you. I will keep watching them then!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i always pick the squiggly line dialogue options

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Svanja posted:

Strike Team success is a function of mission difficultly (bronze/silver/gold), modifiers (on both the mission and you team, these are really opaque), and the level of your team. Your teams start at level 1, which gives them about a 70% chance of succeeding on Bronze missions, not much on Silver, and 5% on gold. If you succeed at a mission you get experience, if you fail at a mission you get less experience, if you succeed against the odds you get lots of experience. If you "critically fail" you can pick up a negative modifier that makes your team weaker in the future.

You need to select some bronze missions starting out, then start failing some silver missions until you succeed. You can try some golds for XP once you use up all the rest, but you might pick up a negative modifier. Right now I have three teams, my good one I use for tough missions, one that picked up a negative quality I use for silvers, and a new one I'm leveling up on bronze missions with a hope that it'll become specialized for certain gold missions some day.

Syzygy Stardust fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 23, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alain Post posted:

Max Payne 2 is on the shortlist for best game ever made

drat it. Now I want to play a proper sequel to that game set in new york instead of somewhere where people speak portuguese.
The "we all have dum-dum bullets" line is the only funny one I can remember from that game.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Syzygy Stardust posted:

You need to select some bronze missions starting out, then start failing some silver missions until you succeed. You can try some golds for XP once you use up all the rest, but you might pick up a negative modifier. Right now I have three teams, my good one I use for tough missions, one that picked up a negative quality I use for silvers, and a new one I'm leveling up on bronze missions with a hope that it'll become specialized for certain gold missions some day.

This was also great advice! Really appreciate it. I'll be sending them for regular self esteem beatings today!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ditty bout my clitty posted:

drat it. Now I want to play a proper sequel to that game set in new york instead of somewhere where people speak portuguese.
The "we all have dum-dum bullets" line is the only funny one I can remember from that game.

There are missions in new york in 3. Or maybe Jersey, I can't remember. Anyway 3 was really good even if the plot was poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

post the hot dad

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Asian rydad is pretty badass looking, if a little cromagnon. It must take something from edits tho cause he had bright blue eyes just like the Sara I made

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

There are missions in new york in 3. Or maybe Jersey, I can't remember. Anyway 3 was really good even if the plot was poo poo

Yeah, there are flashbacks to jersey in 3. The game was definitely good, even though it didn't nail the max payne feel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got to the part with the Angarans and Jaal and all that. I would be very interested to know how the character design of Angarans got through testing because it is really awful. Their tentacle heads would be okay if I didn't know the horrible truth of how they work ( :gonk: ) but facially they're just basically Javik Again (Jaal even has the same accent!) and their legs look dumb. I hate them already.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

precision posted:

I got to the part with the Angarans and Jaal and all that. I would be very interested to know how the character design of Angarans got through testing because it is really awful. Their tentacle heads would be okay if I didn't know the horrible truth of how they work ( :gonk: ) but facially they're just basically Javik Again (Jaal even has the same accent!) and their legs look dumb. I hate them already.

One of the Angarans you run into later has Javik's voice actor.

Also even if you don't romance him you get to see Jaal naked from the back.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
should i be charging all the time

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kurtofan posted:

should i be charging all the time

And punching. Remember you recharge shields from punching too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Aren't Angarans Australian and Protheans Jamaican accented? Or am I totally loving up accents.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
with the packs in MP, is the general advice to buy basic packs and ignore the rest? I never played ME3 MP

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Aren't Angarans Australian and Protheans Jamaican accented? Or am I totally loving up accents.

Javik's voice actor is originally Nigerian or something I think. And he was definitely doing an African (gonna put my money on Nigerian) accent, didn't sound Jamaican at all really.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the Angarans look awful and completely half-assed, in as in the lead character designer goofed off until the day the final concept was due and threw together the first three things he could think of into photoshop

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Javik's voice actor is originally Nigerian or something I think. And he was definitely doing an African (gonna put my money on Nigerian) accent, didn't sound Jamaican at all really.

Ah that's right. I didn't really play the Javik DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Ah that's right. I didn't really play the Javik DLC.

Javik was easily the best character in ME3.