Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I feel like the way that the title for the Gaiden remake is structured leaves room for more "Fire Emblem Echoes: <thing> of <setting>" games.

Jugdral content getting an official English release would be nice, but so would smoothing out the Elibe games into one unified experience--if anything is begging for modern FE's love of children and inheritance mechanics, it's those games. So many characters in 6 that would be a lot better as returning characters from 7, or post-facto implied links made explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

azura's character is fine, it's her role in the plot that sucks

Her character just let almost everyone her son knows get murdered and refuses to explain why. She shows no sign of acknowledging that she did anything wrong, let alone repentance.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A certain plot detail is what bungles the entire story across the three games. Poor execution is the Fates' subtitle, honestly

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Fates in its infinite wisdom gave us just enough husband/wife combos to where if Male Corrin marries one of them there won't be enough to get all the kids unless he marries a Corrinsexual. Apparently they didn't learn this lesson from Awakening I guess.
They also didn't learn the "certain kids with established aunts/uncles should automatically get supports with them" lesson either. Saizo's kid does not have a support with his uncle Kaze, for instance. It's even more annoying because Fates has more of this scenario than Awakening did, so there's no excuse outside of not caring.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm kinda hoping it turns out Azura is in a similar situation to Robin, because wanting to keep hidden the fact that you're dragon satan's daughter would be somewhat understandable.

But she's being badly secretive on like, her crush from when she was eight or something, is she?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

FoolyCharged posted:

Her character just let almost everyone her son knows get murdered and refuses to explain why. She shows no sign of acknowledging that she did anything wrong, let alone repentance.

This scene does a lot to ruin Azura's character by making her seem so callous and cruel. Many of the characters who are otherwise portrayed as decent people turn out to be horrible parents, effectively tarnishing whatever good qualities they have. The entire children and Deeprealms plotlines are so poorly implemented that they ruin the existing plot and characterization. However, as others have said, all of this is just another way to say that Fates' writing needed another pass or two of editing.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

AradoBalanga posted:

They also didn't learn the "certain kids with established aunts/uncles should automatically get supports with them" lesson either. Saizo's kid does not have a support with his uncle Kaze, for instance. It's even more annoying because Fates has more of this scenario than Awakening did, so there's no excuse outside of not caring.

Camilla is the only royal sibling who doesn't have a support with Azura. In the cutscene immediately after a mission she says she looks forward to getting to know her younger sister that she wasn't allowed to interact with. :v:

Laziness or different writing teams that never communicated with each other? I belive both.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Vote end. Silas, Mozu, Hinoka, Felicia are out

I like how I forgot to add Orochi and no one noticed.

-----------------------------------------

C Support

Hoshidans talk SO much!

I have no idea why they would pick you.

Are you crazy? I don't play with dolls. And I never have!

And how dare you call me crazy!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

Seriously Azama, gently caress off. Never really used him in my own playthroughs as I both didn't need another healer and I didn't particularly care for the brief few bits of his introduction, but virtually every support being shown off for him just reinforces that impression and makes me like him even less.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Endorph posted:

azura's character is fine, it's her role in the plot that sucks

Nope, her character is just as bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

by that standard every character in the game is bad, because they're all total monsters when it comes to their kids

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

by that standard every character in the game is bad, because they're all total monsters when it comes to their kids

Eh... I mean, they're all horrible parents, but the level of bad varies.

Some are just at "Cat's in the cradle", some are worse than that.

And Azura's... Azura's kinda the worst.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Seriously Azama, gently caress off. Never really used him in my own playthroughs as I both didn't need another healer and I didn't particularly care for the brief few bits of his introduction, but virtually every support being shown off for him just reinforces that impression and makes me like him even less.

Azama is the best character in the game.

Endorph posted:

Sounds right to me.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Azama is the greatest and treats the cast as they deserve.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Corrin: "By the way, I'm going to marry your daughter"
Other person: "Could you wait until they are at least a week old?"

And from what we've seen of this game:

Other person: "Also, that's your niece/nephew."

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Azama is a witty, layered character, which is more than you can say than most characters in Fates.

Too bad we're only getting C-supports for the non-couples. Azama's C-supports are good for a brief chuckle but it's his later supports that make me really appreciate him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're getting BA for everyone, I'm just slow at it for whatever reason, and also recently Nier: Automata taking up my support making time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

blizzardvizard posted:

Azama is a witty, layered character, which is more than you can say than most characters in Fates.

Too bad we're only getting C-supports for the non-couples. Azama's C-supports are good for a brief chuckle but it's his later supports that make me really appreciate him.

I'll need to check those out because so far the only layer of Azama I see is 'calls everyone else out on their schtick like a dick.'

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silas, Mozu, Hinoka, and Felicia are out. Having one of my fliers out hurts a tiny bit.

The boats alternate being joined on the middle ship, and the gap takes like 4 movement to fully move over. That's better for the enemy than us, because boarding them is more risky for the team than the enemy.

These enemies are probably going to be a little tougher than the upcoming story chapters because of how weird the scaling works. These maps show the biggest obstacles in Birthright, which are gobs of HP and just needing to hit hard once with a silver weapon.

Rinkah is sent to handle the bottom ship, which is a bunch of bow users and mages.

Rinkah is real feast or famine here with her growths since becoming a Dread Fighter.

You remember how extremely bulky Scarlet is? Well when grunts are doing 17 damage to her, you know they're packing some serious heat.

Scarlet ads to her impressive stats, but more importantly learns Rally Defense which will now makes her an excellent support unit when not killing things left and right.

Some more clearing out of the mages below. Both sides hit pretty hard, but my units that resist magic really resist magic. And the mages die way easier than the 50+ hp Zerkers up north.

Kaze hasn't missed a beat despite being out of commission for a while. Turns out doubling every single enemy with Poison Strike+debuffs is relevant regardless.

Azura and Kaden clear out some more troubling mages, thanks to Oboro making them slow and brittle.

Kaden maxes out his level, looking pretty decent for a not-myrmidon.

Is he just going to go back and forth on speed and defense til forever

How do you have 31 HP

HOW

That was lucky. Unfortunately as great as Oboro is as a mass wall debuffer, her killing ability has been hampered a bit because her speed's kinda bad.

It's a good thing Azura has that absurdly high speed, because her actual hitting power is really mediocre. And good god, 23 HP. You might be on permanent HP Tonic from now on.

Rinkah and oddly enough Sakura are the only ones that can reasonably kill a Zerker by themselves in one round. The rest need a ninja debuff+poison to take one out, and that requires leaving that ninja to be vulnerable.

Mythical fox evolves to another mythical fox. It's a race on who gets to 40 HP first.

Rinkah is now randomly also in the race for 40 HP. No seriously, what?

That new Dual Shuriken is working really well for Kaze. Takumi probably needs to chug down a speed tonic for future battles, because One Big Hit is kinda lackluster at this point when even Azura outdamages him DPS-wise.

A wet fart of a final level, also he missed HP twice despite having almost double the HP growth of Kagero and Rinkah.

We haven't seen an actual not-broken or not-awful samurai, but Duelist Blow's main use is to effectively get 6 charges of guard meter for free during an attack.

Yeesh, that's really not good stats for a level 20 guy.

Kagero's sorta back to normal for this level.

Takumi turns into a sniper as per my rule of showing off each promotion whenever possible

Good for Takumi is that promoting to Sniper solves a LOT of his issues, especially speed.

I think the sword part of master ninja is only useful if Corrin is one, because the Yato is E rank.

She gained some strength, which is the important part.

17 speed after promotion is starting to creep into Orochi territory. She is absolutely reliant on her own Seal Speed to get some offense going.

drat it, Azama

Well uh, he still maxed out his level. I guess.

Man, those stats don't look so awesome nowadays.

Well, that was certainly a map.

Class Overview

Nine-Tails

Pair-up Bonus: +5 SPD, +3 LCK
Weapon rank: Stones (S)
Skills: (lvl 5) Even Better-Recover 40% HP at the start of even-numbered Turns
(lvl 15) Grisly Wound-The enemy’s HP is reduced by 20% after the battle

Nine-Tails takes advantage of being a Not-Myrmidon with massive HP by getting good, occasional healing every other turn. Grisly Wound is decent and it stacks with Poison Strike if you're asking.

What makes Grisly Wound good is that it triggers no matter what after battle, meaning archers and mages that safely hit Kaden will still get hit by the 20% HP loss.

Sniper

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR, +3 SKL/SPD
Weapon rank: Bows (S)
Skills: (lvl 5) Certain Blow-When user triggers the battle, Hit rate +40
(lvl 15) Bowfaire-When user is equipped with a Bow, damage +5 during battle

Bowfaire is great. Certain Blow only exists to get stolen by other classes like say Scarlet with that horrible inaccurate axe but has like 55 crit. Because otherwise it's a long con troll by Intelligent Systems to give "BE MORE ACCURATE" skills to Snipers for years.

Master Ninja

Pair-up Bonus: +2 SKL, +4 SPD, +1 MOV
Weapon rank: Swords (B), Hidden Tools (S)
Skills: (lvl 5) Lethality-Skill x 0.25% chance of instantly defeating the enemy when dealing 1 or more damage
(lvl 15) Shurikenfaire-When user is equipped with a Dagger, damage +5 during battle

It's a ninja that hits harder with shurikens. Can on the off chance kill really badly, but the nature of ninjas are very different from Assassins in previous games in which they needed Lethality to be super useful.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

I like how I forgot to add Orochi and no one noticed.

Like she'd get in if you had?

Tae posted:

Hoshidans talk SO much!

Rinkah, he's just trying to give advice so you can be a better warrior. CHILL. (Of course, statistically speaking it'd probably be better to tell her to work on her offense, but Rinkah The Character is the polar opposite of Rinkah The Unit.)

Tae posted:

I have no idea why they would pick you.

Honestly, this is one of the few Subaki supports where I sympathize with him; all the others portray him as insufferable, while in this one he comes off as legitimately and justifiably worried about the consequences of not taking care of something himself.

Tae posted:

One of the few support trees where Azama not only doesn't get off scot-free for his trolling, but actually comes off WORSE than his intended target. Also: People say talking to yourself is weird, but some people (me, for instance) think better when they do so, and I'm sure it happens a lot more often than people will admit.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Lord Koth posted:

Azama being mean to all the other units is fantastic though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Every single person Azama gives poo poo deserves it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Rinkah's growth in HP is because she was inspired by Corrin's dedication to Speed.

Oh Master Ninja, you and your Lethality. Combine it with Hoshidan Unity and Quixotic for fun and profit. Skill doesn't matter at that point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That means I love you in dragon

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

Its more the bit that her lust for secrecy got a village full of people murdered than her just being a bad parent. Go back and reread that pre mission briefing, the one time she shows remorse is for her son getting pursued. A whole bunch of people are dead because of her and she doesn't even give them the time of day.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Genuine question, how do promotions work in this game?

When I played through Birthright, I got to level 15 and master sealed, but stayed level 15 - I seem to remember awakening reseting my level to 1. What's the deal?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Huh? If you promote, you should go down to Level 1. If your level is the same after class changing, are you sure you didn't use a class-swapping seal instead? Like a Friendship/Heart/Partner seal?

What was your original class before and what's your class now?

Also Master Ninja Kaze is my good friend. I like the fact he doesn't die in one hit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uh are you talking about second seals

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tae posted:

Uh are you talking about second seals

No, master seals. I flipped Corrin at level 15 to his promoted class, and he stayed level 15.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Are you sure you did this recently, because you are literally describing how class changing works in fates compared to awakening.

Awakening reset your level if you second seal but keep your stats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

No, master seals. I flipped Corrin at level 15 to his promoted class, and he stayed level 15.
that isn't how that works. master seals reset your level to 1.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This birthright run was maybe 9 months ago, but I'm pretty sure these were master seals I used. Bought them from the store.

When's the best time to use master seals then, when you hit level 15 in your base class?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when you hit level 20 in your base class, unless you need the stat boosts immediately for whatever reason

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

tithin posted:

This birthright run was maybe 9 months ago, but I'm pretty sure these were master seals I used. Bought them from the store.

When's the best time to use master seals then, when you hit level 15 in your base class?

Generally, people promote when they hit the level cap and no sooner. I don't think anyone has any idea what's up with your game- as has been stated before, master seals reset your level to 1, while all the others keep your old level (and yes, you can buy Heart, Friendship, and Partner Seals).

Maybe you should tell us what class you went from and to, in specific? Spoiler it if it hasn't been seen yet (I'm under no illusions about whether we've actually seen everything this game has to offer).

Honestly, if you really did actually promote, maybe you're just forgetting the grinding needed to get back to 15- I tend not to remember tedious stuff when I'm finished with it (probably repression).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shigure, weren't you all gung-ho about avenging your friends? Why weren't you playable

I slipped away to your Deeprealm for a moment. These invaders... They razed your village. There is no one left. Everyone who took care of you in my stead, all of them are—
EVERYONE? Ohhhh... No, no, no... NOOOO!

Wait, how does this Deeprealm thing work that you can sneak a peak anytime you want?

...Anyone? Helloooooo?

...I'm sorry. If we'd come sooner... That is, if only I'd warned you about them...

WHO WERE WE FIGHTING

No. You and your friends have clearly known these evils and more. I'm at fault for being a child too long. My eyes have been closed.

You actually been a child for like 2 minutes in our time.

I can imagine, a little, what it must feel like to live in your world. Still you find it in yourself to sing. And so must I.
Sing? What are you going to sing?
You know the song well, Mother.

*Shigure sings the Gray Ocean thing*

You plan to sing it as a requiem for your dead? How beautiful.
Even beyond the clouds, your friends will be moved to tears. Surely, a melancholy rain will fall upon your village.
Mother! But what am I to do now? Everyone I knew, except you—
Ah, I have no choice but to find another place to hide you.

Uh...what? How is that going to work this next time when the last time was a complete surprise to you?

You're not thinking this through, girl

What's that? Son, you must stay safe!
No. My friends lost their lives trying to save me. I need to learn to protect myself. I need to get strong enough, so I can make the same sacrifice for others.
Very well, Shigure. But you must let me protect you when I can. You cannot deny your mother that.

With your HP?

Let us make it a duet, Son.
Yes, Mother. It will be my honor.

*Back at the dragon dimension*

I'm hooooome~

Thefuq?

Of course you do! But why am I here, you must be pondering? Well, I got to thinking. I should 'do my part for hair everywhere! So I decided to fight by your side...and I was suddenly here!
It's so kind of you to welcome me so warmly to Team Corrin!

So yeah, Izana joins you after chapter 18 if you upgrade the Hot Springs to level 3. It's one of those weird character requirements in Fates.

Units joined

Shigure

Class sets: Starts as Sky Knight, Troubadour, Ninja
PSkill: Perfect Pitch-Allies within a 2 tile radius who have lower HP than the user recover 10% HP when the “Rally” command is used

Growth Rates
HP: 37.5
STR: 57.5
MAG: 25
SKL: 62.5
SPD: 47.5
LCK: 60
DEF: 40
RES: 37.5

If you wanted another copy of Azura but slower, here's Shigure. He has way more HP than mom, but a less stable speed growth by comparison and his PSkill is kinda garbage.

Izana

Class sets: Starts as Monk, Samurai, Apothecary
PSkill: Peacebringer-Allies and enemies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 less damage
HP: 45
STR: 15
MAG: 55
SKL: 65
SPD: 45
LCK: 45
DEF: 35
RES: 50

Izana is a much needed spellcaster as far as needing to have anybody use the higher level stuff. His stats are a bit underwhelming when compared to Sakura, but he starts off with B in spellcasting and no one else currently in the party is even a D rank there. And a good ole Horse Spirit can fix those problems right up.

Peacebringer is an interesting ability because it's like Sakura with a tiny downside. By tiny, I mean that your units surviving is far more important than dealing damage, especially since Corrin's team will have constant debuffs going on. It also makes Izana slightly more durable because the wording affects enemies as well, compared to Sakura which only mentions allies around her.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Shigure - He's rather heavily skewed towards offense, but at least he's more durable than Azura (not that that's saying much, since Azura's one of the two flimsiest characters in the game, possibly even including generics)- which is probably aided by however his father modifies his growths. His personal, though, is almost completely worthless, if only because of that "lower than Shigure's HP" detail (he doesn't start with many, his growth is less than stellar, and you can't compensate with a tough class without relying on his father to give him one). His personality... bland, almost to the point where I question whether he actually has one.

Izana - Very much a pure caster, which makes one wonder why he's got so many physical classes available to him. Aside from that, he's geared towards defensive battles, for the most part, partly because of his surprisingly respectable growths for a mage and partly due to his personal skill. As a character? Goofy. Very goofy. I like putting him in charge of my prison (I think I've mentioned this before, haven't I?). "Here I cooome! He-hey! Take this! Prepare to be judged!" *CRASH!* "Oops... sorry!"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, we've recruited Dist the Runny to our ranks. Let's hope he turns out well.

As for Shigure, congrats on having a bad mother and a father who is a hardass, I guess? At least you won't have to deal with the Saizo line like your younger brother will have to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I have one more heart seal available, and currently no master seals so Azama will be sidelined for the next mission regardless. Anyone jumps out for a heart seal change or keep it? Next mission is story, so Saizo's kid will wait.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I love Izana. I'm not exactly sure why, but I do.

Maybe it's the fabulous hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to alternate between child paralogue and story if it isn't obvious. Will make story seem a bit erratic, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Unless you just want a straight run through of all of them at once.

• Locked thread