Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I like when people are angry at each other and yell. They talk in their loud voices and say things like "gently caress you!!" Maybe someone gets stabbed in the throat and while they're bleeding they have this look on their face like they can't believe they've been betrayed. Sometime later somebody in the episode talks about doing anal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

also I think westworld might suffer from being multiple seasons. I think season 1 should have been the end with dolores getting or failing at attaining sentience. all the poignancy feels robbed now that we have a future season 2 of "robot murder rebellion/now the guests are trapped (we're so clever)".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Who didn't see a robot murder rebellion happening I mean come on. The only surprise is that it took 10 episodes to get there.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that character just got stabbed in the throat in a horrible betrayal, if they don't hang on for life and stop the bleeding they may be completely fine with at best a vague memory of the incident 10 minutes later in the show

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Zmej posted:

also I think westworld might suffer from being multiple seasons. I think season 1 should have been the end with dolores getting or failing at attaining sentience. all the poignancy feels robbed now that we have a future season 2 of "robot murder rebellion/now the guests are trapped (we're so clever)".

That too, for a 10-hour show everything in the first season feels really rushed. They really could've kept the mystery elements of the show at a low hum for the first couple episodes while they had some fun with the concept of the park and its employees, but instead they seemed so impatient to get to the robot uprising that they just sprinted right through the setup to get to the ball-numbing "oh my GOD did you hear that it turned out that Herbie was a robot and so was Jimbo the Janitor???? I read an article about it!" bullshit

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Man vs Nature
Man vs Man
Man vs Himself

Seriously if you want to talk about what makes good conflict in a story you probably shouldn't exclude 2/3rds of the possibilities.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I generally had a good time with the show (it got a little silly but the whole concept was silly from the start - I can't imagine getting worked up about it either way) but two characters stuck out as particularly bad and made the show notably worse imo. One was that really-angry-for-no-reason white dude who was in charge of repairing the robots. He was always yelling at the Asian guy and I don't know why. He was probably the worst actor too. Liam McPoyle's brother-in-law was excessively assholish for seemingly no reason too. Those two felt like they were from another show entirely - something on the CW or SyFy, maybe. Just really shallow characters and tonally off.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dmitri-9 posted:

Man vs Nature
Man vs Man
Man vs Himself

Seriously if you want to talk about what makes good conflict in a story you probably shouldn't exclude 2/3rds of the possibilities.

You forgot Man vs. Robot

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Dmitri-9 posted:

Man vs Nature
Man vs Man
Man vs Himself

Man vs. Food as well

I honed in on this one kind of conflict because it is almost completely absent in the show. It's not the only way in, but it's definitely one that the show could've used. Any one of the ostensibly human characters could've gotten killed at any time and no one on the planet would've noticed or cared. Compare this to every time someone catches a bullet on The Wire, it's something important that causes other characters to react or, you know, actually do something for once

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They are robots. They can't feel things, just do what they're programmed to do. The whole premise is really flawed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I see we've settled nicely into the "No You Idiots It Was Never Good" phase for critically acclaimed and audience beloved Westworld.

Can't wait for Phase 3: Actually No It Was Really Was Awesome I Totally Forgot HaHa How Silly Of Me (due to arrive roughly when a season 2 teaser comes out)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

powerful sex moves posted:

I generally had a good time with the show (it got a little silly but the whole concept was silly from the start - I can't imagine getting worked up about it either way) but two characters stuck out as particularly bad and made the show notably worse imo. One was that really-angry-for-no-reason white dude who was in charge of repairing the robots. He was always yelling at the Asian guy and I don't know why. He was probably the worst actor too. Liam McPoyle's brother-in-law was excessively assholish for seemingly no reason too. Those two felt like they were from another show entirely - something on the CW or SyFy, maybe. Just really shallow characters and tonally off.

"It is the way one treats his inferiors more than the way he treats his equals which reveals one’s real character." They are the griefers of this viddeogabe. When you take consequences from some people they act like assholes because they are assholes.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Paladinus posted:

They are robots. They can't feel things, just do what they're programmed to do. The whole premise is really flawed.

Yeah, I'm talking more about the horny malcontents that run the park. Their stuff kind of needed to be more fleshed out to make up for the robots having Finding Dory-level short term memory

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

priznat posted:

Who didn't see a robot murder rebellion happening I mean come on. The only surprise is that it took 10 episodes to get there.

Yeah, it only took a bit over an hour in the 70's movie.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

powerful sex moves posted:

Right, these were the two worst offenders I think, especially beardo technician guy. The show's writers seemed to have this idea that the base-level interaction for any two characters should be fighting all the time or trying to get each other fired. Their poo poo should've been more "gently caress, do I cover for my friend who's doing shady and potentially dangerous stuff or do I turn him in to protect myself?" Instead, essentially immediately beardo's like "I'M TELLING OUR BOSS ABOUT THIS," as though he was just waiting for the first excuse to do it. Which immediately destroys any narrative tension that could've been mined from that problem and relationship.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FrensaGeran posted:

I see we've settled nicely into the "No You Idiots It Was Never Good" phase for critically acclaimed and audience beloved Westworld.

Goons never change.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Squashing Machine posted:

Man vs. Food as well

I honed in on this one kind of conflict because it is almost completely absent in the show. It's not the only way in, but it's definitely one that the show could've used. Any one of the ostensibly human characters could've gotten killed at any time and no one on the planet would've noticed or cared. Compare this to every time someone catches a bullet on The Wire, it's something important that causes other characters to react or, you know, actually do something for once

Marlo killed a hundred nobodies without the newspapers or police brass noticing, walked away scott free and still couldn't resist the urge to be a street rat. Inaction is as much a part of the Wire as action is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you people never go to the movies and just watch TV all the time?

Plz discuss current movies :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RLM has made movies obsolete though??
I saw two movies over the span of the last 12 months. R1 and Arrival. I saw R1 before the half in the bag came out and saw Arrival after. If I had waited I would not have had to have seen R1.
Sometimes RLM will tell me all about a good movie and show me scenes and tell me why it was good to the point that I don't even need to see it to enjoy it! It also helps me avoid bad movies (90% of them).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FrensaGeran posted:

Can't wait for Phase 3: Actually No It Was Really Was Awesome I Totally Forgot HaHa How Silly Of Me (due to arrive roughly when a season 2 teaser comes out)

What is more goonish

Complaining about vaguely popular things

Or thinking that mindlessly echoing the popular opinion makes you mature and cool, unlike the dumb goons who are stupid because they don't like the same things as me and the blokes and everybody else

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It's the first one, the complaining one.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

What is more goonish

Complaining about vaguely popular things

Or thinking that mindlessly echoing the popular opinion makes you mature and cool, unlike the dumb goons who are stupid because they don't like the same things as me and the blokes and everybody else

vaguely popular, lol.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Arrival was kinda dumb :colbert:

edit: I previously defended Independence Day: Resurgence and do not regret that decision.

Also Westworld is good even though people seem to be sperging out here about how characters are killed when they can't actually die so they goonishly take offense at this somehow

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't watch any pleb "TV" or "movies". I just form my pop culture opinions based on what the gang say. Saves a lot of time.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

vaguely popular, lol.

At least he didn't use the word "hivemind"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

cinema is a dying medium

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Dmitri-9 posted:

cinema is a dying medium

With all the merchandising out there I'm wondering if movies are turning into an excuse to tack on product tie-ins. It's nothing new, but I'm beginning to think every blockbuster/family film/superhero movie has a McDonald's toy ready before their release date.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

cinema is a dying medium

Yeah for sure. I fuckkng hate this trend of everything going to Netflix.

Gimme the cinema any day. As soon as Daniel Day Lewis appears in a HBO show or Netflix movie, it's game over.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

vermin posted:

With all the merchandising out there I'm wondering if movies are turning into an excuse to tack on product tie-ins. It's nothing new, but I'm beginning to think every blockbuster/family film/superhero movie has a McDonald's toy ready before their release date.

are turning into?

you dont remember the 80's do you

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

vermin posted:

That's an old problem. The Joel Schumacher Batmans grossed $X million but the real draw was the toys raking in $X billion decoupling quality from profitability.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just saw a trailer for Baywatch, the Rock is cool & good so it looks funny

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Yeah for sure. I fuckkng hate this trend of everything going to Netflix.

Gimme the cinema any day. As soon as Daniel Day Lewis appears in a HBO show or Netflix movie, it's game over.

Scorsese and Spielberg are both 70 pretty soon it'll just be PT Anderson to keep him in films. I just looked it up and Meryl Streep is doing her own prestige TV show with JJ Abrams.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Speaking of remakes, anime, and Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Paladinus posted:

Speaking of remakes, anime, and Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

I'm really hoping that's Willem Dafoe I heard at the end. He'd be perfect to play a bug-eyed demon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It is

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. F! posted:

vaguely popular, lol.

The most viewed episode had audience of 2M. That's 1/5 of GoT, for comparison.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did Mike and Jay do a shill review of West world or are you idiots from TVIV?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I dunno if they'll review it but I saw Life yesterday and it was insanely generic sci-fi stuff. Imagine the plot of Alien but with the cinematography of Gravity and that's pretty much all there is to it.
It's better than Gravity (which forgot you need to have a good movie to back up your show off cinematography) but obviously not even close to Alien.

I thought it looked like a cheap new-age Alien wannabe from the trailer, i'm a sucker for Gyllenhaal though.

Wtf is up with these generic sci-fi movies lately like Passengers & Life? I feel like space sci-fi movies were somewhat rare up until Interstellar / Gravity, and now we're getting multiple sci-fi stories in space every year. I guess this is going to be the new hollywood fad for the next few years.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snatch Duster posted:

Did Mike and Jay do a shill review of West world or are you idiots from TVIV?

They did a review of it. They LOVED it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Crabs posted:

The Arrival was kinda dumb :colbert:

edit: I previously defended Independence Day: Resurgence and do not regret that decision.

Also Westworld is good even though people seem to be sperging out here about how characters are killed when they can't actually die so they goonishly take offense at this somehow

Go watch John Wick, both of them.

Independence Day:R was an enjoyable pew pew kill aliens movie if you excised all the CCP propaganda. It was fascinating to see a character inserted to be a propaganda piece done so blatantly in a western movie that if cut would improve the movie without causing any collateral damage. It was more ridiculous than "Product placement doctors" saving Tony Stark.

• Locked thread