Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

SilverMike posted:

Page 146, Payoff has those guidelines.

Sweet, thank you.

Does that seem like strange placement to anyone else? To me that is something that the players are going to want to know going into the job, so I kept looking for that info in all the score creation rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I guess it's implied that the 'score' is rarely just a sack of money, it's a collection of prized paintings or fine silver dinnerware or a jar of ghost juice or something. The 'payoff' is what you get when fencing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Have they put out a PDF with bookmarks yet?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yes, ten days ago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Harrow posted:

I don't feel like I can really understand an RPG until I have my paper copy in front of me, so I can quickly flip pages back and forth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes, ten days ago.

Sweet, I clearly wasn't paying attention.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
They also just put out the special edition with an extra city's worth of information just yesterday.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Are many people hacking Blades in the Dark? Because Blades on the Borderlands will simply not get out of my head until I write it. (And as The Old School Job in Cortex+ said "What is a dungeon crawl but a poorly-planned heist")

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

neonchameleon posted:

Are many people hacking Blades in the Dark? Because Blades on the Borderlands will simply not get out of my head until I write it. (And as The Old School Job in Cortex+ said "What is a dungeon crawl but a poorly-planned heist")

oh my yes

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Isn't this just the Blades Against Darkness stretch goal? There is a draft out there somewhere.

Edit: the early draft is here

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neonchameleon posted:

See I misread this at first and my mind went to the game Tales From the Borderlands instead, which also seems like it should work.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If I pre-order the hardcover will I still get the digital version? nevermind, i figured it out.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 22, 2017

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

thefakenews posted:

Isn't this just the Blades Against Darkness stretch goal? There is a draft out there somewhere.

Edit: the early draft is here

Hadn't seen the draft, thanks. I see where it's going but Blades Against Darkness covers about a third of the territory I want to, from more rather than less focus on territory through replacing Wits/Resolve/Vigor with Ref/Will/Fort to a (small) Monstrous Manual with clocks for dragons.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Would it be broken to start as one of the dead playbooks?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Would it be broken to start as one of the dead playbooks?

Broken? Nah. You'll have more base skills then the rest of the group, but in exchange you'll have more severe downsides. Make sure it's alright with the GM and other players but it shouldn't warp the game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Some basic design notes for Blades on the Borderlands. Thoughts? (And no it's not even close to working yet and there's a lot more in my head).

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Has anyone hacked this for Scifi/cyberpunk or the like? Also, I hear there are more crew playbooks and other playbooks coming besides the ones in the core?

If so, where can I find these? Do I have to have backed?

Nea fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2017

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Neopie posted:

Has anyone hacked this for Scifi/cyberpunk or the like? Also, I hear there are more crew playbooks and other playbooks coming besides the ones in the core?

If so, where can I find these? Do I have to have backed?

There's already an alpha for 'I can't believe it's not Firefly' out, called Scum & Villainy. I believe there's also going to be Null Vector, a Ghost in the Shell themed cyberpunk hack; Womb of Night, a space pirates in a 40k-alike setting and Throne of the Void, a Dune/Rogue Trader style hack.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

But the others aren't out yet, I'm gathering. Alright, I'm thinking about running a sort of... mecha anime and cyberpunk game using this, and I'm trying to figure out just how much I need to hack.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What sort of mecha anime would you represent with Blades' plan-execute-regroup gameplay loop?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Neopie posted:

But the others aren't out yet, I'm gathering. Alright, I'm thinking about running a sort of... mecha anime and cyberpunk game using this, and I'm trying to figure out just how much I need to hack.

At the moment, you'd need to hack quite a lot. The Hull playbook could get you quite far for all your giant robot needs, and the ghost field can easily be renamed to be the Cybernet without really losing anything, but most of the animeness and cyberpunkishness is going to come from refluffing. Blades does grungy *punk dystopian underworld very, very well so if that's what you're looking for in your game then it should work well. If you want, well, a mecha anime then you may have your work cut out for you.

I would recommend Tokyo Nova for all your mecha anime cyberpunk needs, by the way. It's Shadowrun written by crazy Japanese people and it has both mecha anime and cyberpunk coming out of it in spades.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Siivola posted:

What sort of mecha anime would you represent with Blades' plan-execute-regroup gameplay loop?

Dougram or VOTOMS or something like a more realistic 08th MS.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doodmons posted:

I would recommend Tokyo Nova for all your mecha anime cyberpunk needs, by the way. It's Shadowrun written by crazy Japanese people and it has both mecha anime and cyberpunk coming out of it in spades.

Is there an actual English translation of this?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Siivola posted:

I was thinking sort of like... a gundam style real robot thing, with lots of weird political things going here and there and everywhere, with the players as a sort of shadowrunner/cyberpunk operative group caught in the middle, doing jobs for all sides. taking a lot of inspiration from the podcast Friends at the Table's second season.

It's leaning a bit more towards the cyberpunk, for sure, and I plan to do a lot of refluffing.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 23, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neopie posted:

I was thinking sort of like... a gundam style real robot thing, with lots of weird political things going here and there and everywhere, with the players as a sort of shadowrunner/cyberpunk operative group caught in the middle, doing jobs for all sides. taking a lot of inspiration from the podcast Friends at the Table's second season.

It's leaning a bit more towards the cyberpunk, for sure, and I plan to do a lot of refluffing.

Friends at the Table eventually switched from Mechnoir to The Sprawl and kept the mechaness by opening a few of the The Sprawl's Driver playbook moves to everyone. It converted pretty well. Since Blades and The Sprawl come out of the same rules base, it'd be even easier to transpose a lot of The Sprawl's cyberpunk/vehicle rules into the game.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 24, 2017

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Friends at the Table eventually switched from Mechnoir to The Sprawl and kept the mechaness by opening a few of the The Sprawl's Driver playbook moves to everyone. It converted pretty well. Since Blades and The Sprawl come out of the same rules base, it'd be even easier to transpose a lot of The Sprawl's cyberpunk/vehicle rules into the game.

That was pretty much exactly what I was going to do, yeah. I just, don't like the Sprawl much and also don't want to run the exact same system in my inspired by game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
One thing I never expected about the equipment system in this game is that when a simple painting heist goes horrifically wrong, with the mansion burning down, one of the crew possessed and the Bluecoats coming in force, one of the crew can pull out some documents and a police badge and claim to be undercover, and then pretend to arrest the Slide, left hanging from a second floor window by a rope.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I love that not only is cool poo poo like that possible, but clearly intended from the ground up.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Is some time this month still the expected ship time for the printed books? I've got one coming in a CSI order with some other stuff.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If I want both a physical book and a PDF, what are my options now? DriveThruRPG has the PDF, and the link from Evilhat for 'Buy Now' links to Backerkit for a physical book but I don't know what, if anything, that will get me since preorders closed a month ago.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

bewilderment posted:

If I want both a physical book and a PDF, what are my options now? DriveThruRPG has the PDF, and the link from Evilhat for 'Buy Now' links to Backerkit for a physical book but I don't know what, if anything, that will get me since preorders closed a month ago.

I'm not sure when, but there will be a PoD option on DTRPG at some point. I assume once fulfillment actually starts happening, or maybe they're just going back and forth with PoD proofs right now. :shrug: There will likely also be extra/overflow traditionally printed books on the Evil Hat site, which I believe always has an option to buy a PDF alongside print products for +$0.

So, I guess your best option now is just to wait until later. Sorry.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Willing to put good money on the fact that there's some other aspects of your question that I'm unaware of, but CSI has a pre-order link up on their site that's still accepting orders. No idea whether/when they'll get copies, but I think they're typically pretty good about shutting down pre-orders once they've allocated all that they expect to get?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/239295

This is how I'm hoping to get my copy anyway.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Willing to put good money on the fact that there's some other aspects of your question that I'm unaware of, but CSI has a pre-order link up on their site that's still accepting orders. No idea whether/when they'll get copies, but I think they're typically pretty good about shutting down pre-orders once they've allocated all that they expect to get?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/239295

This is how I'm hoping to get my copy anyway.

I'm not seeing that as a print+pdf combo though, which is ideally what I'd like. If I couldn't get a combo I'd probably just get a PDF.

Guess I shoulda been a backer!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I'm not seeing that as a print+pdf combo though, which is ideally what I'd like. If I couldn't get a combo I'd probably just get a PDF.

Guess I shoulda been a backer!

As That Old Tree said, once the book is actually out there'll be a Print+PDF combo on DTRPG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Does plasm burn dirty, or is it just that it's so rare (and important) that most people/factories still burn coal?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DalaranJ posted:

Does plasm burn dirty, or is it just that it's so rare (and important) that most people/factories still burn coal?

I suspect the latter. Based on John's streamed games, electroplasm appears to burn clean in the sense that it doesn't fill the air with smog, although spiritual residue seems to be a thing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah it's one of those things that's not explicitly defined except that noble houses have leviathan hunters, it's an extremely lucrative trade, and leviathans are badasses. All of which points to it being a valuable resource. The city needs electricity and ghost lights for its infrastructure (due to lack of sunlight) but individuals are unlikely to be able to afford it. Someone with electricity in their house or business is a mark of success.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a lot of the Saints Row series lately and I'm wondering how good a system this might be for a modern "street gangs take over the city" game. It's apparently easy to reskin, that I get, but I'm also wondering just how the acquiring and expanding territory/influence part of the game works in addition to the heists. Also to what extent does it favor being legit sneaky and clever over blowing up half the city with rocket launchers. I'm not saying it has to be great at the latter but the option should be there.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've been playing a lot of the Saints Row series lately and I'm wondering how good a system this might be for a modern "street gangs take over the city" game. It's apparently easy to reskin, that I get, but I'm also wondering just how the acquiring and expanding territory/influence part of the game works in addition to the heists. Also to what extent does it favor being legit sneaky and clever over blowing up half the city with rocket launchers. I'm not saying it has to be great at the latter but the option should be there.

There's a crew type called "Bravos" -- they break poo poo. Expanding territory and influence is also a built-in element of the game, so if that's how your crew is oriented it absolutely supports it. Generally you take territory by executing heists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's quite a few hacks being planned for modern settings, like 70s italy, so I wouldn't get planning anything like that yet.

Being stealthy is generally a good idea because it means you get less heat, which means you've got less negative consequences from the entanglements roll. It also means you're doing Controlled rolls more, which have weaker consequences, although you can do that with momentum or clever planning anyway. If you want crazy action all the time, make some new consequences for high-heat entanglements.

admanb posted:

There's a crew type called "Bravos" -- they break poo poo. Expanding territory and influence is also a built-in element of the game, so if that's how your crew is oriented it absolutely supports it. Generally you take territory by executing heists.

It's not necessarily a heist, it can be a murder, street battle, deal or ritual.