Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you think about it, isn't 2016 DOOM an FPS that has loot? 🤔

It has RPG elements :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was gonna get this either way, but I'm real glad they removed the VA work from him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Censorship is gone to far

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

removing jontron from the spiritual revival of one of his favorite games is a p. cool punishment. they should replace his VA with the other gamegrump for maximum laughs

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad my only exposure to jontron is the dunkey video

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

It has RPG elements :grin:

Yeah, the shotgun is kinda like an RPG if you hold down the alt-fire

edit: The rocket launcher itself also can be an RPG with the one weapon mod

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a meaningful difference between a rocket launcher and an RPG?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
One is a rocket launcher and one is a role playing game?

e: :grin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I don't actually know but I don't think rockets have shrapnel in the same way that a RPG would.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, RPGs are tank busters and rocket launchers are for "gently caress everything that's not a tank"

edit: Alternatively, one is a weapon that fires rockets and the other is a lackluster genre of video games that has never reached its full potential

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

RPG shoots grenades rocket launcher launches rockets

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Please do not make fun of my favorite genre of video and real life games :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Some of the replies to this on twitter and stuff are quite salty. I love that ones that are like "I've lost a lot of respect for Playtonic :(" but not for ya know... the guy saying racist things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should replace him with a mexican guy imo

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

So RPG stands for role playing game and BFG stands for bee flying game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

removing jontron from the spiritual revival of one of his favorite games is a p. cool punishment. they should replace his VA with the other gamegrump for maximum laughs
they should replace his VA with zoe quinn, jon's fans would drown in salt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIB_LwtR9sg

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Anita would go over better (worse?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

They should replace his VA with Jim Sterling

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe hire me? I could use the money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Replace his VA with enemy barks from Wolfenstein 3D

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

was it actual voicing or banjo kazooie voices

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been burning myself out playing Andromeda p. much nonstop since it came out, and I am sick as hell today with whatever is going around that my wife has, so I'm gonna take some painkillers and watch the new Jim Jarmusch documentary on The Stooges

and THEN I'll play another like 10 hours of MEAMP :shepicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Every video with dialogue from Andromeda is like something corn in the bible would post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDit1WO12fs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

They should keep internet celebrity cameos out of video games because they're always the most cringeworthy thing ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

Every video with dialogue from Andromeda is like something corn in the bible would post:

It is absolutely stunning how bad the dialogue is in ME:A. It is genuinely worse than low-budget anime game VAing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I would play Desperate Housewives: The ARPG

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Palpek posted:

Close your eyes and pretend that nakmor person is Tina from bobs burgers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

THat's the most damning criticism Ive heard so far lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

They should keep internet celebrity cameos out of video games because they're always the most cringeworthy thing ever

Wait, are you saying that they should hire voice actors to voice act or something crazy like that? :lol:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really andromeda's dialogue is a ten car pileup. the actual words aren't that much worse than the other mass effect games, minus some really bizarre dips, but the voice director clearly had no idea what they were doing, and the editing of the cutscenes is totally hosed. it's amazing to have worse editing than a cheap jrpg where it just cuts between two characters doing canned animation, but there are all sorts of bizarre pauses and weird cuts. It gives me the impression that it was shoved out the door before the person editing the cutscenes had even really started, or something, but iunno how the work flow on video games works when it comes to stuff like that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

Classic corn in the bible

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boy, they made space orcs real boring

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Palpek posted:

Everything around 1:35 is insanely stupid and bad, oh my god

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

It is absolutely stunning how bad the dialogue is in ME:A. It is genuinely worse than low-budget anime game VAing.

The sheer volume of voiced content isn't a good excuse, but I think that's the issue. Most of the dialogue I've seen has been good and sounded good, but every now and then yes there is something hilarious

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A rocket propelled grenade exhibits composition: it "Has a" rocket. A rocket fired from a rocket launcher exhibits inheritance, it "Is a" rocket.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

By the way, did you guys know this was censorship and against free speech? Thank you, twitter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Endorph posted:

really andromeda's dialogue is a ten car pileup. the actual words aren't that much worse than the other mass effect games, minus some really bizarre dips, but the voice director clearly had no idea what they were doing, and the editing of the cutscenes is totally hosed. it's amazing to have worse editing than a cheap jrpg where it just cuts between two characters doing canned animation, but there are all sorts of bizarre pauses and weird cuts. It gives me the impression that it was shoved out the door before the person editing the cutscenes had even really started, or something, but iunno how the work flow on video games works when it comes to stuff like that.

Bad voice acting in video games almost always comes down to bad direction. The VAs on Andromeda for the most part are all professionals with a ton of anime + game credits to their name, but if they don't have a clue where the scene is going or what their character is about, they're going to come off sounding aimless. Combine that with some shoddy editing due to the script probably being cut together from a thousand different pieces and welp, there you go.

Why cast someone who sounds like my third grade art teacher as some badass female Krogan. What were they thinking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

By the way, did you guys know this was censorship and against free speech? Thank you, twitter.

What, you didn't know that free speech means nobody should ever face repercussions for anything they say? Thanks, Milo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The best part is that if they had someone else like, I donno, Zoe Quinn doing a voice those exact same types would be complaining about them politicizing video games.

• Locked thread