Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No other boss has put my hands in a cold sweat like this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... well, that happened.

I was ROUTE C SPOILERS At the tower as A2, talking to (the presumably dying) twins. Very sad.

And up rolls Emil, with his theme song playing...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I swear Taro must've told them to make his route swing by that area for a reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Supremezero posted:

... well, that happened.

I was ROUTE C SPOILERS At the tower as A2, talking to (the presumably dying) twins. Very sad.

And up rolls Emil, with his theme song playing...

End of route C spoilers

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DY-87Zcp3hYM

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Also; Jackass is very powerful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ending E there are so many bullets on the screen I can't actually shoot anything holy poo poo. I actually got 2 divisions past marketing once, but not since in about 15 tries.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any update on that performance mod from yesterday? I don't want to read through 200 posts of people talking about android butts to find out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The mod has some weird interactions with the butt implementation but they said they're working on a backdoor fix

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
:suicide:

I would take a break, but I don't want to give up my checkpoint.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

The mod has some weird interactions with the butt implementation but they said they're working on a backdoor fix

LOL

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The more I think about it the more similarities I can come up with 9S and Raiden.

...and all it makes me think of is Snake in 2B's dress.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Snak posted:

:suicide:

I would take a break, but I don't want to give up my checkpoint.

make sure you're online

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

make sure you're online

Why? (I am not)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Why? (I am not)

You should go online. That's all I really ought to say.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Snak posted:

Why? (I am not)

Holy poo poo let Nier Automata access your internet NOW

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well I've heard about some opportunity to delete your save to help another player or something, but I'm not ready to do that yet, so...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That's after but seriously let the game access online

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Query out of curiosity. Does the game's online functionality work without PS+? Because it's gonna be kinda lovely if Ending E is gonna be nigh-unattainable to people who don't feel like paying up for it if it's the case

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

no really go online

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I didn't know that it wasn't until now. I guess network is off by default?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, I didn't know that it wasn't until now. I guess network is off by default?

Mine was online by default. Are you on PC or PS4?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if your internet ever quits out or w/e and disables the network, it doesn't try to re-up automatically

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
End of route E Trust us and go online

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I've gotten my Platinum Trophy for this game, and (Ending E Spoilers) gave up my save game so someone else can beat the credits.

This is just a really good game. I'm glad I got to play it, but I'm also sad it's all over. I'm definitely going to go back to this game at some point in the future.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I did, and awwwww :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Papercut posted:

Any update on that performance mod from yesterday? I don't want to read through 200 posts of people talking about android butts to find out.

Works real good apparently, though it's still experimental. Check out the sticky on the steam discussion forum or the nier reddit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

I did, and awwwww :3:

:unsmith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Huh, I just realized Ending E is a very effective anti-piracy measure. Now I kinda wanna see if people make a workaround for the thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I've got endings ABCDEGP. I know there are some quests I still need to do that are important, like Emil's quest, but I feel like I've done most of it. I don't know what people are talking about, all the final endings, C, D, & E, are happy! all of em!

edit: ^wait, how?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Snak posted:

So I've got endings ABCDEGP. I know there are some quests I still need to do that are important, like Emil's quest, but I feel like I've done most of it. I don't know what people are talking about, all the final endings, C, D, & E, are happy! all of em!

"Pretty effective" is hyperbole, but you need to be connected to the network to actually get the final ending AFAIK. Also C and D aren't so much happy as they are bittersweet. They both die in the end and the machines either decide to follow humankind to the Moon or just get exploded after all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Snak posted:

If your copy is pirated, you won't be able to access the online servers, since you're not authenticated and whatnot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nina posted:

Query out of curiosity. Does the game's online functionality work without PS+? Because it's gonna be kinda lovely if Ending E is gonna be nigh-unattainable to people who don't feel like paying up for it if it's the case

It does

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ending E
From what I've read, it's not unheard of to play pirated Denuvo games online.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
^ah, good point.

from last night:

Defiance Industries posted:

Did you play the first game? They're returning from that so they're not exactly new characters. They're also responsible for the extinction of humanity, so everything is actually their fault. Everything in the game emanates from their fuckup with Nier.

I did not.

Intoluene posted:

Popola and Devola are a callback to the original Nier just know that another instance of their models really, really hosed up. In this one, consider the implications of knowing deep down that a different you, somewhere you don't know, sometime in the past you don't really know for certain completely and irreversibly hosed everything up and know you are supposed to feel bad about it in the very depths of your mind and you expect to be treated like a pariah at every turn because of this other you. It's a tad blunt about the actions taken against the Popola and Devola units being simply unfair but their sacrifice giving their lives that glimmer of hope for the future gave their lives meaning.

Another interpretation I have is that it's an allegory for Original Sin but I'm not really qualified to make that argument.

Yeah, i get all that, but it just kind falls flat for me, not having played the first game and barely knowing the characters from their involvement in this game.

Dias posted:

Also C and D aren't so much happy as they are bittersweet. They both die in the end and the machines either decide to follow humankind to the Moon or just get exploded after all.

I mean... I guess we just have different ideas of what happy endings for killing machines with ongoing existential crises are. I totally got the impression that, in D, 9S's conciousness was saved and he went into space with Adam and Eve, but in a kinda life after death type of way.

I uh, forgot what ending C was...

side effect of doing E right after, I guess. Oh, it was they both die, but 2B destroys the tower and recognizes the beauty of the natural world. Yeah, I have trouble seeing that as sad.

While I've got some more stuff to uncover, I'm gonna say that Route B and ending B are my favorite parts of the game and felt the most solid. Story-wise. The gameplay of hacking everything and barely doing any real fighting is kinda meh, but works well to power through the story super fast to see the other side of the events.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 23, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

side effect of doing E right after, I guess. Oh, it was they both die, but 2B destroys the tower and recognizes the beauty of the natural world. Yeah, I have trouble seeing that as sad.

It's not the beauty of the natural world - it's the beauty of the world as-is, with all of the joy and pain that entails. It's sad because A2 - who has spent practically her entire life as an embittered shell of a woman, hating and killing everything she can, only realizes this now, at the moment of her death, before she has a chance to really appreciate it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

It's not the beauty of the natural world - it's the beauty of the world as-is, with all of the joy and pain that entails. It's sad because A2 - who has spent practically her entire life as an embittered shell of a woman, hating and killing everything she can, only realizes this now, at the moment of her death, before she has a chance to really appreciate it.

That's what I meant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i got an email for the 10th anniversary of PSN saying my rarest trophy is the platinum for Nier Androids.

which is almost definitely bollocks too. I bet lots more people have this platinum than MGRR for example.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
If you use the Machine Heads fist weapon then you're a monster and I hope you get what's coming to you. :colbert:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RanKizama posted:

If you use the Machine Heads fist weapon then you're a monster and I hope you get what's coming to you. :colbert:

*Shoryuken's RanKizama with the Machine Heads*

Machine Heads are the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Both Nier and Automata share a common theme regarding sexuality. Fairly heavy spoilers for both games following:

So in Nier 1 it is revealed that the Replicants can't breed on their own. It's unclear if they even have sex, although I guess that is implied, but all romantic couplings are in a way "pointless" to that end because people don't actually breed that way. This is revisited in Automata, where the androids have romantic and possibly even sexual relationships; even the machines seem to marry and have families and Jean-Paul is a legit heartbreaker.

In Automata it's more interesting because it's even more overt that these romances are even more devoid of physical intimacies that we humans find so deeply powerful. I'm not sure if there's any deeper statement to it, but in both Nier and Automata, love, romantic relationships, all of these things are for no purpose. Like the violence, which is almost always for no purpose, so too is the love. The androids can never breed. The machines may never truly understand love, even if they attempt to simulate it. The androids are even more doomed because they cannot even pass on their memories to the next generation. They may love in this moment, but when that love has died, there'll be nothing to show for it.

I dunno, it's a rambling thing, but I don't think I'm too off-base in at least pointing out that there seems to be as much a nullifying effect on love and sex in the Nier games as there is violence; neither seem to accomplish anything. In true Buddhist fashion, any hope in the future is completely wasted. The only thing that matters is this immediate instant. Taro wants you to accept that every moment you exist is infinitely precious, and as such you should spent those precious moments gathering striped screws from the robots in the factory.