Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Not a lot of love for Muay Thai here? I started 6 months ago and I'm hooked. I've probably dropped 15lbs, can touch my toes, and kick someone in the head pretty hard. I tried BJJ on and off but never really got into it. I liked learning the technique, but sparring I always got muscled into tapping, smothered, or got injured. I liek watching the more advanced belts do more technical sparring, but I never did it consistently to get to that point. But I've found what I wanted in Muay Thai and its great for a tall, lanky dude like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

MT is cool, but I think BJJ is popular due to being low impact and lots of competition opportunity. MT/boxing matches are not so casual or accessible as a BJJ or Judo tournament, and competition creates more motivation to train.

But MT is super cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Striking sports are great, but I think more people prefer not to get hit in the head. There's no way to avoid taking damage in the long term if you're sparring. I'm not saying that to discourage anyone, but to just to point out the risk that you have to accept.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I would totaly do MT if I were 10 years younger and didn't rely on my brains and hands for a living

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

Striking sports are great, but I think more people prefer not to get hit in the head. There's no way to avoid taking damage in the long term if you're sparring. I'm not saying that to discourage anyone, but to just to point out the risk that you have to accept.

this is why kyokushin karate is wasting their giant golden opportunity.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They should get together with taekwondo people for a "Let's Not in the Face" tournament.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah, I did enough striking to attain "not horrible" status, but am too old and decrepit to push my luck. If I was young and trying to be the baddest motherfucker possible, I'd definitely start there though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Let's Not in the Face Except Sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmCjTYMqBk

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
The last injury I sustained while sparring kickboxing was the day after the TJ Dilishaw vs Dominick Cruz fight and I tried to execute a Dominick Cruz style slide step -> switch stance -> step through jab but ended up falling over and rolling my ankle pretty bad. :v:

Muay Thai/kickboxing is great, although I only spar with strikes once a week nowadays (not including light sparring) cause yeah, I value my brain. In the next few years I'll probably cut out sparring with strikes totally. Aging is such a cruel unforgiving beast.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Everyone should just drop whatever they are doing and take Aikido
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdhoi3wRII

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I either need to come off the gear or have a reality check, just chased a guy who tried stealing a bike in the street outside the front of my house, was fully prepared to have a good go, turns out he had a hammer and chissel, I chased him into the arms of the police who were at the other end of my road, but now I'm thinking if he would of decided to have a go, id of been fighting a guy with a hammer, which isn't smart. The police operator was telling me not to chase him but I wanted him caught, loving thieves.

Anyone else think they are invincible in the moment and then realise afterwards they could of gotten hosed up?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
At the same time, if he had of turned to face me, I'd of hosed him up.

All because he was trying to take this at 1am and woke me up smashing it with the hammer for a good 30 seconds.

http://m.imgur.com/Ulgw77a?r[

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Anyone else think they are invincible in the moment and then realise afterwards they could of gotten hosed up?
Everyone in the moment before they get shot in America chasing criminals.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Maybe you need to come off the gear and have a reality check

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
To be fair I'm probably betting on the juiced up fighter over the moron trying to hammer and chissle the u lock.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also consider that you're not taking enough gear

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Kekekela posted:

To be fair I'm probably betting on the juiced up fighter over the moron trying to hammer and chissle the u lock.

Thanks bro, means a lot x

Marching Powder posted:

also consider that you're not taking enough gear

A good point well made.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Please don't pick fights with armed randos. :ohdear:

Anyway, I finally finished reading Alex Gillis's taekwondo book A Killing Art and it's pretty great if you want :stonklol: stories about the people who invented TKD.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Siivola posted:

Please don't pick fights with armed randos. :ohdear:

Anyway, I finally finished reading Alex Gillis's taekwondo book A Killing Art and it's pretty great if you want :stonklol: stories about the people who invented TKD.

could you paraphrase one of the better stories?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno, I'm pretty bad at paraphrasing.

One of ITF's official forms is named juche. It was created when General Choi (ITF's founder) defected to the North and realized one of the previous forms was named after a guy the communists imprisoned for treason. Meanwhile, his son was in Canada, plotting to assassinate South Korea's president.

Incidentally, South Korea's political history is pretty hosed up.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

willie_dee posted:

At the same time, if he had of turned to face me, I'd of hosed him up.

All because he was trying to take this at 1am and woke me up smashing it with the hammer for a good 30 seconds.

http://m.imgur.com/Ulgw77a?r[
I dunno if that was worth chasing an armed felon, Willie. What was your plan if you would have caught him - just beat the poo poo out of him?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Bangkero posted:

I dunno if that was worth chasing an armed felon, Willie. What was your plan if you would have caught him - just beat the poo poo out of him?

Pretty much. Petty crime like cars being broken into and bikes stolen is rife in my area at the moment, to get my hands on one of the perpetrators would be sweet. Getting a ton of likes and props on the community Facebook page when I asked if it was anyone's bike and said what had happened. I'm not really for vigilante justice because of mistakes but the guy was and is clearly trouble.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

Too late now but it would have been drink a lot of water starting monday/tuesday and stop drinking it roughly two days before weigh in. I would personally not try the water trick but if I had six days to make weight by losing a few kilos I would just cut on carbs. A lot of your body weight is water in your muscle glycogen storages. Empty the storages and get rid of carbs and you will lose weight fast at first. I don't know how "tight" your condition is in general, and I weigh more than you but I can easily lose 2-3kg with just a single long exercise.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_d is going to die under strange circumstances and be immortalized in the goon pantheon of weird obsessions and poor decisions.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Willie, I once asked you if you thought you were doing okay in the throes of your new steroid obsession because this sort of thing was on the horizon. If you have to wonder if you're loving up then you should take a step back and seriously consider why you need to ask yourself the question. Imo, as a guy who knows you as an internet crazy, dial that poo poo way back and see how that feels for a while.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

Willie, I once asked you if you thought you were doing okay in the throes of your new steroid obsession because this sort of thing was on the horizon. If you have to wonder if you're loving up then you should take a step back and seriously consider why you need to ask yourself the question. Imo, as a guy who knows you as an internet crazy, dial that poo poo way back and see how that feels for a while.

My girlfriend keeps me in check, I'm all good, thanks for the concern though. I guess I just had that moment of realisation when I was back in my home of, yea id of hosed him up, but if he got lucky with the hammer, that would of been bad, and I hadn't at all thought about that mid chase. It was a weird realisation.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think you're forgetting there was a possibility that no you might not have hosed him and you could have been seriously hurt.

Thieves suck and getting your poo poo stolen sucks too but a bike isn't worth a beating with a hammer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mariooncrack posted:

I think you're forgetting there was a possibility that no you might not have hosed him and you could have been seriously hurt.

Thieves suck and getting your poo poo stolen sucks too but a bike isn't worth a beating with a hammer.

This is correct.

Remember my story from a few weeks back, Willie? The moral is gently caress Walmart. :colbert:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Was it even your bike? It looks absolutely worthless.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Was it even your bike? It looks absolutely worthless.

Nope a neighbours

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You're in the UK?
You'd be thrown in jail, if you'd 'hosed him up', especially if you did it over 3 quids worth of bike frame that didn't even belong to you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie, this vid was made for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVkzYDNJqo

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kuvo posted:

I would totaly do MT if I were 10 years younger and didn't rely on my brains and hands for a living

cool way of saying youre a programmer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Programming is the best base for not doing MA.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
[me, a slob, doing a regular job that doesnt require any hands or brains]

[cool guy, skipping boxing, and coding super fast on a keyboard]

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've been doing this whole training things for years and still haven't gotten a black eye :(

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

willie, this vid was made for you

I just clicked don't take the knife and went to the party, had a good time, thanks bro! I'll keep on keepin on! Lesson learnt.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
My gi finally came in. It's really comfortable! Kingz brand I think.

During open mat today I was told to spend less energy doing what I do, and focus on defending more. Like, if I roll with higher belts, I should focus on making them earn a lock or pin first. Wasn't from the sensei, was from a purple belt though.

Currently I just try to get triangles, mounts, side mounts or gi chokes :v: I don't know much more than that yet

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So after 5 years of destroying my body through a combination of incredible stress, odd hours and poo poo eating, I switched careers to one that has way better hours and found out one of my old MT instructors opened up his own gym locally that charges 80/mo for unlimited or 60/mo for 2/week,im real tempted to get back in. I really want to get my own bag in the garage too. His gym is a p legit hole in the wall warehouse as a legit gym usually is and I trust his instruction. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

E: no contracts or any Bullshit like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

T.S. Smelliot posted:

. Should I try and work out a bit first so I don't show embarrassingly out of shape compared to what I was or what

gently caress no, get in there.