Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
hes rich, also i dont care if he fights but I will not watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Siver is going to destroy Penn and it isn't going to be close.

Siver lost to an 800,000 year old Kawajiri, 2 years ago

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd be pretty confident in an 800,002 year old Kawajiri beating BJ Penn

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think Penn was just crazy out matched by a young and really good up and comer in Yair.

Siver experienced a similar defeat against a young and talented McGregor.

I think it will be a better fight than people expect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know about "better".

"Closer" or "more competitive", possible.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Since when did Siver become this scary guy that might seriously hurt another old but much better fighter?

Edit: He's loving 38, has had more fights than BJ and won't be able to juice as much as he used to.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since when did Siver become this scary guy that might seriously hurt another old but much better fighter?

He lands that spinning back kick roughly once per fight, and BJ could totally have fatty liver disease and get flattened by a body shot.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I think BJ just took such a savage beating from Yair that to some people it looks like he can't fight at all anymore, but I think he was just hopelessly outmatched there and the UFC sacrificed him to build up Yair.

Siver seems like the kind of match up he should be getting in the first place, and at one point I think they were supposed to fight at 199.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Give me Rockhold vs Jon Jones.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'd just like to suggest we all take a moment of silent reflection to think about the very long, often terse argument fatherdog would have had with one of us about BJ Penn vs Dennis Siver

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'd just like to suggest we all take a moment of silent reflection to think about the very long, often terse argument fatherdog would have had with one of us about BJ Penn vs Dennis Siver

nope

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Oh. Duh. Rockhold is skipping LHW because he thinks he would of course have to face up with (and probably beat up) his friend DC.

I don't know that I'm right but if I am it's pretty funny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

...and the pitch! posted:

Oh. Duh. Rockhold is skipping LHW because he thinks he would of course have to face up with (and probably beat up) his friend DC.

I don't know that I'm right but if I am it's pretty funny.

He doesn't seem worried about meeting Cain on his way through HW I guess

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

This would be cool if Rockhold is going to leave 185 for some reason.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Give me Jon Jones vs anyone

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
rockhold got mad at someone for minor meathead reasons, he's not fighting at heavyweight and he doesn't have a deeply considered plan revolving around gym politics to do so

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

He doesn't seem worried about meeting Cain on his way through HW I guess

He know Cain only fights once or twice per geological epoch.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

rockhold got mad at someone for minor meathead reasons, he's not fighting at heavyweight and he doesn't have a deeply considered plan revolving around gym politics to do so

That does seem more plausible but even meatheads will surprise us.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I remember Shane Carwin was making a comeback. What became of that debacle?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Give me Jon Jones vs anyone

Jon Jones vs the State of New Mexico.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nierbo posted:

I have no idea if it's even a thing but even if it is, it's not in the UFC, who said they're not interested.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

I'm still down for that but I'm not sure how many successful engineers want to fight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rockhold's thing would normally be a single MMAjunkie headline that gets swept under in favor of Bellator Books Royce Gracie vs Bas Rutten or something, but it's just slightly more plausible than it used to be because the recent WME-IMG management choices make dumb poo poo like that more acceptable than they used to be, particularly if you're a top-ranked middleweight who knows no one's getting a title shot for another year and a half.

also BJ's probably gonna beat Siver and this cycle will start all over

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't really think it's a dining philosphers problem for choosing a weightclass but I wouldn't be surprised if he went up to HW. MW seems to be a bit of a logjam atm and full of killers at the top.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Nierbo posted:

Jerry Millen courted him for a long time and he signed with Rizin saying that they showed him a lot of respect etc, then when they booked him a fight he dropped off the face of the Earth for a custody court case and in another show of respect Sakakibara called him a massive bitch

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Captain Log posted:

I'm still down for that but I'm not sure how many successful engineers want to fight.

A fighter who was last active in the UFC 5 years ago? (captains log ears perk up) I've got to let them know that he's got the one job more khakis than computer programmer, and that I think it's good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nierbo posted:

Signed with Rizin, tried to debut on the Dec 29 card but later withdrew

Also

quote:

On October 15, 2016, Carwin participated in a boxing exhibition match against professional skateboarder Jason Ellis at EllisMania 13. Per the unique rules, Carwin literally had one of his arms duct-taped to his body to box Ellis. He won the bout via knockout in the second round.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Wow, an engineer and a dad. Class act all the way when he knocked out a skateboarder in a car park.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

At least we have that video if someone questions whether a massive size difference confers any advantage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

...and the pitch! posted:

At least we have that video if someone questions whether a massive size difference confers any advantage.

watching effete anime waifs dominate large, scary anime men means i need a similarly ridiculous contrarian experience to right my broke brain so yes for that we have shane carwin with an arm tied behind his back in a carpark fighting one of the guys from jackass i assume

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

A fighter who was last active in the UFC 5 years ago? (captains log ears perk up) I've got to let them know that he's got the one job more khakis than computer programmer, and that I think it's good.

:yells into the void of existence: Patrick Cote is awesome!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
New Zealand's card looks good, hunt / black beast, brunson / dad Kelly, Joe b / Ben 10

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

New Zealand's card looks good, hunt / black beast, brunson / dad Kelly, Joe b / Ben 10

I am hyped for all of that.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

yah

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

hunt / black beast

Fuuuuck, I really don't know who I want to win that.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Joey B is a decent step up for ben10. If Brunson loses he's on a 3 fight skid yeah?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

Joey B is a decent step up for ben10. If Brunson loses he's on a 3 fight skid yeah?

If you can't beat Joseph Benavidez you won't beat Mighty Mouse. I don't know why they're giving this kind of fight to Nguyen but maybe he was the only one who would accept the fight (featherweight is shook).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you can't beat Joseph Benavidez you won't beat Mighty Mouse. I don't know why they're giving this kind of fight to Nguyen but maybe he was the only one who would accept the fight (featherweight is shook).

I'm glad they are though as opposed to rushing everyone to MM as quickly as possible. Even if (and likely will) he loses to Joe B it'll be great fight experience for him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I'm glad they are though as opposed to rushing everyone to MM as quickly as possible. Even if (and likely will) he loses to Joe B it'll be great fight experience for him.

I wish they'd do 5 rounders though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I wish they'd do 5 rounders though.

Could not agree more.

"Let's have Derrick Lewis against the no. 15 HW headline a show but bury top flyweights on the fightpass prelims"

• Locked thread