Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

One with Nothing is like Lion's Eye Diamond.

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

little munchkin posted:

actually it's weird either way

Admitted, its totally weird. My dad has 5 kids with 4 different women so I dont support gently caress ups but if it just didnt work out then I feel for him and the kid. Its totally not normal but I rock being a weirdo like a good suit.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My name is Soul Glo, and I'm here to say,

Talking like this about LSV's marriage is creepy in a major way

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Breaking news: LSV and his wife are divorcing because she was the one who bought out all the copies of grasp of fate!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I played a match of Legacy on xmage about a week back. I ultimately lost 2-0, but game 2 was one of the coolest and goodest games I've had in a long time. I was on d&t and basically opened with the d&t nut draw against blue midrange(my opponent was on Esper blade): t1 vial, t2 vial in mom, t3 second vial, vial in Thalia, t4 vial in recruiter fetching mom, vial in mom with a flickerwisp in hand. I also had a stack of wastes but he was on all basics and fetches to go with his stoneforge and Jitte, and then he played Engineered Plague on humans. I eventually managed to Revoker Jitte(naturally, before drawing and playing my own), but he managed to play and flash 3 lingering souls back over the course of the game. I even managed to deal with that and get my own personal recurring source of card advantage in by becoming the Monarch, but ultimately I couldn't deal with the very last threat of the game, a stoneforge mystic with a sword and a batterskull. Legacy is great, just ban something from Miracles please.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Breaking news: LSV and his wife are divorcing because she was the one who bought out all the copies of grasp of fate!

It's actually because she said blue is the worst color in Vintage cube

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ what did Modern Eldrazi do to you?

:golfclap:

I miss Eldrazi Winter. I don't think I've had a stronger streak of tournament wins since Coffers-fueled MBC. Two of us basically split every tournament here while people on the local Facebook group would post tunnel-vision stuff like "I've never had a problem with Eldrazi."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Please stop talking about Magic games in this thread.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Magic the Gathering: Divorce Court

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Death Bot posted:

Speculation ruining Magic again

We did it, the one good post to come out of this discussion, now we can move on.

What do people think of MM3 as a draft format so far? I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but from what I've seen it looks like multicolor value piles are a thing you can do, if you're into that.

Apparently not everyone is - I once ended up in an ill-advised triple Dragon's Maze draft where that was the order of the day, and me and one other guy had a great time while the rest of the shop looked miserable.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why pick a favorite forest?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Soul Glo posted:

My name is Soul Glo, and I'm here to say,

Talking like this about LSV's marriage is creepy in a major way

tssss

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I just sold off my MTGO collection so I could buy into Modern in paper. Along with a bunch of cards I inherited from a friend who quit the game, I was able to put together Naya Burn and Eldrazi Tron. I'm not super familiar with either deck (I used to play Eldrazi and Taxes on MTGO), what's typically going to be the most fun to play at any given FNM?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Apparently not everyone is - I once ended up in an ill-advised triple Dragon's Maze draft where that was the order of the day, and me and one other guy had a great time while the rest of the shop looked miserable.

I just drafted wind drakes and phytoburst in triple maze. Worked out pretty good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Please stop talking about Magic games in this thread.

I just wanted to stop talking about gossip because I find it boring and it's not our business :(

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I'm pretty sure my eyeballs would fall out of my head if they saw that many cluestones in such a short timespan, and it would be a mercy.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Necronomicon posted:

I just sold off my MTGO collection so I could buy into Modern in paper. Along with a bunch of cards I inherited from a friend who quit the game, I was able to put together Naya Burn and Eldrazi Tron. I'm not super familiar with either deck (I used to play Eldrazi and Taxes on MTGO), what's typically going to be the most fun to play at any given FNM?

friggin' netdecker!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The important LSV gossip is he owned me on his stream by saying Legacy was bad.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

We did it, the one good post to come out of this discussion, now we can move on.

What do people think of MM3 as a draft format so far? I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but from what I've seen it looks like multicolor value piles are a thing you can do, if you're into that.

Format is fun, last draft I did I drafted bant value pile splashing for Teleportal and went 3-0. My last 3 picks of the draft were all on-color guildgates. Apparently nobody else was on G/U because I got passed a simic sky swallower and the green command.

Guy to my left was drafting U/W flicker and we barely encroached on eachother.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
MM17 box ended up pretty solid despite no fetches :smithicide:

- mythics were Lili, Grisel, Hoof, Voice, and foil Past in Flames
- notable rares were Gobbo Guide, Death's Shadow, Abrupt Decay, foil Cruel Ult, Basilisk Collar, Venser, and Gifts

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I refuse to draft anything that I can't force storm in.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ahhh DGM. Who doesn't love 3/15 of their cards being lovely mana rocks?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Necronomicon posted:

I think Burn might be in a good spot with people kind of forgetting about it and Death's Shadow gaining popularity, but I haven't seen it locally. Depends on your meta I guess. I also think Eldrazi Taxes differs quite a bit from Eldrazi Tron so that might be a newer experience than you think.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

There are built-in strategies for the allied color pairs but there's also enough mechanical overlap (and fixing) that you can go three colors. The one draft I did I went GWU with a mix of ETB token generators and Populate effects along with Blink effects. Really, value ETB creatures + Blink would be a good deck. Don't pass Mistmeadow Witch if you can play it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I was WG in the first pack, then got passed a Cruel Ultimatum P2P2 and decided to splash it, never getting mana screwed. 10/10 format.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Alaan posted:

Ahhh DGM. Who doesn't love 3/15 of their cards being lovely mana rocks?

Oh, it wasn't a good format by any means, but it was one I managed to get some enjoyment out of winning with the most unconscionable manabase you could imagine in.

Still not as dismal a triple small set draft as Eventide, though. There's a good reason they're not endorsed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

I just wanted to stop talking about gossip because I find it boring and it's not our business :(

Please don't disrespect the rumors you may not etc etc

I'm currently sitting on a box of MM3 and a a Japanese box of EMA that I'll probably never actually draft because it's impossible to get 8 people together and I'll eventually tilt-open them and regret it because it'll be a combined value of $73. Also by the end of next week I'll have had 2 days off in the last 3 weeks and have worked at least 14 12-hour shifts. Not exactly conducive to playing Magic.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Really, value ETB creatures + Blink would be a good deck. Don't pass Mistmeadow Witch if you can play it.
Esper blink is crazy good, yeah. I'll be drafting that as long as people let me.

Probably helped that I was lucky enough to open an Evil Twin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Send your boxes to me I'll save you the trouble of opening them. I'll even send all of the cards back!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
DGM was the first draft format I really sunk my teeth into, partially because I was newer and partially because a CFB article pointed out how awful the cards in it were and advocated picking gates and stones above near anything in it and getting most of your playables from the next two packs while everyone worries about petty things like "signals" and "playables"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
In retrospect this might be part of why Jan is the only cube player I can watch, everyone else will pick an unplayable over an off-color abur dual pack one most of the time...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Friend owed me some money and he tempted me to play MM17 pack wars with him for it. :negative: At least I got a Verdant, Tarn, Marsh Flats, and Goyf out of my packs. I won 3/5 of the pack wars, so he still owes me some money so I guess he can buy me a draft when I decide to play that again. Pack warring with this set is actually better than other masters formats, since there's some neat creatures and it's not just hoping to mill the other guy out like in the original MM iirc.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As someone whose Modern experience includes occasionally watching streams, I understand Death's Shadow decks are in vogue. Would WB Tokens, or really anything that can play lingering souls, be decent in this meta? It looks like going wide or playing Path to Exile is how you beat it?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
AFAIK it runs Temur Battle Rage too so souls seems not great.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shadow225 posted:

As someone whose Modern experience includes occasionally watching streams, I understand Death's Shadow decks are in vogue. Would WB Tokens, or really anything that can play lingering souls, be decent in this meta? It looks like going wide or playing Path to Exile is how you beat it?

The problem with WB tokens is it doesn't play many good cards, so you stand a high chance of getting crushed by discard spells. If you keep a reasonable hand and they cast an Inquisition and take your only removal spell so they can swing through with a big creature + Temur Battle Rage, or take your Bitterblossom to leave you without any threats, or take your Virtue so you're stuck with a bunch of measly 1/1s, you end up in a bad spot where you need to topdeck just the right card at just the right time.

I guess I could have just stopped at "WB Tokens doesn't play good cards."

e: oh also comedy option on the LSV gossip, he had an affair with Marshall Sutcliffe.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

black potus posted:

AFAIK it runs Temur Battle Rage too so souls seems not great.

The original GP lists at least only ran two TBR so Souls still seems fine, the problem is that Suicide Jund isn't an aggro deck so much as a Jund Deck with a Death's Shadow package added in. Also I think they run Liliana the Last Hope, although that isn't as good once they get an anthem out. Really, the problem is that you're playing BW tokens, and well

Hellsau posted:

I guess I could have just stopped at "WB Tokens doesn't play good cards."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

One with Nothing is like Lion's Eye Diamond.

:laffo:

This one's my favorite.
Especially when a better comparison exists.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I almost played a Dissolve in Shardless Bug in the past. Instead I bought a new deck that wasn't terrible.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Shadow225 posted:

Going wide is actually not bad. I've been playing g/b Elves and if the Death's Shadow deck gets below 10 health, I can usually go wide enough that they can't block everything, or just play Shaman of the Pack and dome them for 10, plus infinite chump blocks unless they draw Battle Rage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

The original GP lists at least only ran two TBR so Souls still seems fine, the problem is that Suicide Jund isn't an aggro deck so much as a Jund Deck with a Death's Shadow package added in.

I thought Tokens had a good, or at least respectable, matchup vs. Jund?

VV Fair

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 23, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

C-Euro posted:

Lingering Souls is good against a deck that tries to abuse Liliana of the Veil to run both players out of resources and then have better topdecks than the opponent. It's much worse against The Last Hope and more good cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

VV Fair

Yeah Last Hope is very bad for a Tokens player. If you are playing Auriok Champion you can block a Shadow for days (until they find the Battle Rage) but then the Goyf will get you. If they're on the play and have Discard turn 1+2 they could gently caress up your hand faster than you can gently caress up theirs (they are playing 8 vs. probably your 4 discard spells total.) You have Push and Path though. Anguished Unmaking is also a good 1-for-1 against Lili but I would only play 1 mainboard.

The biggest problem against Death Shadow Jund vs. traditional Jund is that WB Tokens really takes 4-5 mana to stabilize. A turn of Sorin letting you gain 6-8 life, Souls+flashbacking Souls, or Spectral + Pathing something is how you turn the corner. But they are a turn faster than that.

Tokens is a very "fair" deck that loses very hard to most strategies doing "unfair" modern things (Tron, Scapeshift, Ad Nauseum.)

• Locked thread