Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From the Longform thread:

Helith posted:

This is a Guardian longread article that appeared today

What will happen when the Queen dies

I found it morbidly fascinating as it's going to happen soon and this article details the sheer amount of planning that is involved and also talks about the psychological impact to be expected.
It also mentions that this hasn't been done since 1952 and there are not many people alive with actual experience of this type of event.

This bit disturbed me:

quote:

Not long afterwards, Dawson injected the king with 750mg of morphine and a gram of cocaine – enough to kill him twice over – in order to ease the monarch’s suffering, and to have him expire in time for the printing presses of the Times, which rolled at midnight.

Not ancient history there, either - that's George V in 1936.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I mean, euthanasia isn't exactly some big dealm doing it for the timing of the presses is a little bit strange I guess.

Or was the king not informed that this was happening? I know they kept some details of hos diagnosis from him, but did it last up until his death?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Captain Monkey posted:

I mean, euthanasia isn't exactly some big dealm doing it for the timing of the presses is a little bit strange I guess.

Or was the king not informed that this was happening? I know they kept some details of hos diagnosis from him, but did it last up until his death?

Ohhhh he was told, and did not consent to it.

Apparently his last words, aimed at the doctor, were "God-drat you!" or something similar.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Josef bugman posted:

Ohhhh he was told, and did not consent to it.

Apparently his last words, aimed at the doctor, were "God-drat you!" or something similar.

Wouldn't that make it high treason? What happened to the doctor?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Nothing, kept on being physician to the royal family, died at 80.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Captain Monkey posted:

Armstrong's first steps on the Moon were delayed to coincide with TV prime time in the US.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LizzieBorden posted:

Nothing, kept on being physician to the royal family, died at 80.

He also voted against legalising euthanasia in the house of Lords because he was a self serving shitpile of a human.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FrozenVent posted:

Armstrong's first steps on the Moon were delayed to coincide with TV prime time in the US.

Not sure if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially after reading that Aldrin was senior, but since he was military (a Colonel in the Air Force) and the whole VietNam thing was in high gear at the time, they felt it would be better PR-wise if Armstrong, a civilian, was the First Man on the Moon.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MightyJoe36 posted:

Not sure if it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially after reading that Aldrin was senior, but since he was military (a Colonel in the Air Force) and the whole VietNam thing was in high gear at the time, they felt it would be better PR-wise if Armstrong, a civilian, was the First Man on the Moon.

It's true, and they were very very touchy about having a military officer be the first person to step foot on the moon. So touchy that Apollo 11 was the first time the LEM was flown with a fully fueled lunar ascent engine, just in case any of those earlier flights got a wild hair

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Armstrong tried to play it cool by saying he didn’t really care who first set foot on the Moon.

Buzz countered by saying that whoever got that honor should at least be someone who recognized it an an honor.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Glazier posted:

It's true, and they were very very touchy about having a military officer be the first person to step foot on the moon. So touchy that Apollo 11 was the first time the LEM was flown with a fully fueled lunar ascent engine, just in case any of those earlier flights got a wild hair

Meh. That sentiment came from a short remark by Cernan during an interview and he was known to quip funny answers.

Fuel was only one of three things preventing the Apollo 10 crew from landing: Cdr Stafford and LMP Cernan had not trained for a landing at this point. It's not trivial enough to figure out on the fly.
Next, the Apollo guidance computer required different programs to be loaded (manually) into its limited memory for different stages of the flight. The program required for the landing phase was not on board.
Lastly, those guys were test pilots who got to where they were by being disciplined and following rules.

And about the short-fueling: The ascent stage was loaded to approximately the same fuel level that the Apollo 11 ascent stage was expected to have after lifting off and being at 50,000 ft for rendezvous and docking with the CSM.
I don't think that an early landing was ever really a legit concern. Gene was funny guy.

PS: Apollo 8 flew to the moon but did not carry an LM. Apollo 9 didn't go to the moon.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Mar 23, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Apollo 10’s real problem was that the LM was overweight. It couldn’t have landed on the Moon with a full load.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Not sure if it really qualifies as unnerving, but it definitely is for me, to this day - I once smoked weed with a murderer.

My husband's best friend was murdered in 2011 by three of his friends, one of whom was an Army buddy (both active duty at the time, stationed at Ft Stewart, GA). Apparently it was a poorly-thought-out drug ring gone bad, but none of us had any idea at any point beforehand that any of it was going on. We'd visited James and his wife and daughters a few months before, and my husband had been semi-friends with Aaron Paxton (the ringleader) for years without knowing what he was up to. We met Eicher (the Army buddy) and thought he was a bit weird but otherwise didn't give him a second thought until we heard he was involved; the same day we spent several hours at Aaron's house smoking and hanging out since we were in town and I'd never met him before.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2014-05-12/story/former-soldier-pleads-voluntary-manslaughter-2011-shooting-death-3rd-id

tl;dr of that article posted:

Superior Court Judge Anthony Harrison accepted Eicher’s plea to voluntary manslaughter and another to conspiracy to distribute marijuana and sentenced him to 20 years in prison on the manslaughter charge and 10 years probation on the drug charge.

Assistant District Attorney Rocky Bridges told Harrison that starting in March 2011 Eicher and Willis had been involved with Paxton and Pennington in a conspiracy to obtain marijuana from California and distribute it in Southeast Georgia.

Witnesses have said Paxton was dangerous, had intimidated others and “had gone so far as to have a customer’s finger cut off at one point,’’ Bridges said.

Eicher was likely in fear of his own life when he followed Paxton’s instructions and shot Willis, Bridges said.

Eicher told Harrison he agreed with Bridges’ statement of facts. When Harrison asked Eicher if he wished to make a statement, he shook his head several times and then said, “I’m sorry this whole thing happened.”

Had Eicher gone to trial on the murder charges and been convicted he could have been sentenced to life without parole plus 30 years.

In hindsight, I would totally believe that Aaron would cut off someone's finger for loving him over, or order the murder of a guy he'd known for years, though. He was one of those people that rubbed me the wrong way just because he was a consummate one-upper and did nothing but talk about how rich he was (he was doing fairly well but not nearly as well as he tried to convince us he was) and how he'd invented [something I totally forget now] that was going to make him millions. Bragged about everything he'd done and how brilliant he was, talked down to me when he found out I was a "computer person" since he'd allegedly been in tech for decades and knew everything there was to know about everything, etc etc, you know the type, uncle works for Nintendo and so on. Except from a 35-year-old man. Didn't strike me as a drug lord or a murderer, just kind of a huge tool, but I guess nobody ever really does unless they're obviously a total psychopath.

Kingsland is very, very close to the Florida/Georgia line and thus Jacksonville, hence the Jax paper, but this one technically can't be added to the rap sheet of Florida Man. :v:

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Mar 23, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Monkey posted:

The Times, the most respectable paper and "paper of record", was an evening paper. The morning papers were (from the upper classes' point of view) trashy things aimed at the middle/working classes. It wasn't just making the Times, it was avoiding the tabloids.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKennedys posted:

Not sure if it really qualifies as unnerving, but it definitely is for me, to this day - I once smoked weed with a murderer.

My husband's best friend was murdered in 2011 by three of his friends, one of whom was an Army buddy (both active duty at the time, stationed at Ft Stewart, GA). Apparently it was a poorly-thought-out drug ring gone bad, but none of us had any idea at any point beforehand that any of it was going on. We'd visited James and his wife and daughters a few months before, and my husband had been semi-friends with Aaron Paxton (the ringleader) for years without knowing what he was up to. We met Eicher (the Army buddy) and thought he was a bit weird but otherwise didn't give him a second thought until we heard he was involved; the same day we spent several hours at Aaron's house smoking and hanging out since we were in town and I'd never met him before.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2014-05-12/story/former-soldier-pleads-voluntary-manslaughter-2011-shooting-death-3rd-id

In hindsight, I would totally believe that Aaron would cut off someone's finger for loving him over, or order the murder of a guy he'd known for years, though. He was one of those people that rubbed me the wrong way just because he was a consummate one-upper and did nothing but talk about how rich he was (he was doing fairly well but not nearly as well as he tried to convince us he was) and how he'd invented [something I totally forget now] that was going to make him millions. Bragged about everything he'd done and how brilliant he was, talked down to me when he found out I was a "computer person" since he'd allegedly been in tech for decades and knew everything there was to know about everything, etc etc, you know the type, uncle works for Nintendo and so on. Except from a 35-year-old man. Didn't strike me as a drug lord or a murderer, just kind of a huge tool, but I guess nobody ever really does unless they're obviously a total psychopath.

Kingsland is very, very close to the Florida/Georgia line and thus Jacksonville, hence the Jax paper, but this one technically can't be added to the rap sheet of Florida Man. :v:

My sister's husband was murdered by people breaking in to steal drugs, and hitting the wrong drat house. http://www.gainesville.com/news/20090130/waldo-man-enters-no-contest-plea-in-newberry-murder

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why do people even live in Florida?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Because hills are literally the devil.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Leavemywife posted:

Taxes

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Leavemywife posted:

The beach? That's the only reason I would ever consider it. I had one teenage vacation alongside a natural preserve beach and it was beautiful as gently caress. Not crowded, no giant resorts with tons of people and miles of umbrellas. Much more natural sort of dunes and less trash washing up, etc. Would totally live there as a beach hermit if I could.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Leavemywife posted:

You get $20 off Disneyworld admission.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leavemywife posted:

Because you can be whacked right out of your skull and act it and everybody just takes it in stride as another Florida day.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

Meth

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I thought meth was the result, not cause?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cost of living is extremely cheap, there's some nice beaches that aren't entirely ruined by tourists and development, and you can be absolute human trash and not feel judged. Some people like it being warm all the time too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like my home state of Florida. :saddowns:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gatorland was pretty awesome. Is that still around?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gatorland was pretty awesome. Is that still around?

Yep, and still awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do idiots still let their kids sit on top of the railing so they can "see better" above a literal flooded pit of carnivorous monsters?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do people still bring marching bands?

Relevant bit starts 19:43 and takes a few minutes to get to the band.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do idiots still let their kids sit on top of the railing so they can "see better" above a literal flooded pit of carnivorous monsters?

I haven't seen that the last few times I've gone.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Come to North Dakota instead, there are no loving cockroaches in the entire state and there is also no wildlife that will eat you, unless you count the mosquitos.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Times, the most respectable paper and "paper of record", was an evening paper. The morning papers were (from the upper classes' point of view) trashy things aimed at the middle/working classes. It wasn't just making the Times, it was avoiding the tabloids.

You've got this completely backwards. The physician's stated reasoning was that the morning papers were respectable and the evening papers were less appropriate. That was why he was concerned about a newspaper which went to press at midnight. The papers which go to press at midnight are distributed in the morning.

"Dawson claimed that he acted to preserve the King's dignity, to prevent further strain on the family, and so that the King's death at 11:55 p.m. could be announced in the morning edition of The Times newspaper rather than "less appropriate ... evening journals"."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

Come to North Dakota instead, there are no loving cockroaches in the entire state and there is also no wildlife that will eat you, unless you count the mosquitos.

Also nothing cool

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Leavemywife posted:

1. look at this dude who's never had a proper Cuban sandwich
2. Taco Bus stubbornly refuses to locate outside of the Tampa area

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

1. look at this dude who's never had a proper Cuban sandwich
2. Taco Bus stubbornly refuses to locate outside of the Tampa area

Also it's home, my family goes back generations in Tampa.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Glazier posted:

Also it's home, my family goes back generations in Tampa.

So, 30 years?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also nothing cool
Just do what everyone else in North Dakota does: drink straight grain alcohol until sitting on the porch and staring at crops is fun.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, 30 years?

No! 31

vvv Or a python on Oxy! Don't pigeonhole the rednecks.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Mar 24, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Azathoth posted:

Just do what everyone else in North Dakota does: drink straight grain alcohol until sitting on the porch and staring at crops is fun.

Or you could do meth and try to fight a gator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Someone pls link to the west mesa bone collector post.

Also, podcasts in thread topic vein? I listen to sword and scale, casefile, lore, and astonishing legends.