Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Karen, change out of that night gown, this is a wedding for heaven's sakes!

That was the last true HM I played and I loved it. Do any of the other later ones have where I can become a land Baron as well?

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for 3DS is based around a game of where you place and customize buildings and decorations to build up a town, along with your farm.

I haven't played either of the Natsume-developed Harvest Moon games, The Lost Valley, and Skytree Village, but I seem to remember previews saying they were going in a more Minecraft direction, with more player customization. Fogu describes Skytree Village as, "It has many of the same features as Lost Valley such as building graphics, animals, crops, area layout (you grow things in the "valley" while the town is in another area), and controlling the land by raising or lowering areas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Catalina posted:

I haven't played either of the Natsume-developed Harvest Moon games, The Lost Valley, and Skytree Village, but I seem to remember previews saying they were going in a more Minecraft direction, with more player customization. Fogu describes Skytree Village as, "It has many of the same features as Lost Valley such as building graphics, animals, crops, area layout (you grow things in the "valley" while the town is in another area), and controlling the land by raising or lowering areas."

that sounds kinda bad, tbqh

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

They're awful, can confirm.

Inari, the boy version, triggered his confession event with me and uggghh he just seems so clingy and creepy. Is he any less weird as the girl version?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Man there are a lot of house upgrades in Trio of Towns. I built a Tropical Mansion and then the game was like "Ok lol now here are like, five new types of mansions you can build that don't correspond to the previously established Eastern/Western/Tropical motif"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TurnipFritter posted:

Man there are a lot of house upgrades in Trio of Towns. I built a Tropical Mansion and then the game was like "Ok lol now here are like, five new types of mansions you can build that don't correspond to the previously established Eastern/Western/Tropical motif"

Do they unlock new things?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

There's even more than that. The only place I've seen that has pics of all of them is a tumblr blog, here's some links if you want to check them out:

https://talesofthreetowns.tumblr.com/post/148108060910/house-upgrade-level-2-country-style-japanese

https://talesofthreetowns.tumblr.com/post/148314048120/house-upgrade-level-3-country-style-japanese

https://talesofthreetowns.tumblr.com/tagged/mitsusato-estate

I'm goin' for the wizard house.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Tired Moritz posted:

also surprised that there's fans of sunshine islands

When I had university lectures to get through without getting antsy, this was the perfect game to keep my hands busy while my head was learning. Aside from not being able to track what sun stones you've already collected it was the next step up from FoMT's controls after Islands of Happiness blew it by being fully touch-screen. And rivals!

Harvest Moon DS was on a similar level but far more routine, especially once winter fishing sprites glitched you all the money and you were grinding up turnips in your basement to level 100 because nothing else really mattered. I was going to fire up my copy to see who I was wooing a decade ago but it appears sometime in-between I decided to start over. I think it was Nami?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Do they unlock new things?

I think the big house with the bathroom is the last feature you unlock, everything else is just stylistic. Which, if I'm remembering right, means the upgrade sequence is: Starter House -> Upgraded House (Kitchen/Closet) -> Western/Eastern/Tropical House -> Big Western/Eastern Tropical House (Bathroom) -> Mansion

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 23, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I think I'm gonna go for the undersea mansion

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the big house with the bathroom is the last feature you unlock, everything else is just stylistic. Which, if I'm remembering right, means the upgrade sequence is: Starter House -> Upgraded House (Kitchen/Closet) -> Western/Eastern/Tropical House -> Big Western/Eastern Tropical House (Bathroom) -> Mansion

I think you need the Big House to be able to get the large bed and thus a child.

Mansions are just style tho.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

They're awful, can confirm.

Yeeeeah. Thanks for confirming. From the beginning, I've had a low impression: I was pretty annoyed with the whole "shadily using copyright to slap the brand name on a amateur-developed property" thing, and when I looked at the previews and style and decided it didn't look that great. The Amazon reviews are pretty low too...and lol that if you put The Lost Valley through fakespot.com you get a grade of F for the number of fake positive reviews.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
komari is extremely powerful.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Catalina posted:

Yeeeeah. Thanks for confirming. From the beginning, I've had a low impression: I was pretty annoyed with the whole "shadily using copyright to slap the brand name on a amateur-developed property" thing, and when I looked at the previews and style and decided it didn't look that great. The Amazon reviews are pretty low too...and lol that if you put The Lost Valley through fakespot.com you get a grade of F for the number of fake positive reviews.

Yea it's like they went "hmmm, kids like minecraft right? let's shove that in here, instant hit" and are just trying to profit off the title as long as they can until people wise up.

komari is indeed very powerful, i agree

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Is Komari... the best girl?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Is Komari... the best girl?

perhaps

If I was playing a dude I would probably marry her or Siluka, they seem very chill and fun. I also like Lisette because I am an old lady (27, but my spirit animal is definitely a sweet old grandma) who loves flowers and soft colors and she is all about that game.

I thought I was going to go for Ludus, but he is so into the whole friendship and seeing you as a sister thing that it seems like it would be really weird. Ford, the ultimate nerd and who my husband thinks is actually a woman based on his portrait, is probably the guy I'm gonna hitch with this time around. Wayne is super sweet, too!

I feel like all the bachelors are a lot better than in the last one. :3:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

A Spider Covets posted:

I thought I was going to go for Ludus, but he is so into the whole friendship and seeing you as a sister thing that it seems like it would be really weird.

Ludus's flower events actually get hilarious because of him at first trying to treat you like a sibling and how much he freaks out about it later.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

A Spider Covets posted:

perhaps

If I was playing a dude I would probably marry her or Siluka, they seem very chill and fun. I also like Lisette because I am an old lady (27, but my spirit animal is definitely a sweet old grandma) who loves flowers and soft colors and she is all about that game.

I thought I was going to go for Ludus, but he is so into the whole friendship and seeing you as a sister thing that it seems like it would be really weird. Ford, the ultimate nerd and who my husband thinks is actually a woman based on his portrait, is probably the guy I'm gonna hitch with this time around. Wayne is super sweet, too!

That actually came up in Ludus' events after you start dating and it has a nice resolution. I am glad I married Ludus. He is really sweet and he named our baby Moana.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

drat it, I had planned to do all 5 bachelors' heart events, but I kept inadvertently triggering Ludus's events, and now we're going steady.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Catalina posted:

drat it, I had planned to do all 5 bachelors' heart events, but I kept inadvertently triggering Ludus's events, and now we're going steady.

You could have said no. If you change your mind later, you can still pick him. Also don't carry the pendant around in your bag. It is super easy to get reverse events in this game, like without even trying.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You can't hook up with every boy?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

You can't hook up with every boy?

You can play the field for a while, but eventually you have to choose one. Or don't and stay single forever!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Ouch, my completionist brain.

Rune factory let me slut it up. :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fru Fru posted:

You could have said no. If you change your mind later, you can still pick him. Also don't carry the pendant around in your bag. It is super easy to get reverse events in this game, like without even trying.

Oh, I knew that. It's just, he was my favorite and the 3rd heart event was so sweet. I didn't have the willpower not to go out with him after that.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

That actually came up in Ludus' events after you start dating and it has a nice resolution. I am glad I married Ludus. He is really sweet and he named our baby Moana.

drat, Disney is going to sue the poo poo out of Xseed

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

perhaps

Once my character started dating Siluka, she took every opportunity to tell him how Ludus is kind of an airhead, and coming from Siluka that's saying a lot.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

drat, i wanna play this! get released for PAL already! stupidass region locks!

the bachelors in the last game really weren't all that great. the only guy i even considered was the rich girl's gardener, and since both he and my character are dark-skinned i was curious to see if we'd still end up with white babies. i think i got burned out on grinding for the last 2 shops before i got around to marriage tho. :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

This game even has unique dialogue when I gift wrap an offering and throw it in the spring. It owns.

Corridor posted:

drat, i wanna play this! get released for PAL already! stupidass region locks!

Ugh, that sucks. I think happy thoughts towards a PAL release in case that'll help it happen sooner. Maybe even pray to the harvest goddess.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank u, NTSC friend

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

thank u, NTSC friend

Hahahaha. No, I'm USA, I've just always felt bad for my NTSC friends, ever since the SNES days.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Catalina posted:

Hahahaha. No, I'm USA, I've just always felt bad for my NTSC friends, ever since the SNES days.

NTSC is America, as opposed to PAL for Europe.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

NTSC is America, as opposed to PAL for Europe.

*face in hands* Oh yeah...that's right...

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I know everyone here probably already saves before festivals, but in case you don't you should start doing that. I just got to a glitched drink festival that I can't participate in no matter what I try. After the "let me take you to the festival" part, both screens just stay white. The festival music plays but the picture never loads. I tried again after reloading and the same thing happened, then I tried again with a different fruit from my bag and the same thing happened. So I just gave up. I am in year 4 so maybe everyone is just tired of me winning everything.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Fru Fru posted:

I know everyone here probably already saves before festivals, but in case you don't you should start doing that. I just got to a glitched drink festival that I can't participate in no matter what I try. After the "let me take you to the festival" part, both screens just stay white. The festival music plays but the picture never loads. I tried again after reloading and the same thing happened, then I tried again with a different fruit from my bag and the same thing happened. So I just gave up. I am in year 4 so maybe everyone is just tired of me winning everything.

I've read that there's a glitch with the beverage festival if you marry Ludus. I was actually leaning towards marrying him until I heard about that issue...I hope it can be patched.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Maerlyn posted:

I've read that there's a glitch with the beverage festival if you marry Ludus. I was actually leaning towards marrying him until I heard about that issue...I hope it can be patched.

Well I guess that would be my problem. The beverage fest is basically worthless after a certain point so I don't mind as long as all the other festivals still work.

Also, this is only the Lulukoko fest that is broken. Pretty sure I did one of the tea festivals and it was fine.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Skytree Village wasn't too bad. It just suffers a lot from the whole 'rng mutation system', the fact that winter kills the poo poo out of your crops - as does fog, etc, and - blargh, I need to write this all down. The DLC bachelor and bachelorette are fun. Just sucks you have to do all 10 of their personal requests and it likes to mix in personal and seasonal requests. A lot of it feels like dragging out by RNG, and that bites.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of hooking up, how high a "flower" can I see of the other candidates before I settle for one Ludus?

My current situation is that I'm at a red flower with Ludus, but green with everyone else. Can I just get like, two pendants/combs and get all the other dudes to a marriage state before choosing one? Or am I locked out once I agreed to be Ludus' girlfriend?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

Speaking of hooking up, how high a "flower" can I see of the other candidates before I settle for one Ludus?

My current situation is that I'm at a red flower with Ludus, but green with everyone else. Can I just get like, two pendants/combs and get all the other dudes to a marriage state before choosing one? Or am I locked out once I agreed to be Ludus' girlfriend?

Yeah you are locked out once you start dating.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, all marriage candidates have 2 gender neutral events that anyone can see and 2 locked to light green/dark green flower level you can only see if your character is the opposite gender and you aren't dating/married. Inari and the DLC candidates have fewer than everyone else.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah, all marriage candidates have 2 gender neutral events that anyone can see and 2 locked to light green/dark green flower level you can only see if your character is the opposite gender and you aren't dating/married. Inari and the DLC candidates have fewer than everyone else.

nuts, i always liked playing the field...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
isn't there a breaking up system or you're stuck if you picked someone you don't like

• Locked thread