Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This might be a stupid question but I bought a tablet stand with one of those spring loaded clasps on it. It's padded with rubber so that won't damage the rails for the joycons on the system itself right? Anyone use one on the Switch yet?

This is the one I got here: https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck-Nintendo-Cellphone-Bracket/dp/B01AUQ33LG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hungry Computer posted:

Thanks for the info. I was worried because that joy-con doesn't have any problem staying attached to the grip, just the system itself. Not a huge deal since I don't have any real reason to hold the switch in a way that causes the joy-con to slide off. You can buy individual joy-cons, but at $65 :canada: I think I'll just try fixing it myself.

Nintendo will likely fix it for free give them a call and tell them what it's doing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is the easiest way to get the ball rolling on getting my Left Joy-con fixed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This might be a stupid question but I bought a tablet stand with one of those spring loaded clasps on it. It's padded with rubber so that won't damage the rails for the joycons on the system itself right? Anyone use one on the Switch yet?

This is the one I got here: https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck-Nintendo-Cellphone-Bracket/dp/B01AUQ33LG

I love that the photo they have of it in use is it not being used

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, there's some good poo poo here!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Suaimhneas posted:

They don't have daily schedules, the only reason they'll move from their usual spot is if you've met the requirements for their next sidequest.

It's still stupid because
1) Their absence is the only sign that they have a sidequest available. If you don't know this (the game does not tell you) then you'll just think that you forgot where to find them, or it's the wrong time of day or something.
2) There's no indication of where they've moved to, so you either have to scour the city to find them or look up a guide
3) There's no purpose to them moving, all it does is waste your time. It's not like they go to some place relevant to the sidequest, they just quietly disappear to some other random place in the city
4) All this is on top of the fact that there's no earthly reason to have to go to a specific place around the city for each character you want to swap into your party in the first place, when this could be done in a fraction of the time using a loving menu

:psyduck:

No, they did have daily schedules. Lin for example would be in one of the hangars from like 7pm-12am every day if she wasn't in your party. Murderess would be somewehre else in the afternoon or whatever.

It was pretty dumb but I'd just rest til a time where they would be where I wanted them so it didn't really matter much

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My wired connection is having issues. I just swapped my adapter over from the Wii U and now it's telling me that there's a connection, but I can't get into the eShop. I can post screenshots to twitter, but that's it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm glad I got my Switch in time to play the Splatoon beta, but according to the schedule it looks like I could maybe play for... two hours? I really hope nothing comes up in my real life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Astro7x posted:

What is the easiest way to get the ball rolling on getting my Left Joy-con fixed?

Post on internet forums

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Bombadilillo posted:

That would have been useful. The armor that upgrades breaks the game. If you save and reload before a guardian fight you get new drops, you can get 2 cores to drop from one!

But I would have happily bought them with my infinite money and gems.

Did you put your strap on backwards? That gives you permanent wiggle. #gooddesign

I put the straps on backwards on both of my joycons and have no wiggle brother

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Who was arguing that disposable weapons are nothing like ammunition? Because seriously, look at those guns.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

whaley posted:

The chosen one has been found

I knew a lot of that Zelda list but cutting down a tree with a fire weapon auto making a campfire would have been very useful

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My wired connection is having issues. I just swapped my adapter over from the Wii U and now it's telling me that there's a connection, but I can't get into the eShop. I can post screenshots to twitter, but that's it.

I'd reboot the system, hold power down until you get such an option.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Astro7x posted:

1 (800) 255-3700 is Nintendo's repair/customer service number. Call them and tell them you'd like to submit a faulty Joy-Con under warranty. If they tell you to send in the entire system, make some loud coughing/sneezing noise while hanging up, and keep calling back until someone says yea go ahead and send the Joy-Con in.

You should get a postage paid label emailed to you, put that poo poo in a box and send it off.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

whaley posted:

Yeah, I've stupidly done it twice to the left joycon, but no wiggle.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the eShop might be down, I can't access it either on my wireless connection.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think the reason people accidentally put the wrist straps on wrong the first time is because it's backwards to putting the joycon on the switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They could definitely make those plus and minus symbols more visible.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

shortspecialbus posted:

No, they did have daily schedules. Lin for example would be in one of the hangars from like 7pm-12am every day if she wasn't in your party. Murderess would be somewehre else in the afternoon or whatever.

It was pretty dumb but I'd just rest til a time where they would be where I wanted them so it didn't really matter much

I can only assume i blocked this fact from my memory. Hooray, it's even stupider than I remembered it being!

You also reminded me of the fact that there's a character who everyone calls Murderess, because she's known for murdering her coworkers, and she's allowed to go on being a soldier because... ????

Okay i guess she's only destroying their proxy bodies and their real bodies are in storage, but still you'd think they'd suspend her and give her a psych evaluation or something, jeez

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

You shouldn't be able to make that mistake.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Wendell posted:

Up until a month or so ago I hadn't played any competitive shooters, but there was a free Call of Duty beta thing so I tried it out. My entire brief time playing it was spent immediately dying any time I dared to move. As an inexperienced player it was not fun at all! I hope Splatoon goes better for me.

They do a pretty good job in Splatoon grouping by skill level in Ranked Battles, so you shouldn't get crushed by pros, generally.

On that note I'm kinda hoping we don't need to grind in Turf Wars to Level 10 before doing Ranked Battles this time, but probably...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Deltron 3030 posted:

They do a pretty good job in Splatoon grouping by skill level in Ranked Battles, so you shouldn't get crushed by pros, generally.

On that note I'm kinda hoping we don't need to grind in Turf Wars to Level 10 before doing Ranked Battles this time, but probably...

For a test fire it's going to be everyone mashed together so you're going to have to deal with some old pros like me who are going to make you hate life. BUT the beauty of this game is you can just shot the floor away from everyone else and be doing more good than some splat happy jerk like me as far as winning the match.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deltron 3030 posted:

Ranked requires you to level up a bit and also for a certain number of people to hit the magical level. I remember ranked wasn't unlocked for a bit when the game launched. I know it was unlocked faster than the devs thought it would be though! Unranked should be fine though since there should be tons of new players on the first few days. If you buy a Call of Duty game the first month or so you can find games with people that are just as bad as you until they all go do something else and only the die hard guys are left and kick your rear end with their 10 more years of experience all while your team throws racial slurs at you for being bad.

CoD has such a toxic community. Unlike Splatoon which has an awesome community that just wants to help you be a squid, and a kid!

Also no matter how bad you are, shooting the floor for more points is always helpful. If you are bad you can feel like you are helping by avoiding combat and shooting up alternate lanes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Wendell posted:

Up until a month or so ago I hadn't played any competitive shooters, but there was a free Call of Duty beta thing so I tried it out. My entire brief time playing it was spent immediately dying any time I dared to move. As an inexperienced player it was not fun at all! I hope Splatoon goes better for me.

splatoon is a much more casual shooter designed for people who havnt spent a lot of time on them previously so you should be fine

new phone who dis posted:

CoD has the distinction of having been relatively the same for a decade running and a lovely player base overly dedicated to a mediocre shooter. It's probably one of the worst online communities you could try to get into, especially if shooters aren't your thing.

this is just completely untrue, and there is a wonderful SA community of cod players. if anyone needs some fun people to play with you should check out the cod thread and add some people! :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

pixaal posted:

If you buy a Call of Duty game the first month or so you can find games with people that are just as bad as you until they all go do something else and only the die hard guys are left and kick your rear end with their 10 more years of experience all while your team throws racial slurs at you for being bad.

CoD has such a toxic community. Unlike Splatoon which has an awesome community that just wants to help you be a squid, and a kid!

Also no matter how bad you are, shooting the floor for more points is always helpful. If you are bad you can feel like you are helping by avoiding combat and shooting up alternate lanes.

if you encounter anyone throwing around slurs on an online game, you should report them! on ps4 at least sony doesnt take kindly to it and does take action against them :)

also its not really like that, it has skill based matchmaking so although your first few games may involve some more experienced players, once you have played a few games it matches you to other people at your level to provide a fun and level playing field for everyone :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The cod thread is a great thread and we have good people to play cod with but we all kinda gave up on the current cod (it's real bad)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The cod thread is a great thread and we have good people to play cod with but we all kinda gave up on the current cod (it's real bad)

its ok, black ops 3 is still around! any switch thread posters with a ps4 who want to play some cod should join in and have fun online! :)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I still resent Infinite Warfare for holding Modern Warfare HD hostage with the bad special edition but I waited until Black Friday and got said bad special edition at regular retail version price and have since never touched Infinite Warfare because it's bad.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Store had one left.
Drive 24 miles
Work day lunch
Few around
It's gone
It's gone

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just wish Call of Duty wasn't so violent. Maybe in the credits of the game you could have a scene where you are the protagonist and you visit the wounded soldiers in the hospital and press X to shake their hands so you can see they're alright.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh lol, I wouldn't want to pay shipping from there for sure.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

new phone who dis posted:

CoD has the distinction of having been relatively the same for a decade running and a lovely player base overly dedicated to a mediocre shooter. It's probably one of the worst online communities you could try to get into, especially if shooters aren't your thing.

While being relatively the same for a decade is a distinction, "lovely pubbie player base" is pretty much the case for any game with competitive online multiplayer that's been out for more than a month. Playing with goons is usually a pretty good way around it but "competitive spirit" aka "I've been playing this game for longer than you and if you did something incorrect I have no problem telling you to go kill yourself" seems to be more the norm than not if you play with randos.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

While being relatively the same for a decade is a distinction, "lovely pubbie player base" is pretty much the case for any game with competitive online multiplayer that's been out for more than a month. Playing with goons is usually a pretty good way around it but "competitive spirit" aka "I've been playing this game for longer than you and if you did something incorrect I have no problem telling you to go kill yourself" seems to be more the norm than not if you play with randos.
Which is why I filled some version of this thread countering that we're not missing jack not having voice chat with multiplayer, cause it's rarely useful and usually a drag.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

nah i like being able to talk to my friends while playing video games in multiplayer modes

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Policenaut posted:

nah i like being able to talk to my friends while playing video games in multiplayer modes

Just use the U.S. Postal Service, dude.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a fair share of lovely user base in Splatoon also. Game is great but all online multiplayer games have their cancers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How does that work with so little communication? Do they post on Miiverse that someone sucks?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

They use chargers

Or dynamo rollers

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

They use chargers

Or dynamo rollers