Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I mean the point may not have been to drown bugs but if I see bugs and have access to water, them fuckers are on a one-way trip to drown town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

big scary monsters posted:

has anyone hosed all eight sexes?

im still working on getting to one

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

welcome 2 the cyberhole

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anaconda Rifle posted:

pounded in the butt by the abstract notion of distinct sexes

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

we finally found the source of all that lovely vapourwave

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

if you want to play with this yourself get to Pittsburgh, go to the carnegie science center, go to the h2oh exhibits, look for virtual watershed

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/exhibits/h2oh-field-station/

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Yospos background

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

seems kind of morbid for little kids. maybe not japan?
kids love drowning bugs tho

Anaconda Rifle posted:

with this new knowledge, one is the same as none. you ain't had sex at all until you've had sex with three sexes minumum

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Binary Badger posted:

if you want to play with this yourself get to Pittsburgh, go to the carnegie science center, go to the h2oh exhibits, look for virtual watershed

http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/exhibits/h2oh-field-station/

there;s a similar thing at NEMO in amsterdam but with sandbags instead of sand. as far as i could make out the idea is to destroy the dykes to allow dutch villages to return to the sea where they belong

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

as far as i could make out the idea is to destroy the dykes

man and i thought they were tolerant over there, guess i was wrong!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

the system!!!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
mate the country's greatest hero is the boy who plugged a dyke's hole with his finger, and a local politician is so impressed he leads a national campaign to have every dykehole in the land filled by likely young dutch lads

of course that story isn't meant to be taken literally, it's actually an allegory for why zwarte piet is cool and good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what a surprise, a dentist who is a cruel sadist

well his temperament's wrong for the priesthood

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
new carb oys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFI4z9lWNk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

good because i only go to places i like

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

chances are you already know the person who kills you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

like, ½

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well his temperament's wrong for the priesthood

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/aRPnV9N.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the ugly pen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
here's a thing someone made to allow people to create idiot looping flow diagrams

http://bit.ly/2nNDPS1

pram
Jun 10, 2001

here's a thing someone made to allow people to create idiot looping flow diagrams

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

its beautiful

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W44NWYwa1g

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, how specific are we talking about here? a ton of people die in hospital beds that they didn't get into until they were near death. you could use "the specific hospital" as the place, and then by the time you die you've already been there on many occasions probably, but probably not always the same room. and if it's like "chances are you've already been to the city you will die in," then like, duh, a lot of people never even leave their hometown.

i'm upset at the shallowness of this statement

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nice

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

When I go to Hong Kong it always blows my mind when I see mall workers using abacuses instead of tills.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

a lot of people never even leave their hometown.

just think, before the internet you almost never even had to think of these people unless you visited their hometown. now you get to read their lovely provincial opinions every single day

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dillbag posted:

When I go to Hong Kong it always blows my mind when I see mall workers using abacuses instead of tills.

feynman has a neat story about that

quote:

A Japanese man came into the restaurant. I had seen him before, wandering around; he was trying to sell abacuses. He started to talk to the waiters, and challenged them: He said he could add numbers faster than any of them could do.

The waiters didn't want to lose face, so they said, "Yeah, yeah. Why don't you go over and challenge the customer over there?"

The man came over. I protested, "But I don't speak Portuguese well!"

The waiters laughed. "The numbers are easy," they said.

They brought me a paper and pencil.

The man asked a waiter to call out some numbers to add. He beat me hollow, because while I was writing the numbers down, he was already adding them as he went along.

I suggested that the waiter write down two identical lists of numbers and hand them to us at the same time. It didn't make much difference. He still beat me by quite a bit.

However, the man got a little bit excited: he wanted to prove himself some more. "Multiplicação!" he said.

Somebody wrote down a problem. He beat me again, but not by much, because I'm pretty good at products.

The man then made a mistake: he proposed we go on to division. What he didn't realize was, the harder the problem, the better chance I had.

We both did a long division problem. It was a tie.

The bothered the hell out of the Japanese man, because he was apparently well trained on the abacus, and here he was almost beaten by this customer in a restaurant.

"Raios cubicos!" he says with a vengeance. Cube roots! He wants to do cube roots by arithmetic. It's hard to find a more difficult fundamental problem in arithmetic. It must have been his topnotch exercise in abacus-land.

He writes down a number on some paper— any old number— and I still remember it: 1729.03. He starts working on it, mumbling and grumbling: "Mmmmmmagmmmmbrrr"— he's working like a demon! He's poring away, doing this cube root.

Meanwhile I'm just sitting there.

One of the waiters says, "What are you doing?".

I point to my head. "Thinking!" I say. I write down 12 on the paper. After a little while I've got 12.002.

The man with the abacus wipes the sweat off his forehead: "Twelve!" he says.

"Oh, no!" I say. "More digits! More digits!" I know that in taking a cube root by arithmetic, each new digit is even more work that the one before. It's a hard job.

He buries himself again, grunting "Rrrrgrrrrmmmmmm ...," while I add on two more digits. He finally lifts his head to say, "12.01!"

The waiter are all excited and happy. They tell the man, "Look! He does it only by thinking, and you need an abacus! He's got more digits!"

He was completely washed out, and left, humiliated. The waiters congratulated each other.

How did the customer beat the abacus?

The number was 1729.03. I happened to know that a cubic foot contains 1728 cubic inches, so the answer is a tiny bit more than 12. The excess, 1.03 is only one part in nearly 2000, and I had learned in calculus that for small fractions, the cube root's excess is one-third of the number's excess. So all I had to do is find the fraction 1/1728, and multiply by 4 (divide by 3 and multiply by 12). So I was able to pull out a whole lot of digits that way.

A few weeks later, the man came into the cocktail lounge of the hotel I was staying at. He recognized me and came over. "Tell me," he said, "how were you able to do that cube-root problem so fast?"

I started to explain that it was an approximate method, and had to do with the percentage of error. "Suppose you had given me 28. Now the cube root of 27 is 3 ..."

He picks up his abacus: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz— "Oh yes," he says.

I realized something: he doesn't know numbers. With the abacus, you don't have to memorize a lot of arithmetic combinations; all you have to do is to learn to push the little beads up and down. You don't have to memorize 9+7=16; you just know that when you add 9, you push a ten's bead up and pull a one's bead down. So we're slower at basic arithmetic, but we know numbers.

Furthermore, the whole idea of an approximate method was beyond him, even though a cubic root often cannot be computed exactly by any method. So I never could teach him how I did cube roots or explain how lucky I was that he happened to choose 1729.03

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

feynman has a neat story about that

the shit_that_didn't_happen.txt thread is thataway ---->

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i mean of all the poo poo that didn't happened that's pretty high on the unhappening scale

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

richard feynman was a solid candidate for The Most Interesting Man In The World.

most people's lives are boring, but statistically, some people's aren't

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Holy poo poo, that beat lined up perfectly with your AV when I clicked to listen

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

richard feynman was a solid candidate for The Most Interesting Man In The World.

most people's lives are boring, but statistically, some people's aren't

he even managed to make his bedridden death from cancer cool

according to his daughter, one of the last things he did on his deathbead, (unable to talk and with most of his family believing he was too far gone to know what was going on) was roll up his sleeves and show everyone in the room he had nothing up them, like a magician performing his final trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

lmao

• Locked thread