Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's more likely that Scott Buck went "yo I can do this real fuckin quick and for cheap" and that's why he got hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Arist posted:

I think it's more likely that Scott Buck went "yo I can do this real fuckin quick and for cheap" and that's why he got hired.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive given how long it took to even get started.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Stunt Rock posted:

I am still excited for The Defenders since the short episode order gives them less time to gently caress up the pacing and less time to spend with Danny Rand.

I'm positive they'll try to fit something stupid in there.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Oh Snapple! posted:

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive given how long it took to even get started.

His hiring as Inhumans showrunner certainly suggests that Marvel Television was happy with his work, and I suspect this is more because he offered Loeb, Perlmutter, etc. little to no pushback than because the Marvel execs are delusional about his level of talent. Not that we're ever likely to get the full story, just my guess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Is the main character in Legion still going nuts every other scene? The constant trippiness in the pilot got really tiring.

I mean that's the genre kinda. Like how Iron Fist was supposed to be about kung fu, Legion is a head trip in 8 episodes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

His hiring as Inhumans showrunner certainly suggests that Marvel Television was happy with his work, and I suspect this is more because he offered Loeb, Perlmutter, etc. little to no pushback than because the Marvel execs are delusional about his level of talent. Not that we're ever likely to get the full story, just my guess.

I can't wait to see an Inhuman adaptation that removes everything unique and interesting about the Inhumans.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I can't wait to see an Inhuman adaptation that removes everything unique and interesting about the Inhumans.

Inhumans: A story about a gritty gang of vigilantes, fighting for redemption against the terrifying Hand in the mean streets of midtown Manhattan.

Each episode ends with them laying down graffitti marking a particular victory.

"Lay it down man. Some.....eh......Hue......man!"

I'm so sorry.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just want Stick to show up in the Defenders and berate all of them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

notthegoatseguy posted:

I can't wait for the twitter fallout about how Black Bolt is a white dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

As Nero Danced posted:

I just want Stick to show up in the Defenders and berate all of them.

Danny could really use a good Stick berating.

Saint Freak posted:

I can't wait for the twitter fallout about how Black Bolt is a white dude.

Dude, they prefer Lunar American.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I thought it was mooninite

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Better yet, Lei Kung & Stick co-op berating.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Despite Scott Buck being in charge they seem to be using a CGI Lockjaw which is more than I can say he did for IF.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched episode 7. It wasn't as good as episode 6, but better than 1-5. Here are my random thoughts

Joy needs to be more involved with stuff. I'm tired of superhero tv shows having a female character that never gets told anything

I'm all for women's lib and stuff, but the shot where Danny had a woman defenseless on the table and threatened to break her arm made me kinda uncomfortable

Danny wearing white sneakers is the worst affectation. It doesn't make him look fun and casual, it makes him look childish.

The black guy who said "don't be a jackass, Danny" is my favorite character. Maybe in all of fiction. He is undeniably the real hero of the show.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"It means I never lose" :lol: who wrote this poo poo?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

notthegoatseguy posted:

"It means I never lose" :lol: who wrote this poo poo?

It made me think he to beat someone in Davos' position to death for the job.

Like, "If you can't handle raising a puppy during training, how can you handle life's responsibilities while being a spy?," followed by, "And now to conclude your spy training: Strangle the puppy."

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also did Claire take the guy to the hospital that she knows is controlled by The Hand?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Claire's role in this is really loving weird because suddenly she is a ninja badass with fighting claws or some poo poo. What?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They really should've done a subplot about Danny getting his GED

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone had to put iron on their fists. Danny loving wasn't.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

notthegoatseguy posted:

Also did Claire take the guy to the hospital that she knows is controlled by The Hand?

Do they control it? They attacked it, and the hospital covered it up because it all sounds loving nuts*. I don't think the coverup was directed by the Hand.

*I guess even in a world where "my home was destroyed when invading aliens were fought off by a billionaire, a Norse god, a WW2 mascot, and some kind of rage monster" is a totally normal and believable sentence, people are skeptical of "immortal ninjas did it."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Danny literally has what a 4th Grade education and has been in a Monastery for 15 years. Like why would he even know anything about anything really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DareDevil is the only character I feel like I have some handle on what their deal is. Luke, Jessica- did not finish the show so I can't comment-, and Danny I have a harder time putting things together- to- no idea.

Danny is the immortal living weapon sworn to destroy The Hand. Unless it involves injuring or killing anyone. I've seen more tire-resistant squirrels, compared to how easily Danny's chi gets polluted all the time. Also, god drat, what a let down to have a magical chi punchman be held back by simple restraints and drugs. I was really expecting to see them doing more with Iron Fist powers besides 'punch real good' and that took so long to show up. Healing was the obvious one, but I was kinda hoping to see him put his chi into other people and make them bullet proof so they're a much better human shield than just his hand.

I have no idea how Danny expected being the Iron Fist to work out once The Hand was confirmed to exist. Was he just going to pulverize every single member's bones till they're basically sand and we go from humans to just sacks of meat and water as their bones are completely annihilated? The hell was the plan there?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 24, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Does Danny even kill anyone in this. I honestly can't remember.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Does Danny even kill anyone in this. I honestly can't remember.

No, they make a huge loving deal about how killing someone will turn your soul black or whatever the gently caress so we can moralize about the wrongness of taking a life.

Really just makes me want them to have to deal with Wolverine so very little poo poo about lives throughout a show too.

It was something like 'Taking a life is wrong, no matter why or who does it.'

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I guess Danny is going to arrest The Hand?

Is Kun Lun a prison?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Danny literally has what a 4th Grade education and has been in a Monastery for 15 years. Like why would he even know anything about anything really.

I wasn't kidding, a story about Danny getting his GED would be great. That really what they should've done with the character; his life has made him the best ever at martial arts, but terrible at everything else. He shouldn't know how to drive a car. after fifteen years of torture in a magic monastery, he should've forgotten even the basics of life in the modern world. But he has achieved inner peace, clarity, and purpose. While the other Defenders kept secrets and tried to do everything by themselves, Danny is completely open and willing to rely on other people

Instead he's just a really stupid douche

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a good thing his dad taught him how to drive a car!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
As open as Danny is about telling everyone he meets about magical kung fu cities and evil ninjas, it's pretty lucky that he never brought it up in a press conference or interview.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Guy Goodbody posted:

Danny wearing white sneakers is the worst affectation. It doesn't make him look fun and casual, it makes him look childish.

All I could think of was Howard Hughes in the Aviator, and I imagine that's all the thought they put into it- "make him dress like an eccentric billionaire." Of course instead of the shoes being part of a neurosis they just look dumb in this show.

And also, man Danny's excuse for coming back was weak, and really cheapened his character altogether. Did he read the job description at all when he volunteered to be Iron Fist, because 'guard the gates of heaven" really shouldn't be confused with "as soon as the gates open up, haul rear end to the other side of the planet."

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

Claire's role in this is really loving weird because suddenly she is a ninja badass with fighting claws or some poo poo. What?

Look, it's really hosed up how everyone else's first instinct is violence. Danny and Coleen should probably look into getting help and rethink their flirtations with killing people.

*fairly casually rakes sharpened metal claws across the throat and chest area of a man. Hit's him a couple more times for good measure*

Really disappointed in you guys. Maybe you'll grow up one day and realize violence isn't the answer. *takes claws on way out and smiles*

Should have gone with some non-blindingly white shoes. Some Chuck Taylors would have gotten the same message across without looking hideous. Plus they could have gotten some product placement money.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 24, 2017

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
It's just astounding how loving stupid Danny is and how he doesn't seem to learn a single goddamn thing throughout the entire series.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stunt Rock posted:

It's just astounding how loving stupid Danny is and how he doesn't seem to learn a single goddamn thing throughout the entire series.

He learned that he's terrible at business and that it's okay to charge dying Africans more for the pills that will save their lives.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stunt Rock posted:

Maybe this is all meta commentary on cultural appropriation and the white savior story :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He learned that he's terrible at business and that it's okay to charge dying Africans more for the pills that will save their lives.

I think what I liked best about the magic medicine pill scene is that the first thing the board does when talking about jacking up the price is pat themselves on the back over how much they'll be able to pump into Research and Development to create future magic medicine pills. Not profits or how this will increase share price, pure joy over pumping millions of dollars into research on other miracle cures.

And then Danny immediately asks why they can't just sell at cost, and nobody reiterates R&D or even tries and haggle over how much over cost to charge so they can put money into R&D.

Edit: What does Rand Inc. do anyway? These are the business decisions that we see Rand Inc. make: Buy a pier, invent a cure for a disease, buy a building that contains 1 dojo, own chemical plants, have a vast shipping network, get in on the ground floor for an opioid addiction cure, sell super heroin, have a power plant.

I'm not saying multinationals don't have their hands in a bunch of pies, but it would be nice for some sort of primary business description.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 24, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Do they control it? They attacked it, and the hospital covered it up because it all sounds loving nuts*. I don't think the coverup was directed by the Hand.

*I guess even in a world where "my home was destroyed when invading aliens were fought off by a billionaire, a Norse god, a WW2 mascot, and some kind of rage monster" is a totally normal and believable sentence, people are skeptical of "immortal ninjas did it."

I vaguely remember The Hand's business front making a donation or something to the hospital, and that's why Claire ended up quitting because they were covering it up out of a financial interest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh, Danny also learned not to comfort grief stricken parents without stopping and considering whether they had any ulterior motives.

It would have been amazing if the Hand had tried to lure him into a trap and he used his newfound business acumen to confound them.
"Oh kind sir I need a few dollars to buy pills for my sick child, would you step this way?"
"Why certainly I wwwWAIT A MINUTE"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Stunt Rock posted:

He spent his life having 'kill the Hand' drilled into him and he doesn't even retain that lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm all for women's lib and stuff, but the shot where Danny had a woman defenseless on the table and threatened to break her arm made me kinda uncomfortable

A woman that was quite happy that their synthetic-heroine has found a larger demand than expected :colbert: But then again:

RareAcumen posted:

No, they make a huge loving deal about how killing someone will turn your soul black or whatever the gently caress so we can moralize about the wrongness of taking a life.

Really just makes me want them to have to deal with Wolverine so very little poo poo about lives throughout a show too.

It was something like 'Taking a life is wrong, no matter why or who does it.'

I think there's a difference between killing invaders that want to pillage K'un-L'un, and him killing Harold out of revenge, which goes along with the common tone of the other shows (except Jessica Jones, because gently caress Kilgrave).