Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Friendly Humour posted:

Ok so it's a series of increasingly more powerful people who get to veto and overrule anything people below them do without discussion or need for compromise? That doesn't really sound like something that's going to work without intensely personal ties of loyalty binding the hierarchy together, but I guess easy enough for me to speak.

The governors can themselves be overruled by their own state legislatures and state judiciaries, as well as being able to be overruled by various federal level things. They also don't really have unlimited powers over smaller municipalities straight up, it's governed by various laws and such. They can also be removed from office via an impeachment proceeding.

Now obviously when a particular government becomes really corrupt, the checks and balances and levels of mediated authority go out the window, but that's because the laws aren't being followed anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Friendly Humour posted:

Ok so it's a series of increasingly more powerful people who get to veto and overrule anything people below them do without discussion or need for compromise? That doesn't really sound like something that's going to work without intensely personal ties of loyalty binding the hierarchy together, but I guess easy enough for me to speak.

I think it's a situation like you get in the US when e.g. the Republicans hold both Congress and Supreme Court majorities as well as the Presidency. For something like that to work out, you kind of depend on the majority being reasonable, non-corrupt and acting in good faith. When they're not, well :shrug:

Friendly Humour posted:

But yeah, stupid question. People do not ever rebel until they get hungry and bored, no point asking for more reasons. The local rebellions I know very little about seemed pretty interesting, but I don't understand why these movements don't try to link up and cooperate? Just poverty and the usual alienation of isolated communities? What was the shadow government thing about? Just the usual social democrats throwing up a hissy fit about corruption? Cheers and good night!

Not really an expert, but the armed movements have typically been local and mostly care about local issues afaict.

The shadow government thing came out of suspicions that the 2006 elections were stolen, following an extremely dirty/bitter campaign. In retrospect I think it looked a little like this US election year in that it fit a globalist establishment vs. anti-globalist anti-establishment narrative. Officially, the former won by a hair. I... have my own dumb opinions on this, but it's still controversial and really not worth relitigating here :sun:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Welp, guess which president has a shitly cropped official portrait now.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Negrostrike posted:

That's my president!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

C...Christopher Lee?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Negrostrike posted:

The man has a really punchable face.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
In recent news:

Chile decides to burn this motherfucker to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JszXMocYnxA

On the lighter side, the huge cloud of smoke drifting over Santiago and blotting out the sun might moderate the recent heat wave!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

the huge cloud of smoke drifting over Santiago and blotting out the sun
But what's changed?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Temer decided to nominate Cunha's former defense attorney to the supreme court, where he will take over the Lava Jato case. I am sure he will be impartial and promote justice, as opposed to being just the partisan hack he's been his entire career.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I prefer to watch the Trump dumpster fire because holy gently caress no country deserves the PMDB

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Transmetropolitan posted:

I prefer to watch the Trump dumpster fire because holy gently caress no country deserves the PMDB

At least Americans can believe Trump is just a phase, we're kinda stuck with those fucks for a while.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
To add further context to Joepinetree's post, Brasil is going through a wave of prison riots with dead well into the triple digits, police strikes that have some states literally on fire, flaring violence and protests...

And the government's thinking is to give the guy who was at the whell for all of that, who said that his priority is to wipe marijuana off the contiment, a promotion to the most sensitive institution in the land.

And funnily enough, no big marches of yellow-wearing patriots lately!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Brazil : export-class corruption

The Odebrecht case has spilt over latin america like an overflowing sub-imperialist toilet, but rest assured, this will probably be the end of it (not really)

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I call bullshit on that map, there's no way Mexico isn't at least on the 50-200 range.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah lmao that map and venezuela somehow having less corruption than brazil, that map is bad

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Both of you realize that that map isn't a map of overall corruption, just odebrecht corruption?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Let us adopt the Cuban model, free of corruption

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

The communist (carnival) bloc.

i've been drinking hard since friday and the party keeps going till tuesday, i love my country, the rest of latin america and maybe the world should also have a week of complete debauchery every year

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

bagual posted:

I'm kind of afraid for these people.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm kind of afraid for these people.

It's probably gonna be fine, there's enough people to bash the eventual fash there.

There was this bloc tho that started a Fora Temer chant and got barred from the street carnival yesterday.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
no idea how it is on other states, but in Rio "Fora Temer" chants are common in every major carnival block that i've been to.

I aware of the bias, but i'm a middle class dude with friends in the arts/music/carnival scene, so these blocs are representative of what the RJ artistic people are thinking.

No way there will be any police action to stop any kind of anti-government speech, unless people try to set the state senate on fire or something like that.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did the samba school that included an ala about ranchers killing natives change their parade at all? I had read a story about but wasn't sure.

Also I hope Globo didn't fix their livestream so you can't see it outside Brazil - I watched both nights last year :negative:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
So hey, is it just me or did the meat scandal just destroyed brazilian meat reputation forever? lol

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
What Brazilian meat reputation?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

bagual posted:

i've been drinking hard since friday and the party keeps going till tuesday, i love my country, the rest of latin america and maybe the world should also have a week of complete debauchery every year

Pictured: dancing imbeciles.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well I still rather have that then Marcha da Famlia.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
When I think about groups that have historically brought ruin to Brazil I think about the communists who like to dance.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What Brazilian meat reputation?

Everybody here always knew stuff like friboi meat was disgusting but idk, foreigners seemed to have a more romantic vision about brazilian meat in general.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
For me, it was the president being scared of g-g-g-ghooooosttss that earned me the most poo poo from foreign friends.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

When I think about groups that have historically brought ruin to Brazil I think about the communists who like to dance.

Communists brought ruin to every country they touched, so I'm sure that given the chance they'd do the same there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Non Serviam posted:

Communists brought ruin to every country they touched, so I'm sure that given the chance they'd do the same there.

Brazil has never needed communists to be ruined, and it's not going to start now.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Hell yeah man, feudalism is still all the rage around these parts

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Brazil has never needed communists to be ruined, and it's not going to start now.

Which reminds me.

That graph about corruption is it just absolute numbers? Because isn't it obvious Brazil would have a larger amount than Uruguay or Guyana by that metric?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Non Serviam posted:

You're thinking of Stalinists. They're a very different bunch.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Non Serviam posted:

Which reminds me.

That graph about corruption is it just absolute numbers? Because isn't it obvious Brazil would have a larger amount than Uruguay or Guyana by that metric?

That graph's actually about just Odebrecht's bribes over the continent, a massive construction and engineering company with deep ties into brazilian politics since the military dictatorship. They had a freaking structured, rationalized bribe department going on. That's brazilian administrative efficiency for you.

Now if you want to see actual imbeciles dancing there's this video of the anti-Dilma people choreographing their dance. For some reason there's no more anti-corruption protests like this since her impeachment, which clearly means brazilian corruption has been completely eradicated just by ousting the only major center-left party from power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbxvx1NNvw

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Messi is a pussy and FIFA needs video replay.

Thanks for listening.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
People who want to understand Brazilian elites and the mutt complex have a good starting point in today's interview that the president of Andrade Gutierrez gave Folha. The first thing he talks about when explaining why he is disgusted by Dilma is her is "just look at her trying to speak French."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

joepinetree posted:

People who want to understand Brazilian elites and the mutt complex have a good starting point in today's interview that the president of Andrade Gutierrez gave Folha. The first thing he talks about when explaining why he is disgusted by Dilma is her is "just look at her trying to speak French."

I can see that being said from the mexican elite also. These guys are so disconnected from their country's reality like no other elite in any other region of the world.