Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the guy getting crushed up all tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Holy gently caress, this episode was perfect.

I would watch a show just about Jemaine Clement: musical mutant. Y'know, another one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, Hawley just continues to bust out super rad T.V. shows, ever since Fargo all he's done is spin pure gold. I hope he's also the head guy running the show in season 2. I figure you can add a few new characters to the hero side and a few low-level mutants and a super strong mutant on the evil government side and do a fun show with Shadow King out of his head (either entirely or just greatly diminished) and David vs. the government big gun. I'd certainly be behind David meeting his dad as well somewhere in the mix.

I think there's also rich ground to be mined about how David's power level is super terrifying even if he's 100% in control of it, melding people into surfaces and basically making whatever he wants to have happen, happen. You could do a fun angle with someone on the good guy side, maybe even his adoptive sister, betraying him just because they think he's too powerful to have in the world on any level. I mean, heroes (most notably Batman) have acted against Superman for that same reason, now imagine Superman recently hosted a crazy evil mind parasite and just generally acts barely sane.

Give Hawley another 10 years or so making shows like this and he'll have earned some kind of lifetime achievement award at the Emmys or some other major formal recognition, in my view he's more than halfway there already he just needs to string together a larger body of work at this same quality level.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i kind of liked the eye and wanted to learn more about his back story/see more of him as villain before he died

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ArmZ posted:

i kind of liked the eye and wanted to learn more about his back story/see more of him as villain before he died

It would be cool to learn more backstory but I'm glad that rapey rear end in a top hat got crushed up.

Edit: and I'm glad Hamish Linklater is back!

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
whoa that was insane good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow. This is the best show on TV right now, right? Because it feels and looks like it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Another good ep of a good show. One aesthetic misstep though I think has been making the Shadow King a CG character. Would have been more effective / menacing if it had the weight of a real person in ugly fat slug prosthetics, I think.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

neoaxd posted:

I got a real kick out of David doing a dubious Patrick Stewart impression in the classroom when talking about his father.

Yeah this coupled with the probably-x-wheels-wheelchair flash, coupled with the way he drew his father bald and how that's pretty much how Xavier's first battle with Shadow King went down, all add up to there being no bones about who his real father is in this adaptation.

Also in the same episode that it's not a doubt it's some variation of the Shadow King or that specific host with the name drop.

I think all the cards have been pretty much laid out on the table going back many episodes, and I don't understand why people here and elsewhere think up these crazy convoluted theories except that it's become habit/they enjoy it from experiences with shows in the past (I can think of one show in the past that definitely exploded this trend.) Noah Hawley said all along that this show wasn't going to be a puzzle box.

ozza posted:

Another good ep of a good show. One aesthetic misstep though I think has been making the Shadow King a CG character. Would have been more effective / menacing if it had the weight of a real person in ugly fat slug prosthetics, I think.

Again, the kind of post that makes me wonder if people even really pay attention to the poo poo they watch or if they're on their phones the whole time.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It's a very interesting show I'll say that.

It reminds me of Twin Peaks, but also Carnivale (I think the music around the Shadow King appearances many time is similar to father Justin's theme from that show). With a few drops of Hannibal's "dream-like" story telling.

I get the feeling that I would be very annoying if I was watching this with someone else, because I'm constantly filled with questions. Where was the Ptonomy guy for most of this episode (and its most crucial scenes while everyone else was working for getting out of the star plane or trapping the Shadow King)? What did Melanie whisper to the telekinisis guy? Why did Kerry not seek out Cary at all? What was that musical shield's purpose? What was up with Shadow King being completely poo poo at stopping Kerry from placing the halo thing on David? And how was Kerry able to do that from the astral plane in the first place?

And those are just a few OTOH from this episode.

But the show looks and feels like it is so different and good. So I'm mostly watching for the experience of it, even if I don't get what is happening most of the time. It's like "so that happened. Uhm... it was awesome"

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

Again, the kind of post that makes me wonder if people even really pay attention to the poo poo they watch or if they're on their phones the whole time.

That's a very passive aggressive way to respond to my comment. Why do you say that? Let's chat about it on this chatboard instead of talking past one another.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Pretty sure the Shadow King isn't CGI.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I felt like the official Shadow King reveal with Cary and Oliver lacked something. How do these people know who the Shadow King/Farouk is? If they were that intimately familiar with him before, why did they not jump to this conclusion before? There were some obviously a lot of exposition dumps in this episode, but the others worked a lot better for me than this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Because they thought he died a quarter of a century ago?

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
What was the eye whistling in the beginning? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Klungar posted:

I felt like the official Shadow King reveal with Cary and Oliver lacked something. How do these people know who the Shadow King/Farouk is? If they were that intimately familiar with him before, why did they not jump to this conclusion before? There were some obviously a lot of exposition dumps in this episode, but the others worked a lot better for me than this one.

At some point in the episode someone asked Cary/Bill Irwin who Farouk was when he mentioned it and he said something like "It's a long story..." Which is basically code for "maybe it'll be explained later."

As for why they didn't jump to that conclusion before, well, maybe they only knew him as Farouk who was a human host, and not SK/TYED. Basically, maybe wait and it'll be explained. Maybe not and oh well or it will be explained in Season 2.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AbstractNapper posted:

It's a very interesting show I'll say that.

It reminds me of Twin Peaks, but also Carnivale (I think the music around the Shadow King appearances many time is similar to father Justin's theme from that show). With a few drops of Hannibal's "dream-like" story telling.

I get the feeling that I would be very annoying if I was watching this with someone else, because I'm constantly filled with questions. Where was the Ptonomy guy for most of this episode (and its most crucial scenes while everyone else was working for getting out of the star plane or trapping the Shadow King)? What did Melanie whisper to the telekinisis guy? Why did Kerry not seek out Cary at all? What was that musical shield's purpose? What was up with Shadow King being completely poo poo at stopping Kerry from placing the halo thing on David? And how was Kerry able to do that from the astral plane in the first place?

And those are just a few OTOH from this episode.

But the show looks and feels like it is so different and good. So I'm mostly watching for the experience of it, even if I don't get what is happening most of the time. It's like "so that happened. Uhm... it was awesome"

I thought I knew the answers to all of these questions but when I went back and rewatched the scenes I realized I know nothing.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
That was a great episode.

Self-to-self exposition was great. "You're british?" "Like I said, I'm your rational mind" :britain:
Silent movie part was great.
Reverse "They Live" was great. Though "these glasses will show what's real" seems kinda silly when everything is a mental projection.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elite posted:

That was a great episode.

Self-to-self exposition was great. "You're british?" "Like I said, I'm your rational mind" :britain:
Silent movie part was great.
Reverse "They Live" was great. Though "these glasses will show what's real" seems kinda silly when everything is a mental projection.

I mean, I thought it made perfect sense - especially visually. You're using someone's mental artifacts to help pierce the veil of someone else's projected world. They could have gone with a glowy eye effect after being knobbed on the head or something, but the glasses also show a fragility of the guy's power versus the Shadow King's - like how they were knocked off during the fight.

I guess ultimately it was just a fun effect.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

AbstractNapper posted:

I assumed Melanie's whispers to telekinesis Rudy were something like "the hospital's fake, Lenny's the parasite," him getting cleaned up was realizing it was a projection. The timing was a little suspect, but he prevented Lenny from killing the girls right before they got the halo on and trapped SK.

Kerry was looking for Cary the whole time, but she was still respecting the bounds of the fake hospital. The musical shield was an attempt to stop the bullets, Shadow King noticed it and stopped Oliver. He didn't know what the halo was, and presumably didn't think to stop Cary from putting it on David. Last episode, Melanie tried to adjust a few things in the Real without success, I assumed the band was 'lighter' than the things she tried and Plot Magic made it work.

That last scene though. It didn't actually show David trying to take the halo off, guess I'd imagined that, but that break in the not-coffin.

My wife and I couldn't agree, the outdoor shots with the single lit office where SK was hanging out, it later showed David's throw-cups-around power blasting it, was that the tape-eating office? Or somewhere else?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This is such a good piece of television (probably the best i've ever seen) and I can't even convince people to watch it. They're like "So its a show about a dude in a mental hospital only he's a mutant?"

Dan Stevens has been a favorite ever since The Guest where he's amazing and Aubrey Plaza is consistently great in everything she's in. But this? Them? If they don't win ALL the awards then I dont know what.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

AndyElusive posted:

Wow. This is the best show on TV right now, right? Because it feels and looks like it.

Definitely the best directed but The Expanse is up there.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I realized while making my breakfast that I can't remember Ptonomy being in that episode at all.

Did he just loving vanish?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the eye character in any comics at all? Normally I can find the characters information and powers by googling them but not this guy.

NecroMonster posted:

I realized while making my breakfast that I can't remember Ptonomy being in that episode at all.

Did he just loving vanish?

He showed up once they unfroze time. I thought shadow king killed him last episode.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

With the exception of David, Farouk, and possibly David's father, all of these characters appear to be completely new.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

JawnV6 posted:

I assumed Melanie's whispers to telekinesis Rudy were something like "the hospital's fake, Lenny's the parasite," him getting cleaned up was realizing it was a projection. The timing was a little suspect, but he prevented Lenny from killing the girls right before they got the halo on and trapped SK.

Kerry was looking for Cary the whole time, but she was still respecting the bounds of the fake hospital. The musical shield was an attempt to stop the bullets, Shadow King noticed it and stopped Oliver. He didn't know what the halo was, and presumably didn't think to stop Cary from putting it on David. Last episode, Melanie tried to adjust a few things in the Real without success, I assumed the band was 'lighter' than the things she tried and Plot Magic made it work.

That last scene though. It didn't actually show David trying to take the halo off, guess I'd imagined that, but that break in the not-coffin.

My wife and I couldn't agree, the outdoor shots with the single lit office where SK was hanging out, it later showed David's throw-cups-around power blasting it, was that the tape-eating office? Or somewhere else?
Much of that makes good sense. The rest I am going to have to accept as is.

I confused kerry and cary didn't I?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ptonomy was sidelined last episode being forced to watch his mother die over and over.

I assume he wasn't needed for the final plan to break everyone out and snapped out of it when they did.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

I've recently been doing a Carnivale rewatch and thought the same thing!

Serf
May 5, 2011

This episode ruled. The whole show rules so far. Each time I think I have it figured out it pulls the rug out from under me.

Next week I'm expecting the D13 mooks to open up on the Summerland people and we discover that they're all mental projections of David's.

Also will we finally learn the secret of what was in the cage?? :ohdear:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah this coupled with the probably-x-wheels-wheelchair flash, coupled with the way he drew his father bald and how that's pretty much how Xavier's first battle with Shadow King went down, all add up to there being no bones about who his real father is in this adaptation.

The Seth Myers interview pretty much confirms it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blotlQRWWYU&t=15s

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

This episode ruled. The whole show rules so far. Each time I think I have it figured out it pulls the rug out from under me.

Next week I'm expecting the D13 mooks to open up on the Summerland people and we discover that they're all mental projections of David's.

Also will we finally learn the secret of what was in the cage?? :ohdear:

Another relevant thing I noticed when David was locked in the mental coffin last episode you could head hundreds of other voices calling him stupid. I am guessing these other people in his mind might help him with the shadow king.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

AbstractNapper posted:

I confused kerry and cary didn't I?
I think you did, I answered the questions as posed :v: He was so wound up in Oliver and saving everyone, left her alone to deal with Walter.

The thing I meant to bring up was Melanie and Oliver. How many scenes were there where Melanie had to face her husband after 20+ years and get nothing back? The most he offers is vague recognition. Those were just heartbreaking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic episode. Although I think I missed what the deal with that Rudy guy was.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Escobarbarian posted:

Fantastic episode. Although I think I missed what the deal with that Rudy guy was.

2 episodes back he went upstairs and wandered off. It wasn't shown but it's implied that Walter comes in after them, takes on Rudy's appearance, stabs him, and leaves him for dead in the closet. Melanie finds him bleeding out during the pause, whispers to him, in Astral he wakes up and stalls Lenny for a brief moment before she's trapped in the box by Cary's halo.

He's on the stretcher when they get back to Summerland, given that Kerry took a bullet to the chest and survived he can probably pull through too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah cool, thanks!

If anyone still wants a Legion av I'm sure some of Plaza's expressions during the b/w silent bit would make for great avatars.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Affi posted:

This is such a good piece of television (probably the best i've ever seen) and I can't even convince people to watch it. They're like "So its a show about a dude in a mental hospital only he's a mutant?"

Dan Stevens has been a favorite ever since The Guest where he's amazing and Aubrey Plaza is consistently great in everything she's in. But this? Them? If they don't win ALL the awards then I dont know what.

Tell them it's a schizophrenic LSD trip with an interesting story interwoven through an incredible aesthetic style lead by a very sexy and outstanding Aubrey Plaza.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jemaine is a great choice, I just want him to sing every episode.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah cool, thanks!

If anyone still wants a Legion av I'm sure some of Plaza's expressions during the b/w silent bit would make for great avatars.

I want an av of Plaza mock shooting herself in the head, I loved that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part about all this is, even without Farouk's influence, David is still a twitchy, spazzy weirdo. There's something very appealing about the World's Most Powerful Telekinetic being in a perpetually bewildered state. :allears:

Although the best part of an already incredible episode was Oliver not dropping his martini being held at gunpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Yes it is. This is the first show in a long time that I find my eyes completely glued to the screen for the entire time. It's such a visual and intriguing treat.

I kind of wish these guys were rebooting Star Trek. They could rehash every old storyline and probably make it mind-fuckingly awesome.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2017