Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baronjutter posted:

This could so easily be solved by simply adding traits and environment prefs to your primary species representing the more specialized diversity. You're never using more than 1 planet preference at a time so just stack them. Have humans that have continental AND ocean habitability. It's the same species but it's just abstracting the fact that you can at-will gene mod your pops to enjoy those planets. Don't make me make seperate pops with a mineral extraction bonus, a farming bonus, a an engineering bonus and so on, just stack them. A pop is only ever using one of those bonuses at a time, so just de-clutter the list and represent that increased diversity within your species. Your own gene modded pops don't count for xenophobia if they have the same name/portrait anyways. I can't think of anything that would be lost, other than spam on the species list.

I always assumed that the gene-modding techs is something you're doing to your people more dynamically. You move from your continental planet to this new ocean planet, no problem a doctor just activates your dormant gill genes. Moving to a desert planet? No problem, visit the clinic a few times and within a month your metabolism has been adjusted for the higher temperatures and your body conserves water better. So just stack the planet preferences and assume your pops are getting what ever genes and bio-engineering activated as needed when they move around.

See, this is actually a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
So basically;

1) It should not be possible to genetically modify individual pops, all gene-modding should be done on a species-wide level.

3) The amount of time it takes to modify a species should be dramatically reduced.

3) The number of trait points gained through techs should be increased.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 24, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

VirtualStranger posted:

3) The amount of time it takes to modify a species should be dramatically reduced.

3) The number of trait points gained through techs should be increased.

Utopia is doing both of these

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Sadly those don't solve the problem of sub-species cluttering up the UI. Streamlining it so when you get good enough at gene tech to give your people "X-type Habitability" and you're paying your research and time cost for it, it just gives you that habitability in addition to your existing traits would work, probably. And really, what utility is lost by doing that?

Goofy alternative: Make that kind of "better at task x" genemodding a policy that has society reserach upkeep. You spend x-per-month research to modify the appropriate pops with the appropriate genes (scales with population size) - no need for subspecies.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another option would be just adding a tree structure to the species list.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Another option would be just adding a tree structure to the species list.

Posting a good idea in the Unbelievably Awful Ideas Thread. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What if we replaced the species list with a stack of NATO counters?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What's the NATO counter for adorable robots? :3:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Baronjutter posted:

Don't make me make seperate pops with a mineral extraction bonus, a farming bonus, a an engineering bonus and so on, just stack them. A pop is only ever using one of those bonuses at a time

This part is actually not true.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

NATO counters

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zurai posted:

This part is actually not true.

Only for the capital and certain undeveloped tiles, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ulmont posted:

Only for the capital and certain undeveloped tiles, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Research labs all generate multiple types of research and he specifically mentioned engineering bonuses.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's also the xeno zoo. There are probably modded buildings that produce multiple outputs as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zurai posted:

Research labs all generate multiple types of research and he specifically mentioned engineering bonuses.

I considered adding "(assuming that all research is rolled up into one thing)", but didn't add it. Consider it added and I re-ask my question.

GotLag posted:

There's also the xeno zoo. There are probably modded buildings that produce multiple outputs as well.

The Xeno Zoo is pure society research as far as food/minerals/energy/research is concerned, and go ahead and consider "(and not considering modded buildings when discussing suggestions to the base game)" added as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This game really needs message settings like CK2 and EUIV.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Sanctuary system needs work. It's a ring with four habitable segments with primitives on them, who seem to all be at the medieval stage or earlier when you make contact. This means that you can't infiltrate and immediately integrate, you can only enlighten them, at which point you'll have a system with four protectorates in it until you wait a century for them to tech up to vassals and integrate them one at a time over however many decades that takes. And during this whole time you can't use those four sweet, sweet ringworld zones.
Or you can invade, which costs ~120 influence and gives you -100 opinion modifier with all your neighbours.
There should be some kind of event triggered by destroying all the protective stations that gives you control over the planets (I don't care if the natives still have culture shock).

On an unrelated note, why does it cost influence to relocate robots/droids? Why does it take a decade to decommission them?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Voyager I posted:

A game system that boils down to a single optimal solution isn't really a game. Yes, sure, the players can voluntarily choose to do something else for flavor, but that doesn't mean the system is well designed if it can't offer players meaningful choices other than "what will be my gimmick for this LP?".

I mean, almost every system in every game I've played has had an optimal solution. You've never seen the big lists of numbers, stats, and ratios of encountered circumstances to prove that, to give a made-up example, the best DPS in Yamato Zone S is gotten by taking the Cyberranger class, putting all points into Mindblast, and equipping the legendary Ophanim set?

But people still do other things, because other things are good enough, and also fun.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GotLag posted:

Why does it take a decade to decommission them?

Have you never noticed the lengths people will go to ignore factory recalls on cars and phones and the like? That part's totally believable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Voyager I posted:

A game system that boils down to a single optimal solution isn't really a game. Yes, sure, the players can voluntarily choose to do something else for flavor, but that doesn't mean the system is well designed if it can't offer players meaningful choices other than "what will be my gimmick for this LP?".
Having an optimal solution is fine, as long the other solutions are 98% as effective and meaningfully distinct. With Stellaris combat the only difference between two combats is how fast the lines go down, so the only factor to consider is line go down efficiency. Compare SotS where there's visceral, tactical, and strategic differences between a combat where you're trying to punch a hole for your plague ships vs a fight where you're hucking asteroids vs a fight where you're just sending big tanky ships into missile range. In Endless Space ship design is minimalist and so is combat. Stellaris takes a worst of all worlds approach where ship design is a complex process feeding into an abstract combat system.

I think everyone agrees that the ship/combat relationship is busted, it's just an argument about whether to add or remove things to fix it. If ship design is going to stay as it is it needs to provide choices beyond an obfuscated RPS system and feed into something that provides fun, visceral feedback. If tactical combat is going to stay as it is then ship design should be stripped down to a few meaningful RPS choices and the focus shifted entirely to scouting and out producing your enemies. I strongly prefer the former.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 24, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Prawned posted:

I always like to imagine you are reading this thread in the exact pose from your avatar.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wiz's teasing patchnotes excerpts today and until next thursday, so it would be a good follow right now: https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward

So far:

- Being the first to find a Precursor homeworld now yields a large amount of Unity.

- When infiltration of a primitive world finishes, the planet now gets a large happiness boost for 20 years

- Also, Infiltration is now possible with Active Interference, so can be done by Xenophiles and Pacifists that don't want to invade.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

The Sanctuary system needs work. It's a ring with four habitable segments with primitives on them, who seem to all be at the medieval stage or earlier when you make contact. This means that you can't infiltrate and immediately integrate, you can only enlighten them, at which point you'll have a system with four protectorates in it until you wait a century for them to tech up to vassals and integrate them one at a time over however many decades that takes. And during this whole time you can't use those four sweet, sweet ringworld zones.
Or you can invade, which costs ~120 influence and gives you -100 opinion modifier with all your neighbours.
There should be some kind of event triggered by destroying all the protective stations that gives you control over the planets (I don't care if the natives still have culture shock).

I'd rather see the Enlightenment system change to entail accelerating their development through successive ages of technology, which you can stop once they get good enough to infiltrate. Basically grooming them for a covert takeover.

...this is a really creepy concept now that I've written it out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GunnerJ posted:

We've already got species-wide cannibalism, what's a little galactic paedophilia? :v:

But yeah, on a more serious note it's hard to play a xenophilic species that nevertheless wants these cute cuddly aliens in their own Empire as opposed to developing on their own- some means of accelerating their technological development would be wonderful.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

McGavin posted:

This game really needs message settings like CK2 and EUIV.

[casually sharpening knife which is also a gun]

did i just hear someone say this game, should be more like other paradox games...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
No but for real please let me set something so I only get diplomacy reports from designated other empires or categories (neighbors and/or fed partners and/or rivals, things like that) and turn off certain messages entirely (will never care when someone enters a migration treaty).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

GunnerJ posted:

I'd rather see the Enlightenment system change to entail accelerating their development through successive ages of technology, which you can stop once they get good enough to infiltrate. Basically grooming them for a covert takeover.

Enlightenment should end with a choice to integrate immediately or create a protectorate. Potential down-sides to immediate integration could be strong pro-independence factions if the primitives' ethos is different to yours. Full interference mode should achieve the same but much quicker, with less chance your ethos will rub off on the primitives.

There should also be another policy or two, allowing suppression of primitive development. This could be a xenophobe thing, to stop uppity neo-barbs from sullying their territory, or villainous types may be able to use these planets as a source of armies/slaves/food. This would of course upset xenophiles.

Edit: now I'm imagining xenophile empires smuggling advanced weapons to suppressed planets, and with enough effort encouraging them to revolt against their oppressors

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 24, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

Enlightenment should end with a choice to integrate immediately or create a protectorate. Potential down-sides to immediate integration could be strong pro-independence factions if the primitives' ethos is different to yours. Full interference mode should achieve the same but much quicker, with less chance your ethos will rub off on the primitives.

There should also be another policy or two, allowing suppression of primitive development. This could be a xenophobe thing, to stop uppity neo-barbs from sullying their territory, or villainous types may be able to use these planets as a source of armies/slaves/food. This would of course upset xenophiles.

Edit: now I'm imagining xenophile empires smuggling advanced weapons to suppressed planets, and with enough effort encouraging them to revolt against their oppressors
I want a quest chain where you send a big robot and his clone pal to take all an atomic age empire's nukes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

On the flip side, let's have an event chain for the more invasion oriented where you send a big robot to subjugate a planet, but there's a chance he'll hit is head and befriend a local child instead.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Cute tiny drone. Culture/Eva-from-Wall-E style this time

edit: And yes the blinks are super annoying and distracting - workin' on it :shobon:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
We need a big bot that barely fits on the screen next.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Obviously something like this gentle giant:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Space Skeleton posted:

Obviously something like this gentle giant:

https://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/04/15/warbot_003-online-dating-service/

:(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just do, like... a server stack with speakers. Something clearly fixed and immobile, less "robot" and more "AI housing".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Just do, like... a server stack with speakers. Something clearly fixed and immobile, less "robot" and more "AI housing".
A big screen with an angry emoticon face >:[

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Diegetically, what makes Unity distinct from Influence and Sociology points (if anything does?) Sociology represents technical know-how of how to organize people (or living systems generally) better, while Influence is political capital to get decision-makers to do what you want; some vague combination of this seems to be what Unity would represent, I think?

((also why are the techs split phys/soc/eng rather than {phys+eng}/soc/bio when nearly all the interesting techs are the green ones))

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Unity is support from the people, Influence is how much the leadership can get away with. Unity is entirely internal, while Influence can also be used for between-empire interactions. At least that's what it looks like, what with Unity being affected negatively by amount of pops, built by turning over planet tiles to unproductive monuments and by happy factions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the limits to influence generation are how much international willy waving you're doing, with outposts and treaties, whereas unity appears to be primarily based on how your intranational playstyle is going.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Made a few tweaks to it - looks a little cuter and svelter now, and now the blinks actually look like they're SUPPOSED to be there instead of glitches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the blinks might look better if there was just a colour change flicking over the screen rather than the... screen itself contracting? It doesn't look like it should be able to do that.

Dunno if the animation system allows you to do that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think the blinks might look better if there was just a colour change flicking over the screen rather than the... screen itself contracting? It doesn't look like it should be able to do that.

Dunno if the animation system allows you to do that, though.

It doesn't! There's no 'animation', it's just a texture being squashed and stretched and rotated, so I've got to make do with what I have, alas.

• Locked thread